Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

AutoX's: I need your help!

Old 07-14-2003, 06:59 AM
peptidbond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AutoX's: I need your help!

Good morning,

Well, after thinking about it for some time, I have decided to participate in a local SCCA Solo II autocross event. This is something that I have wanted to do for a very long time and it is one of the reasons that I sold my sedan for a sports car. However, I am totally new to this, so I need your help. If you are very familiar with autocross events, please help.

I have already contacted the organizers and read through rules, safety requirements, FAQs, and etiquette do's and dont's (no burning tires before race?). At any rate, now what I need is some vehicle specific information and other tips about racing autocross that will help me out. Here are some general questions that I have. If you have more info, please feel free to share.

1. I have not seen an image of a course. What are they like? Open with lots of straights? Compact with many chacaines (spelling)? Do you have any example images you could post?

2. A FAQ I read said to show up with 42 PSI in the tires and then ask someone for a good number. That way, you can let out what you don't need. What is best for the Track Z with stock tires?

3. I still have not found information on number of laps or how staging works. What is the typical number of laps? When it is time to race, what is the appropriate way to enter the grid? Any other etiquette information about starting would help.

4. I know that if you hit a cone it is typically a 2-second penalty. I also know that a missed gate is DNF. Are there many gates typically? Are gates marked by one cone like a ski slalom course, or by multiple cones in a group?

5. I had to dodge an SUV the other day, so I now realize that I can make very fast swurves. Faster than I ever realized. What can I expect from the Z when it is at its edge. What noises will it make when it is getting ready to break away?

Finally, tell me everything that I need to know to do well, stay out of trouble, and keep from embarassing myself. I fully expect to place last in my BSP class, but I just don't want to embarass myself.

Thanks.

Last edited by peptidbond; 07-14-2003 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:06 AM
peptidbond

Oh, I found this and some other similar images through images.google.com. If this a typlical course. Judging by the other images I saw, this is typical.

Old 07-14-2003, 07:21 AM
FlyingToaster

That particular course is a little too simplistic, it gets more complicated than that, especially SCCA ones.

The purpose of the autoxes is "precision driving." All cars will handle the course, but one better than the other. For the reason of minimizing the advantages/disadvantages of cars used in competition, SCCA groups cars in different classes and issues a PAX factor to the classes. This is a multiplier that mostly levels all cars and makes the driver the central point of the competition.

The Z is in the BS class, which is pretty high but well positioned, primarily competiting against E36 M3s and S2000s. For example, the E46 M3, Evo 8, STi are in AS class, so they will have to run the course faster by about 1 to 1.2 seconds fast than the BS class cars.

Usually there aren't many straight if any at all. They put figure 8s, skid pads, slaloms, increasing/decreasin radius turns, etc. You also do not do laps, but run the course 3 or 4 times and the best time of yours is recorded as your time and then multiplied by the PAX factor to come up with the final standings.

Number of gates changes from auto-x to auto-x, no set number. You will have to learn what each cone setup means. One good site for that is www. pca.org.

To prepare your car, I would recommend, you change your oil if you have not done so in the last 3K mi., check coolant levels and make sure the interior of the car does not have any loose items, like CDs, maps, coffee mugs, floor mats, etc.

I cannot recommend a tire pressure for you, I do not have a Z. But, my rule of thumb is to put about 10 psi more than factory recommended on to fronts and +4 psi on the rears. then I adjust depending on the course. Look at the tires after the first run to see if there is roll-over to the sides; if there is then you will have to increase pressures. If they do not roll-over and the marks are mostly in the middle section, then let out some pressure (small increments). You learn how to feel the car this way over several autoxes

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:27 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I guess that looks fairly OK, but the first one I went to was actually pretty confusing. I've only done a couple of autoxs myself, but I did go to an Evolution school before going to an actual event. I was probably in a bit over my head, but in those classes, you get probably more runs than you do in a whole season, so you start to get the hang of it in a non-competitive setting.

This is also a good read before your first time out.

Also, post in your regional forum and racing forum here. You might find some board members that are going to an event you want to go to, and you can meet up and get some help from somebody experienced. IME, lots of people are helpful at these things, even if you go by yourself.

Have fun.

Last edited by MannishBoy; 07-14-2003 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:32 AM
peptidbond

FlyingToaster, thanks for the link. As for clearing the car, not only will I clear clutter, but also excess weight. For example, the spare tire will be removed. This is legal, correct?

I did think of a couple more questions regarding driving skills:

1. I have been practicing heel/toe shifting. I am not perfect, but I am getting better. This is appropriate and worthwhile in autox, correct?

2. What is the proper way to enter a tight, even turn. I normally would take a right turn from the left, run the car along the inner markers are the apex, and exit wide. I would also brake hard before the turn and accellerate starting the the apex towards the exit. Is this a correct style. Should I cut into the turn with one quick turn and maintain a set turn throughout, or should I ease in and make adjuistments through the turn as needed? I seem to prefer the prior example based on past performance driving instructions.

3. Slalom. What is the best technique for handling slalom cones? For example, a string of five cones.

MannishBoy, that novice link is great, thanks!

For those of you in the N.E. Ohio region or western PA, the event that I will be attending is going to be held by the Akron Sports Car Club at the Goodyear Tire Technical Proving grounds. It will be Sunday July 20th starting at 8am. For more info, check out http://www.autox.net/ (ASCC homepage). I would love to see some of you out there.

If there is a racing forum that I missed, sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

Thanks again.

Last edited by peptidbond; 07-14-2003 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:41 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Your questions will probably be better answered when all the racers see them in the racing section.

Thread moved.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:44 AM
peptidbond

Thanks 350zSpeedRacer! Sorry, I did not realize that there was a racing forum. I normally try to almost post in the right place. Any racers want to help a novice?
Old 07-14-2003, 07:49 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Many autoX courses are basically second gear only for the Z, especially if you are a rookie We have such a wide torque band, you don't have to worry about shifting much.

The first one I went to, though, had a very long slalom/straight, so it was actually a third gear section if you had any speed. From what I understand, you don't see that much.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:50 AM
2003z

I'm definitely no expert, but my experience is that my times are faster when I leave the spare in the car.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:04 AM
FlyingToaster

Some answers:

Yes, you can remove your spare tire.

1- heel/toe pretty much useless, unless you will attend PCA autoxes (they build courses that run 3rd and 4th gear at 120 mph on straights, usually airport runways ) 99% of autoxes are 1st and 2nd gear only.

2- That style is "normally" correct for an even medium/large turn raidus. But it really depends on what comes after that turn, and not the turn itself. I am sorry but it is really very long to explain all possibilities here. Go to amazon.com and search autocross. You will find one very useful book to get started (I forgot the name at this time). Generally, late-apexing is more common especially, if there is a short straight after the turn; but all depends on the course and driver preference.

3- Slaloms are the same way, it really depends on what comes after the slalom. "Normally," you take the first cone on throttle, lift-off, turn steering to re-point the car for next cone, once noise of car is getting ready to point in the right direction, 2/3 throttle again, to push the backend a little to aid turn-in and gain speed; lift-off throttle, reposition car for next cone and repeat procedure. This is basically for FR cars that have more understeer characteristics that oversteer. Of course, "normal' conditions usually don't exist as course designers know all the tricks Not that they are trying to catch off guard, but they will vary the distance between the cones within a single slalom; hence the way to take the slalom will change significantly.

TIP: Just concentrate on having fun the first few times. The biggest mistake of newbies in autoxes is missign gates, its very common. Learn the course, do the walk-through yourself without being distracted, then run the course and each turn your eyes closed; if you can, you are ready to run the course. Do not worry about beating anyone's time, just have a feel for it. You come across very experienced autoxers that will beat your time and PAX time in 1988 model station wagons, believe me Just focus on the fun and observe how others are taking turns. The guy that looks slowest from the sidelines will post the best time
Old 07-14-2003, 08:30 AM
Monkey Man

Some tips I've learned my first season:

Most important thing is to know the course. I got lost at the first couple of events I went to. Look for key cones when you do a walk through, and figure out what you want to do before hand. You should always be looking at the cones that are at least 30 yards ahead of you. This feels weird at first, but its the same thing you do on the road. You never stare at what's right in front of you, you always look way ahead.

Our cars have awesome "turn-in"... I give it gas all the way through the slaloms, never brake, and never lift off the throttle. (I'd recommend some practice before you do this, but it can be done, and saves u alot of time) Just be sure that your movement is a fluid one, DO NOT jerk the wheel from cone to cone. Rather, find a nice motion of going back and forth with the wheel.

Accelerate as hard as possible in the few straightaways you do see... then brake as late as possible (right before u start your turn).

NEVER mash the gas... always add pressure incremently to the pedal. Sudden mash, or lift will unsettle the car... same thing with the brakes... gentle brake.. then harder... then really hard.

Slower is faster when it comes to sweepers. I always aim for the inside cone on the back of the sweeper, and this makes for my best times. It seems like you are going much slower, but you get a shorter line, and better contact patch, which allows you to build speed sooner when u exit the sweeper.

You should never be coasting unless u are in a really tight sweeper. You should always be giving it gas, or braking. I blip the throttle if revs drop in tight turns, and then my revs are higher as I exit, and can add gas.

Auto-x is really just controlled aggression, and the very best drivers are always on the verge of losing control... yet they somehow don't.

Also, be sure to turn off TCS!!

-Jeremy
Old 07-14-2003, 08:31 AM
Jewelz350

This is my second year doing autoX. Couple things I found helpful on larger courses was to actually draw a basic map of key cones. I have a terrible memory. I try to walk the course a lot and repeat the series of manuvers I want to make (ex: sharp left, right, slalom, left sweeper). Also, in our region (Ft. Wayne) they offer a novice walk-thru where an experienced driver will walk with a group and help you figure out how to enter/exit/brake etc. Most people are very friendly and helpful and will walk the course with you if you just ask!

I leave my spare in. I have the track model as well and on asphalt I start at about 42 all around. On concrete 48 front and 43 rear worked the best for me. I adjust as I go depending on how much push I experience or how loose I want the back to be.

I think the hardest concept for a new person is this: To go faster, you need to go slower! Flying Toaster is so right! You will see 4-bangers running faster times then V8s!

One other suggestion. Sometimes they offer fun runs after the race for like $1. After you become comfortable racing and make some good acquaintances, you might want to let someone with more experience drive your car while you ride shotgun for one run. I have learned a lot about the car this year by having a co-driver.

Good luck to you!
Old 07-14-2003, 08:32 AM
Monkey Man

Go to amazon.com and search autocross. You will find one very useful book to get started (I forgot the name at this time).
Secrets to SOLO 2 by Henry A. Watts
Old 07-14-2003, 08:43 AM
FlyingToaster

Originally posted by Monkey Man
Secrets to SOLO 2 by Henry A. Watts
Ahhhh, yes, that is it. Read it almost 3 years ago, still around, eh?

Full throttle on slaloms? Ouch, I hope you don't send him to the curbs
Old 07-14-2003, 08:53 AM
Monkey Man

Originally posted by FlyingToaster
Ahhhh, yes, that is it. Read it almost 3 years ago, still around, eh?

Full throttle on slaloms? Ouch, I hope you don't send him to the curbs
Yea, he definitely needs some practice first. I went to the Evolution driving school before I started auto-x'ing and a two time national champion showed me how to properly do a slalom in my car. After several tries, I finally had the technique down for the full throttle slalom. Where I auto-x we don't have any curbs to hit, which is nice for beginners. I would just recommend starting out slowly, and then progressively trying to be more and more aggressive with the car once you see where it's limits are. I usually start out slow at events where I don't trust the surface, and then I try to shave off at least a second on each run. It's all about learning your car, and then once you feel comfortable with it, you can make it do anything you want.

-Jeremy
Old 07-14-2003, 09:11 AM
peptidbond

THANK YOU! This is exactly the information that I needed. While I was out to lunch, I read some more novice material that echoes everything that you guys have said. So far, my most important things to remember are "slow" and "look ahead". Here is my plan for Sunday, correct me if I am wrong:

1. Get and make numbes/class (I just bought magnet sheets at Home Depot).
2.Tire up to 42 and chalked so I know if that is a good pressure.
3. Clean out car (keep the spare).
4. Pre-register, show up early, help out where I can.
5. Walk the course and take notes on a pad. Bend down and see it from seated view. Look for "indicator" cones. Walk the course again. Walk the course a third time.
6. Sit in car and think through the course. Look at notes. Close eyes and visualize.
7. Watch others.
8. RACE (look ahead, watch for "indicator" cones, go slow)
9. Ask for critiques
10. During fun run, invite someone experienced to drive my car through the course (offer to pay the fee).

There are many other things that I need to do, but these are the items I need to concentrate on. Thank you again for all your help. On Monday I will let you know how I did.

As for the course location, if you are in the area, you should check it out. From what I understand, it is Goodyear's tire proving grounds.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:20 AM
Monkey Man

Sounds like you have a good plan. It is always helpful to know people who have been auto-xing for sometime. All my friends have been doing it for years, so they helped me out as far as all the rules of conduct and what not go.

Here is a very helpful writeup:

http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm
Old 07-14-2003, 09:23 AM
peptidbond

Monkey Man,

Thanks for the link. That is the overview that I printed and read during lunch. It really helped a lot. Thanks anyhow and keep the tips coming. I am going to need them to finish last. Otherwise, I won't finish at all
Old 07-14-2003, 09:37 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by Monkey Man
Yea, he definitely needs some practice first. I went to the Evolution driving school before I started auto-x'ing and a two time national champion showed me how to properly do a slalom in my car. After several tries, I finally had the technique down for the full throttle slalom.
Heh, I picked up the same thing at Evolution, and I was a total newbie. I'd never thought of backing out of the gas much.

EDIT: Of course, it depends on where the slalom is in the course, too. The Z should still slalom fine, though, up into the 60s, and not many courses would put you above that. The fast course I went to the first time that had us hitting third gear, I shifted mid turn on the first cone, and third as I was coming out of the entering the last cone turn.

Another thing on the slaloms they taught us was to start turning early on the first cone, and try to do it all the way through. Also, as stated above, you have to be looking at least 2 or 3 cones ahead of where you are. The cones where you are are already too late to do anything about.

Last edited by MannishBoy; 07-14-2003 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:40 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Here is another thing that I do as a newbie, that might be good for you: If your class allows it (depending on who is starting first), try to work the course as early as you can (with somebody experienced). Chasing cones in hard spots lets you see how the good drivers do stuff, and almost as importantly, how the bad drivers do stuff

In my two autocrosses (and in the class), I learned as much watching others as I did in the car.

Last edited by MannishBoy; 07-14-2003 at 09:45 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AutoX's: I need your help!