Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

is the nismo that much better

Old 11-15-2011, 07:58 AM
deeno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've learned so much from this post. Thank you.
Originally Posted by EvilCrayon
In my experience... most people who look at the Nismo don't see very much more than a 350Z but once anybody sits in it, they begin to feel a big difference. It can best be described as a grown up's sport car. There is no need to constantly be bouncing around redline, instead using the torque to push out of the turns. It is comfortable, stable, and predictable which to me is more important than outright cornering speed. Sure, I could go around doing burnouts and donuts in my Nismo but that's not what it is for. It is the ideal car for hill climbs and cruising in the mountains

Having grown up driving a multitude of cars, whether they're stock or modified, the suspension on the Nismo is perfectly poised and my benchmark when comparing to other cars. Many people seem to think that you can just slap on a set of coilovers and instantly drive faster around a corner. Nissan does an extraordinary amount of research to find the optimum spring rates and valving to ensure neutral handling and proper use of the 53:47 weight distribution. Imagine the amount of work that goes into the S-Tune suspension and creating a suspension system that handles literally like it's on rails(no body roll, no jolting, anything but a major pothole is perfectly dampened) with no sacrifice in comfort. If I recall correctly, the spring rates on the Nismo S-Tunes are the same as the 350Z track edition from the first year(Over the years, Nissan softened the spring rates in search of comfort).

The addition of the mass dampers have a huge effect on not only comfort but road handling. You will find that the only other car that can even be equipped with these products are the Impreza STI Spec C. I have had an opportunity to come upon a second set and did a comparison of my friend's 350z before and after and there's a noticeable improvement on the car's stability on corner entry and corner exit. If I could install a set on my girlfriend's Toyota Starlet, I would do so in a heartbeat but the suspension geometry must be "perfect" in order for the mass dampers to work correctly.

So when Nismo/Autech put their best foot forward into the Nismo 350z, you know exactly how much effort was put into developing the car as a whole package. Autech even seam-welded the frame by hand which is an extremely time consuming as well as costly process. I've never heard of another car that has this done from the factory.

Mechanically, the engine in the Nismo is the same as any HR engine but it does sound nicer with the Nismo/Weldina/HKS(I've heard too many names for it now) muffler. The dual throttle body intakes can be upgraded to the Nismo units which improve engine response and hp/tq figures as well. I can't remember where I read some dyno sheets but an additional 10-15hp and 10-15tq was gained with no other additions. To be honest, the VQ35HR makes more than 300hp which is more than enough for any driver to have FUN. No, you will not beat that punk high schooler in his STI Stage 69 but come on, how old are you to be still doing this.

Bottom line: If you want to modify your car to your own personal choice, get a normal 06-08 350Z but if you want to spend a little more for a more refined package at the loss of "modifying your car", go for the Nismo. Modifying a Nismo edition is a waste in my opinion, it should be enjoyed for what it is, a street car that can also be tracked. The only additions I bothered with for track day use were more track-oriented brakepads.

I've driven my friend's Corolla GTS with coilovers and all sorts of goodies but it is nowhere near the Nismo in terms of comfort and predictability. For example, although he has no problem keeping up with my Nismo, he spins out more often in particularly rough sections because his car will hop and the balance is thrown off. In contrast, the Nismo will happily absorb the rough patches with no change in the car's handling and I can usually control my car from apex to corner exit using just the throttle to rotate the car.

I hope this post helps throw some light on why the Nismo edition is such a special car.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:37 AM
EvilCrayon

Originally Posted by jerseystyle
^^^^Awesome!

Pretty cool corolla, looks like it needs some TLC!
Just about every ae86 I've seen needs a bit of cleaning However, I think I have been blessed to live in the Bay Area because there's a large amount of Japanese car enthusiasts. For example, in my hometown I will often see an elderly white male drive an extremely clean stock Integra Type R as a daily. Just driving around the other night, I ran into a group of more than 7 or so AE86s that were all VERY clean. I'm talking perfect paint with nice tasteful wheels and more than a few engine swaps

My Nismo generally stays at my parent's now that I live in San Francisco. I had a garage last year and it only took one scratch from my neighbor's license plate for me to never drive it around in the city again. My dad drives it once a week back and forth to his office(~30 minutes each way, all highway). My philosophy when owning a car is not to beat it up or baby it but to USE IT. However, I've always had multiple cars so now I mostly drive my girlfriend's Toyota Starlet KP61 I have yet to find a car that can keep up going downhill, especially on technical sections with ridiculously banked S turns. The only problem I have had yet is that going uphill, all the gas sloshes to the back and so I have to carry a jerry can around whenever I drive in the mountains.
is the nismo that much better-donvv.jpg

Anyway, YAY NISMO
Old 11-15-2011, 12:54 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^Now that's clean! Very nice!
Old 04-24-2015, 08:38 PM
sag

no way the body dampers do anything except reduce nvh. no way. i also dunno what the other guy was talking about but it understeers like a pig but thats easy to fix and of course itd do it with the big stagger stance from the factory wheels
Old 04-25-2015, 04:57 AM
kno

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

If I were to buy a z now I would get the nismo. After that just engine mods
Old 04-27-2015, 04:44 AM
clubhopper

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I read the nismo 350z spring rates are drastically different than other 350z's.

Front spring rates are the same as other revised suspension 350z's after 2006. Rear spring rates are much much stiffer similar to the now discontinued Nissan Motorsport USA T2 springs but without the drop.

Also I think if I originally bought a Nismo the 'collector' factor and its stock abilities alone would've kept me from modding it too much. I would have saved a pile of money actually even though the initial investment was more for the nismo versus the regular 350z grand touring. I think at the time the price difference was around $15,000.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:45 AM
67ZNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what the Nismo's are going for now (even the 370 Nismo's) I'd pick one up. I bought my Z when the Nismo was first introduced but I wasn't about to drop $42-45k. A lot of new owners now are getting theirs used for $20-25k. One of my buddies got theirs below $20k w/low mileage!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:57 PM
sickZ31/Z33

Originally Posted by 67ZNISMO
For what the Nismo's are going for now (even the 370 Nismo's) I'd pick one up. I bought my Z when the Nismo was first introduced but I wasn't about to drop $42-45k. A lot of new owners now are getting theirs used for $20-25k. One of my buddies got theirs below $20k w/low mileage!
YES. Right now is the perfect time to buy a NISMO. Depending on the color and mileage, they are going for $20-25k, at least here in So Cal. Although the EXTREMELY clean ones (very low to almost no miles, PPW or Nogaro Red) are going for almost $30k, which is still a good deal IMO for a basically new NISMO. Anyway I don't see them going any lower, maybe a couple grand less for high mileage ones.
So if someone is looking for one get it now. Remember that they made 350Z NISMOs for only 2 years compared to the 370Z NISMOs that they've been making every year since they came out back in 2009 (not putting down the 370Z NISMO in any way, I would love to have a 2014 370Z NISMO). Just saying the rarity of a 350Z NISMO is greater than a 370Z NISMO .
Old 04-29-2015, 03:13 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Worth it back in 07 for all my monies and still taking my monies today

Rarity without the reset numbering of the Z34 Nismo's

Pays full homage instead of riding the Nismo's name for extra sale factor

Worth

Werf

Wurf
Old 04-30-2015, 05:12 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

When I got my Niz, I wasn't looking for one (well, I'm always looking for interesting things to buy but a Nismo 350Z was just ONE of the things I prowl the ads for).

Someone above said something along the lines of it being a "mature" or "gentleman's/gentlewoman's" car for the Z enthusiast. (Yeah, being liberal with the wording.) All too true. I frankly don't really care about the attention grabbing aero but the stock performance and "semi-exclusivity" of it made it a temptation I couldn't resist.

But is it better than an Enthusiast or GT or....<name your trim>? Well, I have mixed feelings about that which I elucidated about here comparing it to my '03 Enthusiast. <===Link, not ad.

"Better" is relative. I know that I love it the more I drive it and that's all that matters. It is as much car as the much higher priced, higher mileage Porsches and Bimmers I've looked at over the last few years for "recreation" and it's at a dollar point that there aren't many new cars I'd rather have in the price range.

As far as rarity, well, I rarely see Z-cars. Period. 350 Nismo - haven't seen ONE since I bought mine two months ago. And I think I've seen two Z34Ns in the last year. One is my wife's, the other, pure happenstance.

Mic

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-30-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:41 AM
Chitown350Nismo

Default My Nismo

I got my 2008 Nismo from Autobarn of Evanston last year... 40K mileage, #1495 and it was $20,500.... couldn't pass it up and I love it for my DD from April - November...
Old 10-24-2015, 03:05 PM
EvilCrayon

Originally Posted by sag
no way the body dampers do anything except reduce nvh. no way. i also dunno what the other guy was talking about but it understeers like a pig but thats easy to fix and of course itd do it with the big stagger stance from the factory wheels
Have you had the opportunity to try a 350z with and without the Autech Dampers? It does make a difference in how stable the car feels on corner exit and entry. Maybe a robot would be unable to improve as it doesn't offer any more mechanical grip but it's possible that a driver who is more confident in his rear wheel grip can gain more corner exit speed.

I think the 350z in general is prone to understeer but I think that has more to do with driver inputs and tire choice than the actual car. If you are progressive & smooth with your steering inputs, understeer is not an issue. The car is heavy so it is important to manage weight transfer. It does take me a moment to acclimate to the steering after driving much lighter cars such as MR2's and Miatas. Those cars you can throw around and if they lose traction, it doesn't take very long to regain it. However with the 350z and heavier cars such as Mustangs, there is a longer span of time between losing grip and regaining it; this allows for more driver input and consequently, incorrect driver input.

I still own my Nismo and even though I rarely drive it, I still have no problem outrunning Miatas with RS3s downhill. I am running 255f & 275r Dunlop Z2 and still outrunning every other car I've encountered with the exception of a few of my friends who have fully built S2000s and RX7s
Old 10-24-2015, 10:08 PM
roplusbee

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KingBaby
Worth it back in 07 for all my monies and still taking my monies today

Rarity without the reset numbering of the Z34 Nismo's

Pays full homage instead of riding the Nismo's name for extra sale factor

Worth

Werf

Wurf
Hopefully I feel the same way once I make the switch to NISMO 350z. My NISMO 370z was the money. Stock it was great, but boosted it was the awesome!
Old 10-27-2015, 09:51 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilCrayon

I think the 350z in general is prone to understeer but I think that has more to do with driver inputs and tire choice than the actual car. If you are progressive & smooth with your steering inputs, understeer is not an issue. The car is heavy so it is important to manage weight transfer. It does take me a moment to acclimate to the steering after driving much lighter cars such as MR2's and Miatas. Those cars you can throw around and if they lose traction, it doesn't take very long to regain it. However with the 350z and heavier cars such as Mustangs, there is a longer span of time between losing grip and regaining it; this allows for more driver input and consequently, incorrect driver input.
Absolutely the truth.

In my early comparison between my DE and HR-Niz, I'm pretty sure I made a note about the different driving style required between the cars to get maximum cornering performance and exit speed - mostly due to the differing torque curves and power delivery between them.

I found that the old "left foot brake to set the chassis" reduced understeer to almost nothing by putting weight, and therefore, grip, back on the front tires before they let go to switch the car from under to just short of oversteer.

Sure, I could stiffen up the rear roll stiffness to achieve the same with a set of adjustable bars but... NO MODS for this car. This is a driver's car out of the box.

Mic
Old 01-02-2016, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:44 AM
DeusExMaxima

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

And its even funner in convertible form!!!

Name:  20150624_215815-1-1_zpstyshblu4.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  207.5 KB
Old 02-04-2016, 09:39 AM
bb17

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned two separate 2007 350Z's, One is a touring and the other a Nismo. The Nismo is definitely a much different car. All the suspension bits make it a much better autocross/track platform. There is almost no body roll, and the stock Nismo wheels can accommodate sticky 275 F / 305 R tires. The Nismo is two classes more competitive in autocross (AS vs CS) and in my experience is about 3 seconds faster around 50 second course. In my last autocross event I beat a new Camaro Z28 and a pair of Shelby GT350R's. There is a little bit of understeer due to the staggered wheel setup, but you can adjust for that by breaking a little more into a turn and then applying more throttle on the exit to induce a little rotation. Works great. It is a great car for transitional maneuvers. Regular 350Z wouldn't come close.

Last edited by bb17; 02-04-2016 at 09:43 AM.