Notices
NISMO 370Z The Limited Edition Best Handling 370Z Ever.

Drove a 370 Nismo yesterday

Old 04-12-2010, 04:38 AM
bomber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
babying a car at 4k miles? really?

driving a car hard isn't abuse. abuse is not changing the oil, forcefully over-reving the engine, rev limiter with no load on the engine, rev limiter burnouts, etc.

There is a rev limit on the car and cars are built that anything below that is safe. If it wasn't safe for the engine then they would lower the rev limiter...plain and simple.

I'm new to cars and just finished my built engine and all that jazz but i've been building race bike engines (dirt and sport). When i get them all buttoned up i fire up the engine, let it get to operating temperature, give it a run or 2 up and back in the pits to make sure everything sounds normal then i had it to my racer and tell them 2 mild laps then give it hell. My racers make it to nationals every year with engines i build so i'll continue to do it that way.
I'm not a kid so you don't have to respond to me like I am one. Seek first to understand then to be understood. The 4K comment was in response to another post. The "i would have taken it a little easier" comment was about how fast he was driving.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:41 AM
bomber

Originally Posted by widebody350
It has zero performance over a base 370Z. Anyone spending around 50 grand on a Nismo 370 seriously needs to take a look at the market. Used E92 M3s, C63s, C6 Z06, S4s, under warranty and a host of other older cars like the Porsche 996 Turbo, out of warranty that would easily hand the Nismo 370/370Z its *ss.

Do the 370 Nismos address the base the 370Z's need for an oil cooler and larger fuel pump if driving the car hard or tracking it?

I got what you guys are saying and I'm definitely not in a position to plunk that level of coin down, but some folks are buying because of style as well as performance.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:41 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bomber
I'm not a kid so you don't have to respond to me like I am one. Seek first to understand then to be understood. The 4K comment was in response to another post. The "i would have taken it a little easier" comment was about how fast he was driving.
I'm sorry if you took my post as speaking to you like a you were a kid. That wasn't my intention nor do I think the post sounded like that.

The post was just explaining that as much as the "accepted" view from non-mechanics is to baby a vehicle truth be told that isn't the accepted way for all the performance engines or people that build them. nothing more, nothing less.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:17 AM
bomber

I'm sorry if you took my post as speaking to you like a you were a kid. That wasn't my intention nor do I think the post sounded like that.

The post was just explaining that as much as the "accepted" view from non-mechanics is to baby a vehicle truth be told that isn't the accepted way for all the performance engines or people that build them. nothing more, nothing less.
Cool thx for explaining. As a point of reference, the break in advise was also prevalent when I raced 2 stroke 4 wheelers. I never did, I road them how they were going to be ridden. The same is true in my current line of work (NFA Firearms Manufacturer). I shoot my guns hard right from the start.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After rebuilding a dirt bike or sled or something i have always started it up, rode it easy for about 5 mns then give it hell...ride it how it is gonna be ridden from the start..I would do the same in my car and have seen cars be built and straight to the dyno and straight to the track after that and then these cars have held up for miles and miles..If things are done right it will be just fine...

I mean have common sense to start it and let the fluids circulate first and do a little check of everything of course...
Old 04-13-2010, 12:59 PM
ChuckD05

You guys are way off base on the price tag...

Nissan is letting these go for just over invoice if you look around and know your stuff..

over on the 370z site guys are getting nismos for 36ish+tax similar for 40th anniversary too some have even claimed under 35,000. Base with Sport you can get for just over 32k otd and that is prob the best value option.

My base I got with plans of upgrading almost all of the car including the LSD, for 28,600 + tax brand new ... Cant beat that either..

If you are paying 50k OTD you are getting reamed in the rear end by your dealer

the one down side on these Zs is the base radio ( non bose ) is pretty terrible.. so if you are a big stereo guy and not into aftermarket stuff , look at the touring model...

Last edited by ChuckD05; 04-13-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:14 PM
temoku

Nismo has zero performance increase over base 370? +20hp isn't exactly zero. nismo has same lsd as any other 370
Old 04-13-2010, 01:43 PM
widebody350

Originally Posted by temoku
Nismo has zero performance increase over base 370? +20hp isn't exactly zero. nismo has same lsd as any other 370
Zero performance. I don't care about what HP Nissan decides to publish. I've read this from a few other magazines as well but this is the first google result to pop up, and it says the same thing, the Nismo doesn't perform any better than a regular 370Z. In fact they report that the Nismo has worse braking stats, accelerates the same, and handles the same but scarier, with WOT decibel level being louder than the regular 370Z.

Go ahead pay more for the Nismo, get worse braking, same acceleration, scarier handling, and louder ride, but you do get a nice shiny plaque with a number on it lol.

Both cars in the test were outfitted with after market oil coolers so the cars didn't die either.
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...z-touring.html
Old 04-13-2010, 02:10 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by widebody350
Zero performance. I don't care about what HP Nissan decides to publish. I've read this from a few other magazines as well but this is the first google result to pop up, and it says the same thing, the Nismo doesn't perform any better than a regular 370Z. In fact they report that the Nismo has worse braking stats, accelerates the same, and handles the same but scarier, with WOT decibel level being louder than the regular 370Z.

Go ahead pay more for the Nismo, get worse braking, same acceleration, scarier handling, and louder ride, but you do get a nice shiny plaque with a number on it lol.

Both cars in the test were outfitted with after market oil coolers so the cars didn't die either.
I've driven and ridden in a 370Z on a track (Laguna Seca Raceway) and ridden in a NISMO on the same track on the same day - the NISMO was clearly faster in brute acceleration. The blog shows data from two different days that are like a year apart - they can not be compared. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the NISMO is worth it given the lack of an OC and the standard LSD; but it is faster (at least at higher speeds), looks better (objective), and has a great wheel package that can handle larger tires than the standard / Sport 370. For an all out $35k track car, however, I'd get a base 370 and modify it. For an all out $15k track car, I'd run a 350 (oh wait, I already do that!)
Old 04-13-2010, 04:37 PM
binder

hmm, so the suspension upgrades and higher lateral skidpad aren't increases in performance?

wow, i'm way off then
Old 04-13-2010, 05:14 PM
widebody350

hmm, so the suspension upgrades and higher lateral skidpad aren't increases in performance?

wow, i'm way off then
Just off I suppose.

Vehicle: 2009 Nissan Nismo 370Z
Specifications:
Drive Type: Rear-wheel drive
Transmission Type: 6-speed manual
Engine Type: V6
Displacement (cc/cu-in): 3,696cc (226 cu-in)
Redline (rpm): 7,500
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 350 @ 7,400
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 276 @ 5,200
Brake Type (front): Ventilated disc
Brake Type (rear): Ventilated disc
Steering System: Speed-proportional power steering
Suspension Type (front): Double-wishbone
Suspension Type (rear): Multilink
Tire Size (front): 245/40R19
Tire Size (rear): 285/35R19
Tire Brand: Yokohama
Tire Model: Advan Sport
Tire Type: Summer performance
Wheel Size: 19-by-9.5-inches front; 19-by-10.5-inches rear
Wheel Material (front/rear): Alloy
As tested Curb Weight (lb): 3,356
Test Results:
0 - 30 (sec): 2.1
0 - 45 (sec): 3.6
0 - 60 (sec): 5.3
0 - 75 (sec): 7.7
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 13.6 @ 103.2
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 5.1
30 - 0 (ft): 28
60 - 0 (ft): 115
Braking Rating: Poor
Slalom (mph): 70.4
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.91
Handling Rating: Very Good
Db @ Idle: 47.1
Db @ Full Throttle: 84.8
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 72.9

Vehicle: 2009 Nissan 370Z
Specifications:
Drive Type: Rear-wheel drive
Transmission Type: 6-speed manual
Engine Type: V6
Displacement (cc / cu-in): 3,969cc (226 cu-in)
Redline (rpm): 7,500
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 332 @ 7,000
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 270 @ 5,200
Brake Type (front): Ventilated disc
Brake Type (rear): Ventilated disc
Steering System: Speed-proportional power steering
Suspension Type (front): Double-wishbone
Suspension Type (rear): Multilink
Tire Size (front): 245/40R19
Tire Size (rear): 275/35R19
Tire Brand: Bridgestone
Tire Model: Potenza RE050A
Tire Type: Summer performance
Wheel Size: 19-by-9.0-inches front; 19-by-10-inches rear
Wheel Material (front/rear): Alloy
As tested Curb Weight (lb): 3,374

Test Results:
0 - 30 (sec): 2.0
0 - 45 (sec): 3.5
0 - 60 (sec): 5.2
0 - 75 (sec): 7.6
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 13.5 @ 103.7
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 4.9
30 - 0 (ft): 26
60 - 0 (ft): 108
Braking Rating: Very Good
Slalom (mph): 72.0
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.94
Handling Rating: Very good
Db @ Idle: 49.2
Db @ Full Throttle: 82.7
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 70.3

It was a moderate day in terms of temperature for both tests, but both of the 370s had auxiliary engine oil coolers so all the track work wasn't much of a problem. Once the results started to come in, however, the Nismo continually failed to deliver any better numbers than our standard car.--From the link in my previous post. Link again:

Scotts300, the blog had two 370s on that day, one a touring and one a Nismo. On that day they found out, like a few other sources I've read, that the Nismo is no better than a regular 370. Not to discount your personal experience, as it's probably more valuable than a few journalists who may not really know how to drive or drive the car, but this is just what I've read on more than one occasion.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:29 PM
binder

so 3 feet of braking distance changes the braking rating from "very good" to "very poor"?? that makes no sense.

so these comparisons are from teh same exact day and not a year apart like stated?

same tester too? because 20hp shouldnt yeild a slower 1/4 mile unless there is driver error. Especially if you tell me it's hte same car just one has 20hp more, there shouldn't be a loss of time in the 1/4 mile.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 PM
widebody350

so 3 feet of braking distance changes the braking rating from "very good" to "very poor"?? that makes no sense.

so these comparisons are from teh same exact day and not a year apart like stated?

same tester too? because 20hp shouldnt yeild a slower 1/4 mile unless there is driver error. Especially if you tell me it's hte same car just one has 20hp more, there shouldn't be a loss of time in the 1/4 mile.
Can you read? Click the link. Google some results if you don't believe me. I found a Car and Driver article ( http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ond_short_take ) where the Nismo only bests the standard 370 by .01g and runs a 0-60 time of 5.2 and through the quarter in 13.7(they said the car wasn't broken in), so whatever the reason in more than a few tests the Nismo doesn't do sh*t that the standard 370 can't do.

You go from trying to say the suspension/lateral grip is better, but when that isn't the case you try to argue the HP/acceleration. You're obviously trying to find something that the Nismo does better than the standard 370. When you find something it does better than the regular 370 besides making more interior noise, come back here and post the test results. Til then, I'm not going to argue as every test I've ever seen regarding the Nismo vs. 370, has the two performing at the same level.

EDIT- In being fair I found that the NISMO 370 is a whopping .026 seconds faster at Tsukuba. No I don't know the details just grabbed it from a 370 site ( http://www.*******.com/nissan-370z-g...carrera-s.html ) where a member there actually questions why Best Motoring uses the Nismo, when the 370 touring is faster. Another poster came and posted the Tsukuba times which I stole and placed here. So finally the Nismo wins something, even if only by .026 seconds, don't blink. I also found out that in a Road and Track test against the Cayman, a Nismo's brakes went out and it slammed into a wall, along with a couple other articles where the 370/Nismo 370 perform the same.

I'm done googling this car, but I'm glad to have found that I'm not the only Z fan, who is kind of upset/embarrassed by the Nismo's lack of ability. Nismo is to Nissan what M is to BMW, AMG is to Mercedes, SVT is to Ford, S to Audi, and none of the aforementioned release cars that perform at the same level as their base models. It's unfortunate that Nissan releases cars under this name, tarnishing the great Nismos like the late Skyline GTR editions that rocked the performance world.
Tsukuba
Nissan Nismo 370Z 1:06.643 Best Motoring
Nissan 370Z 1:06.669 Best Motoring

Last edited by widebody350; 04-13-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:08 AM
binder

I was just asking about that study since above it was stated they were a year apart. a simple "no" would have sufficed. I didn't have time to read the whole test because ive been stuck in the lab and have little free time this week.

i don't doubt that the nismo falls short, but it's just weird that essentially the "same" car with 20hp more is slower in straight line. That's just hard to wrap my brain around unless there are other variances such as driver error.

being on par as the 370z i can get, but how can you add more hp to a car and get worse acceleration. it just doesn't make sense.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:56 AM
temoku

lol this thread is ridiculous. To those who may be concerned: go out and drive a 370 nismo, and a 370. Until then you're really just talking out yur a**
Old 04-14-2010, 06:46 AM
binder

Originally Posted by temoku
lol this thread is ridiculous. To those who may be concerned: go out and drive a 370 nismo, and a 370. Until then you're really just talking out yur a**
not that deep to me.

truthfully by the time i'm ready for a new car it won't be a 370 so it really doesn't effect me.

i was just confused how you take the same car, add 20hp to it and lose acceleration.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

not that deep to me.

truthfully by the time i'm ready for a new car it won't be a 370 so it really doesn't effect me.

i was just confused how you take the same car, add 20hp to it and lose acceleration.
If you add significant weight to the car, or a little bit of weight to the rotating mass (rotors and wheels), or if you change the aero so that it is heavier from drag to be faster at higher speeds. The 1 minute lap times they tested it at don't really solve that for me, as I'm talking about car stability from 80mph and up. A big track, like Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca (where I drove them both), etc. - all close to SoCal, would be a better "proving" ground.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:15 AM
binder

Originally Posted by scotts300
If you add significant weight to the car, or a little bit of weight to the rotating mass (rotors and wheels), or if you change the aero so that it is heavier from drag to be faster at higher speeds. The 1 minute lap times they tested it at don't really solve that for me, as I'm talking about car stability from 80mph and up. A big track, like Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca (where I drove them both), etc. - all close to SoCal, would be a better "proving" ground.
ya, but based on specs it shows nismo 30lbs lighter. and for a 1/4 mile i wouldn't see th aero really coming into too much affect slowing it down .2 of a second.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:02 PM
BladeZ34

He doesn't really need to break it in, hope he has an oil cooler Nismos don't come with one either, I broke mine in which I think helped but it's debatable
Old 04-14-2010, 05:26 PM
theDreamer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya, but based on specs it shows nismo 30lbs lighter. and for a 1/4 mile i wouldn't see th aero really coming into too much affect slowing it down .2 of a second.
Not sure where those numbers are from, but the Nismo is heavier than the base 370z (with sport). Now it is minor and probably not much of a difference, but the one major factor we have seen between the base (with sport) & the Nismo are the tires and that would be the cause of some of the sub-par numbers by the Nismo on the track in stock form.