Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

Nitrous Basics Thread, read here if you want nitrous for the first time....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ZLadie2000
Awesome post. So does this solve or improve traction problems due to nitrous at the track?

BIG TIME!
Old 09-22-2006, 12:55 PM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were to run factory tires with good tread left and installed the gear lock out switch with a 100 shot would I still spin out a lot in first and second? (i have an auto does this affect anything?) What about a 75 shot? If so...I better start looking for tires, because I don't want to have traction issues when I go to the track for the 1st time ever! Hoping to get nitrous installed by Audible in the next few months...
Old 09-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Originally Posted by ZLadie2000
If I were to run factory tires with good tread left and installed the gear lock out switch with a 100 shot would I still spin out a lot in first and second? (i have an auto does this affect anything?) What about a 75 shot? If so...I better start looking for tires, because I don't want to have traction issues when I go to the track for the 1st time ever! Hoping to get nitrous installed by Audible in the next few months...

If you have some tread left....you should be ok if you don't spray in 1st.

Not too sure how the Z's auto tranny holds up to nitrous. I know on my turbo accord waaaaay back in the early 90s, I had to put a stall converter in my automatic cuz I wrecked the stock torque converter. Sh*t sucked though after that....on the street, I wouldn't go anywhere until I hit 3k rpms...every stop sign, every light. Good at the track for 12 second passes though. The Z's auto tranny might take a 100 shot. I bet Jeremy or Sharif could chime in and answer that one for sure.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah the maximizer has the first gear lock out as well. i didnt know dynotune had that for that cheap though. thats great. thanks...

the gear lockout only works from a standstill though. it will work at higher rpms but it will think you are in first gear when you reset it. so if you reset it in 3rd gear then it wont spray until you shift to 4th.

the maximizer also allows progressive control so your tires will never break lose. you just slowly adjust the nitrous vs rpm to get it dialed in right.

i am a fan of running a 2 stage setup myself, no nitrous controllers, just slicks....
Old 09-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Originally Posted by Old School
If you have some tread left....you should be ok if you don't spray in 1st.

Not too sure how the Z's auto tranny holds up to nitrous. I know on my turbo accord waaaaay back in the early 90s, I had to put a stall converter in my automatic cuz I wrecked the stock torque converter. Sh*t sucked though after that....on the street, I wouldn't go anywhere until I hit 3k rpms...every stop sign, every light. Good at the track for 12 second passes though. The Z's auto tranny might take a 100 shot. I bet Jeremy or Sharif could chime in and answer that one for sure.

i had a 100 shot on my auto G35 sedan for a while. it was very fast and i would spray in first gear with slicks on it and it held up just fine, it is actually was much easier to use it on an automatic, much less to worry about and it was very smooth through all the shifts...
Old 09-22-2006, 08:42 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't get a maximizer or other controller. Of course, you can if you really want to, but it is a waste IMHO.

a 100 shot is awesome. use it in every gear. I use it walk the car out of the hole and then spray at the top of first. If you understand how nitrous works, you can use it safely.

You can spray at 2000 rpms in 1st or 2nd gear, but don't spray at low rpms in the higher gears. The reason being that you will shoot through the rpms very quickly in the low gears...thereby minimizing you risk of producing too much torque.

If you understand that nitrous is supposed to give an even increase in HP across the board, you also understand that torque rise decreases as the rpms rise.
EXAMPLE: you a using a 100 shot (rwhp). at 5252 rpms, that 100 shot is giving you an extra 100 ft-lb of toque too. But, as the rpms go up to 7000 rpms, your 100 ft-lbs has now diminished to only 75 ft-lbs. Conversely at 3000 rpms, you gain a whopping 175 extra ft-lb of torque. now, try spray you 100 shot at 2000 rpms!!! 262 extra ft-lbs of twist!!! down at 2000 rpms
any guesses at 1000 rpm????? Try an added 525 ft-lb!!! and these are rear wheel numbers I am giving (using a 52 nitrous jet)

You won't get that kind of insane torque from a turbo at low rpms!!! that is why people always warn not to engage the "juice" at too low of an rpm. USe your brain, not your *****!.....and you will have alot of fun with nitrous.....for a long time!
Old 10-01-2006, 07:10 PM
rico3682

The pins to tap on the ecu are as follows:

Pin 52 - TPS #1
Pin 60 - cylinder #1 (for RPM signal)
Old 10-07-2006, 11:50 PM
dTor

If I am only running the stock ignition, is it correct to say that my only option for window activation is an MSD or Zex window activation switch?

I wonder if emanage blue has any provision for this. I'll have to check it out.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

the utec does but the emanage blue doesnt...
Old 10-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Originally Posted by dTor
If I am only running the stock ignition, is it correct to say that my only option for window activation is an MSD or Zex window activation switch?

I wonder if emanage blue has any provision for this. I'll have to check it out.

If you're gonna get the Zex TPS/Window switch...check out dynotunenitrous.com. I believe Zex buys the window switch from them and slaps their name on it. Save yourself some money.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:31 PM
dTor

If you're gonna get the Zex TPS/Window switch...check out dynotunenitrous.com. I believe Zex buys the window switch from them and slaps their name on it. Save yourself some money.
Yeah, I saw that. Does dynotune make good products?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:35 AM
rico3682

My nitrous kit is NOS, but all my accesories are dynotune and I love them. My bottle heater, bottle blanket, brackets, switches, gauge, 2 in 1 tps and windowswitch. All dynotune and they are great.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:12 PM
jksstar

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rico3682
Great post. Only a few things I would add:

Spark Plugs

I recomend getting 1 step colder plugs for anything over a 75 shot. Platinum plugs should not be used, the best bet is NGK copper plugs one step colder than stock.
NGK part # LFR6A-11 (for those of you that don't like to search )

but what should you gap them at for say a 75-100 shot?
Old 10-22-2006, 11:36 PM
roro

i'm planning on getting the zex wet kit (55 shot) / utec combo and have a few questions...

1) should i upgrade the fuel system at all with the 55 shot?
2) is this the right fuel tap i should get to prevent leaks or does the zex kit come with one? (note: i don't want to have to cut the fuel line if possible)
3) i know i can use the UTEC as a 'window switch', but does it also have the capability of skipping 1st gear? if not, i want to get the dynotune switch but is there a way to disable the gear lockout when activating nitrous on the fly?
4) i'm a noob when it comes to engine management, but can maps be changed on the fly? example scenario... let's say i have 2 maps tuned on the UTEC -- N/A and nitrous. i'm driving on the highway, then decide i want to spray. can i switch from the N/A map to the nitrous map?
5) what A/F ratio should i be tuning to with nitrous?

thanks in advance.. this thread has been amazingly helpful

Last edited by roro; 10-23-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:44 AM
first350

Originally Posted by roro
i'm planning on getting the zex wet kit (55 shot) / utec combo and have a few questions...

1) should i upgrade the fuel system at all with the 55 shot?
2) is this the right fuel tap i should get to prevent leaks or does the zex kit come with one? (note: i don't want to have to cut the fuel line if possible)
3) i know i can use the UTEC as a 'window switch', but does it also have the capability of skipping 1st gear? if not, i want to get the dynotune switch but is there a way to disable the gear lockout when activating nitrous on the fly?
4) i'm a noob when it comes to engine management, but can maps be changed on the fly? example scenario... let's say i have 2 maps tuned on the UTEC -- N/A and nitrous. i'm driving on the highway, then decide i want to spray. can i switch from the N/A map to the nitrous map?
5) what A/F ratio should i be tuning to with nitrous?

thanks in advance.. this thread has been amazingly helpful

1) 55 shot will be really small...the general consensus is that a 75-100 shot is fairly safe ~ anything below that probably won't be worth it. Go above a 100 shot, and you're starting to get into the area of max'ing the fuel pump (but some ppl have run 150 shots on the stock fuel pump...)

2) there's a few differet fuel taps, search for it...I think AAM's fuel tap is a little more $ than others. (Your zex kit will come with a T fuel tap that requires your to cut the fuel line)

3) I'd assume Utec could do that, but Jeremy would know for sure.

4) Utec has a remote map selector. you load up to 4 or 5 different maps, and then have a wiring remote that you can select which one you want.

hope that helps,

Peter

Here's a list that I made before I bought all of my stuff w/ approx $ and websites:
https://my350z.com/forum/nitrous-oxide/200509-n2o-components-and-price-list.html

Last edited by first350; 10-23-2006 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:00 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

dynotune nitrous TPS/Window switch and I believe the maximizer are the only ones that have the ability to lock out 1st. UTEC does not.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:40 AM
first350

dynotune nitrous TPS/Window switch and I believe the maximizer are the only ones that have the ability to lock out 1st. UTEC does not.
*dynotune's tps/window switch kinda locks out 1 st gear. It works by locking out the 1st sweep through the rpm range...so if you're drag racing (starting in 1st gear), 1st gear would be locked out. But if you're into street racing or something like that, and don't start from 1st gear, the 1st sweep of the rpm range will be w/out nitrous...
Old 10-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Originally Posted by first350
*dynotune's tps/window switch kinda locks out 1 st gear. It works by locking out the 1st sweep through the rpm range...so if you're drag racing (starting in 1st gear), 1st gear would be locked out. But if you're into street racing or something like that, and don't start from 1st gear, the 1st sweep of the rpm range will be w/out nitrous...

yea, I covered that on page 1 or 2 I think. =P
Old 10-26-2006, 03:52 PM
roro

so with the remote map selector, it's safe to change maps on the fly with the UTEC?

can anyone post some more details on how to get the UTEC working as a TPS/window switch with the ZEX kit??
Old 11-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

yes you can change on the fly with no problems, rpms just have to drop under 1600 rpms...

Quick Reply: Nitrous Basics Thread, read here if you want nitrous for the first time....