New Owner. Need help. Bought my Z in December 2016

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:40 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
haha I knew that would cause a stir. I don't want to get into snake oil merits. Investigate it yourself - I don't feel that strongly, one way or the other.

As far as the tranny cooler goes, If you change the fluid you should get one. That's science, a cooler AT is a better AT and there's some good products out there - not necessarily STILLEN
Originally Posted by aqe040466
2004 Nissan 350z Touring 5MT or 5AT, if its manual trans it should be 6MT.
Change the ATF but only use Nissan Matic J ATF and also change the ATF filter.

Couple minor things here.

Nissan's Matic-J, while still available, has been superseded by Nissan with a newer formulation called Matic-S. (Been this way for at least 7-8 years.)

Now, don't worry, putting Matic-J isn't going to hurt anything for sure since it was OEM but the new fluid is very much akin to the "manual transmission oil wars"; where Redline MT-85 is a very popular choice and for good reason... proper friction modifiers for our transmissions.

Same with Matic-S - it is FULL SYNTH (Matic-J is only partial) and has the necessary friction modifiers in it and as such is the preferred fluid for RWD Nissans backdated to when Matic-J was first put into use. (Don't know when that was.) But assuredly, all Nissan slushboxes after about '09-10 came with the new stuff from the factory.

But that's splitting hairs... older car had Matic-J, just stick with it until you're ready to do a full trans flush (and I personally don't recommend that).

==========

The other thing I'm wondering is how come the suggestion to take it to a proper transmission shop hasn't been made?

Lots of speculation here but nothing definitive....so uh, why not take it to someone who can give you an answer AND solution?

I'm serious. Even an old dawg like me who's done just about every conceivable dang thing to a car possible, still knows when he's licked. And automatic transmissions are in that personal gray area. Especially these dang newer "sealed" ATs that you can't even check fluid levels on. Psh.

But that's just me...

Last edited by MicVelo; 01-30-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:00 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

because balla on a budget
Old 01-31-2017, 04:09 AM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

If it were me, the first thing i would do is go back to the shop and have them re-check the fluid level and have them show you. Also, ask them the condition of the old fluid. You should have changed the filter at the same time. I know they don't take as much fluid for a drain and fill but you would have got more out if you changed the filter. Ask them about your options for diagnosis you don't have to start with a full blown tear down. Start with the electronics etc.
Investigate and look for a good specialty shop - with a modern AT you are talking rocket science!

One question - is the thud more prevalent going into 3rd? Ok 2 questions, when cold does it hesitate 1 or 2 seconds going from park to first?

Finally, if you dont want to spend money and this only happens when cold why not let it warm first? After warm-up, with your foot on the brake go through all the gears a couple times, then go. Maybe problem solved?
AND DON'T DOWN GEAR IN MANUAL MODE - it's for healthy trannys.

Good luck
Old 04-04-2017, 04:55 PM
Darthnismo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aqe040466
Does it happen only when the engine is cold? Does it have any codes? CEL,? It could be a transmission solenoid.
It happens more frequently when it's cold for like 10 minutes it's not in every gear. it's in random gear and happens intermittently. I've changed the tranny fluid. and cleaned the transmission filter. I've check for codes with Consult and there were no codes stored.