Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

350z's at ViR (road course in VA) **Video inside**

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 06:32 AM
Eric1h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, i almost thought about trying to do a warranty, but i had already bought the pads, and i think i wouldve done more damage if i tried to drive home.

Thanks for the compliments Dave!!
Old 04-19-2003, 03:36 PM
bhobson333

Default Video on VCD

I have put the entire video footage that Eric took on VCD. The quality is pretty damn good, it fits on one CD-R, & you can play VCDs in most DVD players. Eric has agreed to let it out to the world; does anyone want it?

I'll send a copy to Rob, Dave & Eric if they will PM me their snail-mail addresses.

There are two complete 30-minute runs, Saturday run 2 & Sunday run 2 from inside the car. There is a couple minutes of Eric standing in the paddock following that monster Corvette with the camera, & there is 7 minutes that Liz took from the paddock of Sunday run 3.

Except for the three people mentioned above, I figure $5 to cover my time duping it and S&H is fair. PM me if you want one.

Last edited by bhobson333; 04-19-2003 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Eric1h

Thanks Brian, the video looks greeat!!
Old 04-20-2003, 05:12 AM
Flyingscot

Well, I'm glad to see you guys finally made it to the track and came away with the same sense of awe that hits most people. There really is no better place to put your Z car through the paces than a well designed Road course like VIR. The quality of Road courses around here are so poor that I often refer to VIR as "Disney World for amateur racers."

Anyway, I know you guys had fun on the south course. The 1.65 mile track makes for a fun learning environment because of the slightly reduced speeds and fewer turns to remember. But, just wait till you get your four rubber patches all over the North and Full courses. You will definitely be needing a change of underwear then.

I’ll be there in the first weekend of May with the Alfa club. And yes, this time the 350Z is going to be the weapon of choice.
I hope to see some of you back at VIR in the near future.

BTW Brian, sorry for the "exciting" ride a gave you. The brakes got worse after my session with Eric, which I hadn't anticipated. It's amazing how much smoother you can drive when you have a brake pedal that doesn't go to the floor.

Also, the VIR South Course is famous for eating brakes alive. If you can survive the South Couse, you can survive anything.

Regards,

Cameron
Old 04-20-2003, 05:19 AM
bhobson333

Originally posted by Flyingscot
I’ll be there in the first weekend of May with the Alfa club. And yes, this time the 350Z is going to be the weapon of choice.
I might have to take a day trip up to see an experienced driver put the 350Z through its paces. Which course will you be running?
Old 04-20-2003, 05:44 AM
Flyingscot

Originally posted by bhobson333
I might have to take a day trip up to see an experienced driver put the 350Z through its paces. Which course will you be running?
The Alfa club has booked the North Course. I think it's a first for them. Not many clubs get to book the North Course (the bikers use it) so when we saw it on the schedule we all got excited.

The North Course has a bend called "Stevie Wonder". I remember asking someone why it was called that. The answer was "You'll see, or maybe you won't!" Some joker called it Stevie Wonder because it's a totally blind corner.

Might see you there!

Cameron
Old 04-20-2003, 02:51 PM
Eric1h

I smell a day trip! If you go brian i would love to tag along. See cameron drive a car with BRAKES! hehehe, Cameron took me for a hella ride!
Old 04-20-2003, 03:07 PM
bhobson333

BTW Brian, sorry for the "exciting" ride a gave you. The brakes got worse after my session with Eric, which I hadn't anticipated. It's amazing how much smoother you can drive when you have a brake pedal that doesn't go to the floor.
I never mind an exciting ride. Actually, it would have been better if you had had brakes you could rely on, you would have driven harder.......Hmmmm..... Actually, it was horrible. I think you need to make it up to me by letting me ride during one of your sessions with the alpha club!

Of course, Eric, if I go I'll see if you want to go. Then we need to decide if we do the practical thing & ride together or if we do the fun thing & both drive up. We may even get some other local 350Zs to go along!

Last edited by bhobson333; 04-20-2003 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Flyingscot

Originally posted by bhobson333
Actually, it would have been better if you had had brakes you could rely on, you would have driven harder...
Well, at the very least I would have driven smoother. And we all know the old saying that smoother is always faster.

After riding with Eric, I'm now looking forward to getting my 350Z on tracking. A gentle push like having my track car out of commission for a while was all that I needed.

BTW, my two friends Walt and Tim, who are big BMW M3 fans (and current owners), were very impressed with the way the car handled and the amount of torque on tap. Walt’s previous car was a 996. He’s also been instructing for years and has seen it all. So a thumbs up from Walt is okay by me. In addition, Tim (Eric’s instructor) expects my track Z to dominate the old E36 M3s with no trouble at all. This is a good thing considering the old E36 is the car of choice, especially at the BMW Club events.

For those debating the 350Z versus the E46 M3, I can say this: The E46 is faster in a straight line, but, from what I have seen it's slightly more challenging to drive around corners. So I think it would all depend on the driver.

If you are serious about wanting a ride, I will need to check on the Alfa club’s rules. I know the THSCC allows passengers as long as they complete a medical form and sign the release waver. If nothing else, you get to see the North Course and can do a little reconnaissance for your NEXT EVENT!

Again, hope to see you there!

Cameron

Last edited by Flyingscot; 04-20-2003 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:16 AM
Eric1h

sweeeet! And all the compliments from the M3 guys is great considering all the drivers of the 350z were newbys!!

Yeah, Tim(my nstructor) kept saying all day, "man this things handles great, im jealuos!!"
Old 04-21-2003, 05:11 AM
Bobcaygeon

Default VIR north course

I'm jealous....have a great time guys!
Old 04-21-2003, 05:19 AM
Eric1h

Dave, come on down, its only what 800 or so miles? piece of cake. lol. hehehe JK I'll take some more video so you can live vicariously through the video.

Last edited by Eric1h; 04-21-2003 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:40 AM
Bobcaygeon

Default the "bug"

Eric I'd do it again in a minute....don't tempt me ! I do have the bug for sure and can't wait to do it again. Liz threatens if I become a track head but she's into it as much as I am. She is asking about the where and when of the next event. I have feelers out up here for the courses (BMW and Porche) clubs run at Mosport, 40 minutes from home.
BTW, can't wait to get Brians video.
Cheers
Dave

PS: We all gotta do Beaverun if it comes up....I'm in.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:48 AM
Flyingscot

Yep! The 350z is the first new car in years that can truly displace the E36 M3 at the track. That's not to say the old M3 is a bad car. On the contrary, it has set the benchmark for years. And the BMWs have proven reliable which is something many cars cannot say. All we need now is a thriving aftermarket community and a few 350z racing teams. I hope NISMO does in the US what they have done in Japan, namely to make their name known as a true performance leader.

The only other car to watch is the RX8. Fun times indeed!

Fly
Old 04-21-2003, 09:32 AM
bhobson333

The only other car to watch is the RX8. Fun times indeed!
My neighbor across the street (currently drives a TransAm) was DROOLING all over my Z when I first got it. He told me the other day that he had ordered a red RX-8 and is expecting it in June.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:56 AM
Welsh 350Z N

Smile

Nice vids guys. I haven't had any track time in my Z but am really looking forward to it. I am in upstate NY so was excited to see that there is time to be had at Watkins Glen. I've got to get some of that.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Bobcaygeon

Default brakes vs VIR ....again

Hi guys:
Last comment on brakes: Due to schedules, today was the day to get the brakes looked at after VIR. The results were surprising. I claimed warranty, the dealer said no but ended up picking up the labor charge. It was their first 350 brake job so they chalked it up to learning.
The rears were gone. The pads tapered from about 1/8 th inch to the thickness of a piece of paper before it was metal to metal. No damage to the rotors. The fronts have 70% left according to them, I saw it for myself. All in all, not too expensive of a morning. Good as new now.

But...

******** here backed into a curb last night and crumpled a chrome tip. They are not replaceable and the car sounds like it has asthma! $ 350 for a new muffler complete with tips welded in. I think it's time for a performance muffler shop, some custom work and maybe a catback. I refuse to tell anyone it was a curb. Spinning out at VIR and brushing a wall sounds so much more exciting and less stupid don't you think?
Cheers
Dave
Old 04-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Eric1h

ohhhh DUDE, time for the flowmaster 80 series and some brospeed tips!! you can get the whole deal for way under $300( even in canadian money)

The muffler can be bought at www.summitracing.com for about 100 bucks. and you may be able to get the resonated tips, im dieing to hea rhow it sounds, but i KNOW itll sound great, i just dont have time to get mine to the exhaust shop. let me know if you need any help or advice on exhaust hints (oh yah and have the resonator removed)
Old 07-12-2003, 11:53 AM
Blue Liquid

Great thread guys. When I had my Type R, I went to Lime Rock Park, last November 2002. There were two Z's there, a track and a performance. They were in my run group. I have some cool in-car video footage from my car. I pass the Z, get passed, then pass him again. I still remember one time I came out onto the front straight right on his rear bumper, then watched him walk away like I was parked. The Z is fast! But, my car was much lighter and handled really well, so it was no problem staying glued in the turns. I'm going to try to find a way to make the mpeg smaller (it's over 200 megs) and post it here. I can't wait till my Z arrives (few more weeks) and hit the tracks again. I've been to Pocono, Summit Point, and Lime Rock.