Notices
Pacific Alaska, Hawaii

Any Twin-Turbo Owners In HI? Help!

Old 09-04-2014, 09:01 AM
RedLeader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawaii z-owners with turbos?

Is anybody running a twin-turbo kit on the road in HI? What's Hawaiis approach to heavily modified cars? Do they conduct a visual inspection, or just jack into the OBD2 port for "self-analysis". I know California inspectors and law enforcement are trained to look for mods, but I haven't heard about Hawaii. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Redleader
Old 09-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Bellisima_Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Came up with this doing a Google search. I think it covers your questions.
http://www.forumshawaii.com/communit...rmation-faq.3/

And this one covers the vehicle inspections
http://www.dmv.org/hi-hawaii/smog-check.php

Last edited by Bellisima_Z; 09-04-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:22 AM
RedLeader

Default Hawaii Vehicle Testing

Thanks B. It looks considerably easier that CA or OR, with the exception of the safety (recon) inspection. I've never seen a suspension component to vehicle testing. I figured Owners in HI would have the most up-to-date info. The recon article is dated 2007 and I'd think the regs have probably gotten more stringent, not less.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:36 AM
RedLeader

Default Any Twin-Turbo Owners In HI? Help!

If you have a highly modded Z in Hawaii, I'm looking for guidance. I read some links dealing with "RECON" inspections, and it scared the sh*t out of me. It looks like Hawaii is the Wild, Wild West as far as emissions testing, but they're really hard on general mods, under the guise of "safety concerns". If I'm reading the recap correctly, I'd have to switch my white corner markers back to amber, and jack the ride-height back up to stock and have it aligned. Do I need to be concerned about the triple-gauge pod, Tein electronic suspension control unit, and Greddy electronic boost controller?(all visible in the cockpit) My Greddy Ti exhaust was installed to replace the much louder APS exhaust, so I think I'm okay there. If I understand correctly, my APS turbo kit is fine. Do they do a visual to determine whether or not you're running cats? Anyone with personal experience?

Thanks in advance,
Redleader

ps Any tuner shops you can recommend in the Honolulu area?
Old 09-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLeader
Is anybody running a twin-turbo kit on the road in HI? What's Hawaiis approach to heavily modified cars? Do they conduct a visual inspection, or just jack into the OBD2 port for "self-analysis". I know California inspectors and law enforcement are trained to look for mods, but I haven't heard about Hawaii. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Redleader
I used to live in Hawaii the recon has certain restrictions about how low your car can be in terms of turbo and engine swap you can go all out. Catless exhaust they might not pass that at recon station if too loud. If you drive around catless and make a lot of noise you will get pulled over and get a ticket for 70 bucks. If you drive around catless and are polite don't worry you will never get pulled over. The laws their on cars to be honest are much more laid back for car modifications. In fact Hawaii is the only state without highway patrol ....
Old 09-07-2014, 01:15 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

You may want to track down JDM-V35, who just moved from Hawaii to Colorado with a supercharged/modified G35 - pretty cool guy and may shed some light on your specific questions.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:16 PM
sradenton

Yup^^^
When I lived there, they only checked my suspension and tint. They Didn't pop the hood.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:18 AM
toogood131

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

The links posted above are outdated. There was a new safety check system implemented last year.

Here's a good read about the new safety procedures and some helpful info regarding recon. 1st post has good info.

New/Revised Safety Law? | Hawaii's #1 Forums

What to expect when you go in for recon inspection:

New/Revised Safety Law? | Page 2 | Hawaii's #1 Forums

What to expect for new safety inspections:

New/Revised Safety Law? | Page 4 | Hawaii's #1 Forums
Old 09-11-2014, 10:19 AM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to have a G w/twins way back when, I'm sure there are G's/Z's that are T/TT/SC now.

In any case, don't worry about smog, there is non here. Reconstruction is not required for your engine. Down here LEO's are more concerned about suspension drop, tires outside of the fender line, clear corners, and tint that's too dark.

Shoot I've even seen a guy with a Bug (and I'm talking 1970's/1960's vintage) with a small/big block dropped into the front of the car. You'll be fine.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:22 AM
GZire

......emissions testing.........what are those? lulz

Sonics (Seth.........Sonic Motorsports) is the place to go. There are some other shops, but he's the guy I'd trust the most.:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sonic...132435?sk=info
Old 09-11-2014, 10:26 AM
GZire

So.........clear corners are a Fed thing not Hawaii. Some LEOs could care less about them, but in no State are clear corners legal.

Triple gauge pod, don't worry about. No need to be concerned about the ride control & controller.

Only items I'd worry about is your suspension, exhaust, and what kind of tint you've got.

This section's been dead for years. I'd suggest here:
http://www.forumshawaii.com/community/

Sub forum:
http://www.forumshawaii.com/communit...econ-advice.8/

Kalihi Cop (KC) is pretty knowledgeable and helpful about recon items.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:30 AM
RedLeader

Default Hawaiian Tuners

Just found out there's a Z-Car expert living in the Honolulu area who only deals with highly modded 350Zs, 370Zs, and vintage Z-Cars. Already talked to him and put my concerns to rest. Can't wait to get it shipped!
Old 09-11-2014, 03:33 PM
GZire

Who is this expert?