Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

VQ35DE Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 12:35 PM
thekyledeg

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

oookay, so.. I like Uprev's programs but their customer service (over the internet anyway, in my experience) has been absolute trash. The ROM file they sent me was empty, so I payed for no Tune essentially and they still havent gotten back to me over e-mail and i can't call them. Anybody want to email me a ROM file with a safe tune for all these bolt on/cams and a rev-limit bump to 7200??

Last edited by thekyledeg; 03-11-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:04 PM
The_Assassin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thekyledeg
oookay, so.. I like Uprev's programs but their customer service (over the internet anyway, in my experience) has been absolute trash. The ROM file they sent me was empty, so I payed for no Tune essentially and they still havent gotten back to me over e-mail and i can't call them. Anybody want to email me a ROM file with a safe tune and a rev-limit bump to 7200??

Uprev customer service is horrible. Dont even know how they stay in business. I tried calling and emailing them for 2 weeks straight no reply
Old 03-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can email you a file if needed. PM me if you're interested.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:28 PM
The_Assassin

So you only needed springs and retainers to run Tomei 272/11.3 in/ex...Could you post up a video of how it sounds idle
Old 03-11-2015, 05:46 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixxxercask
I cannot get the cam sprocket bolts off on just the exhaust cams.
Maybe I'm thinking of this wrong, maybed I'm not 100% sure what youre talking about, maybe you have different cams that I do, maybe you've already done this...but isnt there a hex shape section of the cam shaft that you can put a large crescent wrench on to counter the torque required to unbolt the sprocket?

it's dawning on me that you've done this...it'd be wise for me to hit the back button at this point...nah, just post!!
Old 03-11-2015, 10:34 PM
thekyledeg

I can email you a file if needed. PM me if you're interested.
thanks bro! your a lifesaver, now i wont worry about blowing her up till i get to the dyno.

Originally Posted by The_Assassin
So you only needed springs and retainers to run Tomei 272/11.3 in/ex...Could you post up a video of how it sounds idle
I mean, i hope i did my homework right I will eventually, probably this weekend. Ill be gone all next week for some medical testing, hopefully nothing too serious is going on up in the ole noggin.

Last edited by thekyledeg; 03-12-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:29 AM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
Maybe I'm thinking of this wrong, maybed I'm not 100% sure what youre talking about, maybe you have different cams that I do, maybe you've already done this...but isnt there a hex shape section of the cam shaft that you can put a large crescent wrench on to counter the torque required to unbolt the sprocket?

it's dawning on me that you've done this...it'd be wise for me to hit the back button at this point...nah, just post!!
Yes there is a hex spot on each cam where I put a huge cresent wrench on and my breaker bar on the end cam sprocket bolt. Still couldn't break it loose. So I got a 2nd person to hold the cresent wrench while I tried with breaker bar. Still nothing. Ended up have to put some heat on it and that did the trick.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:03 PM
thekyledeg

Yes there is a hex spot on each cam where I put a huge cresent wrench on and my breaker bar on the end cam sprocket bolt. Still couldn't break it loose. So I got a 2nd person to hold the cresent wrench while I tried with breaker bar. Still nothing. Ended up have to put some heat on it and that did the trick.
damn, glad mine werent that stuck, took two people and were still a pita on mine. any luck on the tune?
Old 03-12-2015, 06:53 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Yes there is a hex spot on each cam where I put a huge cresent wrench on and my breaker bar on the end cam sprocket bolt. Still couldn't break it loose.
yea yea yea - come to think about it I had 2 people with me when I unbolted...
Old 03-13-2015, 04:13 PM
thekyledeg

Well, Finally decided to take her off the stands today and onto the open road. Uprev, and some members on this board have been helping me with the tune, still having some problems with it loving to stall if i dont rev above 1500 rpm's. Oh well. No low speed drivability gives me an excuse to drive fast right? Ill get my gopro out tomorrow and make a video for you guys. She sounds like a v8 at idle its pretty awesome and my god she loves to rev even only to the 4k i've taken it to. These 272's shake the whole car at idle, even with it set at 900rpm.
anyway, 6 PUCK + 272= NO GO. Such a hard beast to drive, cant wait to have a normal clutch again...
Old 03-14-2015, 07:38 AM
thekyledeg

Heres a link for an idle video, please excuse the squealing belt I was just finishing up getting the cooling system bled since we all know thats a two day long process...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=943602975663545

Last edited by thekyledeg; 03-14-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:01 PM
The_Assassin

Originally Posted by thekyledeg
Heres a link for an idle video, please excuse the squealing belt I was just finishing up getting the cooling system bled since we all know thats a two day long process...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=943602975663545
Car sounds real good man. Cant wait to see what results you get when its tuned
Old 03-14-2015, 04:05 PM
thekyledeg

Originally Posted by The_Assassin
Car sounds real good man. Cant wait to see what results you get when its tuned
thanks, found a few people that are helping me with tuning via cipher logging as of now just to hold me over till I get the chance to tune it
Old 03-20-2015, 10:12 PM
KA24DE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DC headers are poo, don't use them. Otherwise, fantastic build, I can't wait to see the numbers.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:12 PM
thekyledeg

Originally Posted by KA24DE
DC headers are poo, don't use them. Otherwise, fantastic build, I can't wait to see the numbers.
They're one of the best options besides crawford and stillen for shorties since I didnt want to run longtubes since my car goes through customs. They've made 320hp on Z1's build, have good fitment, built sturdy and are pretty decently port matched, also are proven to make power. But everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:22 AM
thekyledeg

Just an update, everything is going well. Crank position sensor went bad again but thats cause there was an exposed wire but i fixed that and replaced the sensor so were back on the road. Up next should be an Innovative Wideband, I Just rebuilt the Brembos and replaced the brake lines with stainless steel all round last saturday and Motul 5.1 fluid, drives like a dream now. Only have one slight/ could be a big problem. Keep getting the p0011 code up for bank 1 intake cam timing over advanced. I thought nothing of it cause i read it could be caused from the crank pos. sensor going bad but, after replacing the crank pos sensor i still get the code. I removed the VVT solenoids and lo and behold there was a decent amount of RVT blocking the oil passages so i figured thats gotta be whats causing the problem, cleaned them out.. nope.. nothing. code still persists. Logged them in cipher bank 1 is around 15 degrees at idle and bank 2 is around 13.5 degrees at idle. Any ideas?
Old 04-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

With similar mods (same cams) I was getting the same error, but I know where mine was coming from... In reassembly, I scored/elongated the cam gear dowel when torqueing it down. So I had a fair amount of "advancement play" on the one bank. Hopefully you didn't do the same thing. You can tell without removing the cam gear by loosening it up, to snug, and then twisting the cam gear by hand... if there is no play...your good. You should be able to get access through the gear port on the cover.

Last edited by Zazz93; 04-03-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:15 AM
thekyledeg

Originally Posted by Zazz93
With similar mods (same cams) I was getting the same error, but I know where mine was coming from... In reassembly, I scored/elongated the cam gear dowel when torqueing it down. So I had a fair amount of "advancement play" on the one bank. Hopefully you didn't do the same thing. You can tell without removing the cam gear by loosening it up, to snug, and then twisting the cam gear by hand... if there is no play...your good. You should be able to get access through the gear port on the cover.
im guessing this is my problem, cause it was a ***** to get them to align correctly on that bank. Is uprev capable of flashing the ecu to ignore this code to pass emissions
Old 04-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine held up well, as long as you are not tuned to the ragged edge it shouldn't be too big.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:59 PM
thekyledeg

Originally Posted by Zazz93
Mine held up well, as long as you are not tuned to the ragged edge it shouldn't be too big.
yeaah, doesnt sound like itd be a big issue but its something id worry bout all the time so.. apart the timing cover comes.. again.

Quick Reply: VQ35DE Build