Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Need Help Please VQ35DE NA Build Track Car Not getting HP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 04:31 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the revup pump is good to about 8000. above that you need to go dry sump. for a track only car, thats probably the direction you should be looking anyhow
Old 02-26-2015, 05:45 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

I can't say I've seen anyone using the grand am cams, I have seen many people using the Tomei cams though, for the reasons I listed before. I think anything over 280 is not going to be very good unless you have a lot of engine work. I believe that's what Tomei uses on there car (280ish) which has modified Nismo heads and 13:1 compression.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Very interested in your results, been looking at using C8 or C9 cams in my next motor. Still need to chat with JWT about my needs.

Upgrade the MAF size! TB size, and inlet piping IMO. I would test between your 3 manifold combo's , I have a feeling the inlet elbow on the manifold is holding you back.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:53 AM
dsm_mikey

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Update:

-Purchased a Wiseco Piston in the same size and C/R that are installed in my car (11:1, .20 over), as soon as I receive this I will be sending it to JWT so they can check the valve reliefs vs. the stock pistons.

-This should be useful information to anyone going with these pistons. JWT will be able to accurately inform what cams will work and which will not.

-As soon as I get feedback from JWT about how much Valve to Piston clearance, I will be ordering a cam that will work within the tolerances available.

Then...waiting game for all parts to arrive and install. UPREV tune and dyno results!

-Mike
Old 03-01-2015, 10:33 AM
dsm_mikey

Question:

-Will I need to upgrade the fuel system at all for N/A power? (Injectors, Fuel pump)

I am assuming it should be fine, but just making sure!

Thanks!

Mike
Old 03-01-2015, 12:08 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by dsm_mikey
Question:

-Will I need to upgrade the fuel system at all for N/A power? (Injectors, Fuel pump)

I am assuming it should be fine, but just making sure!

Thanks!

Mike
Wont hurt, I have some dw440s if you want.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:43 AM
dsm_mikey

Originally Posted by Conway_160
Wont hurt, I have some dw440s if you want.

Do I need to upgrade the fuel system? If not, I won't. There are enough variables already...

Here are the changes planned:
-Change out Borla header for PPE Stepped, Collector Longtube Header (Ordered)
-Change out Shitty Kinetix SSV Intake Manifold to: Stock set up w/ 5/16 Motrdyne spacer (Ordered)
-Change JWT S2 Cams to JWT Grand Am Cams (Waiting on JWT feedback)
-Change from Aluminum Front Crank Pulley to Stock Pulley
-Retune w/ UPREV for the above modifications
Old 03-03-2015, 01:19 PM
Conway_160

Well, your 290's should max out around 290whp on pump, if you want to run E85 you're going to need something alot bigger. The 440's would good upgrade or you can look for R35 OEM injectors.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:49 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

To take advantage of the a Grand Am cams you will need a different manifold. Something like this may work
Old 03-03-2015, 08:14 PM
The_Assassin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are staying NA what about doing a stroker to 4.1L? just a thought curious as to the gains that will produce. I watched a vid on youtube and a guy claimed to be making 350whp and 320wtq stroked 11 comp and 272 cams. Maybe up the compression to 12 and run e85 I will post up the video in a second.

Last edited by The_Assassin; 03-03-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:16 PM
The_Assassin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-04-2015, 12:19 PM
dsm_mikey

Originally Posted by terrasmak
To take advantage of the a Grand Am cams you will need a different manifold. Something like this may work
Like what?
Old 03-04-2015, 01:08 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

This thread is all over the place. Whoever told you to change cams should be shot given the cost and effort required to change. Any change from your existing cam would hardly make any difference in peak power. A non-revup plenum and spacer is the way to go for a wider torque band. Long tube headers will be painful to install but should show decent gains. Choose a decent exhaust to mate up to it then get it tuned by someone experienced with the VQ. Then just stop. The DE isn't going to make much more than high 200s to the wheel. If you want to go faster, the only thing else I'd consider is a shorter final drive gear.

It is good that your engine is healthy (I would have checked that first also), but there are so many issues that could be affecting power output (e.g. bad plugs, knocking with a bad tank of gas, etc) that just throwing parts at the car is probably not the best way to proceed.

Good luck.

PS. You do not need to change your oil pump. Rev up works just fine to 8k rpms. I would've gotten the ATI dampener pulley too btw (1cockyz has made solid suggestions, glad you listened to him)

Last edited by rcdash; 03-04-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:33 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Like what?
https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/6...maxima-tb.html

Forgot to post the link
Old 03-08-2015, 07:55 AM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sub'd. Interested to see your results and final configuration.

Definitely need to look into opening up the intake for it to make over 300. Bigger MAF, intake piping, TB and no bottle necking to the plenum. Refer to the SG threads with their intake testing. Making over 300 with stock TB and stock plenum is doable, but I think very few have done it (staying NA that is).

Last edited by Fixxxercask; 03-08-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:12 AM
dsm_mikey

Just a quick update on progress:

1. PPE stepped headers with merge collector are ordered...just waiting for them to be built and shipped.
2. JWT Grand Am cams are ordered. Should be arriving and be installed next week.
3. NISMO oil pump ordered from Z1 and should be arriving and installed next week.
4. NWP 75 mm throttle body ordered and should be arriving next week.
5. Obviously new plugs, and other items will be replaced before tuning. Will be tuning with UPREV by John from Z1 once all the parts are installed. All parts are being installed at MMW Mueller Motorwerks located in Kohler, WI...great guys to know if you have a Nissan and live in WI! I bring my Z06 and my RX8 to these guys as well...they do outstanding work!!
6. Still looking for a better intake manifold option than stock w/spacer...
7. On the fence about upgrading to larger injectors...

Will keep up to date...

Will dyno when done and provide before and after graph. Hoping for good gains.

Fyi..7500 rpm fuel cut, 4.08 rear gears w/ OS Giken rear.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 03-14-2015, 06:19 PM
Conway_160

Best intake for high rpm I belive is cosworth or if your serious about n/a itb's is the best route hands down.

Just a quick update on progress:

1. PPE stepped headers with merge collector are ordered...just waiting for them to be built and shipped.
2. JWT Grand Am cams are ordered. Should be arriving and be installed next week.
3. NISMO oil pump ordered from Z1 and should be arriving and installed next week.
4. NWP 75 mm throttle body ordered and should be arriving next week.
5. Obviously new plugs, and other items will be replaced before tuning. Will be tuning with UPREV by John from Z1 once all the parts are installed. All parts are being installed at MMW Mueller Motorwerks located in Kohler, WI...great guys to know if you have a Nissan and live in WI! I bring my Z06 and my RX8 to these guys as well...they do outstanding work!!
6. Still looking for a better intake manifold option than stock w/spacer...
7. On the fence about upgrading to larger injectors...

Will keep up to date...

Will dyno when done and provide before and after graph. Hoping for good gains.

Fyi..7500 rpm fuel cut, 4.08 rear gears w/ OS Giken rear.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 03-15-2015, 06:28 AM
dsm_mikey

Originally Posted by Conway_160
Best intake for high rpm I belive is cosworth or if your serious about n/a itb's is the best route hands down.
1. No ITB'S for me. They are proven to work...I do not doubt this. Just seems very difficult to package and tune.

2. I would consider the Cosworth if I saw any proof that this intake manifold made any power. Every dyno sheet I have viewed with the Cosworth Intake manifold has been a poor showing.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:58 AM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. No ITB'S for me. They are proven to work...I do not doubt this. Just seems very difficult to package and tune.

2. I would consider the Cosworth if I saw any proof that this intake manifold made any power. Every dyno sheet I have viewed with the Cosworth Intake manifold has been a poor showing.
There is one dyno sheet that looks good for it but you have to know what you're looking for. I'm hoping to have something for setups like this proven real soon.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:26 AM
dsm_mikey

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
There is one dyno sheet that looks good for it but you have to know what you're looking for. I'm hoping to have something for setups like this proven real soon.
I've been watching your progress with your setup...hoping for success!

I am really hoping to find something that will allow 7000 rpm+ breathing in the DE motors.

I am wondering if machining out the stock upper manifold elbow would help. I bought the larger NWP 75mm throttle body to help matters.

Quick Reply: Need Help Please VQ35DE NA Build Track Car Not getting HP!!