Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

UPRev in MA // Passing inspection

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:47 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite 350z
I passed inspection the last 2 years with my UPRev tune (inspection done in June)

I get my inspection done at Mobil in Methuen on Haverhill St. That is where i go every year.
Where are you located? I'm right here in Lawrence (3 stall garage too)
Old 10-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Elite 350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Where are you located? I'm right here in Lawrence (3 stall garage too)
Im in Methuen. What yr/color is your Z?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:15 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ugh. I'm due in one day for a new inspection.

What are the chances I will pass. Uprev tuned and I swapped after last inspection to ART pipes and since have been burning oil as well.

Any chance I will pass? Which is more the issue the oil burning or ART pipes?

I have no codes, btw.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:58 AM
morphiusrt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rich2342

What are the chances I will pass. Uprev tuned and I swapped after last inspection to ART pipes and since have been burning oil as well.

I have no codes, btw.
From what it sounds like as long as you don't have a cel and the shop people aren't dicks then you should be fine.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:42 AM
rich2342

Angry Result --fail- emissions

Originally Posted by rich2342

I have no codes, btw.

OK, I went for inspection and failed, however it was supposedly because the computer wouldn't read i.e. "not ready" either due to art pipes or the tune???

I have to go to a MAC center. What now? How can I pass it?

I have Berk HFC's which i saved I can swap back on instead of ART pipes now? Or is it more an issue of the tune? I had passed previous years with Berks and exhaust/ Tune. Why now?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 AM
rich2342

digging deeper here,

I looked at the printout:
"not supported" in the OBD test monitor in a few results section and probably why it failed. Question is, Chicken or the Egg. Is it the CAT or the ECU?
Old 02-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Elite 350z

I passed the last 3 years and i have Uprev/Berks HFC. PMed you...
Old 02-28-2013, 03:42 PM
rich2342

Originally Posted by Elite 350z
I passed the last 3 years and i have Uprev/Berks HFC. PMed you...
This was my previous set up in which I passed. After my last inspection I swapped Berks for ART pipes and Retuned for this set up.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:08 AM
morphiusrt

Where in mass are you located? I can ask a few of my friends if they could pass it.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:21 AM
rich2342

Once you fail, you fail... I'm Flagged and in with the Registry after being scanned. Now have to take corrective actions..whatever those are, which im trying to figure out
Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 AM
rich2342

Does anyone know now what I am required to do to pass?

Do I have to go back to stock cats? or will HFC's suffice?

Do I also need to revert to stock tune?

What do I do about the MAC center? Do I make an appointment or just show up for inspection?

I need answers to the above to anyone with direct experience Thanks!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:12 PM
JohnnydVQ

From what I heard you just need some form of cat and you should be ok. What the issue is is the inspection machine can tell that you have changed the rom files, now with a VQ there really shouldn't be an issue, its more with the audi/vw guys that load tunes that modify the monitors to show ready when they are actually not, so they can run catless and because of their tune it everything shows ready to trick the inspection machine into thinking its fine. Here is a link to some info on the MAC process, hope this helps

http://www.vehicletest.state.ma.us/m...sions.html#mac
Old 03-05-2013, 12:40 PM
rich2342

I have HFC's which I can reinstall, however I don't think that will do it.

I pulled up prior inspection reports where I passed each one while tuned and had HFC/Exhaust.

All pretty much the same OBD Readings N/A in 3 or more fields. I believe it is cumulative. Since each year had the same result of OBD System not supported or ready I Finally got caught in the system on my 3rd try.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:41 AM
JohnnydVQ

Are monitors showing up not ready or n/a, some aren't used by the VQ, we have no erg valve, heated O2 sensor or heated catalyst. The inspection machine can tell the ecu files have been modified, UpRev uses a different rom id# than stock and that may be why you were kicked to mac. They don't want people skirting the emissions laws by changing the ECU monitors to show ready. I have the same as you (berks/exhaust) and the only issue I've had is it was too loud when I had my HKS rep lol.

Last edited by JohnnydVQ; 03-06-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:44 AM
=Cerberus=

Originally Posted by forza370z
People still going to DSG??? They bolt SPC toe bolts onto my Camber arms! They use other people's map on an e-manager to show my friend that his car boosted 50HP... If I have money, I'd go to Kaizen. Or Ballistic tuning in NH - best price and Scott knows his sh*t.
I would not recommend Kaizen, I know a lot of people who had a lot of bad experiences at that place.

DSG is going out of business, or has gone out of buisness, so luckily no more cars will be ruined there.

Along with Ballistic, I would recommend Granite State Dyno for any tuning needs. Alex tuned my car with uprev when it was NA, and then after I had my turbo installed. Great guys, and lots of knowledge.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:40 PM
rich2342

Originally Posted by JohnnydVQ
Are monitors showing up not ready or n/a, some aren't used by the VQ, we have no erg valve, heated O2 sensor or heated catalyst. The inspection machine can tell the ecu files have been modified, UpRev uses a different rom id# than stock and that may be why you were kicked to mac. They don't want people skirting the emissions laws by changing the ECU monitors to show ready. I have the same as you (berks/exhaust) and the only issue I've had is it was too loud when I had my HKS rep lol.

Well I have had a tune and hfc's for my 2010,11 and 2012 inspections and passed each. I swapped HFC for ART pipes and Retuned after 2012 inspection.

I'm guessing the cumulative effect of each year having issues with system availabity caused a flag in the system.

SO what now? revert to stock tune and Exhaust set up? Someone answer this for me. Seems Im the only one here that is having the issue.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:53 AM
JohnnydVQ

No it is the ecu files, when they scan the sticker on the door jamb it shows all the car's info including the proper ecu codes, that is what got you sent to mac the inspection machine knows its your car isn't using the proper files. I would just put some form of cat on and go, that is what they are going to be looking for. They are making sure you are NOT using the modified ECU files to trick monitors into reading ready. I have HFC and an exhaust too. It is not the monitors because you car was made after 2004 the inspection process will not allow you to pass if any of the monitors are not ready. Check this link it talks about the MAC inspection, it's a word doc just so you know.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.dmQ&cad=rja
Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 AM
morphiusrt

Correct me if I'm wrong.

What hes saying is because of the uprev tune it causes the computer to not throw codes. Similar to this Codescrubber. It tricks the computer into not displaying those codes or something.

I had this on my SRT4 and as long as the guy at the shop wasn't being a dick I would pass inspection. My friend that inspects cars said "what the hell do you have done to this, it has all N/A for the sensors" he said the only time you get readings like that is on older cars that don't have those sensors. But he passed me no problem.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:57 AM
rich2342

Originally Posted by JohnnydVQ
No it is the ecu files, when they scan the sticker on the door jamb it shows all the car's info including the proper ecu codes, that is what got you sent to mac the inspection machine knows its your car isn't using the proper files. I would just put some form of cat on and go, that is what they are going to be looking for. They are making sure you are NOT using the modified ECU files to trick monitors into reading ready. I have HFC and an exhaust too. It is not the monitors because you car was made after 2004 the inspection process will not allow you to pass if any of the monitors are not ready. Check this link it talks about the MAC inspection, it's a word doc just so you know.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.dmQ&cad=rja

The problem with this is, I have been modified and tuned since 2010. I passed each year except this one...

So the Rom had been changed well before. I looked back at my inspection reports(printouts) Each one the Same:

"Not Supported" for Cat Monitor, Catalyst Heater Monitor

Secondary Air System Monitor, A/C System Monitor and finally Exhaust Gas Recirculation monitor (EGR) all "Not Supported" each of the years I passed.

I was flagged only this year??? WHY?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM
JohnnydVQ

Originally Posted by morphiusrt
Correct me if I'm wrong.

What hes saying is because of the uprev tune it causes the computer to not throw codes. Similar to this Codescrubber. It tricks the computer into not displaying those codes or something.

I had this on my SRT4 and as long as the guy at the shop wasn't being a dick I would pass inspection. My friend that inspects cars said "what the hell do you have done to this, it has all N/A for the sensors" he said the only time you get readings like that is on older cars that don't have those sensors. But he passed me no problem.
Not exactly, an UpRev tune doesn't modify any of the monitors the VQ uses, but when it flashes the tune it uses new and different file # than stock, kinda like giving it a different serial # that the inspection machine can't recognize. Now what you are saying is why people with tunes are being flagged because the state knows that tuning is a way to skirt the emissions laws, but because we know UpRev doesn't do any of that you should be ok, as long as you have some form of cat, no codes and all the proper monitors are ready. I'll get a pic of my scan tool showing which IM monitors are necessary in our cars so you know how a stock ecu should read.

Quick Reply: UPRev in MA // Passing inspection