Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Proud owner of a burnt orange 2005 350z

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Desonance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proud owner of a burnt orange 2005 350z

Hello z family! I am a new proud owner of a burnt orange 2005 350z. Quick question for all of you guys though... This is my first manual car, but I still know enough to not shift into first while moving because reasons. That being said, when you come to a NEAR stop (like we all do with every stop sign) how should I consider my options? Lately I've just been coming to a complete stop and shifting into first, but I've tried slowing down and riding the clutch a bit in 2nd to get going. Once I've also attempted down shifting into first while coming to a stop and she did not like that. What do you guys typically do?

Old 03-12-2017, 05:33 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

The more you slip the clutch, the sooner it will wear out. The more you ride the clutch and have pressure on the release bearing, the sooner it will wear out.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:15 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I downshift through all gears, stop at sign... Already in first... And go.

If your practicing the California roll then maybe keep it in second. But I wouldn't make that a habit.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:32 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
I downshift through all gears, stop at sign... Already in first... And go.

If your practicing the California roll then maybe keep it in second. But I wouldn't make that a habit.
Who said anything about sushi?

I'm in first before stopping. If you can get it into first without any complaints from the drivetrain, there's nothing that says you shouldn't, rolling to a stop from 5mph.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:45 AM
stickchopper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Who said anything about sushi?

I'm in first before stopping. If you can get it into first without any complaints from the drivetrain, there's nothing that says you shouldn't, rolling to a stop from 5mph.
exactly. you can "experiment" and find out when ( rpm or speed) it likes to go to first.

Let me say this tho... I don't understand guys who beat on their car, hard shifts, fast accellertations, during in town driving with stoplights and stop signs. Maybe it's fun for them, but personally I save that for out of town mountain drives or a track day.

Here's an option, if you've downshifted to 2nd on the way to a stop sign, you can go to neutral as you get closer and slower. It will go to 1st when it wants to. Just be aware of the feel...
Old 03-14-2017, 02:49 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Shift into neutral and use your brakes. Brake jobs are cheaper than clutch jobs.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:42 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The 350z has a synchromesh on 1st gear, but you need to almost be stopped to go into first while still rolling. Slow the car by shifting into 2nd, and go to first gear once you are stopped.

And Zak makes a good point: Using your brakes costs less for replacement than clutch replacement by downshifting to slow the car.

But then again... The reason we buy a manual transmission is so we can downshift (which is really fun).
Old 03-15-2017, 07:10 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey Desonance welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. If my Z is still moving then I stay in second until i come to a stop and then it goes into first. The engine has plenty of torque to drive away in second if you're still moving and you won't need to ride the clutch either.