Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

4.15L NA VQ Engine Build with Rebello and Zcargarge

Old 09-19-2009, 07:53 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 4.15L NA VQ Engine Build with Rebello and Zcargarge

Some of you guys may have been following my other thread about the Tomei install and know that the thought of larger displacement was always in my mind. Last week marks the day where the rubber finally hit the ground on this plan. I really want to thank Adam and 1cockyz for initially talking to me about this project when I was planning things out. My initial build list was quite simple as I didn't want to do something too extravagant, but it didn't take too long for it to get more elaborate. Here is the initial list that I settled on that came out a few weeks of research and chatting, some of these parts are from my current car but I'll include them for completeness. It includes all the components from the point of where air enters the filter to the exit from the Y-pipe, as those affect performance.

-Apexi 80mm filter (ported to fit the below item)
-Z1auto 3" MAF
-Samco induction hose
-Cosworth Intake Plenum
-Nismo High Compression Cylinder Head Spec2 with 3angle job
-Nismo Valvetrain
-Nismo VTC gears
-Tomei 280/272 camshaft
-Cosworth 100mm head gasket
-BC bRod 86.4mm stroker kit with 9.2CR and 100mm pistons (wanted the 88mm one but it was back ordered for 3-4 months)
-Darton MID sleeves
-ACL race bearings
-ARP main and head studs
-Nismo Oil Pump
-Tomei V2 Headers
-Ichiba Test Pipes
-Motordyne XYZ pipe
-Fluiamp Dampener
-Unorthodox Flywheel
-Walbro 195LPH Fuel Pump

As I was getting ready to leave to Asia for a 2-4 weeks business trip, Zcargarge wanted to take this opportunity and bring my car in to get the ball rolling. After reviewing the aforementioned list with Rob@Zcargarage and Dave@Rebello Racing (I'm sure many of you guys know who he is), Dave and Rob wanted to take this oppurtunity and build something they would be excited and proud about. They've built countless numbers of big powered FI cars but never one that was all out NA, therefore they asked me if I wanted to embark on a project with them. Who could say no to such a chance? So yesterday I dropped off my car with a deposit for them to get going on this project by next week. So far here are the parts that would go into my car, I'm sure things might change as he models my engine.

-Apexi 80mm filter (ported to fit the below item)
-Z1auto 3" MAF
-Samco induction hose
-Cosworth Intake Plenum
-Rebello Custom Stage4 (not 100% sure what is involved but sounds like a 5 angle job and some porting/grinding and polishing, I'll get more information when he is done). He retains stock diameters on the valves and is able to outperform the m2race ones (4cfm less @ .500" 20cfm more @ .200"-.300" and 6 to 8CFM everywhere else). He is contemplating a 1mm over stock on the intake as well, but he has to model the engine to know if it is worth while.
-Supertech Single spring valvetrain
-Rebello custom grind camshafts, this would also be created based on the modeling.
-Cosworth 100mm head gasket
-BC 88mm crankshaft. Rebello actually had one in his warehouse.
-JE 100mm Pistons
-Manley Turbo Tuff connection rods
-Darton MID sleeves
-ACL Calico coated race bearings
-ARP main studs
-Nissan HR head studs
-Nissan Revup Oil pump
-Tomei V2 Headers (he'll see if these are good enough for my car, i really hope so)
-Ichiba Test Pipes
-Motordyne XYZ pipe
-Fluiamp Dampener
-Unorthodox Flywheel
-Balancing of short block with pulley and flywheel
-Blueprinting of long block
-Walbro 195LPH Fuel Pump and/or bigger injectors
-Port match and polish on the parts from the air filter to the intake collector to match the cylinder heads, including the throttle body.
-Tuning wise, I'm going to stay with Osiris flashing and get it tuned for 91, 100 and possibly E85.

I'm sure everyone will ask what the goals are for this car, but truthfully I didn't really put any numbers to it, but if I have to put a number to it then 75whp and 100wtq more then what I dynoed at Zcargarage. With that said, here are the current numbers and upgrades that are on the car for the number goals above to make sense.

The above dyno is including the following upgrades. I originally went to another shop to get my baseline and install done so I don't have a baseline on the same dyno. The lowest numbers reflects the baseline when I brought in my car to Zcargarage. However talking to Rob a stock VQ35DE usually dynos at 210-220whp - 200-210wtq for a MT.

-Jim Wolf Tech Popcharger
-Stillen Z-Tube
-Motordyne 5/16th Spacer
-Motordyne MREV2
-Tomei Procam 264in/264ex
-Tomei Expreme Headers V2
-Ichiba Test Pipes
-Motordyne XYZ
-Osiris Tune

The highest number seen above was a quick tune that only involved fuel correction, so there is a lot of room left for tuning. There were also certain components that I wanted Zcar to retune for, but never had the chance to do so. I believe if everything had a final tune with the additional parts I would see a minimum of 10whp/10wtq (cosworth plenum, 3" Maf, and samco tube were not yet installed). However prior to tearing everything out of my car, Zcargarage will tune my car one more time to see how the cosworth performs on my car, but not with the 3" MAF. I'll shoot him an email to see if he can. This would be a good thing for people to know as it is a cheap upgrade.

I'm also taking this opportunity to do a few extras that have been bothering me, since the car will be apart.
-Swap out my radiator hose to black silicone
-Anodize my timing cover to Matte Black
-Anodize my strut brace to Matte Black
-Maybe paint my washer fluid and coolant tank black.
-He also mentioned painting the radiator mount black, but I'm not sure about that yet
-Change out my CD0001 transmission to the latest CD0009 (i have a real tough time getting into 2nd and 3rd pass 5k rpm, with occasional grinding going into third)

Here is how the engine bay looks as of now, so you guys can get an idea.

Good thing is that both Rebello and Zcar can work in parallel on my car since Rebello has many bare block that he can start doing the more generic things that don't require my longblock to be there. An exciting thing about this project is that my engine, before and after, will be strapped on to his bench dyno for numbers. My cylinder heads will also go to a similar process but to a bench flow. It's great that I will be getting so much data out of this build and from such a reputable guys as Zcar and Rebello.

That is it for now, I'll try to keep this thread up to date even though I won't be in the US, but Zcar and Rebello assured me that everything will be well documented and I will receive occasional updates on it.

Last edited by gabe3d; 09-21-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep us posted!

Whats the goal of your build? Peak power or area under the curve?
Old 09-19-2009, 08:11 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by Frostydc4
Keep us posted!

Whats the goal of your build? Peak power or area under the curve?

The goals are closer to area under the curve. I didn't want the engine to be too peaky that I would have a hard time driving it on the street. For now the goal is to be at 360whp/360wtq on the same dyno, which is roughly 75whp and 100wtq like I mentioned above. Rob and Dave feels very comfortable with those numbers while still keeping the car well mannered.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:48 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

What is the availability of E85 in your area? It might be worth it to beef up the fuel system and run it.............it is a an unbeatable fuel for the cost.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:49 PM
SexyRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome, will be following this also. Subscribed.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am cringing already.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:12 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I've heard many good things about ZCarGarage.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:16 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
What is the availability of E85 in your area? It might be worth it to beef up the fuel system and run it.............it is a an unbeatable fuel for the cost.
It is not the easiest to find but from where I live there is one 2 miles away and within a 50 mile radius, there are are a few. Still unsure about it at this point, it really depends how much of an upgrade on the fuel system i will need for 91/100. If it is extensive enough then I will accommodate for E85. The price here is roughly a dollar cheaper then regular premium 91, but you'll need to burn roughly 30% more, so on a economy stand point it won't be saving much, but for a performance it's great.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:19 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

I would just leave it up to the tuner and see what he thinks...........you should be able to run considerable more timing,etc on e85 as opposed to 91, but if you can reach your goals on 91 all the better.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:28 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by Motormouth
I am cringing already.
Haha, don't cry just yet the car is still working and in one piece! I hope everything goes smooth and that the car will run like it has been reliably for the past 6+ years, but now with ton more of NA power.

Originally Posted by TheFarmer
Nice. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I've heard many good things about ZCarGarage.
Yeah, the guys there are great. They work on tons of nissans so getting in is always tough, but you won't regret it.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:31 PM
sublimemoment

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mind giving a $ per hp gained?
Old 09-19-2009, 09:34 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I would just leave it up to the tuner and see what he thinks...........you should be able to run considerable more timing,etc on e85 as opposed to 91, but if you can reach your goals on 91 all the better.
The goals of 360/360 is on 91. I'm sure if Dave feels good about those numbers then it will be easily attainable. He has done a few higher displacement VQ35 for races and he said based on what he has seen on those, it looks very reasonable. If I don't need to do anything on the fuel other then pump then most likely I'll leave E85 for next time.

Originally Posted by sublimemoment
Do you mind giving a $ per hp gained?
This build is definitely not the most economical if you look at it that way, lets put it this way. I could have easily gone TT with a minor built block for a lot less with much more power. The build has just started, so there isn't an exact $/hp, but if you are interested then i'll let you know at the end.

Last edited by gabe3d; 09-19-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:50 AM
allmotorsedan

You stole my thread idea... Just joking. Glad everything is working out for you. That's awesome Gabe!! Keep up to good work. I certainly hope Rebello and ZCG can reach your goals...you car will be very fast.

For the tranny, is there a badge or serial # on it to identify what model/revision it is?
Old 09-20-2009, 06:07 AM
fabre80

Man Gabe, what a great thread!! I hope everything goes well with your build and remenber what i told you about your old set of cams!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:19 AM
tuko316

What a sick build! I hope your happy with the end result and you achieve all your goals.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:45 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by allmotorsedan
You stole my thread idea... Just joking. Glad everything is working out for you. That's awesome Gabe!! Keep up to good work. I certainly hope Rebello and ZCG can reach your goals...you car will be very fast.

For the tranny, is there a badge or serial # on it to identify what model/revision it is?
If you go under the car, you can see it clearly on the transmission its model number.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:14 AM
tranceformer95

IIRC, the model number is on the passenger side of the transmission. If you can't get under there just reach in there with a camera.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:51 AM
TYEster

Interested and subscribing.

I'm hoping to finish my DE with a full I/H/E, cams and hopefully a tune to hit 300whp. Nothing too major because I decided against FI because I have a motorcycle that would would outperform anything less than $10k invested in this car.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:52 AM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by allmotorsedan

Haha that just means that when you do your build it has to be bigger and better. I hope that my everything will go well and that I will be a happy with results.

Like the others have mentioned, there is a label on the side of the tranny that will indicate what version you have. I would say that if you don't feel any shifting issues on your car then there is no point getting the new one. There are people with models lower then the cd009 that are perfectly happy. If it weren't for the grinding going into 3rd I wouldn't have changed it. The notchiness pass 5k rpm doesn't bother me too much.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:05 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by TYEster
Interested and subscribing.

I'm hoping to finish my DE with a full I/H/E, cams and hopefully a tune to hit 300whp. Nothing too major because I decided against FI because I have a motorcycle that would would outperform anything less than $10k invested in this car.
Good luck (not being sarcastic )........300whp isn't easy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.15L NA VQ Engine Build with Rebello and Zcargarge