Notices

Cosworth Plenum FI/NA: Pics Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:46 PM
chimmike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Guys, the rumor has it, that the plenum will be price MUCH less than $1500...possibly in the triple digits. And this things look AMAZING. I mean...the junk Kinetix manifold sold for $900, and produced zero power...and people still purchased it.

With a 15whp gain NA, and possibly more with FI...I think this plenum is a winner. You can also keep your stock strut bar, as I know that's important to many people.

Cosworth told us they were going to sell it for well under 1500, as Sharif said, likely in the triple digits.

Comparing this to anything else on the market is almost a crime.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:48 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by chimmike
Cosworth told us they were going to sell it for well under 1500, as Sharif said, likely in the triple digits.

How can you say that when you havent seen the results?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:55 PM
RBlover69

i wonder what this will prduce for the revup since all the talk has been for the 287 if im not mistaken?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turismo
Has anyone tested an SSV on a turbocharged motor makeing in excess of 500hp.
They wouldnt be making in excess of 500hp if they did.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:54 PM
redline350ZZ

Just based on the name Cosworth. They are a good company and have a great Rep. They put a lot into R and D so that's one of the reasons for all the excitement. Granted this like any product can fail but the likelihood for success is better than most.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:20 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
(WAY better than the Kinetix).
thats not so hard
the stock plemun ..if polished already looks better than the kinetix shlt
Old 01-04-2007, 05:28 AM
IIQuickSilverII

i sorta agre and dont.. i mean yah... it should be better than all kinetix..that woudl be a crime comparing it to those... but still probably better than the tall boy adn teh crawford plenum, but still you are going to be paying more than double the price of those mods, and more than 4 times the price of a plenum spacer and you are not going to get a whole lot of more power out of this mods compared to all that extra price...

i mean not trying to be a hater... i rather put that extra money in somethign else like a better engine gasket or headwork and get a plenum spacer...who knows i might end up getting it even if its still pricey
Old 01-04-2007, 05:38 AM
chimmike

because Cosworth is the only company to make a plenum and actually use mult-thousand dollar programs to test fluid dynamic flow, etc.

I saw the charts. this isn't some slapped together piece of shiny metal like the SSV.......this will put all other stuff on the market to shame. ESPECIALLY with FI. Just wait
Old 01-04-2007, 06:10 AM
turismo

I'm not doubting Cosworth, just wanted to see actuall data before saying its th best intake out. Are they testing this on an NA motor, FI motor, Stock motor, Cam only motor. It is hard to design a manifold that flows more than stock, especially the way ours is made. These are not F1,Nascar,Indy parts there making, its for a 350z. Do you think they would spend as much time on ours as the would F1? Millions and millions of dollars are spent on R&D through F1/Indy, doubt they spent that much on us!
Old 01-04-2007, 06:25 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't think they will spend millions on us. But I don't think Cosworth will put out a half-a$$ product and waste their money

Can't wait to see results from this product...
Old 01-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Originally Posted by NA&CH

Can't wait to see results from this product...

And some more pics...........
Old 01-04-2007, 06:39 AM
chimmike

I'm not doubting Cosworth, just wanted to see actuall data before saying its th best intake out. Are they testing this on an NA motor, FI motor, Stock motor, Cam only motor. It is hard to design a manifold that flows more than stock, especially the way ours is made. These are not F1,Nascar,Indy parts there making, its for a 350z. Do you think they would spend as much time on ours as the would F1? Millions and millions of dollars are spent on R&D through F1/Indy, doubt they spent that much on us!

If you knew the tools they were using to design this, you wouldn't be so skeptical.

Let me put this in perspective. This is not the first design they did. And the pictures everyone has: They're of a 3D printout. That's right. It's a $4,000 plastic 'printout' of what the plenum looks like. The CF sides are real, however. I held it myself, knocked on it. It's painted to LOOK like metal, but it's not. And that's not the first $4k 3D printout of a design they've done, either.

The flowcharts show exact flow. The flow in a motor doesn't change in terms of anything but volume, so testing for cams, headers, etc. won't do squat.

They are in fact testing with FI, and many other situations just to see gains and fine tune the design beyond the computer generated flow analysis.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:52 AM
turismo

If you knew the tools they were using to design this, you wouldn't be so skeptical.

Let me put this in perspective. This is not the first design they did. And the pictures everyone has: They're of a 3D printout. That's right. It's a $4,000 plastic 'printout' of what the plenum looks like. The CF sides are real, however. I held it myself, knocked on it. It's painted to LOOK like metal, but it's not. And that's not the first $4k 3D printout of a design they've done, either.

The flowcharts show exact flow. The flow in a motor doesn't change in terms of anything but volume, so testing for cams, headers, etc. won't do squat.

They are in fact testing with FI, and many other situations just to see gains and fine tune the design beyond the computer generated flow analysis.
Well I stand corrected then
Old 01-04-2007, 06:58 AM
EM-EFER

Good info Chimike.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:07 AM
chimmike

I had to wrack it out of the cosworth guys at PRI It will fit under the stock strut bar too!

They will be coming out with cams here shortly too....among other things.

I got some other cool info......their heads, they purchase stock heads from Nissan, and do their CNC work on 'em. So you're getting a brand new head, not a used re-worked unit (but they're still goddamn expensive!) lol.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:26 AM
arizzee

Another detail that seems to get lost when everyone says it's too expensive is the fact that this plenum will be tunable. How many spacers, tallboys or reworked plenums can say that?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:40 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by arizzee
Another detail that seems to get lost when everyone says it's too expensive is the fact that this plenum will be tunable. How many spacers, tallboys or reworked plenums can say that?
wait... 5/16" spacer 220$ about 12-20whp Fi

this mor 999 expected 20-30whp

so about 10-20whp for 700 bucks more...

I do like that its tunable though
will see when it comes out..i am sure it wll be a nice unit...
Old 01-04-2007, 07:55 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
wait... 5/16" spacer 220$ about 12-20whp Fi
this mor 999 expected 20-30whp

so about 10-20whp for 700 bucks more...

I do like that its tunable though
will see when it comes out..i am sure it wll be a nice unit...
Quicksilver, for those of us that have done everything else for our engines, (cams, headwork, gaskets, valvetrain, fuel systems, built bottom end, stroked... etc, etc..) what else is there left to do that will gain you power..? Of course I can start stripping dead weight off the car, but I sort of like driving it with some creature comforts..

This is a product that will most likely provide a decent increase in power for those that are reaching the upper limits of airflow volume. We need more air in order to generate more power. If this reduces the limitations of current plenums, then it will be worth it for the 700+whp guys. IMHO of course..
Old 01-04-2007, 07:57 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by BamBam
Quicksilver, for those of us that have done everything else for our engines, (cams, headwork, gaskets, valvetrain, fuel systems, built bottom end, stroked... etc, etc..) what else is there left to do that will gain you power..? Of course I can start stripping dead weight off the car, but I sort of like driving it with some creature comforts..

This is a product that will most likely provide a decent increase in power for those that are reaching the upper limits of airflow volume. We need more air in order to generate more power. If this reduces the limitations of current plenums, then it will be worth it for the 700+whp guys. IMHO of course..

OH i agree BamBam... but its probably less than 10% of all Zs FI that are in that postion
That why i also said..i might end up getting it also...who knows..maybe a competitor soon comes up with something else..
Old 01-04-2007, 07:58 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

For the NA guys it seems like an awful lot of money for very little gain, a spacer seems like the better value. For FI, of course, we will know shortly after release.

Quick Reply: Cosworth Plenum FI/NA: Pics Inside!