Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

2006 Base 350z Lower Rod Knock, Rebuild, Swap/Swap Upgrade, or Rebuild Upgrade.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:21 PM
Jack Mallis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2006 Base 350z Lower Rod Knock, Rebuild, Swap/Swap Upgrade, or Rebuild Upgrade.

Hey Everyone,

So my daily driver, 2006 350z Base Package, engine is no good. I'm in a bit of a dilemma now and looking for the best advice I can get. The engine I have in my car is the VQ35hr.

Just for a little info. It is my daily driver, but I drive hard, I push her over 100 almost every time I'm on the highway, and drift corners all the time etc. I love power and my plan before this mishap was to eventually get her up to 400hp. But now I'm in a bit of a crunch, and don't know if this is or isn't the time to dive into upgrades.

So my first option is to do a rebuild. If I do a rebuild I would have to have a mechanic do it for me, I don't have the time or equipment to do it myself and I need to get it back on the road ASAP. How much should I spend on a rebuild, what kind of basic upgrades should I do?

Another option would be to do a whole build. I had wanted to eventually put a turbo into it from when I first got it. I wanted to wait for my financial situation to be a bit stronger, but if its only a couple grand more to get my final product. I'll do it if it's the time. What would I be looking at for a price on this whole project/what should my project entail? I know it all depends on the person, but I'm hoping someone has done a good solid build that doesn't completely break the bank that could give me some guidance.

My third option is to find a used or rebuilt vq35hr and switch them out. From my understanding this would be the most cost efficient method, and potentially the simplest.. does anyone have any advice as to what I should stay away from when swapping out my engine and how much this process should cost?

My final option (that I know of) is to swap out my engine for an upgrade. I wouldn't want to do anything too crazy, but I do know that the 2007 came with a vq35de rev up engine, would this be a good swap? Or would it be worth it/ possible to put a vq37hr from the 370z in it? Like I said I wouldn't want to do anything crazy.

Just for your info, I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to engines/builds/and swaps. It's something I wanted to get into when I had more time later down the road, but as of right now I don't have a lot of knowledge of terminology etc. So please if you could be pretty detailed in your response that would be great..

I want to come out of this with a better Z than I went in with, but I don't want to kill my pockets. I still owe a good amount of money on this car so I think selling and getting another isn't an option.

Thank you for your help!
Old 08-15-2016, 01:25 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

This is not a build and your a not going to get love here speed racer either your street drifting either
Old 08-15-2016, 01:25 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,043 Likes on 6,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Mallis
Hey Everyone,

So my daily driver, 2006 350z Base Package, engine is no good. I'm in a bit of a dilemma now and looking for the best advice I can get. The engine I have in my car is the VQ35hr.

Just for a little info. It is my daily driver, but I drive hard, I push her over 100 almost every time I'm on the highway, and drift corners all the time etc. I love power and my plan before this mishap was to eventually get her up to 400hp. But now I'm in a bit of a crunch, and don't know if this is or isn't the time to dive into upgrades.

So my first option is to do a rebuild. If I do a rebuild I would have to have a mechanic do it for me, I don't have the time or equipment to do it myself and I need to get it back on the road ASAP. How much should I spend on a rebuild, what kind of basic upgrades should I do?

Another option would be to do a whole build. I had wanted to eventually put a turbo into it from when I first got it. I wanted to wait for my financial situation to be a bit stronger, but if its only a couple grand more to get my final product. I'll do it if it's the time. What would I be looking at for a price on this whole project/what should my project entail? I know it all depends on the person, but I'm hoping someone has done a good solid build that doesn't completely break the bank that could give me some guidance.

My third option is to find a used or rebuilt vq35hr and switch them out. From my understanding this would be the most cost efficient method, and potentially the simplest.. does anyone have any advice as to what I should stay away from when swapping out my engine and how much this process should cost?

My final option (that I know of) is to swap out my engine for an upgrade. I wouldn't want to do anything too crazy, but I do know that the 2007 came with a vq35de rev up engine, would this be a good swap? Or would it be worth it/ possible to put a vq37hr from the 370z in it? Like I said I wouldn't want to do anything crazy.

Just for your info, I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to engines/builds/and swaps. It's something I wanted to get into when I had more time later down the road, but as of right now I don't have a lot of knowledge of terminology etc. So please if you could be pretty detailed in your response that would be great..

I want to come out of this with a better Z than I went in with, but I don't want to kill my pockets. I still owe a good amount of money on this car so I think selling and getting another isn't an option.

Thank you for your help!
You are all kinds of confused

06 has revup
07-08 had hr

And it sounds like you drive like a douche
Old 08-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Jack Mallis

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
This is not a build and your a not going to get love here speed racer either your street drifting either
??? So because I drive fast you don't want to help?
Old 08-15-2016, 01:37 PM
travlee
Master

Dugan day is right around the corner
Old 08-15-2016, 01:38 PM
Jack Mallis

Originally Posted by travlee
You are all kinds of confused

06 has revup
07-08 had hr

And it sounds like you drive like a douche
Well I know mines an 06 and I I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the rev up.... but then again, like I said I don't have much knowledge on the topic. And lol, no I just drive hard and like to go fast....
Old 08-15-2016, 01:40 PM
travlee
Master

You have the revup
Old 08-15-2016, 01:47 PM
Jack Mallis

You have the revup
Thanks so much for all your help.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:57 PM
travlee
Master

Well at least i know what engine you have.

Cheapest would to be either rebuild yours or throw another rev up in... anything else would be too much because there is alot more involved than just throwing a motor in
Old 08-15-2016, 03:06 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Your engine did us all a favor by failing. Thank it for me.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:08 PM
dcains

Dugan day is right around the corner
Pumpkin pie is my favorite.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:22 PM
Jack Mallis

Originally Posted by dcains
Your engine did us all a favor by failing. Thank it for me.
I'm confused.. I thought this would be a place where people would help....
Old 08-15-2016, 03:23 PM
dcains

You want support for driving like an @sshole? Good luck with that.
The following users liked this post:
Jack Mallis (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 03:46 PM
Jack Mallis

Okay, lets clear the air here... I actually really need help. I love my Z.. I have always driven fast and never been in an accident because of it. I'm a seasoned driver and i exaggerated when i said "all the time" when talking about drifting corners. I don't think I should be crucified for having fun in my fun car.

With that aside, if you don't have something constructive for me, if you could just not say anything at all that would be fantastic. I find it interesting i'm on a 350z forum, but everyone is offended for using the performance we all praise....

I need my car back. and I need someones help that has been in a similar situation as mine.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:53 PM
travlee
Master

Cheapest would to be either rebuild yours or throw another rev up in... anything else would be too much because there is alot more involved than just throwing a motor in
Originally Posted by Jack Mallis
Okay, lets clear the air here... I actually really need help. I love my Z.. I have always driven fast and never been in an accident because of it. I'm a seasoned driver and i exaggerated when i said "all the time" when talking about drifting corners. I don't think I should be crucified for having fun in my fun car.

With that aside, if you don't have something constructive for me, if you could just not say anything at all that would be fantastic. I find it interesting i'm on a 350z forum, but everyone is offended for using the performance we all praise....

I need my car back. and I need someones help that has been in a similar situation as mine.
i already answered ya. it would be cheapest, and prob fastest to replace with the same type motor or rebuild.. bad thing about a used motor is you don't know how well it was maintained
The following users liked this post:
Jack Mallis (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 04:54 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

If you want 400hp and you need a new engine find yourself a gto or other appropriate smashed to **** gm automobile take the ls1 engine and whatever transmission it might have, read the thread about LSX swap.... Save yourself money in the longrun, won't need to worry about burning oil on a rev-up...

If your car is a 6 speed and redlines above 6800 rpm it's a rev-up

If its an auto you have a non rev-up

Good luck DK