Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Racing Helmet Information

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 04:59 PM
gaseous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Helmet Information

I've gone through the search and was unable to really find an answer to this question.

I've signed up for F.A.T.T. at Summit Point for August and am hoping to continue to try these road driving events often. The rules require a helmet and I want to purchase one to use in the long run instead of renting it (that and I don't want to stick my head where who knows how many others have been).

My question is, what is the rating for auto racing helmets that I should be looking for? I tried looking on the BSR website but couldn't find a specific answer.

I've been looking at online sites and have seen Snell M2000, Snell SA2000, SA00, and K98 certifications on different helmets.

That being said, are GForce or Bell Helmets any good? GForce seems cheaper, is that a set of helmets that should be avoided? I figure in safety I won't skimp on money.

Also, anyone have any idea what shops I can find these helmets at in the MD, DC, VA area? Online is nice but I'd like to be able to do a test fit and get the right fitting helmet.

Last but not least, is a helmet all that is required?

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:29 PM
Caswell

I'm not sure about the K98 spec, but the Snell M-rated helmets are typically considered for motorcycle use and the SA-rated versions for auto racing. Now, before you plop down the cash for an SA helmet you should know that the significant difference is fire protection. SA-rated helmets are lined with Nomex or a similar fire resistant fabric while M-rated helmets are not. Since you probably won't be wearing head to toe fire protection there's no need to get the SA version IMHO.

As for brand, I swear by Simpson - but that's because I had my head hit the wall three times and hit the ground once when I was ejected at around 60mph in a kart race and walked away. Bell makes a great hemlet as well.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:14 PM
brackethead

Try OG Racing in Manassas. You can browse their web site first, and you might be close enough to head out to VA and check them out in person: www.ogracing.com. I bought a Bell M2 from them recently.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:40 PM
2003z

or try www.discoveryparts.com It's owned by a member of our Z club, and he sells throughout the southeast. Most events will allow an M rated helmet, but a few only allow SA rated helmets. You are best of going SA2000, but an M2000 will work at 90% of events.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:17 AM
gaseous

Thanks for the information. That cleared up quite a bit of the confusion.

I'll drop by the shops in the following weeks and take a look around.

So it seems that the best bet would be an SA-rated just in case I later enter an event that would require that, but other than that an M-rated is perfectly suitable.

Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:45 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by brackethead
Try OG Racing in Manassas. You can browse their web site first, and you might be close enough to head out to VA and check them out in person: www.ogracing.com. I bought a Bell M2 from them recently.
OG Racing gets a big from me. I highly recommend their shop as they have a large variety of Snell-approved helmets in all sorts of sizes. Stop by and try some on, as every helmet feels different. I myself got some basic, a simply Bell M2, but it's sufficient for my current needs.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:25 PM
FlyingToaster

One more from me on OG Racing; great shop and people. They are also very close supporter of our club (BMWCCA).

I stoped by couple of weeks ago, tried bunch of helmets and shoes; got a Bell M3Pro and Piloti for a very reasonable price And very happy with them thus far.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:11 PM
zerohour

Find out what kind of racing you will be doing. Right now doing speed trials I only need SA 95 This will still be good for my purposes. If i were you however i would get a SA 2000 Helmet so you wont have to worry about getting another for a while.

The Bell M2 is pretty nice its one of the self molding ones and Its pretty reasonable as far as helmets go. I think thats the same one SA 95 right?

Last edited by zerohour; 07-03-2003 at 06:14 PM.