Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

newbie trying to restore/tune up car

Old 09-11-2014, 10:16 PM
Ccastaneda-48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie trying to restore/tune up car

My first 350z. Wanting this car sence i was little. I know abit about cars n i have my friends helping me out as much as they can.(but there all honda heads).. so i saved up money and bought this car i got for cheap. Im trying to restore the car. And also wanted to know how to tune up the car the right way. But would like save a few bucks still if possible.

I have an 05 performance 350z. I read the stock specs are 287hp and around 200 or so on torque. I want to tune up to 387hp and 330 torque. Im thinking Variable Turbo. But not sure yet. (I know i want to turbo forsure though) my friend from UTI says to work on Bolt Ons first then work up to turbo. But as a newbie I don't know were to start. Finally. I want to get the exhaust, to sound nice. rumble with a double release sound.(crackle)

So Goal:
HorsePower 287 +100: 387- 400hp(Max)

Torque: (around?)200 +330

Exhaust: nice rumble sound/double release at the rev.

Restore parts: idk cant remember all the parts but

The cubbie wont close. I think theres a piece missing.

The radio is fallin in. Wont hold in place.

Center glove box missing entire piece inside completely. (Anyone know whats suppose to be in it?)

Front bumper orange side markers.

Transmission was bad. N got a new trany, fly wheel, front bearing, clutch.

Transmission still makes noise when driving. Hearing the trany turning gears. Or spinning.

Tires are wrong sizes on both ends. Want right tire sizes and wanted to go 19in but want to keep the same thickness from tire to rim. (Will this keep my traction and speed? Or will i lose abit?) To close the gap from wheel to car. (I asume i would have to drop the car to go back to stock size)

Thats for now. Ill post more info as it comes

Thanks. No crap response. Serious restoration/tune up project.

Last edited by Ccastaneda-48; 09-13-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to the forum. There's plenty of info to read through regarding Turbo builds on here, so set aside an hour or three and get reading. If you're looking to do stuff on the cheap then maybe you bought yourself the wrong car!!!

Last edited by samsniss350z; 09-12-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

lol... Baller on a budget.

Without much experience/a decent job, you shouldn't even be thinking FI. Do you have at least $10K to drop on the turbo, supporting parts, and tune? Also, it's not as easy as bolt-on and go...

287 is at the crank in best possible conditions. You're probably sub-250 at the wheels.

Not trying to be a downer, but you need to be realistic.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:28 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

you will need to get 4 part time jobs to do what you are wanting if you want to do it in a reasonable time frame
Old 09-12-2014, 10:46 AM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

Welcome to MY350Z.

Originally Posted by Syner
Without much experience/a decent job, you shouldn't even be thinking FI. Do you have at least $10K to drop on the turbo, supporting parts, and tune? Also, it's not as easy as bolt-on and go...

287 is at the crank in best possible conditions. You're probably sub-250 at the wheels.

Originally Posted by travlee
you will need to get 4 part time jobs to do what you are wanting if you want to do it in a reasonable time frame
+1

If you plan to go FI, be sure to have at least $15,000+ to send to have things done the right way. Do your research before jumping into things that can hurt you down the road.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

...and the OP rode off into the sunset, never to be heard of again.

The End.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Ccastaneda-48

Originally Posted by Syner
lol... Baller on a budget.

No not baller on a budget. Just some hard savings time for the next x-months needed. But i read that doing turbo the right way on my car means going full on track. And its a daily car as well. So i think the next thing i would go for then is more torque. My friend has an 80's Mustang that kills from all his torque under the hood. So how can i go about upgrading my torque to get some power out of the car?

I was planning to work on internals in the engine and parts around to gain 30hp here and there.

Last edited by Ccastaneda-48; 09-12-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:06 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Pics of el coche? si por favor.

a proposito Mustangs chupan. Muchas gracias.
No hablo ingles porque mi pais invadido.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:10 PM
travlee
Master

that translates to.... silly noob, unless you are going to seriously tear into the motor, you won't get 30 hp
Old 09-13-2014, 04:30 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Bahahaha
Old 09-13-2014, 05:22 PM
375rngrZ

I can see you really want to squeeze more power out of your car. so what your gonna want to do is.....sell it and pick up something other then the VQ platform. I hope this clears some things up for you.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Ccastaneda-48

Nice i like all the help im getting from this forum. Really lets my know were to start.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:19 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Should've bought a honda bruh....
Old 09-25-2014, 05:23 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Ccastaneda-48
Nice i like all the help im getting from this forum. Really lets my know were to start.

Thanks.
You want really help? Be serious. No one takes you serious because you soun like honda civic owner. You don't know chit about cars yet you're talking about turbos. This isn't fast and furious or need for speed kid. The real world works a bit differently.

You want you build to add 100 hp? Spray the b!tch. You want constantly reliable 100 more? Sell the car and buy something with 100hp more. You probably spent 5-8k on the z. That's barely enough for a turbo kit let alone all the work and supporting mod it needs. You're looking at 2-3x what you paid for your car when this build finish.

Go buy a c5 vette and call it a day.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:40 AM
Scuba13

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.
Honestly man, you didn't really ask any real questions in here. You just stated that you are trying to restore / build up your car.

My advice (I'm still just a pup on these forums, so from one forum noob to another) is to just read. Don't make any threads that are this general. Head on over to the D.I.Y. section, or each specific sub-forum and read. Read threads going back YEARS ago. You're going to see the patterns of what has been working, what is sketchy, and what is a waste of money / going to ruin your ride. PM members asking about very specific things that they have done themselves. Post up your own progress pics and maybe someone will notice if you're doing something wrong or right. And you have to realize that this aint no civic with parts and knock off parts galore. This is a quality car that needs some knowledge to start digging into. You maynot be Honda head, but if your friends are, then you're around all that all the time.

Quality over quantity. One step at a time
Old 09-25-2014, 07:50 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks.
I think your getting the correct answers. They could possibly be phrased a little more elegantly, but they are good answers. The problem is they are answers you don't want to hear. Your Z should have plenty of power for a beginning driver so drive it stock for awhile and then make some decisions regarding how you want to build the car.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:17 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Since, sense, cents
Old 09-26-2014, 04:37 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by Scuba13
Honestly man, you didn't really ask any real questions in here. You just stated that you are trying to restore / build up your car.

My advice (I'm still just a pup on these forums, so from one forum noob to another) is to just read. Don't make any threads that are this general. Head on over to the D.I.Y. section, or each specific sub-forum and read. Read threads going back YEARS ago. You're going to see the patterns of what has been working, what is sketchy, and what is a waste of money / going to ruin your ride. PM members asking about very specific things that they have done themselves. Post up your own progress pics and maybe someone will notice if you're doing something wrong or right. And you have to realize that this aint no civic with parts and knock off parts galore. This is a quality car that needs some knowledge to start digging into. You maynot be Honda head, but if your friends are, then you're around all that all the time.

Quality over quantity. One step at a time
well stated and great advice, i knight the senior noob

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
I think your getting the correct answers. They could possibly be phrased a little more elegantly, but they are good answers. The problem is they are answers you don't want to hear. Your Z should have plenty of power for a beginning driver so drive it stock for awhile and then make some decisions regarding how you want to build the car.
the truth sucks to hear when you think you will have a fast Z with just 4k in parts

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
Since, sense, cents
scents
Old 09-30-2014, 12:48 AM
jdmlove1

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my son.. you just wrote numbers and said will do this and that.. made me feel like you are working on RC car. its not that easy son.

first check your Engine trans status then bushings/suspension/Brakes status..

then start dreaming about HP numbers and Boltons.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:35 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn. The amount of $$$'s you saved from buying the car for cheap didn't seem to do you any good. That's a lot of fixes you got there on your list.

Eliminate each issue one by one, according to their level of importance. I bet some bushings on that car are shot as well.

Once you got her fully restored, trust me it will be more enjoyable to drive. I wouldn't drive around a 400hp Z with the rest of the parts falling off.

Think about boost upgrade later on - when you have enough knowledge, budget and the ability to handle it. Such project is no child's play.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: newbie trying to restore/tune up car