Notices

First Look - KPtechnologies Speed Shift Module

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure it's an "Anti-lag" feature on the V-Pro, but if i recall, jkenefic (sp?) tried to set this up with sharif but couldn't get it to work on our platform.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuadCam
regarding flat shifting and the VPro..........I seem to remember SHarif setting it up on his own or customers cars well over a year ago............but maybe my memory is failing me.
Again, the VPro does not support Flat Foot Shifting... It does have anti lag which is great for killing your turbos in short order...
Old 06-10-2008, 09:43 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Philthy
Again, the VPro does not support Flat Foot Shifting... It does have anti lag which is great for killing your turbos in short order...
okay. I just recall a feature called "flat shift", but it could be my aging brain.

anti-lag is just a 2 step isn't it?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:16 AM
coachk
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCam
okay. I just recall a feature called "flat shift", but it could be my aging brain.

anti-lag is just a 2 step isn't it?
Kinda,but not really...anti lag is more so used to keep boost during shifts.You could use it to spool a big turbo when launching,but not recommended due to high temps which is not good for the turbos. A 2 step is basically setting a rpm for launch and a rpm for nlts.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:14 PM
KPierson
Banned

Update:

After our testing phase is done (2-3 week time frame) we will be offering a group buy at $99.99 per module. This module will include the Speed Shift AND 2 step features.

But wait, if we get 20 confirmed purchases during the initial 2 weeks we'll drop the price to our wholesale price that another vendor leaked on to the internet - $69.99! I'm not one to make claims, but I feel confident saying you will NOT find these features for cheaper then this - and the module comes with KPtechnologies quality and customer service!

We are still looking for testers - I plan to ship the test units out this coming Monday. Sign up in the KPtechnologies support forum if you are willing to help!
Old 06-11-2008, 09:27 AM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by n2mb
I can't express the importance in testing a product design before releasing it to the public , particularly if the design is copied from someone elses patented design.we designed the wotbox years ago and it has been tested thoroughly on the market for a few years.we are just now branching out and offering it exclusively through mrc motorsports

how much design and engineering went in to copying our design?
unless your name is dale walker you have little room to talk.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:33 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

bump for a tester
Old 06-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by go-fast
if you feel that my post was inacurate please pm me or have your partner retract his statement.this forum takes claims such as this serious and vendors have been banned for lying.
so you are telling me the idea has been around since the 70s?? no way!

Originally Posted by source
In the beginning...
In 1977 when Dale built his first 8 second Kawasaki turbo charged drag bike, air shifters, rev limiters, and under-cut transmissions were unheard of. The rider would simply back off the throttle for an instant (throttle-shift) or hold the throttle wide open and fan the clutch (power-shift) to select the next gear during a drag race. Running 30 lbs of boost with around 250 horsepower on tap was awesome back then. But when you missed a shift it got really ugly. Bent valves, damaged pistons, cylinder head damage, and even a trashed crank shaft was not uncommon.

The Electric Powershifter Idea
Design a system that would kill the engines ignition system momentarily between shifts. This would allow the rider to hold the throttle full open and just move the shifter pedal to complete the upshifts without clutching. The first unit worked so well that Dale decided to make kits for many other models (over 50 to this date). Since then, racers worldwide have been using our Powershifters with great success. The Electric Powershifter not only makes a lightning fast shift, but is also very easy on the transmission, clutch/clutch basket, and the entire drive train.

The Holeshot Electric Powershifter 2TM is Born
In 1991 Dale developed the Electric Powershifter 2. After a year of testing, he came up with the most user friendly unit yet. It's a snap to install, works on just about any motorcycle, and is easy to dial in with the external kill time adjustment. It can be used for dragracing, roadracing, superbike or GP, Harleys, quads/ATV, and shifter race karts. It's awesome!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Crom

Infor the results....great product....
Old 06-11-2008, 12:05 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by Motormouth
so you are telling me the idea has been around since the 70s?? no way!
it's been around since the 70's..people cant out right lie about development of technology that has been around for 25 years and think no one will call b.s.theres nothing wrong with making slightly different versions or improving on a theme,but to take credit for the idea is a crime.

Last edited by go-fast; 06-16-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:46 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Tester??? I am intersted. Add my name to possible tester list Kevin

Chris

Last edited by NA&CH; 06-11-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:22 PM
zmedic16

hell im in for group buy if this already includes the 2step feature!!!!!
include me in group buy if initial units will have this avaliable!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:14 PM
KPierson
Banned

I didn't plan on working on this at all today, but I got the 2 step half working. I was able to somewhat control RPM and build boost. However, my only intention was to test that it will work, so I still have to develop the actual firmware to control the thing the way it needs to be controlled.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by go-fast
it's been around since the 70's yes way! micro units available to the public since 84'.people cant out right lie about development of technology that has been around for 25 years and think no one will call b.s.i want to choke people who take credit for others work.theres nothing wrong with making slightly different versions or improving on a theme,but to take credit for the idea is a crime.
to call someone else out and claim credit is not cool.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:41 PM
medstudent25

subscribing for details
Old 06-12-2008, 04:43 PM
KPierson
Banned

The initial test results are in!

I was planning on simulating some WOT shifts on a load bearing dyno, but that fell through so I made a trip to the local 1/4 mile track.

I made about 8 runs total, mixing up between using the module and not using the module. In the graphs you can see where the RPM stutters, and you can see that the boost doesn't drop near as much, and recovers quicker. I didn't actually see any hard evidence of increased 1/4 times, but my 60' times were all over the map. My trap speeds were consistent between using and not using the module.

I used the Speed Shift module for the 2-3 and 3-4 shift:

I used the Speed Shift module ONLY on the 3-4 shift here: You can see the drastic difference from not using it:
Old 06-15-2008, 01:16 PM
KPierson
Banned

Any one have any comments about the data I posted?
Old 06-15-2008, 05:24 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kevin,

could you feel the difference? I would think with less boost drop off, each gear change is going to hit the tires harder. Not knowing what kind of traction aids you have on your car, did you notice a "harder hit" on upshifts.....or was the added boost on shifts causing you to spin the tires on upshifts?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:17 AM
KPierson
Banned

At the track I didn't feel a difference. My trap speeds didn't indicate a difference, either.

On the street I did feel a difference. But, I don't normally shift at wot on the street, so it may just be from a lack of experiance.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:34 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

I am willing to be a beta tester since my car has been used as a beta tester for all of our products for quite some time now.

Quick Reply: First Look - KPtechnologies Speed Shift Module