First Look - KPtechnologies Speed Shift Module

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:30 PM
KPierson
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have the APP at the ECU.
You have the clutch switch at the ECU.
You have a fuel injector wire at the ECU.
You have the main ignition wire on the passenger side of the motor - this wire needs to be cut and both sides ran to the ECU.
Then there is a ground wire.

Those are the only wires in the car that need to be tapped. There is also a standard automotive relay to cut the ignition power - it has 4 wires of its own (ignition in, ignition out, 12vdc, and signal ground provided by the module).
Old 07-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Hoooper

so are the test modules likely shipping soon? sounds like a super easy install for anyone thats done any wiring in their car before.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 PM
KPierson
Banned

yes, they should be shipping soon.

I have a habit of trying to perfect things before I ship them out and I'm doing it again. I noticed one little issue the other day with launching the two step that I'm trying to improve. We have a track day here in Ohio on Thursday but I won't be able to attend due to a death in the family. I was hoping to get out there for a 'real world' test of the two step. I did manage to find an isolated parking lot last night and got a few aggressive launches off - definately better then if I were launching manually, but still a little room for improvement.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:16 PM
KPierson
Banned

OK, I am finally happy with the way everything works. I did a few two step launches today and the two step really helps get the car off the line - even with stock tires. You just need to be able to feather the clutch and practice a bit. The two step will maintain the programmed two step RPM until the clutch is completely released, so if you start to spin while leaving the line the two step will prevent hitting the rev limiter.

The beta test units are almost ready to go out - I have them sitting here waiting on some hardware (screws). I hope to get them tonight and ship these things out on Tuesday. I still need to make an installation manual, but that shouldn't take too long - I will just need to find the time.

Overall, I must admit, this took longer then I had expected but I am very pleased with the results - it was well worth the wait. Our final production module will prove to be a superior unit to the competition and cost considerably less then anything else on the market. Our circuitry to interface with the cars ignition system is designed to be completely fail safe - if something goes wrong this module will NOT prevent you from driving your car under any condition (assuming a spare standard automotive relay is available to plug in just in case the contacts go bad in the socketed relay that is included).

I plan to go to the track this Thursday and I'll try to shoot some videos of the two step in action. I am confident it will lower my consistent 2.1-2.2s 60' times, thus making the car faster in the 1/4.

I'll post up some more detailed information on how exactly the module works in the coming days.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:54 AM
KPierson
Banned

The test module were finished this morning and ready to start shipping.

The modules will all include our custom designed hybrid relay - a standard automotive electromechanical relay for isolation coupled with a high speed, high current (31A) MOSFET drive circuit.

This setup allows KPtechnologies to have COMPLETE individual cylinder control over the ignition system while not actually running any critical component through our circuitry. So, if the MOSFET dies or the drive circuit gets shorted out the car will STILL run. The MOSFET drive circuit isn't needed for the vehicle to operate! The electromechanical relay, during the two step, simply provides isolation to allow our module to assume control - it is rated at over 100,000 cycles at full switching load (we are nowhere near full switching load).

This custom engineered solution from KPtechnologies gives you the features you want and the reliability that you need.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 AM
KPierson
Banned

Programming the Two Step!

Programming the two step couldn't be easier.

1. Make sure the motor is at temperature
2. Make sure the tranny is in N and the parking brake is set

3. Push the clutch down
4. Push the accelerator pedal to the floor
5. Turn the key in the igniton to the "ON" position (don't start the car)

At this point you will hear our module click to indicate that it is in programming mode

6. Release the accelerator pedal (keep the clutch held down)
7. Start the car
8. Bring the motor to the desired launch point
9. Release the clutch (make sure tranny is in N).

While in programming mode, whatever RPM you release the clutch at will be stored in the module. 9 steps seems like a lot, but they are all easy, quick steps (and some of them arn't actually steps).

This quick programming feature allows you to adjust the launch point of the two step without touching the control box, without pushing any little buttons, or without counting LED flashes.

It's this type of simplicity that makes this a KPtechnologies module!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:06 AM
KPierson
Banned

The Two Step!

Our approach to the Two Step is, I feel, somewhat unique. Having never actually used a two step I didn't have much to design this off of, but my own ideas.

My primary concern was predictability. When the clutch is pushed down and I floor the pedal I NEED to know my Two Step is going to bail me out and not let my motor rev to 7500+ RPM.

Therefore, as soon as the Two Step engages it provides instant feedback to let you know it is working. Push the clutch in and put the pedal to the ground and the motor responds by SLOWLY climbing to the preset speed.

Once the motor reaches the set speed the Two Step will hold the RPM for as long as you hold the pedal down.

The Two Step will stay engaged until you let the clutch completely out. This will help the driver control tire spin by killing motor power when the wheels start spinning (and the RPM wants to skyrocket). As you work the clutch out the Two Step will stay engaged to provide the power needed to get off the line, but not allow the RPM to rise above the setpoint. Once the clutch is fully released the Two Step will drop out and resume Speed Shifting duty!

Our control theory allows us to successfully Two Step under any circumstance - whether you have stock, balding tires at 2,500 RPM or slicks at 7,000 RPM our system will help get the car off the line faster and consistently.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:46 PM
KPierson
Banned

OK, we now have two modules working perfectly - one in a 2004 built TT G35 and one in a bone stock 2004 Rev up G35.

The two step works perfect in both cars and I actully launched the stock car better then I've ever launched any G35 tonight. No tire spin and no bogging. It was great!

I'm planning on taking the TT car to the track tomorrow night to play with the two step. I'll try to shoot a few videos.

I'm supposed to be installing a speed shift / two step module in a 350Z this weekend, hopefully it will happen.

Total install time on the second one was a little less then two hours. Well over half the time was just getting to the ignition wiring and running the wire in to the cabin. It is very tight and there isn't a lot of room to work.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:44 PM
KPierson
Banned

Quick write up of the installation, I'll add pictures soon:

http://www.kptechnologies.com/forums...6&p=2628#p2628
Old 07-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Weqster

Im ready to put my money down.. hurrryyy
Old 07-17-2008, 02:05 AM
jining

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds hawt Really curious on the 1/4 mile time improvement
Old 07-17-2008, 02:14 PM
merlin3

He's out testing it right now, was supposed to go out but didn't have a chance. I wouldn't expect much from his 1/4 mile times as it's 90 degrees and about 90 percent humidity right now, it's horrible.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:31 AM
KPierson
Banned

Didn't see any improvements from time wise from the module, but did see a great improvement in consistency and ease of launching. I never bogged a launch!

My problem now is that my car isn't set up for drag racing and that's what is killing my 60' time. Even when I would have a nice smooth launch at 3,000RPM as soon as I got to about 4750RPM the wheels would start spinning and I would lose traction at that point.

So, I gained traction and control from the initial launch, but I'm still losing traction at the top of first gear. I am running stock width tires still (I don't really drag the car).

I do need to make one small change to the way the two step disengages to make it a bit easier to use on a high hp car. The current setup worked great on my stock NA G35 but doesn't allow me to launch the higher hp car (500hp).
Old 07-18-2008, 05:10 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great work Kevin!

quick question for you on the 2-step........how long does the module retain the preset 2-step rpm? does it reset everytime the car is turned off? or does it keep it until you change it?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:01 AM
KPierson
Banned

The RPM setpoint is stored in EEProm memory so it retains it until you change it.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Hoooper

started installing yesterday. have all the ECU connections done and the wire in the engine bay split (reconnected because i have to DD the car but at least its been found). also connected several of the relay/solid state wires. should be done later today. my only question is the injector 1 connection. is that supposed to be connected to the injector #1 pin from the ECU or is it something different thats not connected directly to the ECU?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:56 AM
KPierson
Banned

Sorry for not having the actual install guide done yet. I was hoping the quick write up I did would be enough for the testers to at least get started. I keep carving out time to write the manual but other things keep popping up.

The #1 fuel injector is just that - the #1 fuel injector. If you look in the service manual it will call out the correct wire color and ECU pin #.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Hoooper

no problem. i didnt have any other questions really, just wasnt quite sure what the injector callout was for. thats what i figured it was and thats what i tapped so... all i have to do now is connect the last few wires for the relay and such and ill be done, would expect it to take me no more than 15 mins to complete from here on in, wish i was getting home a little sooner so i could do it now, im getting anxious. it was pretty easy to follow the instructions you posted up on that thread, but then again ive already done several wiring jobs and using the FSM to find the desired pins is practically second nature now. ill let you know how it goes later
Old 07-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Hoooper

well ive got it hooked up and working. works pretty well and im pretty impressed. ill post more about it once ive really had a chance to test and check out both features of the module
Old 07-23-2008, 09:13 PM
jining

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Waaaaaaant.... when do you anticipate the final product being for sale, you mentioned a group buy?

Last edited by jining; 07-23-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: First Look - KPtechnologies Speed Shift Module