Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 07:48 PM
xtreme350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 350Z Enth. VS. Camaro Z28

Originally posted by Nissan350ZTT
Who would win with equal drivers
simple question, simple answer boys.

With EQUAL drivers... it comes down to the potential of the vehicles. A well driven LS1 / 6 spd is typically a 13 flat car. A well driven 350z / 6 spd is typically a 14 flat car. That's roughly a 1 second difference when measured up against the 1/4 mile. Equal drivers, equal conditions - advantage LS1.

Now this is NOT a perfect world, so anything can happen. But when you take away all the variables, what you have left is one car that should be able to edge out the other. I say good luck to both drivers, and definetly do a few runs versus just one run, said and done.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:06 PM
FLY BY Z

That's right and 1 second in the 1/4 is about 10 car lengths. Personally, I think that a lot of Z drivers are not taking their cars to the limit when they have taken them to the strip. I think a Z could do better. But def. not more than a 13.8 or so stock.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:53 AM
Steve98TransAm

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
That's right and 1 second in the 1/4 is about 10 car lengths. Personally, I think that a lot of Z drivers are not taking their cars to the limit when they have taken them to the strip. I think a Z could do better. But def. not more than a 13.8 or so stock.
I agree that a lot of a vehicles potential gets "left on the table" when your average joe gets behind the wheel. The last time I was at National Trail Raceway there was a beautiful Orange colored 350Z. I was in the stands watching at the time, and everybody else was eager to see how he'd run. I said to the guy next to me, watch him go 14.1 @ 99mph. Nope, the guy ran like a 15.5 and his speed was in the mid 90's which is so far below the vehicle's potential that you just felt bad for the guy...

Shortly after him, a '01 WS6 6-speed ran a 13.9 @ 104. I went and talked to the guy and he said his best was 13.0 @ 109 on street tires, and that he was trying out drag radials for the first time. This guy didn't know how to launch on drag radials at all, thus he bogged BIG TIME and had super crappy times. You could tell the car about wanted to die when he launched it, it was pretty funny actually. That same day I ran my typical 13.4 - 13.5 so the track wasn't running "slow" because of the weather or any other reason.

Sometimes you begin to wonder if people enjoy running crappy times. They just never seem to "figure it out" even after you've seen them run the same crappy times like 3 or 4 times in a row.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:06 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

Originally posted by Steve98TransAm
Sometimes you begin to wonder if people enjoy running crappy times. They just never seem to "figure it out" even after you've seen them run the same crappy times like 3 or 4 times in a row.
it's part of the learning process.....i've run 15's when i missed a shift, or sat at the tree spinning my wheels
Old 07-08-2003, 12:36 AM
Y2KLS1Camaro

Default Re: Re: 350Z Enth. VS. Camaro Z28

Originally posted by xtreme350z
simple question, simple answer boys.

With EQUAL drivers... it comes down to the potential of the vehicles. A well driven LS1 / 6 spd is typically a 13 flat car. A well driven 350z / 6 spd is typically a 14 flat car. That's roughly a 1 second difference when measured up against the 1/4 mile. Equal drivers, equal conditions - advantage LS1.

Now this is NOT a perfect world, so anything can happen. But when you take away all the variables, what you have left is one car that should be able to edge out the other. I say good luck to both drivers, and definetly do a few runs versus just one run, said and done.
I completely agree with the above statement. In fact, it should be required reading to anybody claiming they beat a 350Z with their nearly-stock 79 Accord, or killed an LS1 by bus lengths in a bolt-on Miata. I once put half a city block on a Viper from a dig in my old 2000 Z28. Do I claim a kill? Hell no, because I know that's impossible, and the gas station he turned into kinda clued me in, even though he gunned it outta the hole just to f#%k with me!

The 350Z is a badass car. I respect real performance no matter what country produces it. Lets all just keep it real!
Old 07-09-2003, 08:28 PM
92hatchattack

well.. theres too much bs to sort through -- lots has to do with driver.... i only belive what i see....... what have i seen........ive seen about 6 SS/z28 rund at the track........ none of them hitting under 13.8 ----- ive also seen about 5 new M3 runs...... none hitting faster than 14.1 ........... i belive what i see... not the bs i see here.. when i see faster times, ill aknoledge them willingly... untill then.........

i personaly have run 14.0 with my Z second time at track with 3500 miles on her.. havent been back since..........

my opinion of z28-SS........ there a slightly faster car...... and their 3rd gear is potent without a doubt.......... id image theyd have a z by 2-3 carslengths...... but ill let u know for sure when i get my shot at one

raced an SS at the track in my 92 hatch ...... yeah -- his third pulled hard on me...... still only ran a 14.2 to my 14.6..... needless to say i was fairly satisfied
Old 07-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Y2KLS1Camaro

Originally posted by 92hatchattack
well.. theres too much bs to sort through -- lots has to do with driver.... i only belive what i see....... what have i seen........ive seen about 6 SS/z28 rund at the track........ none of them hitting under 13.8 ----- ive also seen about 5 new M3 runs...... none hitting faster than 14.1 ........... i belive what i see... not the bs i see here.. when i see faster times, ill aknoledge them willingly... untill then.........

i personaly have run 14.0 with my Z second time at track with 3500 miles on her.. havent been back since..........

my opinion of z28-SS........ there a slightly faster car...... and their 3rd gear is potent without a doubt.......... id image theyd have a z by 2-3 carslengths...... but ill let u know for sure when i get my shot at one

raced an SS at the track in my 92 hatch ...... yeah -- his third pulled hard on me...... still only ran a 14.2 to my 14.6..... needless to say i was fairly satisfied
An SS is only SLIGHTLY faster than a 350Z? Then I guess that means your 350Z is only slightly faster than a fat man on stilts because that's the performance difference between a stock Z and a stock LS1! C'mon! Maybe I need to dig out the video of my old BONESTOCK 2000 A4 Z28 running a 13.52 @ 106.79 in 100 degree heat and post it here.

Besides, if you ran 14.0 the same time LS1's were running 13.8, then those guys could straight up not drive. What were they trapping? What were you trapping? Look at my sig. My ET sucks but the MPH is there, even on a crap track.

Anyway, if you're ever in SoCal, drop me a line. I'll give you 10 and the move and we'll see if I win by just "2-3 carlengths." That should make up for my "slight" horsepower advantage over a stock LS1.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:04 PM
92hatchattack

relax man --- like i said -- i only belive what i see... and im telling u what i have seen --- and yes.. well drivin..... i dont have any problem seing a z28 going 13.5 this is in my opinion very reasonable......... but a well driven z can also go 13.8......... ...
Old 07-09-2003, 10:11 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok mods, time to close this thread. It is getting pretty out of hand as far as people not respecting other's opinion's and this import vs. domestic thing. I know the answer to what I asked and appreciate the help, I was just curious. This thread is dead.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:33 AM
Steve98TransAm

Originally posted by 92hatchattack
i only belive what i see....... what have i seen........ive seen about 6 SS/z28 rund at the track........ none of them hitting under 13.8 ----- ive also seen about 5 new M3 runs...... none hitting faster than 14.1 ........... i belive what i see... not the bs i see here..

I agree that you should believe what you see at the track. I've been to 5 different tracks in the last two years (Norwalk OH, Marion County OH, National Trail OH, Edgewater OH, and Milan MI) all of them are in the same part of the country, with roughly the same elevation. The times I've seen from track to track vary quite a bit, my own personal times included.

I've seen probably 20 - 30 LS1 F-body's at the track run 13.9's or worse. Those times did happen, and I'm sure they happen everywhere else in the country. But if you pay attention closely and watch those people run, you'll find out why. People doing burnouts in the waterbox while on street tires, people not doing burnouts at all, people just plain driving through the waterbox, people bogging a lot off the line, people spinning the tires like crazy, 2.7 60's, the list goes on and on. It's mostly bad drivers, or bad conditions. I've also seen people in bone stock M6 LS1's run 13.1's - 13.3's at the same tracks that the other people run 13.9's on.

If you yourself have run 14.0's in your stock 350Z where the best stock LS1's are only running 13.9's, please go offer to drive their car for them. You could run a mid 13 in that person's car, with no problems. You have good driver skill, many others do not.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:26 AM
Last WS6

Who the hell brought this dead thread back to life??? KIll em.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:18 PM
ELS1

come to houston raceway park...im pretty sure ull see a lot of ls1's runnin 13.4 and under