Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

VQ35DE Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:06 PM
thekyledeg

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default VQ35DE Build

Hey guys, first post on this forum, new to the VQ engines but I've built 350sbc's before and an m50 from an e36. I am a service-member in the Army serving overseas, I have no car over here and no projects to work on so I'm going insane as go-karts are the only wheeled vehicles sustaining my sanity.

Goals: My goal is to make around 300rwhp NA(obviously why im posting here) I also want a Hi-Revving motor aiming for a 8k redline and it needs to be reliable/bulletproof. (I know this is a tall order)

Money: Not a problem, I know its expensive and tough to make NA power on these motors and if I go FI Ill save money and have gobbs of power blah blah, save it for somebody else please.

Plan: rebuilding heads. Honing the block, Eagle Rods, ARP hardware, Weisco 11:1 95.5mm pistons. Tomei 272/11.3in/11.0ex cams, JWT springs.

Supporting Mods:
Rev-up oil pump
DC Headers
HKS Exhaust
Plenum spacer
JWT Pop-Charger
Ltw flywheel
Testpipes

As of 11/4/2015:
Car currently in Italy. Contemplating a custom tune; but resources and communication are a problem here in Italy. Need to find an UPREV tuner here. Ive had about four E-Tunes through Uprev and she runs very nicely for now. I know there is more power left on the table. Injector duty cycle is around 90-95 percent currently so hopefully that means im making decent power. Wideband is around 13 WOT. Still have to install/Rescale tune for 4" MAF and intake piping.

Last edited by thekyledeg; 11-04-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:00 PM
M-train

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you except I'm a live long Ford guy.

I'm pretty much building the same engine as you, and so far have.

Weisco 11:1 pistons .020. [yes, block will have to be bored]
ARP main cap bolts [I will have to plastigauge everything to make sure I don't have to line hone the mains]
I've ported the DE heads.
JWT, S1 cam.260 DEG DUR. / .428"(10.9MM) LIFT
Valve springs that match the cam.
Rev up oil pump
ARP rod bolts [would like to have the Eagle rods, but for both our hp needs I think we can spend the extra $500 elsewhere..]
SRP headers [I'm building my engine for an Altima SE-R]
And, maybe a home built intake [depends on the time factor].

The only question I'm trying to find is what size are the stock head bolts? I hate the torque to yield bolts [yes I do know how wonderful they are, but I still don't want them]

I plan to buy the same size head bolts in a grade 8, just not torque to yield, this is if I can find out the size and pitch of the stockers.

Throttle body? I don't know yet. My stock tb is 70mm so I can't see spending $$$$ for only 5mm more.

I wonder if there is a way to gut the stock tb, and take the gears/solenoid over to a bigger cable controlled tb.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:33 PM
thekyledeg

sorry, I cant help on the head bolt sizing as i dont have any laying around otherwise id measure for you. Do you think the stock con. rods will be able to handle 8k with only arp main cap bolts?
Old 09-16-2014, 02:16 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a thread for your reference. Not exactly the same engine but you can learn a lot from this build:

https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/5...we-did-it.html
The following users liked this post:
StefanThePro (09-25-2017)
Old 09-16-2014, 07:26 AM
thekyledeg

Originally Posted by 350Zdj
Here's a thread for your reference. Not exactly the same engine but you can learn a lot from this build:

https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/5...we-did-it.html
thanks for the reference!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:00 AM
XChacalX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I strongly suggest you to follow Sasha's build.

If you aren't going ITB, let me know as I'm doing soon a run on Sasha's upper plenum that he was capable to d 345+whp.
but this needs a 90mm TB

2TW PWR is only capable to do about 315 with that same engine but with a 75mm TB and a slightly smaller exhaust ( 3.5'' vs 3.0'' )

https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/5...5de-32-hp.html
Old 09-16-2014, 03:43 PM
M-train

Originally Posted by thekyledeg
sorry, I cant help on the head bolt sizing as i dont have any laying around otherwise id measure for you. Do you think the stock con. rods will be able to handle 8k with only arp main cap bolts?
I made a post here on that same subject.
https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/5...rods-take.html

I think the rods can hold the power, and rpms, but I've bought some ARP rod bolt for a little extra security. Were I going to do a forced induction engine making over 400hp I would go ahead, and buy the Eagle rods, but for what you, and I are going to be doing I think the stock rods should hold up.

Also, in OPsash's build he is using stock 3.7 rods, can anyone post a pic of those rods as I did an image search, and wasn't able to find anything.

Since OPsash is making more power than me, I would like to see the stock rods to compare them to the 3.5de rods. Also, does anyone know if the rod bolts on the 3.7 are the same size as the 3.5 [as far as diameter, not length].

Last edited by M-train; 09-16-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:02 PM
XChacalX

Originally Posted by M-train
I made a post here on that same subject.
https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/5...rods-take.html

I think the rods can hold the power, and rpms, but I've bought some ARP rod bolt for a little extra security. Were I going to do a forced induction engine making over 400hp I would go ahead, and buy the Eagle rods, but for what you, and I are going to be doing I think the stock rods should hold up.

Also, in OPsash's build he is using stock 3.7 rods, can anyone post a pic of those rods as I did an image search, and wasn't able to find anything.

Since OPsash is making more power than me, I would like to see the stock rods to compare them to the 3.5de rods. Also, does anyone know if the rod bolts on the 3.7 are the same size as the 3.5 [as far as diameter, not length].

He is using the HR rods with the VHR crank and using custom piston from JWT.
both VHR & HR rods can be interchanged but they dont have the same length thus why he require a special custom piston that JWT provide.

DE is weak and you shouldn't even think about them !

Last edited by XChacalX; 09-16-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:00 PM
M-train

Originally Posted by XChacalX
He is using the HR rods with the VHR crank and using custom piston from JWT.
both VHR & HR rods can be interchanged but they dont have the same length thus why he require a special custom piston that JWT provide.

DE is weak and you shouldn't even think about them !
Can you show us a pic of the 3.7l rod, and also tell us what size is the rod bolts............thanks.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:59 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by thekyledeg
Money: Not a problem
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge).[1] The word ignorant is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware and is often used as an insult to describe individuals who deliberately ignore or disregard important information or facts. Ignoramus is commonly used in the US, the UK, and Ireland as a term for someone who is willfully ignorant. Ignorance is distinguished from stupidity, although both can lead to "unwise" acts.

Post Script - I'm not trying to insult you as referred to above...I'm interested in your build, thankful that you are serving/protecting our country and jealous of the italian go-kart scene (I just sold two IAME 100cc engines).

Originally Posted by M-train
The only question I'm trying to find is what size are the stock head bolts?
M11x1.25

Last edited by bealljk; 09-16-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:35 PM
M-train

Originally Posted by bealljk
[

M11x1.25
Thank you sir.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:53 AM
thekyledeg

Originally Posted by bealljk
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge).[1] The word ignorant is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware and is often used as an insult to describe individuals who deliberately ignore or disregard important information or facts. Ignoramus is commonly used in the US, the UK, and Ireland as a term for someone who is willfully ignorant. Ignorance is distinguished from stupidity, although both can lead to "unwise" acts.

Post Script - I'm not trying to insult you as referred to above...I'm interested in your build, thankful that you are serving/protecting our country and jealous of the italian go-kart scene (I just sold two IAME 100cc engines).

M11x1.25
cmon guy, that wasn't even relevant to anything we were talking about. I didn't mean it to be interpreted as you did. I merely meant that I don't have an issue spending the money (responsibly of course) I have earned, building a more expensive and less horsepower/$ NA platform. I just put that in there to help prevent the needless posts of "how much are you willing to spend" or "make sure you have 5k saved up" anyways....

XChacalX,
I was planning on fabricating something similar to sashas 345 whp build intake plenum along with a spacer, if I can fit a spacer in. What type of metal is the upper intake plenum made out of?
Old 10-02-2014, 09:26 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

uHH, You could make 350whp(FI) for 3k ...jus sayin
Old 10-02-2014, 03:49 PM
kpturbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
uHH, You could make 350whp(FI) for 3k ...jus sayin
This is the NA section of this forum for guys that want NA power. I think we all know that FI is less expensive but that dont mean that everyone want to go that route.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:02 PM
The_Assassin

Originally Posted by kpturbo
This is the NA section of this forum for guys that want NA power. I think we all know that FI is less expensive but that dont mean that everyone want to go that route.
well said man. Its ur car do as you please. I for one enjoy na builds, nothing like beating a modded evo or some other turbo car in an na z.

Originally Posted by XChacalX
I strongly suggest you to follow Sasha's build.

If you aren't going ITB, let me know as I'm doing soon a run on Sasha's upper plenum that he was capable to d 345+whp.
but this needs a 90mm TB

2TW PWR is only capable to do about 315 with that same engine but with a 75mm TB and a slightly smaller exhaust ( 3.5'' vs 3.0'' )

https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/5...5de-32-hp.html
sasha is selling plenums huh?

Last edited by The_Assassin; 10-02-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:34 AM
thekyledeg

Just an update, Heads are in the mail along with Tomei 272/11.3 cams, and JWT valve springs, and Viton valve stem seals. Ill update with pictures and progress along the way, full head dissemble/ and a little port matching and polishing to come! Still cant decide on exhaust options(headers specifically) 370z headers vs. DC sports or a better option? I need to be able to swap cats in for inspection, anybody have suggestions.

Last edited by thekyledeg; 01-03-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

You won't make 350 hp, You will be 10hp +/- 300RWHP
Old 10-15-2014, 07:10 AM
thekyledeg

Originally Posted by Classy
You won't make 350 hp, You will be 10hp +/- 300RWHP
thanks for the pre-dyno results
Old 10-16-2014, 04:35 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

No problem. Enjoy
Old 10-18-2014, 03:23 AM
thekyledeg

first head came in today, still waiting on my spring compressor to get in the to install the JWT spring kit. In the meanwhile time to clean up and put a polish on the combustion chamber to *try* and keep some carbon from building up for awhile... and just to kill time mostly.

Buckets and cam keepers removed

As the head came,... with leaky valves already.. hmmm.

cleaning and polishing the old head gasket, oxidation and carbon off the sealing surface. I like to use brass dremel brushes for this.

cleaning the combustion chambers

getting ready to be polished

Last edited by thekyledeg; 10-21-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: VQ35DE Build