Notices
NISMO 370Z The Limited Edition Best Handling 370Z Ever.

Drove a 370 Nismo yesterday

Old 04-11-2010, 04:44 AM
bomber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove a 370 Nismo yesterday

I currently have an 04.5 touring and have been wondering wondering about the performance difference with a 370. A casual friend of mone came by the shop the other day with a brand spanking new 370 Nismo and offered me a test drive.

I wish I hadn't. That car spanks mine all over the road. He drove us first and hammered it on some straights. Car pulled hard especially once you got over 4500 rpm. He went into one turn so hard, my life flashed in front of me but the 370 was on a rail.

I drove it but not nearly as hard as he did. Gotta love it. The fit and finish of the interior despite being cloth was much nicer than my touring. The tranny was much quieter to. A little later I had to do an errand and got into my car and it felt like a little sh$tbox in comparison. My beloved Z will never be the same
Old 04-11-2010, 05:11 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Too bad he's abusing the car so much so soon. Didn't he read the part in the manual about not going over 4000rpm or going full throttle in any gear for the first 1200 miles?

Next thing you know he'll be on the forum bitching and moaning about the engine going sour.

Last edited by winchman; 04-11-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:35 AM
Wu-Watt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a really cool experience but what else did you expect? Especially from a 370 NISMO!
I found that the interior in the 370 is 1,000,000x nicer. I really want to drive one. Did you happen to try the syncro rev option?
Old 04-11-2010, 05:50 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
Too bad he's abusing the car so much so soon. Didn't he read the part in the manual about not going over 4000rpm or going full throttle in any gear for the first 1200 miles?

Next thing you know he'll be on the forum bitching and moaning about the engine going sour.
There is a lot of debate on the break in period being BS.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:13 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well maybe you just better get yourself one of them 370Zs.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:21 AM
widebody350

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
There is a lot of debate on the break in period being BS.
Very true. A lot of people, especially in the performance world believe in beating the car a little to get the piston rings to seat better along with some other benefits that come from doing so. I'll see if I can't find the info.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

The 370 Nismo has posted the same lap times as stock 370Zs, but you get a cool plaque or some **** lol.

The 370 interior is definitely much improved over the 350Zs. Does it still squeak?

Last edited by widebody350; 04-11-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:56 AM
tylerxfire

ive seen cars built and straight to the dyno for high boost pulls...if the parts are right and done right then drive it like you stole it and break it in right...
Old 04-11-2010, 06:57 AM
bomber

Originally Posted by winchman

Car has 4K mi on it.....I still would be taking it a little easier.

I'm not sure why the mods moved this. It was for the benefit of 350z owners who wondered how their car compares. 370z owners already know .
Old 04-11-2010, 06:59 AM
bomber

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
Thats a really cool experience but what else did you expect? Especially from a 370 NISMO!
I found that the interior in the 370 is 1,000,000x nicer. I really want to drive one. Did you happen to try the syncro rev option?
Yea it did. It was a little unnerving at first to have the engine rev without touching the accelerator.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Wu-Watt

Originally Posted by bomber
Yea it did. It was a little unnerving at first to have the engine rev without touching the accelerator.
Ya I bet. Is the blurp of the throttle really easy to time with the shift? Is it aggressive at all? Like would it work well on the track?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by davidv
Well maybe you just better get yourself one of them 370Zs.
, sell yours or trade asap!!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:12 AM
mistanismo

Did this car even belong to your friend?

If not, it must be nice to play dangerously with things that don't belong to you?

Is your 04 stock? If so, I can understand the comparison being very, very different.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:55 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"....came by the shop the other day with a brand spanking new 370 Nismo..."

"Car has 4K mi on it....."

Sorry. To me, "brand spanking new" implies he stopped by on the way home from taking delivery.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:00 AM
BlowinGreen

I had the same experience man. it was with a 370z touring. i was in the showroom while i was getting my 350 tuned up. i told the salesman im not buying it about 5x and he still said well lets go for a ride. so i said what the hell. he fed me some line about he has to drive it so the customer knows what it can do. i thought i was gonna die on a corner. but the split second that the car slipped the tcs corrected it. i couldnt believe it. and youre right about the power...makes my 350 look like a honda.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Soundslikesight

Default Meh

Yeah had the same sorta thing happen. My little lady was buying a new cube to replace her stolen scion and whilst waiting much too long for the finance guy I had mr sales let me take a nismo 370 for a spin.

Fact of the matter is thy they did a much better job with the 370. Especially on the interior. The materials are leaps and bounds above the 350. And I personally feel that syncromatch is one of the coolest bits of auto wizardry ever. Thing is lighting quick and while it was definatly awkward at first I could see myself falling in love with it fast. I wouldn't say I was blown away by the difference in power between stock z's but with basic bolt ons it's obvious the 370 would be on a whole 'nother level.

It made me wish I had a 370 and talk bad about my gripes with the 350 but thats when my girl reminded me to look at the sticker price. A brand new nismo will put you back a cool 45k out the door. Frankly they are the best looking 370 but I would pick different suspension, exhaust, and ecu when modding a 370. Love the wheels and tires but the seats are meh and the performance over a stock 370 negligible. A 40th aniv. ( my choice because of the seats) almost 50+k. Maybe more considering tax ect.. **** a roadster had a (market markup) of almost 6k. Out the door your looking at almost 60 thousand dollars. Now I like the 370 just as much as any other z owner and will possibly buy one once enough of them have been sitting in garages for long enough to only rob me of around 20k, but when I have
50 or 60k to spend on a new car you will see something the likes of a slightly used rs4, m3, or 911.
Z's are nice, and the 370 even nicer. But you can get alot more car for that kind of money. Never understood why people buy new.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:37 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bomber
Car has 4K mi on it.....I still would be taking it a little easier.

I'm not sure why the mods moved this. It was for the benefit of 350z owners who wondered how their car compares. 370z owners already know .
babying a car at 4k miles? really?

driving a car hard isn't abuse. abuse is not changing the oil, forcefully over-reving the engine, rev limiter with no load on the engine, rev limiter burnouts, etc.

There is a rev limit on the car and cars are built that anything below that is safe. If it wasn't safe for the engine then they would lower the rev limiter...plain and simple.

I'm new to cars and just finished my built engine and all that jazz but i've been building race bike engines (dirt and sport). When i get them all buttoned up i fire up the engine, let it get to operating temperature, give it a run or 2 up and back in the pits to make sure everything sounds normal then i had it to my racer and tell them 2 mild laps then give it hell. My racers make it to nationals every year with engines i build so i'll continue to do it that way.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:48 AM
widebody350

Originally Posted by Soundslikesight
Yeah had the same sorta thing happen. My little lady was buying a new cube to replace her stolen scion and whilst waiting much too long for the finance guy I had mr sales let me take a nismo 370 for a spin.

Fact of the matter is thy they did a much better job with the 370. Especially on the interior. The materials are leaps and bounds above the 350. And I personally feel that syncromatch is one of the coolest bits of auto wizardry ever. Thing is lighting quick and while it was definatly awkward at first I could see myself falling in love with it fast. I wouldn't say I was blown away by the difference in power between stock z's but with basic bolt ons it's obvious the 370 would be on a whole 'nother level.

It made me wish I had a 370 and talk bad about my gripes with the 350 but thats when my girl reminded me to look at the sticker price. A brand new nismo will put you back a cool 45k out the door. Frankly they are the best looking 370 but I would pick different suspension, exhaust, and ecu when modding a 370. Love the wheels and tires but the seats are meh and the performance over a stock 370 negligible. A 40th aniv. ( my choice because of the seats) almost 50+k. Maybe more considering tax ect.. **** a roadster had a (market markup) of almost 6k. Out the door your looking at almost 60 thousand dollars. Now I like the 370 just as much as any other z owner and will possibly buy one once enough of them have been sitting in garages for long enough to only rob me of around 20k, but when I have
50 or 60k to spend on a new car you will see something the likes of a slightly used rs4, m3, or 911.
Z's are nice, and the 370 even nicer. But you can get alot more car for that kind of money. Never understood why people buy new.
It has zero performance over a base 370Z. Anyone spending around 50 grand on a Nismo 370 seriously needs to take a look at the market. Used E92 M3s, C63s, C6 Z06, S4s, under warranty and a host of other older cars like the Porsche 996 Turbo, out of warranty that would easily hand the Nismo 370/370Z its *ss.

Do the 370 Nismos address the base the 370Z's need for an oil cooler and larger fuel pump if driving the car hard or tracking it?

Last edited by widebody350; 04-11-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:17 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
Ya I bet. Is the blurp of the throttle really easy to time with the shift? Is it aggressive at all? Like would it work well on the track?
You don't have to time it, it's timed all on it's own. You simply downshift like you would normally without rev-matching. The only problem is that after a few hard laps on the track, the rev-match screws up, and turns off completely. I was expecting it to work so wasn't rev-matching on my own - it nearly spun me on the track.

Originally Posted by widebody350
It has zero performance over a base 370Z. Anyone spending around 50 grand on a Nismo 370 seriously needs to take a look at the market. Used E92 M3s, C63s, C6 Z06, S4s, under warranty and a host of other older cars like the Porsche 996 Turbo, out of warranty that would easily hand the Nismo 370/370Z its *ss.

Do the 370 Nismos address the base the 370Z's need for an oil cooler and larger fuel pump if driving the car hard or tracking it?
I agree that it's a high dollar for not much more, and sadly, they didn't address the oil cooler nor the fact that the stock LSD isn't upgraded. The local shop owner had to replace the stock LSD on their 370 after just a few track events. I will say, however, that the car is faster in the straights. On a long track, stock-to-stock with the same driver, the NISMO should be faster than any other 370 given more power, suspension, and aero. If it were my $, I'd buy a base and modify it.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:19 AM
duro78

Just think was the experience worth getting a car payment again. Dont think so
Old 04-12-2010, 04:33 AM
bomber

Originally Posted by mistanismo
Did this car even belong to your friend?

If not, it must be nice to play dangerously with things that don't belong to you?

Is your 04 stock? If so, I can understand the comparison being very, very different.
Yes it was his......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drove a 370 Nismo yesterday