cyberz350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you own a photo studio?

I want a freakin photo studio!
Old 05-11-2006, 02:47 PM
gr?

Originally Posted by yobri
Some people say that the 17-40mm is a bit slow, but I honestly can tell the difference. Need more lenses in order to be able to compare better, I guess

I would have gotten the 24-70mm over the 17-40mm if I was in a better financial position b/c of the reviews (in favor of the 24-70mm) that I have read and gotten from a couple of photog boards.
When you say that the 17-40 is 'slow' are you referring to the autofocus or the aperture speed? f/4.0 isn't bad but it of course f/2.8 is better (1 full stop). Personally, I would never buy a wide angle zoom lens with f/4.0. You don't realize how much difference 1 full stop makes until you start shooting indoors under poor lighting. The 17-40 f/4.0L is a great lens but for what I look for in a lens, I went with the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 since it was a faster lens. Plus, at $330 after MIR, it's a hell of a bargain. If you plan on shooting indoors or under less - than - sunny lighting, you might want to think about spending the extra on the 24-70 f/2.8L or getting the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8..... or waiting fo the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 that is due to hit the shelves on the US market any day now.

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/rele...s0215_a16.html

I'll probably sell my 28-75 for the 17-50 once it's released.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:50 PM
gr?

Originally Posted by GTNPU Z
Hey Jim,

I pretty much just started myself & got the XT. The only thing I feel that some folks may not like is the size. For me I think it's fine but for others, they may think it's a bit small/cramped for a DSLR especially if you plan on using larger telephoto lenses. You can add the battery grip to increase the size in those situations for better handling but it still may feel cramped if you have big fingers/hands.

For the price of what you get though, it handles like a champ. I love mine.

Good luck!
Once you hold and use a 10D/20D/30D or the 1D series, you'll probably end up selling your 350D. I picked up a 10D as a back up body to put on the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS so that I wouldn't have to switch lenses all the time but the 10D became my primary body and I use the 350D with the telephoto lens. The body is way too small to hold comfortably, even with a battery grip. Here's a shot my friend took this last weekend that shows the 350D being miniature in size when used in conjunction with a telephoto lens.

I'm the little Asian guy.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:54 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Well, for me I want something fairly versitile. I will be using it both indoors & outdoors as well as low light & bright light. I will most likely be using it more for outdoors though both during the bright light & low light settings (sunset, parking lot, etc...).
Old 05-11-2006, 02:55 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by gr?
When you say that the 17-40 is 'slow' are you referring to the autofocus or the aperture speed? f/4.0 isn't bad but it of course f/2.8 is better (1 full stop). Personally, I would never buy a wide angle zoom lens with f/4.0. You don't realize how much difference 1 full stop makes until you start shooting indoors under poor lighting. The 17-40 f/4.0L is a great lens but for what I look for in a lens, I went with the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 since it was a faster lens. Plus, at $330 after MIR, it's a hell of a bargain. If you plan on shooting indoors or under less - than - sunny lighting, you might want to think about spending the extra on the 24-70 f/2.8L or getting the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8..... or waiting fo the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 that is due to hit the shelves on the US market any day now.

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/rele...s0215_a16.html

I'll probably sell my 28-75 for the 17-50 once it's released.
I meant AP... I would have to shoot with a better lens f-stop in order to realize what I'm missing (the difference in how I'm taking shots versus how a better stop would look with the same shots)... but my indoor shots could stand do better (plus an aftermarket flash is also on my shopping list). I still take average pictures at this point in my experience...
Old 05-11-2006, 02:56 PM
gr?

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
Hey Guys .... I am about 2 steps away from joining the club here

I've got my eyes set on

1) Canon 350D
2) Nikon D50

With either camera, I will be starting out with the Sigma 30/1.4
Now .... looking and researching and thinking ... I'd eventually want a telephoto lens, something like a 100/2 or an 85/1.8 or so ... and it appears that Canon is easier to get lenses for. Knowing me and my "hobbies", I'll get carried away with this and won't be happy ending up "waiting" for a Nikon mount lens to be released. So .. I have about 99% convinced myself to head in the Canon direction ....

can anyone say anything bad about the D-Reb? A friend uses one and loves it, and I have no real experience, other than playing around in the stores with a Nikon ...

Price ... it's a $50 wash either way ... so the better camera will get the nod from me.

Input is much appreciated

Thanks guys,
Jim
If you go to Best Buy or any electronics store to play with both of them, you'll prefer the D50. It feels better, the controls and menus are better (ergonomics), and price wise it's a little less. Image quality is up in the air but depending on the lens, the 350D has the slight edge, especially in higher ISOs. Canon sensors at higher ISOs have the edge, especially on the higher end models.

Depending on what you shoot might make a difference in what you want to buy. If you plan on doing wildlife, action/sports, or any photography where you 'll want the extra reach, the Canon telephoto lenses have a big advantage over the Nikon. But, if you do landscape or something that requires super wide angles, the Nikon selection is better.

I went with a Canon body due to the Canon lenses. It's hard to beat the autofocus speed, sharpness, and color of an L lens. If you ever get a 1D series body, the weather sealing is a huge advantage if you in dusty conditions or in the rain.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:57 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by gr?
Once you hold and use a 10D/20D/30D or the 1D series, you'll probably end up selling your 350D. I picked up a 10D as a back up body to put on the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS so that I wouldn't have to switch lenses all the time but the 10D became my primary body and I use the 350D with the telephoto lens. The body is way too small to hold comfortably, even with a battery grip. Here's a shot my friend took this last weekend that shows the 350D being miniature in size when used in conjunction with a telephoto lens.

http://www.hostmypiconline.com/images/carlisle001xx.jpg

I'm the little Asian guy.
Whoa, the 70-200mm lens makes the 350D look so unbalanced when mounted...
Old 05-11-2006, 02:59 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Whoa, the 70-200mm lens makes the 350D look so unbalanced...
Yeah, tell me about it. I can only imagine the amount of stress the area has between the camera body & the lens.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:00 PM
gr?

I meant AP... I would have to shoot with a better lens f-stop in order to realize what I'm missing (the difference in how I'm taking shots versus how a better stop would look with the same shots)... but my indoor shots could stand do better (plus an aftermarket flash is also on my shopping list). I still take average pictures at this point in my experience...
If you don't want to mess with an external flash and/or a tripod, the f/2.8 (or faster lens) would be an advantage. Regardless, you'll eventually want to get a flash - even a low end Canon 420EX ($130-150) will make a huge difference indoors or outdoors. This past weekend in Carlisle, I used it on half my shots due to the bright sunny conditions.

I'm probably an oddball but when I go to car shows or other events, I rarely travel lightly. I bring everything since I'm willing to carry 18 lbs of gear to make sure I get good pics. My back hates me by the end of the day but it's worth it when the pictures come out worthwhile.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:05 PM
gr?

Well, for me I want something fairly versitile. I will be using it both indoors & outdoors as well as low light & bright light. I will most likely be using it more for outdoors though both during the bright light & low light settings (sunset, parking lot, etc...).
I always suggest buy the best you can afford, even if it means sacrificing something for a month or two. The benefit you'll get from the 2.8, even outdoors, is a better-blurred background/bokeh. You won't get the same from a 4.0. For amateurs, this won't mean too much but once you start getting into photography and it evolves to a more serious hobby, you'll nitpick your own photos and think to yourself "I wish I got the faster lens!"

Several times I week I see people on fredmiranda.com selling the 300mm f/4.0 and upgrading to a 300mm f/2.8 just because they don't like the background blur from the 4.0.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:05 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by gr?
If you don't want to mess with an external flash and/or a tripod, the f/2.8 (or faster lens) would be an advantage.
Hmm? Well I think this bit of info is more up my alley of what I'm looking for.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:23 PM
bstansbu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shots I took with my camera. Sony Cyber shot 12x zoom 5.1 mega pixel. Normal lens that came on the camera.

BEN
Attached Thumbnails Miscellaneous Photography Thread-cameron-hat-off.jpg   Miscellaneous Photography Thread-hummingbirdsmall.jpg  
Old 05-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Winchm60

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like this has become a place to ask questions about digital SLR's, and NOT a gallery as the title states. Let's see some more pics!!!!

If you want to ask questions...start another thread.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:30 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by rx7twinturboboy
Seems like this has become a place to ask questions about digital SLR's, and NOT a gallery as the title states. Let's see some more pics!!!!

If you want to ask questions...start another thread.
So with that said, I have created this thread for all DSLR owners (Canon, Nikon, etc...) to share their pics on whatever subject matter it may be (cars, portraits, nature, landscape, buildings, etc...)(no **** of course ). I think it'll be real cool to see people's work since I've seen some awesome photo skills up in this forum. It'll also be a good area for others to learn how to take those great pictures as well.
Umm...not just a gallery. I'm the one who started this thread & if you read my very first post, it's a resource/gallery for us guys with DSLR's.

I can easily change the title if needs be

But I agree though...we need more pics!

Last edited by GTNPU Z; 05-11-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:38 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Anyways, here's a few from a photoshoot I took of GQ350Z:

More here on pages 4 & 5.
https://my350z.com/forum/media-share/189384-updated-gq-spring-collection-2006-he-s-back-ya-ll.html

Last edited by GTNPU Z; 05-11-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:49 PM
gr?

Hmm? Well I think this bit of info is more up my alley of what I'm looking for.
One other thing I forgot to mention - most lenses will be sharper when stopped down 1-2 stops, so a f/2.8 lens will be sharper at 4.0 than a f/4.0 lens will be at f/4.0. If you're forced to shoot at that aperture, the 2.8 lens will produce a better image than the 4.0 lens.

To keep rx7twinturboboy happy, here's a pic
Old 05-11-2006, 03:52 PM
gr?

Yeah, tell me about it. I can only imagine the amount of stress the area has between the camera body & the lens.
The lens mount area is solid so there's no strain at all. The 70-200 f/2.8L is only 3.5 lbs.

Side shot to show how small the 350D is

Last edited by gr?; 05-12-2006 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:04 PM
cyberz350

Anyways, here's a few from a photoshoot I took of GQ350Z:

More here on pages 4 & 5.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189384
Awesome shots James. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:16 PM
stu46

Okay, here are my front runners before I pull the trigger:

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L = Approx. $700
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L = Approx. $1200

Which one would you choose & why? Obviously the 17-40mm is the more affordable one but if you had to line these up side-by-side, which one will provide you with the best overall performance & picture quality? TIA.
You can go 17-40 f/4L and 50 f/1.4. 50 is a little long for indoor shots, but doable. You can always wait for the canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS. And then there's the Canon 24-105 f/4 IS. If you're shooting low-light without a tripod, the faster lens would be better or IS. Like gr? said, the faster lens is sharper stopped down than the other lens wide open.

I've got the 50 f/1.8 if you wanna try it out. I don't have much time for photography the next few weeks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Miscellaneous Photography Thread