Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

NA Build: Kacz07's 2006 SS 350z RevUP

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeFiveZero Z
I am running the S7 cams, Cosworth plenum, Crawford headers, custom dual 3 inch exhaust and standard size ferrea valves...among several other things and I dont have that kind of drop off...what EMS are you running again? I am on the haltech and it has been awesome! Note that top end power was our goal since its a road course car so we werent concerned with back pressure.
I am using the Osiris Tuner program, tuned by Vince, that allows you to take advantage of cam phasing on vehicles with the equipped sensors.

Was I naive in thinking that this setup/ecu reflash would help make top end power AND power past 7k rpm?

I assumed that the cam phasing meant rev-ups since they have the additional exhaust cam sensor and higher redline, but I guess I could be mistaken. Maybe I should speak to the UpRev dudes about this.

Last edited by kacz07; 02-11-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:53 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I edited my post but I think if its in your budget, ditch the osiris. The haltech or equivalent EMS are what you want to maximize this kind of build.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:27 PM
kacz07

Originally Posted by ThreeFiveZero Z
I edited my post but I think if its in your budget, ditch the osiris. The haltech or equivalent EMS are what you want to maximize this kind of build.
You've got me thinking... Adam uses the UTEC (I believe), you have the haltech, jmccarty has the FCON, SG has the motec....

Gabe, your discoveries with the Cosworth and your motors were using the Osiris tuning software, correct? The last I read you were still tuning w/ the UpRev system.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to use the UTEC, I now have the Haltech but won't be dyno'ing the new setup till spring
Old 02-11-2010, 12:34 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct I have the Uprev software but my new engine's preliminary results came with some tuning via an Autronica SM4, but eventually will use the Uprev stuff.

_jb used to have the haltech but switched over to Uprev. His experience doing so was quite positive, but it might have been a tuner/tuning related issue with the haltech.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:16 PM
kacz07

Vince is going to setup the Dyno to try and get the MAP reading for each run.

I guess it is possible that the engine is pulling a vacuum in the high RPMs and really hampering the power up top. He's going to work on opening up the intake and work with the tune to see what else we can find out.

A powerband that continues to maintain the same hp/rpm and continues to rise towards 7k would be ridiculous.

Gabe, those SG's are nasty!

Last edited by kacz07; 04-02-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:54 PM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car pulled 1.5psi when we did that.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:16 AM
kacz07

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
My car pulled 1.5psi when we did that.
Is the only way to relieve this vacuum to open up the intake more?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:19 PM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fundamentally it means the plenum is being emptied faster than it can be filled
Old 02-16-2010, 04:16 PM
kacz07

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
fundamentally it means the plenum is being emptied faster than it can be filled
I understand. Well, then I guess I am really sucking wind (or lack thereof) after 6250rpm. I would have to imagine that the powerband can only grow at all rpms above 5k or so if we're able to engineer an intake that can get more air in.

I'm curious to see my peak vacuum at the top. I've seen stated that 1psi=10whp. That has to be why everything just shuts down after 6250rpm.

With bigger cams than your build and some wide open valves, I'd almost be better off with ITBs. In the meantime, SG can't move fast enough on the intake they've been developing...

Last edited by kacz07; 02-16-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:24 PM
kacz07

Been thinking and wondering if the long tubes are what's brought the HP peak further down the powerband combined with the expected manifold vacuum...guess I need to take a lesson from Gabe's build.

Hoping to have some new dynos soon.

Might be adding a little bowtie to this bad boy
Old 03-04-2010, 01:50 PM
SexyRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good work with the N/A build, I'm thankful for all the experience you guys have to offer before I start my build, I'm cheap so it will save me some cash

did you ever end up with the 3" intake / MAF ? If not I'm pretty sure thats not helping your vacuum issues.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:13 PM
jmccarty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kacz07
Tell me about it...

With JWT C8R cams (272 in/ex), I really expected it to shine with the Cosworth manifold, but I got nothing but severe drop off. Is it possible they're too big?

The powerband looks similar to __jb's, but vastly differnt from jmcarty. Aside from the cams, he and I have a very similar setup. __jb's lacks the oversize valves, but has the same cams as me, yet I don't have the peak or the powerband of either. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but it just doesn't add up.

Both jmcarty and I have the oversize valves, since his are included in the Cosworth heads and I'm assuming a similar valve job and flow rate given the overlapping components.

I'm kind of scratching my head. The numbers seem on par or only slighter higher than a de w/ full bolt ons. I'm really hoping Vince has more left in the tune to fully take advantage of the cam timing. Hoping he and Osiris have a little more up the sleeve.
Just a thought, remember my cams have electronic variable valve timing control. Quoting HKS "The Camshaft + Valcon Pro Kit will improve power output at high rpm that is a weak point of the VQ35DE. Not only high rpm but low and middle rpm range will be also improved by valve timing control with Valcon Pro."

I do have the same slightly over-sized valves as yours.

I know G-Reddy and JWT make valve timing controllers and probably several others. After googling it, not sure if they make one for the VQ35?

What other cam controllers are there?

Last edited by jmccarty; 03-21-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:25 PM
kgkeen101

I don't think the 1MM+ valves are hindering the performance. If anything you should look into engine management. ProEFI Pro48 ECU is the least expensive option out there at $1100, its slightly more than a UTEC and you can tune everything including your intake and exhaust VVT.

The extent of your ported heads may hinder the breathing of your heads too. Don't know if they were flowed before and after to see what kinda CFM numbers you got outa your the port work? I picked up some significant gains with mine.

As far as ITBs, if you do end up going that route, you will see significant power and the engine will make massive HP under the curve. I could help you get started with that as I just got mine completed.

I never ran the Cosworth Intake Mani but the curves I see are nowhere near what the ITBs are at when properly tuned.

Last edited by kgkeen101; 03-15-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:12 AM
kacz07

Can anyone comment on how flexible are the alternative ECU standalones, ProEFI, Fcon, Haltech, UTEC, etc with alternative throttle body setups than the OEM TB (i.e. KG is running ITBs with the ProEFI, etc)?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:36 PM
kgkeen101

Well I gave ya my 2 cents on the ProEFI software. Just contact me if you need help going that route.

I can say UTEC is pretty good piggy backing stuff too but you can't tune the VVT and you're still piggy backing on your a/f and everything. At a 700-900$ price UTEC new vs a Pro48 at 1100 new, there is just no comparison ya know? With the Pro48 or a standalone you can still retain your stock ecu to run the electronics and use the standalone to get direct tuning done instead of piggybacking. Way more reliable that way. You can retain your drive by wire too if you're not going the ITB route with the Pro48 combining it with your stock ECU. Just some more input for ya.

Last edited by kgkeen101; 03-15-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kacz07
Can anyone comment on how flexible are the alternative ECU standalones, ProEFI, Fcon, Haltech, UTEC, etc with alternative throttle body setups than the OEM TB (i.e. KG is running ITBs with the ProEFI, etc)?

The ecu isn't an issue IMHO - your choice of intake manifold determines (or limits) your throttle body choice because of the design/size of the inlet. I personally am not of the opinion that the stock throttle body is any great restriction as it's already quite large, and will easily support more power than you're currently putting down. While I did upsize mine and eliminated DBW, it was more out of convenience than necessity.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:25 AM
kacz07

Some thoughts and updates:

-The JWT C8r cam lobes are longer, but are sharper than the std rev ups , making it ideal for HIGH rpm applications. I guess this was understood and the dyno posted was a tune optimized for low end torque at the cost of high end hp.

-The MD exhaust has opened up the top end of the power band, Vince specifically cited 5500rpm and above, althought I'm not sure if the new tune modulated the drastic power drop. This is with the Cosworth manifold, but I am not sure about MAP numbers.

-We will soon be doing a MD/Cosworth comparo to see what changes occur in the powerband and peak power.

-Based on Gabe's analysis and Hydrazine's input into that thread, I will be switching back to the stock airbox.

-I have opted for a Zex nitrous system, which will be tuned once we have the final setup for the NA tune.

-If my understanding of the properties of nitrous oxide is correct, the top end power will be less restricted by the intake/exhaust setup, regardless of plenum. The torque should be massive and the system is something that I can switch over to with the 5 map Osiris capability.

Hope I can get this thing on the road soon!

Last edited by kacz07; 04-02-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:15 AM
tuko316

How big of a shot do you plan on spraying?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:15 PM
kacz07

Originally Posted by tuko316
How big of a shot do you plan on spraying?
I believe the Zex kit has two different jets, a 75 and a 100 shot. So, prob the 100 shot. With a built motor, it would probably be able to handle much more, but I am taking it easy for now.

Quick Reply: NA Build: Kacz07's 2006 SS 350z RevUP