Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Attending HDPE: need some tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 09:21 AM
peptidbond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Attending HDPE: need some tips?

Good afternoon,

Well, before I attended my first AutoX, I asked some questions here and the answers were critical to my success. Now, I am trying a different type of racing. I am attending a HDPE event at Gingerman Raceway this coming Friday.

I have purchased and will install track pads and brake fluid, got a helmet, and will change my oil before the event. What else do I need to do? Anything different from AutoX? I plan to run at 40 PSI in the tires. Is this good? Also, I have obtained maps of the course and reviewed it with a friend who races the course frequently. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:10 PM
zoasis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just have fun and drink plenty of water if its hot. Wear long pants, I'm pretty sure its required, I had to run to Walmart to buy some sweat pants at the last minute. Bring a video camera if possible, maybe even get one of those on car mounts for like $40. I used one last week at the autocross event and it made for some awesome after event viewing!

Now for the track tips, make smooth turns, nothing quick, its not like autocross where your making very quick turns, even the accelerator, you'll want to ease in and out of the gas in order to adjust your on track position during some high speed cornering as much as the steering wheel.

If there's a slower car in front of you, I found that if I gave him a ton of room one corner before the straight away and then I was able to easily zoom by him rather than stay on his butt until the straightaway.

I've only been to one track event but the above was my experience.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:18 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Since I'm going to blow your doors off, , I'd suggest getting some duct tape to keep them shut!

Kidding aside, bring a tire gauge you trust. I just got a new one, and it reads 2lbs lower than my old one......explaining why I only destroyed my center tire ribs.......40lbs HOT is a good starting point. Also, I'll suggest you arrive with a full fuel tank. I went through a full tank with PCA at Blackhawk. SOME events also require 100% cotton long sleeve shirts....bring one.

Definitely hook up with an instructor......I will also. You won't believe how fast the Z is!

See you there!

Last edited by EnthuZ; 08-11-2003 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:12 AM
peptidbond

Great tips. These are in line with what I was thinking. Water, long sleeve/pant cotton, and the rest. Good to hear my assumption regarding tire pressure was correct. I will certainly hook up with an instructor in the morning. The afternoon will depend on my morning experience. I am so excited!

EnthuZ, you might have to really push it to catch me ;-). I will be gunning for you. However, I am not going to be so stupid as to risk my Z. I will leave plenty of room when passing. I will also not pass on the outside in a tight corner. If the other car looses grip, they would slide right into me.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:48 AM
John

Which track are you going to be driving at?

Since you're a novice, you won't be passing in the turns. Remember, safety first. Second, and just as important as the first, listen to your instructor. Be smooth, and don't rush yourself. Remember, a HPDE is not a race, it's an educational event.

As for tire pressures, I'd suggest starting out at 34 or 35 cold, and you should work yourself up to a nice operating temperature.

Have fun!
Old 08-12-2003, 09:56 PM
D'oh

I've only been to one event - 2 Days at Laguna Seca with Speed Ventures.

I ran in the Novice group both days, with an instructor on the first. The novice group can pass only with a "point-by" from the slower driver, which makes things simple but also can get annoying when the other drivers aren't looking in the mirrors. If you start getting stuck behind someone, then you can go slower on the straights and practice the corners which is where the real fun happens.

I started with my tires at the factory specs (35 psi cold). By the end of my first 20 minute session, the pressures were 47-48.

I bled the air to around 41-42 hot and that worked very well for the rest of the event. The tires wore quite evenly and well, and didn't break apart in chunks or anything like that.

I spun out during the second day and came to a stop about 5ft from a wall in one of those gravel beds. Not sure what happened but I started to oversteer coming out of a turn and overcorrected a couple times before finally spinning 520 or so. I still need to learn how to control the oversteer. Oh yeah, I race with VDC off, since it cuts in way to soon otherwise.

The stock brakes worked well, but I did loose a little confidence and therefore was braking a bit earlier than I would have otherwise. With your pads and fluid changes you should be in pretty good shape. Oh yeah, you have the track brakes as well, so you should be in fine shape.

Maybe bring a folding chair to sit on and maybe to put all your stuff on when you are out on the track. Worked well for me.

Don't forget masking tape so you can put a number on your car.

Maybe some tie wraps for attaching the timer if you are using one (speed ventures lets you rent a timer - not sure how your group is working that aspect).

Definitely fill up on gas. I went through about 3/4 tank each day (about 80-100 miles of track time each day).

Have fun! I can't wait until december when there is another event in my area.

-D'oh!

Last edited by D'oh; 08-12-2003 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:30 AM
Kayaalp

Default Be careful

Originally posted by peptidbond
I will certainly hook up with an instructor in the morning. The afternoon will depend on my morning experience. I am so excited!

EnthuZ, you might have to really push it to catch me ;-). I will be gunning for you. However, I am not going to be so stupid as to risk my Z. I will leave plenty of room when passing. I will also not pass on the outside in a tight corner. If the other car looses grip, they would slide right into me.
It's really a good idea to have an instructor with you the whole day (not just the morning). Your speed will get higher throughout the day and little mistakes or harsh inputs that aren't a problem at lower speeds will suddenly become a big problem. It's easy to get over-confident and end up way over your head. Just re-read D'Oh's story of losing the rear of his car and almost hitting the wall. You should not be driving solo at your first event! Also, that "you'll have to push to catch me" attitude can get you into lots of trouble. We all have a competitive streak, but if you start to get caught up in the red mist you'll run into trouble big time. You have to go slow before you can go fast: take it easy and you'll have a great day!

Like John says, you'll be in a novice group, so there will be no passing in the turns. There should be a few designated (long) straights where you can pass only after receiving a point-by. The flip-side to that is to watch for blue flags and constantly check your mirrors for slower cars. If someone is in your mirror at the end of a curve, let them pass! There's nothing more annoying than a novice with a powerful car that checks everyone up through the turns then guns it down the straights! You won't get invited back if you do that sort of thing, so be curteous.

Get plenty of sleep the night before the event. Do all of your car prep and load up your gear a day or two before you leave...otherwise you'll be up half the night wasting time when you could be in bed. It's a good idea to bleed your brakes and pick up a spare set of pads just in case you need them. It's also a good idea to bring a torque wrench with you if you have one. Lug nuts can work loose with heavy track use.

Remember: in a spin...both feet in I saw a guy trash an S2000 when he slid backwards and failed to disengage the clutch. He rolled the engine backwards. The Engine and tranny were shot (diff too, probably). If the club your running with allows timing equipment that's a potential source of trouble. Your insurance will not cover damage to your car if the event is timed (it's considered a race). If there is no timing involved and instruction, it's considered a school and most companies will pay up.

Be safe and have fun.

Emre
Old 08-14-2003, 09:20 AM
peptidbond

Thanks for the advice. As for the "red-mist" and getting too competitive, I am not planning on trying to beat anyone. In fact, the first go around I want to stage last and only leave the line once the other cars are 1/3 around the track. This puts good distance between me and them and I get to go at my own pace.

As for flagging people by, that is good to know. I was not aware that this had to be done. I will certainly be courteious.

I will certainly consider keeping the instructor with me all day. Especially if I am steadily increasing my speed. As for timing, there has been no mention of it, so I presume there will be none. I would be interested in my time, but only on the last lap.

"In a spin, both feet in"? I take it that means clutch and brake to the floor and that is all.

As for rest and packing, I should be okay. I packed up last night and I am driving the 4.5 hours tonight after work. This puts me in South Haven no later than 10 and I have to wake at 6:30. I should be fine. This is plenty of sleep for me. The one thing I am worried about is that I think I am getting ill. I will certainly know by tonight.

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly heed it.

Last edited by peptidbond; 08-14-2003 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:19 PM
Kayaalp

Default Have fun!

Originally posted by peptidbond
"In a spin, both feet in"? I take it that means clutch and brake to the floor and that is all.
That's right. If the car starts to get loose in the rear and you can correct it with judicious throttle and steering inputs, then you're ok. But sometimes you just can't catch up and you know the rear is going to come around on you. At that point, your safest bet is to straighten the wheel, push in the clutch, and mash the brakes.

That way at least your wheels will lock up, you'll lose some speed, and you'll go off in a straight line. This is much safer than running all over the track in traffic. Other cars will know where you're going (straight ahead!) and can avoid you. If you do run off the track, you'll have a lesser chance of flipping over and if you hit something, at least you'll only damage one part of the car since you're likely to hit it straight on.

As for the clutch, you want the engine and tranny disengaged so you don't roll back against your drivetrain and fry everything. Remember that S2000 Enjoy your day.

Emre