Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Need help with rebuilding my 2003 350Z

Old 12-15-2016, 04:25 PM
Tootlers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with rebuilding my 2003 350Z

So I have an 03 6spd with 140k miles. She spits out plums of blue smoke. I can burn through a quart of oil in 4-5 days if I'm driving hard. So I plan on getting it rebuilt. Here's my question: is it worth it to go ahead and actually build the motor? If so what route should I go and what parts do I want? Let's just say I'm a dummy when it comes to engine internals so treat me like I'm stupid when explaining. Basically I want to push more HP and fix the valve seals/ stem seals/ piston rings or whatever combination of all the above is making it smoke so bad.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:40 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Use the search bar and read builds and rebuilds from other members on here, there's almost 14 years of experience and information on this forum with the Z/G. Then after that, make an educated decision on the parts you need with your goals and budget in mind.

If you are doing a basic rebuild, they sell kits that are OEM standard, I believe Z1 Motorsports has a few selections, or you can buy a shortblock with forged rods, pistons and race bearings preassembled. Really depends on your goals and budget like I said.
The following users liked this post:
travlee (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 04:41 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,043 Likes on 6,509 Posts

IPP in houston has blocks also.... and agree with blue stream
Old 12-15-2016, 05:56 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Bluestream said the magic word: GOAL.

Not "cool", not "so and so has 13.5:1 pistons so they must be good", not "310 degree cam cuz it sounds so cool when it lopes".

Think "street motor", "dual purpose street & track", "low-to-mid-range torque", "rev to rival a Cuisinart"... those sorts of things; essentially the operating function you want from your motor and build from there.

Personally, unless you're really going for a ba**s-to-the-wall NA (or prepping for FI) build, I'd keep it close to stock.... up the compression half a point, mild cams, good head work, good lubrication system. Reliable, and ready to run.
The following users liked this post:
rustyschopshop (12-18-2016)

Search this Thread