Kptechnologies - Seat Exit Module - Guaging Interest

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:17 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Kptechnologies - Seat Exit Module - Guaging Interest

Hi,

I messaged KPierson at KPTECH and he said if there was an interest of 20 people or more that they could make a module that would move the seat back when you opened the door. For easy exit and entry.

He said it was one of their original idea's but the repositioning was the hard part and deemed not worthwhile.

He did say he could make a unit that moved the seat back when the door was opened and stayed back for exit and entry. FROM there the driver can readjust the seat fwd to his liking and cruise away?

ANY INTEREST IN A PRODUCT LIKE THAT?

IN OTHER WORDS, NO MATTER WHERE YOUR SEAT IS LOCATED, WHEN DOOR OPENS IT MOVES BACK AN INCH OR SO? MAYBE THAT COULD BE ADJUSTABLE.

KP - CAN YOU ADD A KILL SWITCH ON THIS FEATURE TOO FOR WHEN WE DONT WANT IT TO MOVE BACK? - FOR ME I WOULDNT REQUIRE THAT? JUST ASKING.

WE KNOW KP CAN DO IT AND WE KNOW THEIR PRICING IS ALWAYS REASONABLE.

- J

LIST OF INTERESTED PARTIES:
1. JASON - Z

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 06-13-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:02 AM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you may be on your own for this one. For me it takes a while to find the correct seat position so for it not to move back into the original location would defeat the purpose.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:09 AM
DJ SMITTY
Sponsor
CIN Motorsports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with MR RIZK. Not moving back to the original position completely ruins the idea for me.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:19 AM
sintaxeror

You guys have motorized seats?
Old 06-13-2008, 09:51 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by sintaxeror
yup. some Z models come with motorized seats?

- j
Old 06-13-2008, 02:35 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

if it moved back.. then to the position it was in before.. then yeah i woudl be all for it
Old 06-13-2008, 02:36 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sintaxeror
Z's don't have motorized seats?
Old 06-13-2008, 04:21 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

KP TECH please chime in?

Hey, instead of position sensors and ecoders why cant the module - active when the door opens, just move back a set amount of centimeters/inches? and when the door is closed move forward the same amount of centimeters/inches?

So another words, the driver sets his seat position once! flip a switch to turn on the SEAT MODULE and from that point forward it moves back, say 5 cm and then when the door is closed it moves forward 5 cm?

NO retrofitting any position sensors, etc.

-J
Old 06-16-2008, 05:57 AM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for a motor to move a certain amount there needs to be a counter etc. A timer is not a sufficient counter IMHO as for example the seat will move a greater distance with a lighter person then a heavier person hence why position sensors are used etc.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:22 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by MR RIZK
for a motor to move a certain amount there needs to be a counter etc. A timer is not a sufficient counter IMHO as for example the seat will move a greater distance with a lighter person then a heavier person hence why position sensors are used etc.
OKAY, FAIR ENOUGH. so why not it have its own internal position sensor. or **** on the box/unit itself that you set.

OR

if its on a timer/counter like you saying and its off a tad bit due to a lighter or heavier person, and its a tad bit off, say a 1/4 of an inch off when moved back forward, whats the big deal of tapping the **** on the right and fixing it. besides that, i cant see the unit being that far off if you the driver are the only person driving your car?

dont know about you, but only i drive my car? so if its adjusted to move a set amount and my weight is the only resistance it has? then why not?
-j
Old 06-16-2008, 06:24 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

I think i'm gonna have to put my Engineering degree to work here and have to make this darn thing myself because i haven't gotten ANY response back from KPT on our latest questions of timer control vs seat mounted position sensors.

or now for that matter internal unit position sensors.

- j
Old 06-16-2008, 09:31 AM
lowrider

I'd love something like that on my '03 "G".

Lou
Old 06-16-2008, 10:00 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

I drive with my seat all the way back anyway, so it wouldn't really do anything for me.

I can see how some would like it though...
Old 06-16-2008, 10:35 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^^ You Must Be Tall ^^
Old 06-16-2008, 11:03 AM
KPierson
Banned

Sorry for the delay in responding - I was in a wedding over the weekend in Nashville so my access was limited from last Friday until today. If that wasn't bad enough, my wife managed to lose control of the car on the highway and hit a guardrail. So, a very eventful weekend for me.

A time based method would work with so-so results. The seats move so slowly that if it is off by a small amount you probably wouldn't even notice. The major issue with that is the end of travel people - if the seat hits the end of travel on the way back it won't be able to compensate for that on the way forward.

I've looked at the bottom of these seats and wasn't able to find a "good" way to attach an encoder. We could do limit switches, but they would be near impossible to set as you don't have access to the bottom of these seats while they are in the car.

There are a few options out there, but I'm not sure any of them will provide the "OEM integration" that we strive for.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:11 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's what I do on my G. I set the number "2" seat preset so that the seat is all the way back, and the steering wheel is motorized all the way up and in. then, I program my remote to be the number "2" remote.

therefore, when I get to a destination, I turn off my car, press the "unlock" button on the key fob and the seat slides back while the steering wheel moves up and in towards the dash!

when I get back in my car, I start the car, and then press the "1" seat preset (which is set to my driving position), and the seat and wheel move back to my normal driving position!

It is very easy to do, but it is the onl;y way I figured to accomplish this task on a 6MT G35. The automatic tranny cars have this feature built in.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:12 PM
bluesi808

definetly interested.