Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

NorCal Autocross

Old 11-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Shamu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What class does my stock 2007 roadster run on streets? Is there a street tire class?

What class has most z cars? I may just run with the crowd

On running mods not allowed in class. Dont run mods if the arent allowed. Dennis and Peggy have announced this at UFO events. If you dont like class you end up in just run fun class. Sort of defeats idea of classes. You also screwup Pax scores when you run mids not allowed.

Last edited by Shamu; 11-06-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:15 PM
ntrinsik

Oh I agree on the mods.

I think a stock 350Z is in CS. There isn't a street tire class outside of STR for the 350Z.. which UFO doesn't have this year as they're a year or two behind on the SCCA's rulebook. I see more Zs doing fun runs though than any specific class.

Last edited by ntrinsik; 11-06-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:26 PM
DivZero

Originally Posted by ntrinsik
UFO seems somewhat lax on their rules (Scott confirm me if I'm wrong?) and don't know if it'd pose an issue. For SCCA, it'd definitely be against the rules though (if someone was to protest).. I'm not sure if even the G35 Coupe springs would be allowed with the update/backdate rules. You can change shocks though for DS.
Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
^ The revised 350Z springs will bump you out of DS me thinks.
Yeah it looks like it will be against the rules. I overlooked some stuff in the rule book. I want to be fully SCCA legal. It says that ride height can change but no other suspension geometry changes are allowed. So I'm guessing the drop is considered a change in geometry if the camber changes out of stock figures. I'm thinking the stock alignment capability will not be able to correct camber to within stock figures if I use the 350z suspension. I am not allowed to add a camber kit (13.8D), so I'm stuck between two immovable stipulations. Lame sauce.

Also, what gear do you guys normally run the course in (if you have a mostly stock engine)? With my 6mt HR, I noticed I was only at 4500rpm at the end of the back straight at the last UFO event! I'm not sure if I would want to or not anyway, as I do a lot of freeway driving, but it is against the rules to change differential gearing.

2012 I go DSP if we don't all die.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:52 PM
ntrinsik

I'm typically in second the entire time. 4500RPM won't hurt your engine.

You could always run STX!
Old 11-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Shamu

Originally Posted by scotts300
Likely SM2, but I don't know the rules on FP. The OSP PAX is huge anyway! OSP is .862, and SM2 is .867. Maybe I'll clean 'er up to run in BSP! I see we have an FPL and an FS and FSP, but no FP (at least no one runs in it).
I'd run with you in FP with the Boxster since it is a FP car. I just run XP because no one else was running FP. Im outgunned in that class. My car only makes 185 WHP with that little 2480cc 6. While I'm lighter I just dont have power to compete with 400 HP AWD cars. Your Z is fair game in FP it may be a bit hefty but you have good torque and hp. How much does your car weigh? Are you close to maximum weight for that class? If we run FP pretty sure we might see Justin drop into that class however. I just received all fiberglass front fenders, bumper and big rear flares that will go on the car this winter. Should drop weight to about 1975 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails NorCal Autocross-normal_ufo7_run6_0220a.jpg   NorCal Autocross-fiber1.jpg  
Old 11-07-2010, 04:23 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali*Coast

Also, what gear do you guys normally run the course in (if you have a mostly stock engine)? With my 6mt HR, I noticed I was only at 4500rpm at the end of the back straight at the last UFO event! I'm not sure if I would want to or not anyway, as I do a lot of freeway driving, but it is against the rules to change differential gearing.

2012 I go DSP if we don't all die.
I run all 2nd gear 95% of the time. It is the perfect gear for the MT6. I have hit the rev-limiter in 2nd a few times, but we have enough torque even for slow turns to power out.

Originally Posted by ntrinsik
I'm typically in second the entire time. 4500RPM won't hurt your engine.

You could always run STX!

Originally Posted by Shamu
I'd run with you in FP with the Boxster since it is a FP car. I just run XP because no one else was running FP. Im outgunned in that class. My car only makes 185 WHP with that little 2480cc 6. While I'm lighter I just dont have power to compete with 400 HP AWD cars. Your Z is fair game in FP it may be a bit hefty but you have good torque and hp. How much does your car weigh? Are you close to maximum weight for that class? If we run FP pretty sure we might see Justin drop into that class however. I just received all fiberglass front fenders, bumper and big rear flares that will go on the car this winter. Should drop weight to about 1975 lbs.
The Z is about 3140 wet without driver. Our power:wt are nearly identical, with you having the slight edge. Should be a good year!

I was bummed I couldn't make it out today after all, as my travel plans got extended so I couldn't make it in time.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Shamu

Originally Posted by scotts300
The Z is about 3140 wet without driver. Our power:wt are nearly identical, with you having the slight edge. Should be a good year!

I was bummed I couldn't make it out today after all, as my travel plans got extended so I couldn't make it in time.
Probably too heavy to be competitive with fast prepared class cars, but you still can have fun. I think only way a Z could be competitive in prepared would be with Rebello built race motor in a stripped roadster without a windsheild, all fiberglass body panels etc. You could probably get down to the 2500lb FP class minimum and have a car that makes 400 HP.

UFO today. Rained all day for first 4 run groups - pretty sure it continued to rain after I left. EVOs and STI's ruled on the wet course. Nothing like a wet AX for my first time out in the 350Z. I was hanging tail out everywhere. I ran fun as to not upset long term CS drivers battling for class finish but I think I may have done well in that class. My second run I forgot to turn off traction control. That was terrible! Spun my last two runs. So my first run was my fastest. Next season of UFO starts January 1!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:47 AM
ntrinsik

It rained the hardest during the 4th run group. Just started pouring. I was just trying not to spin out so my best was a 70.xxx. IIRC, TTOD was set on the first or second run of the day when the course was still somewhat dry.

I'll try making the January 1 event.. may be tough. I also might be in a different car.. I'm heavily considering jumping to a Miata and running STS or STR.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Shamu

I left just as 4th group was starting and it didnt look pretty! Grip out there wasnt good for me from start of the first run group, but I I started mid grid. Josh was one of the first guys out so he may have got one damp as opposed to wet run in. Once that cement gets some moisture on it I dont think it matters how much is there. ...Did I mention how much I dispise EVO's and Sti's? They should be banned from AX when it rains. LOL! Those guys where on nearly full power out of the turns. Man if I tapped the Z's throttle slightly and rears just started to spin putting car sideways. I had one of my fastest runs on real wet course but I looped the dang car on one of the last turns when I just couldnt gauge how much throttle would spin me. With soft stock suspension I just couldnt feel when tires were starting to spin sometimes. Think I managed a 64.029 for my fastest run of the day. The car had a 63 or high 62 in it just tough to pull that off in the wet without spinning. I also just couldnt learn the car that quickly either and rain didnt help!

But man a 370Z in CS might really be the ticket to a class winning car. Other than not being able to put power down in the wet I liked the AX handling of the Z. Not nearly as prone to understeer as my Boxster.

Last edited by Shamu; 11-09-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:09 PM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

I babied the first two runs so much, running an 80, then a 79.5 haha. On my third run I cut that back right corner that was poorly marked and got pissed so I just started flooring it and messing around. Ended up running a 76.5 so I the last run I pushed it a bit more and got the 75.1 +1 cone that I don't know how I hit.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:36 PM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Results and some pictures are up. Only 468 photos as of now, and none after the 3rd run group. Not sure if he hasn't uploaded all of them, or stopped because of the rain.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:57 AM
DivZero

January 1st

DOUBLE POINTS. DOUBLE POINTS.

Anyone know if they're going yet? Marina Airport, Norcal UFO
Old 12-12-2010, 08:13 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

January 1st

DOUBLE POINTS. DOUBLE POINTS.

Anyone know if they're going yet? Marina Airport, Norcal UFO
Isn't the double points option still up in the air? http://norcalufo.org/main/

Regardless, I'm going to try and make it, but will be coming back from holiday travel so am unsure. It would be a great way to start out the year in the new class.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:01 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

John (member solidfish), Johnny (member macao_friend), my friend, Al, with a SC'd Z, and I battled the weather elements at Marina Airfield yesterday in our Zs for a little autox fun. It was wet all day, though it stopped raining on and off. We each got 12 runs on the ~60s course since the turn out was so low.

I had an idea at the end of the day for a "barrel racing" type of car control practice. Four cones were placed 100' apart and you had to navigate around them, switching directions each time. Meaning, you had to go around the first cone to the left or to the right, do a 360 around it, then navigate the 2nd cone to the right or the left (opposite of the first cone) and so on. It was pretty fun!

Me in the Green Machine:

Al in his supercharged Z:

John (solidfish):

Johnny (macao_friend):

Me in the car control barrel racing:

Good times!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:16 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Here is a video of the drift-type action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfBy_vjscAA
Old 12-20-2010, 02:15 PM
solidfish

It was all fun except for that last session in the afternoon when I was working the far corner. It started pouring sideways and even though I had a rain jacket on, I was trenched!

Driving in puddles requires a whole new skill set. Was .01s from breaking 59 in the afternoon but couldn't get the rear to stay straight.

Last edited by solidfish; 12-27-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:15 AM
ntrinsik

Looked like a ton of fun. I woke up that morning to a huge downpour and didn't want to brave the elements..
Old 12-26-2010, 09:19 PM
DivZero

Scott, I saw you and Johnny on the way down to the event. I was going east on 156 while you were going west. I was driving my red g35 sedan.

Was it a private autocross?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:32 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Scott, I saw you and Johnny on the way down to the event. I was going east on 156 while you were going west. I was driving my red g35 sedan.

Was it a private autocross?
It was private only to the point that you couldn't simply roll in off the street and expect to run (though we probably would have let people given the rain and low turn out). We do 2 or 3 of these events a year there, and I will post them up here ahead of time. Of course, NorcalUFO is there at least once a month, including the upcoming events on 1/1 and 1/30 .
Old 12-27-2010, 10:57 PM
solidfish

err... how did you put up 57s scott??

Man I wish we recorded our afternoon session times. I was a mess in the morning...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NorCal Autocross