Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

[Sacramento]: If your car is mod with Plenum spacer, don't take your car to this smog place

Old 10-07-2015, 09:29 AM
tommyz9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If your car is mod with Plenum spacer, don't take your car to this smog place

A tech work there ( big A-Hole) , he used to own a G35 so he know what Plenum Spacer look like and refuse to pass you if you do not remove it. Off course, he will not tell you until he charge you the fee and drive your car in to the garage. After few minute later, he will tell you that your car failed because he can see that you have the Plenum spacer. Just a friendly warning to people in Norcal. Will never go back there again. I told him that I had this spacer for years and didn't have any issue. He refuse to perform the smog check and refund me the money. He say that he can see the spacer.

Smog In
Smog Check Stations
5889 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:23 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyz9
A tech work there ( big A-Hole) , he used to own a G35 so he know what Plenum Spacer look like and refuse to pass you if you do not remove it. Off course, he will not tell you until he charge you the fee and drive your car in to the garage. After few minute later, he will tell you that your car failed because he can see that you have the Plenum spacer. Just a friendly warning to people in Norcal. Will never go back there again. I told him that I had this spacer for years and didn't have any issue. He refuse to perform the smog check and refund me the money. He say that he can see the spacer.

Smog In
Smog Check Stations
5889 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento.
What do you expect? You failed visual.... the FIRST thing they have to do. And what, you expect for them to NOT do the job they are licensed by CA to do and lose his license?

Sure, you'll find another place that probably won't notice it but that doesn't make it any more legal.

Could be worse.... you could pass visual and then get caught by the sniffer.

Just sayin'....
Old 10-07-2015, 03:04 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Sartre wrote that “Hell Is Other People” and some days that certainly seems to be true. The cable guy, the bank guy, the cell phone guy and no doubt the smog guy and others of their ilk all appear to be born with the A/H gene. The tone of your post suggests that you are quick to anger, not the best way to get these get people to give you a break/cut you some slack/etc. In this situation I think I could have got this car passed. My routine (in case you want to adopt it) is to crank up a thousand watt smile, do a hair flip, fiddle with the buttons on my blouse and generally act coquettish all while suggesting how we might overcome this impasse. I might propose he just overlook that tiny spacer, or how about we call it a good stout gasket and not any part of the smog system etc.

I don’t always prevail, but I’m pretty good at ‘helping people to help me’. Try it, you’ll be amazed at what a pleasant attitude can get you.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:43 AM
tommyz9

I am not asking him to pass me and break the law. He could have just say I can't do the inspection unless you remove the spacer. Why charge me if he knew that he is not going to do it. " Just sayin ". geee, this is what I get trying help YOU for not getting rip off. Sure will not do this type of posting again. I don't even have a Z.

Originally Posted by MicVelo
What do you expect? You failed visual.... the FIRST thing they have to do. And what, you expect for them to NOT do the job they are licensed by CA to do and lose his license?

Sure, you'll find another place that probably won't notice it but that doesn't make it any more legal.

Could be worse.... you could pass visual and then get caught by the sniffer.

Just sayin'....
Old 10-08-2015, 06:05 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I am not asking him to pass me and break the law. He could have just say I can't do the inspection unless you remove the spacer. Why charge me if he knew that he is not going to do it. " Just sayin ". geee, this is what I get trying help YOU for not getting rip off. Sure will not do this type of posting again. I don't even have a Z.
Tommy has a point. If the inspection tech saw the spacer and knew he was going to turn him away, there's no point in pulling the vehicle in the garage and charging him just to get his money. Good post...
Old 10-08-2015, 06:14 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
Sartre wrote that “Hell Is Other People” and some days that certainly seems to be true. The cable guy, the bank guy, the cell phone guy and no doubt the smog guy and others of their ilk all appear to be born with the A/H gene. The tone of your post suggests that you are quick to anger, not the best way to get these get people to give you a break/cut you some slack/etc. In this situation I think I could have got this car passed. My routine (in case you want to adopt it) is to crank up a thousand watt smile, do a hair flip, fiddle with the buttons on my blouse and generally act coquettish all while suggesting how we might overcome this impasse. I might propose he just overlook that tiny spacer, or how about we call it a good stout gasket and not any part of the smog system etc.

I don’t always prevail, but I’m pretty good at ‘helping people to help me’. Try it, you’ll be amazed at what a pleasant attitude can get you.
Sooooooo i just tried what was suggested.... long story short..... anyone got bail money and know a good sexual harrasment lawyer???
Old 10-08-2015, 06:16 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by VO...
Tommy has a point. If the inspection tech saw the spacer and knew he was going to turn him away, there's no point in pulling the vehicle in the garage and charging him just to get his money. Good post...

Cant say i agree. Tommy knows he wouldnt pass with the spacer, yet he tried anyways. He wasted the guys time. Thats like me applying for a home lone KNOWING i wont get it, but demand that the bank give me back my money for the loan application.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:58 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

You need to chill man, I appreciate your trying to help. Problem is that that is how the CA system works. You pay the money and then they commence the process - with the visual inspection first, a PART of the whole "smog test process". That's why I said that that's better than getting all the way through to the conclusion of the sniffer and failing. I agree that it may seem to be an underhanded money grab, no doubt, but that's just how it all works.

Now, if he didn't give you any money back, he does HAVE TO offer to re-test - and generally, your original payment should cover that. (Most smog stations offer "free re-test" and/or offer to fix the problem for a fee. Psh.....) Yeah, seems like a racket but again, the smog laws are designed to accommodate the widest range of possible scenarios.

It's kind of like a fix-it ticket.... "repair the infraction, then we'll talk."

Again, I get where you're coming from but it's not me getting all uptight about it, it's just facts.

Mic
Old 10-08-2015, 07:05 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Cant say i agree. Tommy knows he wouldnt pass with the spacer, yet he tried anyways. He wasted the guys time. Thats like me applying for a home lone KNOWING i wont get it, but demand that the bank give me back my money for the loan application.
Can't say I agree here either sir. The OP states he's had no problem passing inspection in the past. So I would presume, he thought this to be the exact same case and no reason to believe otherwise...
Old 10-08-2015, 07:10 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Can't say I agree here either sir. The OP states he's had no problem passing inspection in the past. So I would presume, he thought this to be the exact same case and no reason to believe otherwise...
I think one thing is perfectly clear here.... It's a shi*ty situation. Again, I see both sides of it but unfortunately, it's just a shop doing its job correctly from a procedural POV but not from a "good human" perspective. And that has the word "suck" written all over it.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:14 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by MicVelo
I think one thing is perfectly clear here.... It's a shi*ty situation. Again, I see both sides of it but unfortunately, it's just a shop doing its job correctly from a procedural POV but not from a "good human" perspective. And that has the word "suck" written all over it.
Agreed.

If I had been in the same position I would have asked the inspection tech first. That would have been my instinct...
Old 10-10-2015, 01:21 AM
Mikey R6

this is why I'm glad I have a smog guy.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:52 AM
turboed350z

I dont have smog where im at, but going on what mic said, its visual then mechanical. So if he knew that he wouldnt pass why try?

Yes he has passed before, but it is HIS job to know the smog law in his area. Ignorance isnt an excuse. (Not using ignorance as an insult here) thats like saying, "oh officer, ive sped before without getting a ticket, why are you giving me a ticket now?"

Thats all im saying. Yes it sucks, but i cant blame the guy for not giving him the money back. As mic said, the guy was simply doing his job. Cant get mad at him for that. Tommy pay to be tested, he was tested and failed. He shouldnt have gotten mad over it.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:29 AM
Jennifer 2

Poor Tommy, He came here with such high hopes of being lauded a hero for saving his comrades from, in his words, being ripped off by shady a’holes. Little did he know that MY350 is a pit of vicious, disparaging, ungrateful vipers, who chose to point out his failings over the tech who had the audacity to follow state protocol.

This forum has lost the bulk of its members and may die if we don’t encourage new participants. However, there’s no pleasing some people.
The following users liked this post:
superlim9 (10-10-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 11:05 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
Poor Tommy, He came here with such high hopes of being lauded a hero for saving his comrades from, in his words, being ripped off by shady a’holes. Little did he know that MY350 is a pit of vicious, disparaging, ungrateful vipers, who chose to point out his failings over the tech who had the audacity to follow state protocol.

This forum has lost the bulk of its members and may die if we don’t encourage new participants. However, there’s no pleasing some people.
Gee, Jen, I thought we were friends.

Hmmmmph, twice in a week now I've had to go to Walgreen's to replenish my supply to ease the pain...

Cheers,

Old 10-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Jennifer 2

What can I say Mic, I’m one of those dangerous, treacherous, females this forum frequently warns about. (Inside joke.) Also a viper can’t change her spots!
Old 10-10-2015, 01:29 PM
dnguyent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smog In
Smog Check Stations
5889 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento.
Thank you for the heads up! The visual inspection is kind of stupid considering if you pass the tail pipe emissions, you're essentially compliant (from a scientific standpoint). So, I'm not all sure what the visual actually accomplishes. It's like banning an athlete for looking too muscular even if the blood test results indicate no presence of performance enhancement drugs.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:44 PM
Jennifer 2

Dnguyent, your analogy isn’t really relevant, considering California presently doesn’t use tailpipe sniffers on cars of the 350Zs vintage. Google is your friend, it can provide dozens of reasons why a physical and visual inspection is necessary in addition to a deep ECU probing. Even I can think of a few pertinent situations, so you should too.

Not all is lost, as I believe California still has some form of referee smog inspection system for modifications where you can have your case adjudicated.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:16 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad I got my own smog man..... have to agree with Mikey R6 on that one.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:20 PM
08Blackz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tommyz9 thanks for the information.
Sorry to hear about that.

Those AH can only beg on people $30 for the rest of their life, is a sad story for them, lol
Don't let this AH ruin your mood.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Sacramento]: If your car is mod with Plenum spacer, don't take your car to this smog place