Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

New 350Z owners, read this before doing any modifications to your Z.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 11:43 AM
gaseous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

zland,

An absolutely great thread and a wealth of information. Thank you for taking your time to write up such research on a hobby that has far too many sides to count - once again, great job.

Like you I've been a recent track convert, having been to two Summit Point racing events and planning to attend a lot more. I'm aiming for the solo nod so I can run the car out there by myself.

My view point in this is that I'm going to be waiting to do most of the mods until a bit later and when they do come they will be in the way of stability and control. Basically, brakes and suspension. Then I'll wait and learn the new car and keep adding and learning as I go.

For the moment now, the stock Z still has a lot to teach me. My goal is to be fast, but my type of fast is a quicker lap time like Commasense does. Carry the speed through the corners smoothly and hit the line each time will reward me much more than any of the modifications could at this moment. After I've caught up to the potential of this car, then, let the modding begin!

Cheers again, great job. I really wish I could join you in your Z track day but I'm on the east coast. It would be a blast to run with 30 other Z's on the track.

- Thai
Old 11-28-2003, 11:50 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Thai:

Maybe you can run 30 other 350Z's? Do what i did, get something organized and plan far enough in advance. I bet there is a group of like minded Z owners willing to drive a couple hours to track their Z's amoung of other Z owners.

Jeff - zland
Old 11-29-2003, 12:48 PM
Buff

zland,

What a great post! I've had my Z since Oct. 23 & have been reading a lot of posts trying to decide what mods to make.
Since this is my first "sports car", I really didn't have a clue as to what direction to take. Now that she's in the garage until Spring I've got plenty to think about. Thanks for all your insight
Old 11-30-2003, 01:06 PM
rudypanama

Thank You Jeff. It has been very insightful reading your summary.

Rudy
Old 11-30-2003, 06:34 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I want to thank all of those that have responded so positively to this thread. I was asked why I would spend the time to write this lengthy overview for people I dont know. I feel that everyone of your replies that have thanked me have answered that question 10 fold.

I wish you all the best of luck with your Z's. Again, if any specific questions come to mind from you as you read this thread, dont hesitate to ask me. I am on this site daily. Most of the time, I feel there are others that know more than myself on any specific area of expertise. If I cant give you a detailed answer I hope I can refer you to someone that can. Collectively, there is a wealth of knowledge in this group.

Jeff - zland
Old 12-07-2003, 02:40 PM
buckleyj

Default Tire feathering

I'm having the same tire feathering problem that many o3' owners are having. I'm scheduled to take the car in tomorrow. I'll be asking the Dealer to replace the front tires. However in the event they don't, I'll be replacing the tires. I have 18" tires. Do you have an suggestions for a better tire that the OE?
Old 12-07-2003, 04:30 PM
SungNamZ

Originally posted by damen
man how do you sit there and right all of that?
Fantastic! I haven't done that much, but I had subscribed to this site or had a chance to read prior to modding, would have saved some dollars. While removed, would not have installed the Injen CAI. Also, I make a lot of long trips on freeways. A "Bra" or "Clearcoat" would have protected my "Z". However, I don't like the clear coat protection that goes across the hood. Would have only done the front bumper area only!
Old 12-07-2003, 06:23 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Ron Keller
Also, I make a lot of long trips on freeways. A "Bra" or "Clearcoat" would have protected my "Z". However, I don't like the clear coat protection that goes across the hood. Would have only done the front bumper area only!
I agree, I did not personally like the seam that goes accross the hood thus I went for ft bumber only. I feel 90% of the potiential chipping will occur on that area anyways.

Jeff - zland
Old 12-11-2003, 04:06 PM
Reddevil

Jeff,

nice post. i have a question regarding the nismo parts. most of those parts are not recommended for 350z with VDC do you know why?
Old 12-12-2003, 05:21 AM
Whataguy5431

Default Injen CAI

Fantastic! I haven't done that much, but I had subscribed to this site or had a chance to read prior to modding, would have saved some dollars. While removed, would not have installed the Injen CAI.

Ron,

Why wouldn't you have installed Injen? Did you have it then take it off? I was considering doing this mod. tanks
Old 12-12-2003, 10:34 AM
Jim Jones
Banned

Default Just Turn Off the VDC

Reddevil -

Simple solution. I turn off the VDC every time I start the car, unless it is raining (and it never snows in L.A.).
Old 01-04-2004, 08:41 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Well, I guess this is what happens when you don't read posts in the General Forum much...you miss all the good stuff

I remember when all there was was a General Forum
Old 01-04-2004, 10:25 AM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

Great post. I am constantly up and down on what mod I would like to do next and often impulse or someone elses opinion/post ends up being the deciding factor. Your post helps to keep the big picture in mind and not rush into anything...I will do some search on warranty issues but I am still unsure about how much Nissan can hassle you over certain issues. I have Injen CAI and I plan to order Borla TD and RT High flow cats sometime this week, if a dealer isn't mod friendly how much could they deny me as far as warranty goes? I am having a strange rattle in the engine bay and I have a feeling they are just going to change my oil, blame the rattle on the injen, and call it a day. Also do you guys think it is a necessity to get ECU as soon as i go with the high flow cats? Thanks,
~Jarrett
Old 01-06-2004, 03:58 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by AudioPat
Well, I guess this is what happens when you don't read posts in the General Forum much...you miss all the good stuff

I remember when all there was was a General Forum
Pat -- did you happen to see page 54?

Bob
Old 01-07-2004, 01:56 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Reddevil
Jeff,

nice post. i have a question regarding the nismo parts. most of those parts are not recommended for 350z with VDC do you know why?
Read pg 31 of the SportZ magazine winter 2003 issue. The interview with NISMO engineers answer that question for you.

Jeff - zland
Old 01-07-2004, 02:03 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by kamikaZ
Great post. I am constantly up and down on what mod I would like to do next and often impulse or someone elses opinion/post ends up being the deciding factor. Your post helps to keep the big picture in mind and not rush into anything...I will do some search on warranty issues but I am still unsure about how much Nissan can hassle you over certain issues. I have Injen CAI and I plan to order Borla TD and RT High flow cats sometime this week, if a dealer isn't mod friendly how much could they deny me as far as warranty goes? I am having a strange rattle in the engine bay and I have a feeling they are just going to change my oil, blame the rattle on the injen, and call it a day. Also do you guys think it is a necessity to get ECU as soon as i go with the high flow cats? Thanks,
~Jarrett
Each dealer has a different level of being "mod" friendly. In Southern California for example, Mossy of Oceanside and Performance Nissan are the most "mod" friendly dealers I know. They are both also the most into selling aftermarket parts for 350Z's too. If you think about it, it makes sense. A dealer that promotes the sell and installation of modified parts will most likely be more friendly to service them.

My suggestion is to find the dealer closest to you that promotes, sells, and installs these type of parts. My bet is they are your best bet for having them serviced under warrranty.

Jeff - zland
Old 01-21-2004, 01:19 AM
Rick*K

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent post Jeff.
Just got my Performance Model Jan. 02 and I knew the first thing I wanted was a Clear Bra. I will be calling Envisage for an installation ASAP.
I hate the gravel trucks on our freeways.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:12 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Wise choice, the paint is so soft, especially when it is brand new.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:17 PM
ibiza

THANK YOU FOR THE ADVISEMENTS..........AND FOR TAKING TIME TO WRITE THIS STUFF FOR US.......
Old 01-23-2004, 06:16 AM
350z_Playa

As a Senior NCO (Sergeant) in the U.S Air Force I can appreciate your attention to detail and clear and concise approach to your post. Outstanding job!!

Quick Reply: New 350Z owners, read this before doing any modifications to your Z.