Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

ECU crap out and the Track...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 08:23 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ECU crap out and the Track...

i posted this in the Engine performance section. in case you miss it..

FYI: this is happening to STOCK ecus...

Also a few members might have expereienced some crap out of the ECU when taking the Z on the track and taking high speed turns.. if you experienced this, this might be the cause of the throttle body sensor failing and sending the ECU to goto fail safe mode and rev no higher than 3k.. this is due to the repetitive vibration on the tb sensor, and in the CD000, and CD0001 ECUs, this will auto trip the fail sensor codes in the ECU... it only needs to sense this bad vibration once and it will go to limp mode... the G forces of the vibrations are telling the ECU that the TB is failing.. the CD002 version ECU has implimented a new code that senses the vibrations ,but will only trip the ECU for a TB fail if the vibrations are severe and look for multiple occurances instead of just a 1 time deal before sending the ECU to fail safe.

if you experienced this during the track, you should have to get the ECU reset, and goto the dealer to get a new ECU to CD002...

hope this clears some issues up for those road/autox ing the Z..
Old 07-29-2003, 01:12 AM
350zroadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*jots down notes*
Old 07-29-2003, 05:11 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the first time I've ever heard of this. Who exactly is having this problem? My Z has 5 track weekends on it, and I've had zero problems in high speed turns, and neither has any other Z I've seen at the track. But who knows...

Fact is that most dealerships aren't going to fix this issue unless you can reproduce the problem.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:27 AM
350zroadster

Originally posted by Hedonist
This is the first time I've ever heard of this. Who exactly is having this problem? My Z has 5 track weekends on it, and I've had zero problems in high speed turns, and neither has any other Z I've seen at the track. But who knows...

Fact is that most dealerships aren't going to fix this issue unless you can reproduce the problem.
One person on the forum had this problem, his car had to limp back to pit stop, he thought it was a problem with the intake. I'm too lazy to search for it.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:31 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Originally posted by 350zroadster
One person on the forum had this problem, his car had to limp back to pit stop, he thought it was a problem with the intake. I'm too lazy to search for it.
That would be droideka.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:51 AM
peptidbond

BJ of 350Evo has been having this problem quite a bit. If I remember correctly, this has taken him out of a couple of major races. He posted info about it here, so if you are curious, search around. I am not sure if he realized that it was the TB sensor. I think at the time they simply swapped out the ECU and go back into the race. However, he lost many laps.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:19 PM
dwnshift

It happened to us at Mid Ohio which was our last race. The code reader we were using kept telling us it was the MAF. We changed that out and changed back to a stock ECU........nothing same thing..just 1800 rpm of no fun.
We went back to the trailer and ended up changing the T body............
BINGO....
but we dont have to worry about this situation anymore as our fly by wire is now history. Sux cuz we had the car two seonds under the track record....thats racing and thats development.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:15 PM
droideka

If this is true, that is ****ed up and explains why I shut down in the same spot both times. At my second event in June I was moving much faster than when I was out in April. The last turn (Big Bend) of Motorsports Ranch is a wide, off-camber, high-speed sweeper that you hit at WOT. I wouldn't call the vibration excessive, but if you're tracking all of the way out, it might get a little bumpy.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll learn next Sat. if the CD0002 does the trick.

Yes, this happened to me.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:18 PM
droideka

Originally posted by dwnshift
It happened to us at Mid Ohio which was our last race. The code reader we were using kept telling us it was the MAF. We changed that out and changed back to a stock ECU........nothing same thing..just 1800 rpm of no fun.
We went back to the trailer and ended up changing the T body............
BINGO....
but we dont have to worry about this situation anymore as our fly by wire is now history. Sux cuz we had the car two seonds under the track record....thats racing and thats development.
Man, I feel for you. I was complaining about throwing away $195, but I can't imagine throwing away points and final standing in the series. Sorry.

BTW, did you throw a specific MAF code? I threw a 605 both times and tech line calls for a straight ECM replacement, no questions asked.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:15 AM
dwnshift

I forget which code it was but it read back to changing the (we were using a generic hand help OBD reader) When that dind help we changed throttle bodies and the car fired right back up and we went out for the final 5 laps of the race.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:59 AM
Buub

So is there a known fix for the throttle-body (sensor?) problem?
Old 08-03-2003, 05:32 PM
dwnshift

Its being looked into by Nissan Motorsports.......