Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Prosolo -- getting my asss handed to me!

Old 08-16-2003, 01:45 PM
zoasis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prosolo -- getting my **** handed to me!

What can I say, I'm getting my *** handed to me in the Topeka Prosolo event in SM2 class. The leader is about 2.4 seconds ahead per side, 2nd is about 1.2 seconds ahead per side and 3, 4, 5 and 6 places are all within .8 seconds. I'm currently in 5th out of 9. I think I'll sell the Stoptechs and go back to BSP, I think I'd be 2nd or 3rd out of 6 there, either that or I'll just get the Procharger and call it done!.

The afternoon runs for the event got cancelled until tomorrow due to bad track conditions, they are making a few repairs tonight so I'll get my other 4 runs in the morning to improve on my first 4 run times. I think I'll be able to cut off 1 full second per side since I didn't have any completely clean runs, maybe squeek out 3rd or 4th if I run really well.

I guess the question now is, can the Z compete nationally with a top notch driver, unlike myself??

How's Carter Thompson doing? I was hoping to see him run this weekend but he hasn't shown.

The only other 350Z at the event has 2 drivers, I think they are heading up the back of the pack of about 8-9 drivers if I remember correctly. I think they are both about 2.2 seconds per side behind Jason Saini after the first day.

What can I say though, 90% of the drivers at the event are nationally competitive Kick **** drivers so I'm just happy to be soaking in the experience to run with them and hopefully pickup a few tips!!!!

Last edited by zoasis; 08-16-2003 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:17 PM
JZC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, good luck on your runs.

It's always fun to hang out with the best, pick up alot of helpful stuff.

Old 08-17-2003, 05:40 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Default Re: Prosolo -- getting my **** handed to me!

Originally posted by zoasis
How's Carter Thompson doing? I was hoping to see him run this weekend but he hasn't shown.
He and his dad ran in Nashville this weekend.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:26 AM
rktjhn

Saini must be having a bad day if he is only 2 seconds ahead, he was 3 seconds ahead of the mere mortals in Utah, he McKee and another guy all ran real fast on the Miata course we had to deal with.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:51 AM
zoasis

I ended up 9th out of 11. If I hadn't hit a cone AFTER the finish on one of my runs, I would have finished 8th. They combined SM an SM2. Bob Tunell was leading the entire event until Mathew Braun passed him on the final run. I think they both ran in the 61.5 range, I ended up being around 64.7 or so, should have been 64.3 without that worthless cone that got in my way at the end. If I remember right, which I might not, I think Saini ran a 63.4 or so.

Overall, I'm happy with the way the Z performed, I just need a bit more seat time, I don't think I could have gotten any more out of my times with the current setup. I was trying to mimic some of the better drivers, overall the experience was priceless being a rookie and all.

I'm thinking 18's are a superior selection for the Z since tire options are way better. 275/35/18's or 285/30/18's would be nice on a set of TE37's with the correct offsets, or maybe some SSR-Comps, instead of these Victoracers in 275/40/17's on the Enkei RPO-2j's. I think the sidewalls on the 275/40's are a bit tall and the victoracers don't provide nearly as much grip as the Hoosiers. I think I'll give it a whirl, I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Last edited by zoasis; 08-18-2003 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:24 AM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was happy to be 1 second off of the fastest BS time on the left course for the weekend. I only got 3 good times for the right side, I would have been a little closer had I not fallen out of stage on the right side Sunday morning.

For nationals I am shooting to be in the top half of BS and the 2nd fastest 350, next year I'll have a set of shocks, and a different set of wheels (that don't weigh a ton). I don't claim to be a mere mortal, but I do drive like one occasionally. I know I can do well, I have before, it's just a matter of putting it all together at the right time.

Here's photos from the Topeka Pro
http://www.solo2.org/DesktopDefault....peka%20ProSolo
Old 08-19-2003, 09:37 AM
zoasis

Yes,
Christoc did very well Sunday. If he had the Koni's and some wheels/tires, who knows what might have happened!
Old 08-20-2003, 05:52 AM
rktjhn

I entered the Nat'ls too, maybe we can swap some info on what works and what dosen't on these cars.
So far I have gone to a neutral alignment, and got faster. Last weekend tried the Stillen sway bar, at 30%+,and some toe out up front and got faster.
This weekend will have some Hoosiers A models up front 245/35-18 with 265 Kumho on the back and see what happens. Tire pressure has been an experiment, 40 in the front and 34 rear seems to work for me, on concrete I have to go way higher.
Also tried the Borla true dual and a KN replacement and it works well
Old 08-20-2003, 02:00 PM
archman350z

Originally posted by zoasis
Overall, I'm happy with the way the Z performed, I just need a bit more seat time,
I think you just answered your own question above about taking a Z to the nationalsl. It appears that you have quite a few mods to your Z already, so I would highly discourage further mods until you work on that seat-time. It's pretty common for guys to think it's the car that needs to go faster when really it is the driver who needs to go faster. I've spent a bit of time on the race-track now with FWDs...pretty well got those covered. I hopped in the Z on the same track and my lap times were all over the place. Needless to say, she is staying bone stock until I can get those lap times within 0.2 seconds again...
Old 08-20-2003, 02:29 PM
christoc

rktjhn, I have yet to do anything with the alignment, more lazyness than anything else. All I have to do is drive over to the shop and get it up on the lift. Currently it's in the body shop getting the swirls they put in it last week buffed out. Hopefully next week I can get another dealer to look at the tire feathering issue, and then I will be working on the alignment, probably labor day weekend. I'll be at Nationals all week, should be easy to find as the car should be parked in Vendors Row most of the time when I am around, at the Solo Performance Specialties booth.

I figure I will see if I can't squeeze any camber out of the front, and maybe take a little camber out of the rear, as it's maxed out (from the factory I might add). I'll also do probably 1/4 toe out.

If you are running hoosiers, I would recommend going with a higher pressure, I ran 48-42 on my camaro with hoosiers, and 32-38 or so on Kumhos. On the 350 I've ran 37-33 last weekend at the Pro, on 245 V700s. I'll probably be on V700s again at Nationals, hopefully a new set if I can talk another guy into codriving my car instead of running his
Old 08-21-2003, 07:10 AM
rktjhn

I tok the Z to the dealer a few months ago and they realigned the front, was some toe in, and that gives it a little bit more neg camber.
Since I have gone to neutral, then to a little toe out for the AutoX. went in yesterday and the alignment was all wacked out, but then I have run the crap out of the car lately.
The 245/35 18 Hoosier A model fits right on the track front rims, Tirerack dude claimed no way it would fit.
See ya there!
Old 08-21-2003, 10:24 PM
zoasis

Originally posted by archman350z
I think you just answered your own question above about taking a Z to the nationalsl. It appears that you have quite a few mods to your Z already, so I would highly discourage further mods until you work on that seat-time. It's pretty common for guys to think it's the car that needs to go faster when really it is the driver who needs to go faster.
How many events and when will I know when I'm ready for needed mods??

I ran about the same time as Saini on one of the tracks at the prosolo minus the cone on the exit. Also, I ran the same time as the guy that placed 5th at nationals in my class and I'm running a BSP car. Yeah, I realize I can use more seat time but I feel I already know when a mod is or isn't needed. I don't really feel I'm the average Joe who just started racing yesterday, I've ran probably 15 or so events and one HPCCC, but at the same time, I realize I'm still learning with every event. I feel the my Z will benefit with the Hoosiers, what a better time to find out than now with just a few events remaining before Nationals!!! See you guys there!!!!

I don't know, maybe I'm way off and wrong about additional mods, what do you think Christoc, you've seen me drive the Z and my times improve drastically throughout the year.

Last edited by zoasis; 08-21-2003 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:50 PM
archman350z

OK, I didn't realize that you had that many events. I'm used to rookies that mod their car before they even take it home...

Anyway, it isn't about how many events you've done, but rather how consistent you are. If you're fast one lap and slow the next, then there is still some work to be done. My point is that the essence of being a driver is to be able to handle varying conditions well. It's common to think the car should be changed to suit the driver...but I think you're a superior driver if you can do it the other way around!

Plus once you get comfortable and consistent, you can tell exactly what the car needs to make it faster (as opposed to just throwing all kinds of money at it). The Z is a very well tuned car and I am very sure that it won't take much to make it deadly on a race track. (I agree about the Hoosiers...this chassis is far more capable than any street tire will allow it to be). I recommend that you bone-up on race car vehicle dynamics, that way you can tell what camber/caster/toe/sway-bar changes will improve your times. And always change only one thing at a time! Carroll Smith has an excellent series of books ("Driving to Win") on the subject.

If you haven't already, check out the Goodyear website below. This guy, Derek Bell, is simply amazing. He flogs the daylights out of 3 very different cars. The smoothness that this guy has is really something else. It is truly something beautiful to see: An excellent driver behind the wheel of some very capable cars.
www.eaglef1.com
You don't get to drive like this without practice (and lots of it). Good Luck!
Old 08-25-2003, 07:33 AM
christoc

zoasis, I am still a big fan of running in stock, but I know you have the bug to mod your car, and the means to do so, I probably would too if I had the cash handy.

I'd still say seat time is going to be your biggest gain. I'd run in BSP, take the brakes off, and run as many events as you can (as you have been doing this year).

Take an Evolution school, or two, next year, and try to keep the car the same. There's just so much you can change, and making all sorts of changes isn't going to help you in the long run, you'll never really learn what change had what effect
Old 08-25-2003, 07:37 AM
christoc

Also, I realize you have done a lot of events this year, but you still are pretty darn new. You are doing well, but two -three years from now, you will be able to look back and say, wow, seat time, it's the ultimate answer. I was in the same boat, after 4 years, of getting my *** handed to me, and in the past year or two finally being able to get respectable against the national champs I know. It's frustrating going to the new car though, in the camaro I found I could keep much closer to the class leaders. The 350 is just going to take some more seat time for me to get used to to be competitive
Old 08-25-2003, 01:58 PM
zoasis

Chris

thanks for the input, I think I'll take the advice from you guys and lay low in BSP for a bit and cash in on the Stoptechs. So far, my times with the other BSP's have been extremely competitive on the regional and national level with the few events I've been to so thats probably the best answer. I haven't made changes for the last couple events so things seem to be getting much more comfortable and I'm able to make some better adjustments with the suspension.
later
Craig

Last edited by zoasis; 08-25-2003 at 02:03 PM.