Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Watkins Glen with Car Guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 07:13 PM
commasense

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watkins Glen with Car Guys

Hedonist and I spent two days at Watkins Glen with Car Guys last week. Perhaps because the sessions were on Monday and Tuesday, they were not very full: only 36 or so cars in three groups. So we got lots of track time--at least two hours each day--and the 3.4-mile circuit was relatively empty.

The weather was pretty good: mid 80s and although there was a little rain on Monday morning, it cleared up and dried out quickly. Tuesday there was no rain.

Hedonist and I were the only Zs in a crowd of Porsches (lots of 944s and a few 911s), Mustangs, M3s, and Corvettes. The sessions were well-organized and the instructors were good. And over both days there were no off-course incidents or damaged cars. This was good, because when you go off course at the Glen chances are good you're going to hit some of that light blue guard rail that surrounds most of the track. (To add insult to injury, when you hit the guard rail or the foam protective barriers, the track charges you for damage to its equipment!)

There are lots of fast blind turns and tricky corners at the Glen. It took me most of the two days to really feel I had the place down pretty well. In the very last session, after many people had already headed home, I was able to slowly reel in and pass an instructor's M3. And as I came into the pits for the last time, the course workers showed me a sign that said "Good day." I don't think they were showing it to all the cars, so I took it as a compliment from them on my driving.

On Thursday I head down for a couple days on VIR's full course with the Viper Club. I'm taking my snake bite kit.

Here are a few shots from the Glen. Hedonist took the ones of me, and I took the ones of him. (Duh!)

Me in the Esses:
Attached Thumbnails Watkins Glen with Car Guys-img_6771m.jpg  
Old 07-14-2003, 07:18 PM
commasense

The "Inner Loop" chicane.
Attached Thumbnails Watkins Glen with Car Guys-img_6758m.jpg  
Old 07-14-2003, 07:22 PM
commasense

Attached Thumbnails Watkins Glen with Car Guys-img_6760m.jpg  
Old 07-14-2003, 07:24 PM
commasense

Turn 9. Very tricky late apex!
Attached Thumbnails Watkins Glen with Car Guys-img_6766m.jpg  
Old 07-14-2003, 07:28 PM
commasense

We rented a garage space. Very convenient.
Attached Thumbnails Watkins Glen with Car Guys-img_6795m.jpg  
Old 07-14-2003, 07:32 PM
commasense

Hedonist reeling in a Stook.
Attached Thumbnails Watkins Glen with Car Guys-img_6831m.jpg  
Old 07-14-2003, 07:34 PM
commasense

Finally, a little sun.
Attached Thumbnails Watkins Glen with Car Guys-img_6847m.jpg  
Old 07-14-2003, 07:36 PM
commasense

Attached Thumbnails Watkins Glen with Car Guys-img_6883m.jpg  

Last edited by commasense; 07-14-2003 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:43 PM
commasense

Attached Thumbnails Watkins Glen with Car Guys-img_6938m.jpg  
Old 07-14-2003, 10:52 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm Soooooo jealous! 4 hours on the Glen!

Nice pics.

Maybe next year for me.

Is the radiator shop still at the top of the hill, before the entrance?
Old 07-17-2003, 03:40 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Why doesn't anyone reply to track posts??????

Another question guys. What tires are you using? It appears that both of you drove to and tracked on the same rubber. I've destroyed my R040's(well the left front) after 4 events, so I gotta do something soon.

The Pirelli P Zero Corsa looks good, as does the Falken Azenis Sport, or BFG g-Force T/A KDW or KD, or ????

Too bad it rains too much hear to use Victoracers or Toyo RA -1 "R"s
Old 07-17-2003, 06:52 AM
bluefish

Default Very Nice

Nice day. We are hoping to organize a track event next spring with the Z club's in the North East.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:20 AM
jimmyzee

Thumbs up

Certainly do miss getting track time at the Glen, now that I have moved to the Midwest(NEB). Nice to see a post discussing a mature and responsible approach to really using the Z towards it's potential. This, as opposed to the juvenile posturing by some who think smoking a 5Liter Mustang at a green light is the ultimate in high performance driving.
Nice job of sharing the magic of Watkins Glen. Only thing better would be if it was early October, 65 and sunny.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:05 AM
John

Thanks for bringing the camera James... Sorry I haven't been in contact with you sooner, but I've been busy.

Anyways, the track was definitely a fun one, and I must say that the pale blue armco is extremely intimidating. I found myself taking it easy through T6 and T9, but by the end of the two days, only T6 had me holding back.

Originally posted by EnthuZ
Why doesn't anyone reply to track posts??????

Another question guys. What tires are you using? It appears that both of you drove to and tracked on the same rubber. I've destroyed my R040's(well the left front) after 4 events, so I gotta do something soon.
We share the same sentiments regarding threads about REAL tracks and REAL driving.

As for the tires, I chewed my front left tire to hell at Summit Point two weeks prior the Glen, so I ended up swapping the front two tires giving me some built-in camber in the rubber. Both of us continue to us the stock RE040s, but mine are on their last legs.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:00 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Gotta keep this thread alive!

I had hoped that you guys found "THE" tire to use.......

Too bad midwest Z owners don't enjoy tracking their Z's.

I'll buy anyone a DOUBLE brat if you come to Road America 9/27 & 28! You'll be on your own for cheese curds though! 9

My abused/used LF tire:
Attached Thumbnails Watkins Glen with Car Guys-my-tires-7-9-03-2.jpg  
Old 07-18-2003, 09:23 PM
John

Wow, I see what you mean. I haven't had any chunking like that at all. Only my tire doesn't wear evenly and it's out of round, and the outside of the front left tire will get worn heavily during a track weekend.

I'd love to drive Road America, if it weren't only so far.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:29 PM
Kayaalp

Default Track rubber

I've destroyed my R040's(well the left front) after 4 events, so I gotta do something soon...The Pirelli P Zero Corsa looks good, as does the Falken Azenis Sport, or BFG g-Force T/A KDW or KD, or ????
Yeah, street tires don't hold up very well under this kind of use (especially in a heavy, understeery car like the Z). What kind of camber are you running? Also, what tire pressures? Correct camber and pressures will go a huge way towards minimizing chunking.

I think a dedicated set of track tires will save you money in the long run...not to mention be a hell of a lot more fun on the track. Among the tires you listed, I think the Azenis Sports are the best choice. They're very sticky and have very stiff sidewalls (almost as good as an R-compound in both respects). Unlike true r-compounds, they're not particularly sensitive to pressures or camber. It's a good transitional tire before you move up to real "r" rubber.

I've used Azenis on my BMW and Ive been impressed. They do well in the rain, too, which is a nice bonus. I generally keep the pressures in the 40 range (hot). About 1.5 deg neg camber seems to work well with my suspension. You'll have to play around a bit.

Emre
Old 07-19-2003, 07:36 PM
Kayaalp

Default Track rubber

I've destroyed my R040's(well the left front) after 4 events, so I gotta do something soon...The Pirelli P Zero Corsa looks good, as does the Falken Azenis Sport, or BFG g-Force T/A KDW or KD, or ????
Yeah, street tires don't hold up very well under this kind of use (especially in a heavy, understeery car like the Z). What kind of camber are you running? Also, what tire pressures? Correct camber and pressures will go a huge way towards minimizing chunking.

I think a dedicated set of track tires will save you money in the long run...not to mention be a hell of a lot more fun on the track. Among the tires you listed, I think the Azenis Sports are the best choice. They're very sticky and have very stiff sidewalls (almost as good as an R-compound in both respects). Unlike true r-compounds, they're not particularly sensitive to pressures or camber. It's a good transitional tire before you move up to real "r" rubber.

I've used Azenis on my BMW and Ive been impressed. They do well in the rain, too, which is a nice bonus. I generally keep the pressures in the 40 range (hot). About 1.5 deg neg camber seems to work well with my suspension. You'll have to play around a bit.

Emre
Old 07-19-2003, 08:13 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Emre. thanks for the response(squared )

I'm running 40 psi HOT. As to camber, I haven't checked, but looking at the tire wear, it appears to be OK. I haven't checked or changed from the "as delivered" spec.(Nore could I) All I've done to the suspension is adding Cusco sway bars. I like them, but they won't save the OEM rubber!

I drove on the Azenis Sport's at the Mazda Rev-It-Up event, and I was impressed! Plus, they are CHEAP! AND......Minimal tire SQUEAL!

Two of my 4 events it rained during at least one session, and it rained going to a third. Since I drive to & from events, with no room for a 2nd set of tires, I think the Falken's might be my best choice. I could/should buy 9" 17's with 255/40's or whatever, but I'm afraid of getting caught out in the rain.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:44 PM
Kayaalp

Emre. thanks for the response(squared )
Err, sorry 'bout that! I thought I pressed "preview" and the screen went blank. Thought I'd lost the post, so I repeated it (I had copied it to the clipboard since my computer has seizures sometimes!).

I drove on the Azenis Sport's at the Mazda Rev-It-Up event, and I was impressed! Plus, they are CHEAP! AND......Minimal tire SQUEAL!
Yeah, I think the Azenis are just about the best street tire out there for the money. They're practically r-compounds in the dry (though not really quite as good). Like you said, they hardly squeal at all.

But when you start driving them really hard at track events, I think you'll find they're still street tires! I find that they fade quicker than real r-compounds. My left front overheated very quickly at Lime Rock last month. Pretty scary when you're braking hard and suddenly it feels like you hit black ice!

BTW, how did you like Rev-It-Up? I'm doing it in August in NYC. I heard the 6's are auto's, which kinda sucks.

Since I drive to & from events, with no room for a 2nd set of tires, I think the Falken's might be my best choice. I could/should buy 9" 17's with 255/40's or whatever, but I'm afraid of getting caught out in the rain.
I agree. Whatever tires you get, you might as well get all 4 in the same size. That way you'll have a bit less understeer and you're tires will last much longer as you'll be able to rotate them constantly. I rotate once or twice per day when I do HPDE's. It makes a huge difference in longevity when they wear consistently. My buddies who run symmetrical tread r-compounds like Toyo RA-1's or Hoosiers even have the tires flipped on the rims after each day of driving. Yeah, we're a little spoiled at our local PCA and BMW CCA events...there are a couple of tire companies that send out suppport trucks and they don't charge!

I wouldn't sweat the Azenis too much in the rain. They do fine. They just tend to hydroplane when you hit a large, deep pool of water. So you have to back off a bit in very heavy downpours. Except for standing water, they do amazingly well in the rain.

Emre

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen with Car Guys