Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:59 PM
diwun67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I WANT those valve covers Write up?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:22 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Congrats Adam!!

Very very nice engine with an amazing powerband. Job well done!!

I would be sooo happy with this engine in my car. I truely enjoy seeing NA builds. Hopefully someday i can follow in your footsteps.

How much do you think the 3 inch MAF housing was able to gain you? And are you going to be using a cable driven Throttle body or Drive by wire? I dont know of a throttle body off hand that is larger and Drive by wire that will work with our setup.

Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Congrats again

Later
Todd
Old 07-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
Adam those red valve covers would definatley make Ferrari drivers jealous. They look soo good. Cant wait to see it in the engine bay with the Cosworth plenum(as soon as they release the thing).
I know right...I swear half the reason I want to try it is to see how it looks
Old 07-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by aceman
Very very nice engine with an amazing powerband. Job well done!!

I would be sooo happy with this engine in my car. I truely enjoy seeing NA builds. Hopefully someday i can follow in your footsteps.

How much do you think the 3 inch MAF housing was able to gain you? And are you going to be using a cable driven Throttle body or Drive by wire? I dont know of a throttle body off hand that is larger and Drive by wire that will work with our setup.

Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Congrats again

Later
Todd
Hi Todd, thanks for the kind words

The MAF housing was a suggestion from one of the guys in Japan...he said it would prove beneficial, and he was right We got to the low 290's on the stock housing and then said, what the hell, let's toss it in and see what happens.....nice gains in mid range torque, though I can't tell you if we could have achieved those goals with the stock housing or not.

As for the throttle body, I will strictly stay drive by wire....I don't believe in going backwards

Also, in talking with the engine guru today, he touched on something that he things will prove very beneficial as far as my tune is concerned...I am looking forward to trying it in the next two weeks, once HIN is done

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 07-09-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Hi Todd, thanks for the kind words

The MAF housing was a suggestion from one of the guys in Japan...he said it would prove beneficial, and he was right We got to the low 290's on the stock housing and then said, what the hell, let's toss it in and see what happens.....nice gains in mid range torque, though I can't tell you if we could have achieved those goals with the stock housing or not.

As for the throttle body, I will strictly stay drive by wire....I don't believe in going backwards

Also, in talking with the engine guru today, he touched on something that he things will prove very beneficial as far as my tune is concerned...I am looking forward to trying it in the next two weeks, once HIN is done

Soooo, where are you getting this Throttle Body? I am very interested

Also curious about the tune. Im running the Utec with a larger MAF housing right now aswell.

Congrats again

Todd
Old 07-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

throttle body wise, there are a couple I am going to try....we'll see how it all works out
Old 07-09-2007, 06:46 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Thumbs up

throttle body wise, there are a couple I am going to try....we'll see how it all works out
I guess i will wait patiently

Later
Todd
Old 07-09-2007, 09:57 PM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So this was over 300whp with the stock tb, full exhaust, pump gas, and an extremely well thought out build. Where are you going to be showing this car and when are you taking it to limerock. Would love to see a picture of the 75mm maf and engine in the car. Even though you balanced everything I am surprised to see a lightweight crank pulley(but you can't argue with whats working for you). The 93 octane and the fact that none of the hard parts are exotic or out of most people doing a builds budget it also refreshing. Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:03 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

very nice
Old 07-09-2007, 10:47 PM
aalzuhair

Man that looks great ... dude well done ... I love your car

Az
Old 07-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Mazinger Z

Hooray for NA~! Got some pics of your full car?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bugsbbunny
Hooray for NA~! Got some pics of your full car?
once the body work is done, we'll do a full photoshoot...there are pics of it before that I've posted, but really looks totally different now with new wheels, brakes, body kit
Old 07-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
So this was over 300whp with the stock tb, full exhaust, pump gas, and an extremely well thought out build. Where are you going to be showing this car and when are you taking it to limerock. Would love to see a picture of the 75mm maf and engine in the car. Even though you balanced everything I am surprised to see a lightweight crank pulley(but you can't argue with whats working for you). The 93 octane and the fact that none of the hard parts are exotic or out of most people doing a builds budget it also refreshing. Thank you for sharing.
not sure why you would be surprised...I used the UR pulley before, on my non built motor, and loved it. No reason not to use one now

God willing, it will be painted in time for HIN next weekend...fingers crossed

Limerock - who knows right now, don't have any immediate plans, I just want to enjoy the car for now and keep tweaking it.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 07-10-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Reyes5937

All I can say is amazing set up for your Z. Great job on this NA Z build. I was just wondering if you looked into the twin throttle mainfold that SFR come out with? If so why not go with that insted of the Cosworth one? I seen graphs that the SFR mainfold starts to shine on high RPM. I would suspect it would do the same for your set up. Thanks for sharing your NA build.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Reyes5937
All I can say is amazing set up for your Z. Great job on this NA Z build. I was just wondering if you looked into the twin throttle mainfold that SFR come out with? If so why not go with that insted of the Cosworth one? I seen graphs that the SFR mainfold starts to shine on high RPM. I would suspect it would do the same for your set up. Thanks for sharing your NA build.
I've seen it, but not what I want to do on the car...I think I can get to where I want without having to reinvent that much of the car, etc.

I am looking forward to trying the Cosworth one, and a new throttle body to see where it ends up, but much like the rest of the build, it will take alot of time with the Cosworth manifold on the bench before we know whether its an upgrade for what I already have.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:27 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

now take it to the track!!! 12.3 is easily beatable for sure... do it!!
Old 07-10-2007, 05:39 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I know the horse is dead with this question but whats your thought on ITB's. I think I remember seeing that the DBW is the problem and no way of tuning it? And will this Cosworth be "worth(no pun intended)" buying?(probley will be)

Thanks Adam. I am just trying to get a good grasp on the NA build so I can journey into the world of "NA is Best"

Chris
Old 07-10-2007, 06:10 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NA&CH
I know the horse is dead with this question but whats your thought on ITB's. I think I remember seeing that the DBW is the problem and no way of tuning it? And will this Cosworth be "worth(no pun intended)" buying?(probley will be)

Thanks Adam. I am just trying to get a good grasp on the NA build so I can journey into the world of "NA is Best"

Chris
Chris - honestly, I've got no interest in even trying to develop an ITB setup, as I fail to see it's worth other than a "look at me" factor. The DBW just complicates it, and I, personally, don't see any benefit in going back to a cable drive system, merely for the sake of a several thousand dollar ITB system that may, or may not work.

I've taken my cues from the guys who have been doing the NA route...the shops in Japan racing the Z in various forms. None of them are using an ITB (except Top Secret, but they are as much a "show" as "go" company), nor even remotely trying one, which tells me that it's simply not worth the investment. I'd prefer to see the limitations of the existing platform, vs trying a 90 degree turn for the sake of it

Will the Cossie manifold be worth it? Who knows. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we spent alot of time with a variety of plenum configurations on the bench, to gauge what was worth it, and not. As such, an off the sheld Cossie manifold very well might work for an otherwise stock setup, but we'll have to get it on the bench to really know if it will do something for my setup.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:18 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Chris - honestly, I've got no interest in even trying to develop an ITB setup, as I fail to see it's worth other than a "look at me" factor. The DBW just complicates it, and I, personally, don't see any benefit in going back to a cable drive system, merely for the sake of a several thousand dollar ITB system that may, or may not work.

I've taken my cues from the guys who have been doing the NA route...the shops in Japan racing the Z in various forms. None of them are using an ITB (except Top Secret, but they are as much a "show" as "go" company), nor even remotely trying one, which tells me that it's simply not worth the investment. I'd prefer to see the limitations of the existing platform, vs trying a 90 degree turn for the sake of it

Will the Cossie manifold be worth it? Who knows. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we spent alot of time with a variety of plenum configurations on the bench, to gauge what was worth it, and not. As such, an off the sheld Cossie manifold very well might work for an otherwise stock setup, but we'll have to get it on the bench to really know if it will do something for my setup.
Thanks a whole bunch Adam. Its true that no one is using the ITB's and yes it would prob. be a "look at me, hear me roar "

Well Adam I hope to see you guys go as far as you can and still be DD/street drivable. I am really intersted. I even saved your list of parts. For reference. Hope you don't mind. And yes those covers are tHe sexy

Can you pm me on where got them done and how much?

Thanks Adam

Chris
Old 07-10-2007, 07:28 AM
rednezz

Can you share a pic of you MAF housing?

Quick Reply: NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)