Notices

Cosworth Plenum FI/NA: Pics Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cosworth Plenum FI/NA: Pics Inside!

PRE ORDER towards the end of this post
The Cosworth intake plenum for the VQ35 has been under development for over 6 months. I saw some rough sketches a few months back, and they finally released their semi-official working prototype for display purposes at SEMA.

They showed us pages and pages of data, flow charts, graphs, etc...that proves they REALLY did their research on this one. They went through 6 different design concepts, before settling on this one. Live testing was conducted on their in-house engine dyno. They claim 17hp improvement in top end power, with no trq loss on the midrange on a bone stock non-revup VQ35.

More importantly, the plenum is finally making power to redline. This thing should be a screamer, especially for the forced induction people, where power tends to drop off around 6500rpm or so.

Price is TBD, but they are targeting a sub $1500 price point. Cosworth has agreed to let us test one on our shop car (my car), once a cast production piece is ready in the next couple months. The unit on display, was a thin plastic prototype, and is not suitable for FI.

The carbon fiber caps, may or may not make the final cut. But it is my understanding, they want to allow tuners the option of modifing the velocity stacks for specific applications.

Comments or questions?

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 02-08-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:18 AM
G352NV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Thats tight.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:20 AM
rednezz

Sharif, do you know if it will fit under the stock strut bar? This looks like it will compliment my cams and heads that I bought.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:21 AM
chichi506

wow, very nice! looks like cosworth definetely did their homework! almost looks like ITB's on the inside. very cool!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:25 AM
EM-EFER

Adjustable velocity stacks.... Wow
Old 11-06-2006, 10:27 AM
trefling

Nice, it's about time. The stock plenum sucks for FI.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by EM-EFER
Adjustable velocity stacks.... Wow
Though we were going to be the first to release an adjustable velocity stack intake plenum for the Z! Looks awesome, our new intake manifold is going to have some serious competition
Old 11-06-2006, 11:21 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

This should help break the N/A 300 mark, maybe, possibly, hopefully

Cant wait to see it perform.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:26 AM
chimmike

I knew cosworth would come thru designing this thing properly.

Whew, now I just gotta save up $1500 for it, haha
Old 11-06-2006, 11:27 AM
taurran

Yeah, I never actually found the Cosworth booth to see this but it looks very interesting to say the least.

However, I'd rather have an intake manifold that is fed from the front of the motor with twin chambers/velocity stacks. (hint, hint)
Old 11-06-2006, 11:32 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

That's a beautiful piece. Cosworth is coming out with all types of new, fun stuff lately.

Tony (they just released Evo IX cams... +31whp and +23lb-ft w/ no drop in power anywhere.. I will own them)
Old 11-06-2006, 11:36 AM
chimmike

it's nice having Cosworth. They have the $$ to R & D parts properly and the knowledge to make sure it's all right.

I'm glad they show interest in the VQ35...someone there must be a Nissan fan or Z owner
Old 11-06-2006, 11:42 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Originally Posted by chimmike
it's nice having Cosworth. They have the $$ to R & D parts properly and the knowledge to make sure it's all right.

I'm glad they show interest in the VQ35...someone there must be a Nissan fan or Z owner
Or they know there is alot of money to be made with the VQ engine

But im still glad their eyes are looking at our engines. Only good things will come from it. Pics above

Later
Todd

Last edited by ACEMAN; 11-06-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:44 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

+1
Old 11-06-2006, 12:06 PM
MustGoFastR

Am I the only one not impressed by this info.?

The gains stated here are pretty much the same as what Crawford was boasting when they released their plenum, and this thing will cost HOW much? Adjustable velocity stacks... NOT. There are simply caps on the end that can be removed so that the velocity stacks can be modified/permanently altered (and why would anyone WANT to, if this is such a great, optimally designed piece???). You can do the same thing with the stock setup upper/lower plenum (MREV2, anyone?).

It may look bad@ss, but there are much simpler existing products (spacers, MREV2) that utilize stock components and net comparable gains for MUCH less money. Mod smarter, not pricier, people.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Yes.

Just kidding. But honestly, to me...the biggest benfit is the fact they are making power to redline. No spacer/plenum on the market has demonstrated that yet. And 17hp improvement on a bone stock engine is pretty impressive in my book.

At high boost, this thing has the potential to add upwards of 25-50whp assuming it will make power to 7000rpm. Only time will tell...but I like where they are going with this.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:30 PM
chimmike

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR

The gains stated here are pretty much the same as what Crawford was boasting when they released their plenum, and this thing will cost HOW much? Adjustable velocity stacks... NOT. There are simply caps on the end that can be removed so that the velocity stacks can be modified/permanently altered (and why would anyone WANT to, if this is such a great, optimally designed piece???). You can do the same thing with the stock setup upper/lower plenum (MREV2, anyone?).

It may look bad@ss, but there are much simpler existing products (spacers, MREV2) that utilize stock components and net comparable gains for MUCH less money. Mod smarter, not pricier, people.

ROFL. You're comparing the engineering/race EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE of Cosworth with that of Kinetix? Give me a break ROFL

Cosworth has proven themselves in the race industry, the OEM performance sector, and now the aftermarket. You cannot compare Cosworth with kinetix. Seriously. You can't really compare Cosworth with anyone that makes plenum mods now....none of them stack up to the reputation Cosworth has.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:31 PM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Yes.

Just kidding. But honestly, to me...the biggest benfit is the fact they are making power to redline. No spacer/plenum on the market has demonstrated that yet. And 17hp improvement on a bone stock engine is pretty impressive in my book.

At high boost, this thing has the potential to add upwards of 25-50whp assuming it will make power to 7000rpm. Only time will tell...but I like where they are going with this.

Yeah, under boost in one thing, but we'll see if it's really worth it on N/A. Again, Crawford showed peak gains of 17HP too and I'd like to see a dyno that shows NO drop-off before redline before I get all excited about that. True, time will tell...
Old 11-06-2006, 12:31 PM
diablo1356

will this fit the g?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:35 PM
MustGoFastR

ROFL. You're comparing the engineering/race EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE of Cosworth with that of Kinetix? Give me a break ROFL
Ummm.... I wasn't. I cited Crawford and Motordyne products.

Cosworth has proven themselves in the race industry, the OEM performance sector, and now the aftermarket. You cannot compare Cosworth with kinetix. Seriously. You can't really compare Cosworth with anyone that makes plenum mods now....none of them stack up to the reputation Cosworth has.
You're one of those guys that big name companies love to @ss rape with their high priced and "superior R&D" and take it with a smile. That's like paying twice what other (just as good) BBK setups cost for Brembo b/c they are "the best". ROFL, indeed. I don't suppot products blindly, riding on a company's reputation; I support products with proven real world gains, REGARDLESS of who the manufacturer is.

Last edited by MustGoFastR; 11-06-2006 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Cosworth Plenum FI/NA: Pics Inside!