Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

New Owner. Need help. Bought my Z in December 2016

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Darthnismo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Owner. Need help. Bought my Z in December 2016

Hey guys first want to apologize if I'm posting this is the wrong section. I'm new to forums. Also I was able to get my hands on my Z for the low. I'm having and issue with my Z transmission. I've done my research on my problem and haven't helped or wasn't able to find it. I have a 2004 350z Touring 5MT. I want to know if it is normal for the transmission to have a hard shift in the morning from a cold start. When I use the "manual mode" it does it as well. Some people have told me that I may need a transmission fluid service. But I have 177,xxx miles and don't know if the transmission has ever been service before and I don't want my transmission to be slipping. Any help would be greatly appreciated and again sorry for posting this in the wrong section and for making this a long thread.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:29 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

first thing i always do when i buy a car is change all the fluids. you bought a 13 year old car with high miles, the fluid needs to be changed at minimum....
Old 01-19-2017, 03:38 AM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts
Default 5AT

Originally Posted by Darthnismo
Hey guys first want to apologize if I'm posting this is the wrong section. I'm new to forums. Also I was able to get my hands on my Z for the low. I'm having and issue with my Z transmission. I've done my research on my problem and haven't helped or wasn't able to find it. I have a 2004 350z Touring 5MT. I want to know if it is normal for the transmission to have a hard shift in the morning from a cold start. When I use the "manual mode" it does it as well. Some people have told me that I may need a transmission fluid service. But I have 177,xxx miles and don't know if the transmission has ever been service before and I don't want my transmission to be slipping. Any help would be greatly appreciated and again sorry for posting this in the wrong section and for making this a long thread.
Have the fluid checked for levels first, they can tell you if it's burnt.
The following users liked this post:
Darthnismo (01-30-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 07:11 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

While I agree with travlee and carbuffguy, I'd say go ahead and change it anyways. Not going to hurt other than the cost of the change. And do that along with all the other fluids in the car.

Since it's new-to-you with unknown service intervals, it's always good to baseline the car with fresh fluids at least. That way you know going forward exactly when/where and what was put into the car and remove a few "unknowns". Then you can start your service interval clock from that point.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:16 PM
Darthnismo

Originally Posted by MicVelo
While I agree with travlee and carbuffguy, I'd say go ahead and change it anyways. Not going to hurt other than the cost of the change. And do that along with all the other fluids in the car.

Since it's new-to-you with unknown service intervals, it's always good to baseline the car with fresh fluids at least. That way you know going forward exactly when/where and what was put into the car and remove a few "unknowns". Then you can start your service interval clock from that point.

Very well. But due to the fact that I have 177,xxx miles if I change my fluid will it cause it to slip?
Old 01-21-2017, 01:40 PM
carbuffguy

ya it's a concern, that's why i'd have it inspected first. If it's not burnt and the level is good i might leave it for now. Do you have a cooler? If you change the fluid i'd add one they're cheap.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:54 PM
carbuffguy

just thought of something, the jury's out on a grounding kit but some AT guys swear by them for better shifts. I guess if you got some rust - theoretical they could help. Think they're only 100 buck or so, Stillen makes them
Old 01-21-2017, 06:07 PM
aqe040466

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2004 Nissan 350z Touring 5MT or 5AT, if its manual trans it should be 6MT.
Change the ATF but only use Nissan Matic J ATF and also change the ATF filter.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:52 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
just thought of something, the jury's out on a grounding kit but some AT guys swear by them for better shifts. I guess if you got some rust - theoretical they could help. Think they're only 100 buck or so, Stillen makes them
BS. Spend the money on fresh fluids, which actually have a benefit. Stillen, and others, sell all kinds of cr@p you don't need.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:44 AM
carbuffguy

haha I knew that would cause a stir. I don't want to get into snake oil merits. Investigate it yourself - I don't feel that strongly, one way or the other.

As far as the tranny cooler goes, If you change the fluid you should get one. That's science, a cooler AT is a better AT and there's some good products out there - not necessarily STILLEN
Old 01-22-2017, 04:13 AM
dcains

There already is a trans cooler built into the radiator. No need to upgrade, unless you're towing something (with a Z?) or taking it to the track. Just change the damn fluid and filter and get on with your life.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:12 AM
carbuffguy

I agree 100% on changing the fluids and a coolant change can only help to keep the AT cooler also. (In traffic in Miami cooler is better. Re. the additional cooler, needed no - but for 2 hours work and 150 bucks you have longevity insurance)
On the AT fluid change I will respectfully disagree...it's a different animal and you're correct to proceed with caution. It's not unheard of for it to slip after a fluid change and at 177k if it does your car wont be worth much without spending some coin on it. It's just not something you want to cross your fingers and jump into without doing some homework.
However, If it's burnt you should change it and the filter.I believe the AT has a magnet in it but you can also buy a magnetic drain plug to pick up some stray metal. Don't do a tranny flush no matter how hard they push it.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:01 AM
dcains

Well, the "logic" there is that friction material has been lost from the clutch plates over time, and now that material is in the fluid. If you change the fluid, the friction material goes with it, and now you've got clutches that are slipping. Whether or not that's true, I just couldn't say, although I've never seen it in 45+ years of wrenching on cars. What I have seen, with regard to the hard shifting mentioned by the OP, is a lot of crud and clogs in the valve body, which can often be remedied with a fluid and filter change. Impossible to diagnose a problem 100% from such a distance, but that's still my best guess, and there are no guarantees of any kind on a car with that sort of mileage. If a fluid change causes some mild slipping, throw in a bottle of the Lucas Transmission Fix, and hope for the best.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:37 PM
aqe040466

If you already changed the ATF and Filter and the problem still exists. Time to rebuilt the transmission.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:46 PM
Darthnismo

Well I changed the fluid. Which was a drain and fill. I used Nissan Matic J fluid 4 quarts. the car hasn't slipped but its still doing the same thing. I haven't changed the AT filter. I checked with the Consult (Nissan OBDII) and there are no codes for the transmission. any other ideas what it could be?
Old 01-30-2017, 04:32 PM
aqe040466

Well I changed the fluid. Which was a drain and fill. I used Nissan Matic J fluid 4 quarts. the car hasn't slipped but its still doing the same thing. I haven't changed the AT filter. I checked with the Consult (Nissan OBDII) and there are no codes for the transmission. any other ideas what it could be?
Can you explain or elaborate what is hard shifting.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:39 PM
Darthnismo

Originally Posted by aqe040466
Can you explain or elaborate what is hard shifting.
when driving and the car shifts I hear and feel a thud noise when shifting. doesn't happen all the time. also does it when I use manual mode
Old 01-30-2017, 04:42 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I thought the automatic used more than 4 quarts... Like a lot more. Although I never really cared because I don't have one.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:44 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

when driving and the car shifts I hear and feel a thud noise when shifting. doesn't happen all the time. also does it when I use manual mode
How is your transmission mount? Probably barely hanging on.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:48 PM
aqe040466

Does it happen only when the engine is cold? Does it have any codes? CEL,? It could be a transmission solenoid.