New ProEFI Flex Fuel Video MUST SEE

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:54 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1
is that going to be on both units? or just teh 128?

thats very neat!

Yes, you can do it on both units however because the flexfuel sensor has a frequency output and the 48 unit does not have a frequency input, you need to purchase this:

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.htm

This unit converts the frequency output to a linear analog output that the 48 unit can process.

Last edited by SoundPerformance; 01-18-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:59 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
Yes they have and it works perfectly!!

Is there an adapter Harness for the HR yet?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:07 AM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speedsniper
I have a 48pin and a CAN gauge on my Z, the gauge seems to be working find on my car.
From what I know, the CAN gauge is 1/2 functional. It can now READ the settings, but it cannot CHANGE the settings. Maybe this functionality has been updated in the last 2 months or so, but Jason had my car and didn't add it. I am going to drop my car back off to him this week though, so maybe he can get all of this fixed up.

The can guage should work on all 48 units. The WHP and MPG etc features on the can guage are fairly new. You would have to have Jason do a firmware upgrade on your computer for this to become active. How far are you from his shop?
Good to know. I will ask him about adding this functionality. I don't think he's far away. I'll be taking the car either to his shop or his employee's house.

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
what issues are there with the software?
Well my car has been a nightmare from the beginning. Some of the issues have been resolved now. I guess I'll wait for the updates mentioned above before I give an updated list of problems with the software, since some of them may be resolved with the updates.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Blackbird CPV35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
^def a good reason for you to dump that haltech and go ProEFI since all you run is E85. And with the big swings in actually alcohol content, that would make you tune much more safe

Well the cost of the GM Flex Fuel sensor is outrageous, and on top of that I would probably buy the 128

I dont drive my car in the winter so the E85 is pretty consistent during the summer months, i would look into it if I switch between pump gas and E-85 but I don't
Old 01-18-2010, 07:08 PM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by SlideFox
Saaad, the guy who owns the Supra in the video, owns those Valero's!
Yeah, I know Saad. I see him around occassionally. I put him in touch with one of the locations that he bought from one of my customers last year.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:47 AM
350zzzgunnar

Most impressive
Im going for E85 and currently have Haltec, but I'm so impressed that I'm reddy to go for ProEFI. I'm i Sweden so I dont care about emission and my goal is a track day car capable of strret driving. Shooting for +800whp. What do I need 48 or 128 pin and CAN gauge and what more? Bolt on?

EDIT: How is the flexi fuel funtion tuned?, closed loop?, end-user friendly?

Last edited by 350zzzgunnar; 01-19-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:37 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Very cool - that car is setup so nicely. Thanks for sharing the vid.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:27 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by 350zzzgunnar
Most impressive
Im going for E85 and currently have Haltec, but I'm so impressed that I'm reddy to go for ProEFI. I'm i Sweden so I dont care about emission and my goal is a track day car capable of strret driving. Shooting for +800whp. What do I need 48 or 128 pin and CAN gauge and what more? Bolt on?

EDIT: How is the flexi fuel funtion tuned?, closed loop?, end-user friendly?

You can do flex fuel with either unit. If you get the 128 unit, you will get things like dual internal widebands so each bank could be monitored individually. Wheel speed traction control, knock control and many more inputs/outputs.

You can do Drive by wire and the variable cams with either unit.

I always suggest tuning with the car in open loop, then turning it on for minor automatic adjustments .
Old 01-19-2010, 09:24 AM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome work. So with the traction control feature activated you can be the worst driver and still make some really good times down the 1/4 mile. LOL!!!
This must be something that can or will be able to be turned on/off? How else would you heat up the tires with the Traction control feature on all the time?

I want the traction control feature with my tune Larry! Looks incredible!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:27 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Awesome work. So with the traction control feature activated you can be the worst driver and still make some really good times down the 1/4 mile. LOL!!!
This must be something that can or will be able to be turned on/off? How else would you heat up the tires with the Traction control feature on all the time?

I want the traction control feature with my tune Larry! Looks incredible!!!

There is a switch on the dash to turn it on or off!! Also we can hook it up so that if you are on the brake or line lock, it turns off automatically.

You should do the flex fuel on your car Randy and get rid of the Meth kit. Much safer!!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:30 AM
rrmedicx

I would Larry, but the closest E85 station is +30 miles from me.

...EDIT...Just found a station less than 10 miles away. Now i have to research the benefits and prices to converting.
Hate to admit, but I have todo my research on E-85. Most likely I will stick with my current set-up.

Last edited by rrmedicx; 01-19-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:47 AM
350zzzgunnar

You can do flex fuel with either unit. If you get the 128 unit, you will get things like dual internal widebands so each bank could be monitored individually. Wheel speed traction control, knock control and many more inputs/outputs.

You can do Drive by wire and the variable cams with either unit.

I always suggest tuning with the car in open loop, then turning it on for minor automatic adjustments .
Well, I can't tune myself and my tuner have never heard of this system. He is a bit skeptic since he think it might be complicated to tune the flexi function, is it?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:01 AM
mrg1981

Well, I can't tune myself and my tuner have never heard of this system. He is a bit skeptic since he think it might be complicated to tune the flexi function, is it?
If he doesn't know that system, I would not have him try to tune it. Even one of the Pro-EFI dealers and tuners says it is very complicated to tune.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 AM
rrmedicx

Larry needs a vacation with all of the work he has in his shop right now. Maybe he'll make a trip to Sweden? LOL
Hey, you never know.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 AM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Larry needs a vacation with all of the work he has in his shop right now. Maybe he'll make a trip to Sweden? LOL
Hey, you never know.
I'm sure if the price is right, he's right there!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:26 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

There really is no tuning for the flex fuel function. Just turn it on the the ProEFI pretty much does the rest. It is just simple math based on Ethanol content to figure out the required fuel needed. You will need to setup two timing tables, one for pure pump gas and one for pure E85 and then the computer interpolates between the two.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 PM
350zzzgunnar

There really is no tuning for the flex fuel function. Just turn it on the the ProEFI pretty much does the rest. It is just simple math based on Ethanol content to figure out the required fuel needed. You will need to setup two timing tables, one for pure pump gas and one for pure E85 and then the computer interpolates between the two.
Ok so he need to tune twice, one on pure E85 and a seccond on pump gas, right?
He want to do some research about this before he decides. Is there any good links?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:54 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

This is amazing.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:16 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok so he need to tune twice, one on pure E85 and a seccond on pump gas, right?
He want to do some research about this before he decides. Is there any good links?
http://www.proefi.com/

or

http://www.supraforums.com

The reason i put Supra Forums is because a lot of testing was done on the 2JZ-GTE platform. Just search ProEFI, and I'm sure you will find plenty of posts!!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:08 AM
rrmedicx

For those too lazy to click on the link provided above, here is some of the info in that link...which I didn't know...

What's your ethanol percentage?
The ethanol content of E85 fuel can vary from 60% to 92% ethanol. A fill up with E85 can drastically change the mix of fuel in your vehicle. For performance drivers determining actual ethanol content of E85 is essential to maximizing an engine tune and horsepower.

Why know your ethanol percentage?
E85 has the equivalent octane rating of 105 octane gasoline. Higher octane fuel is more resistant to knock allowing for more aggressive ignition timing, higher compression and increased engine power over gasoline itself. The Zeitronix Ethanol Content Analyzer helps you get the most out of your engine and fuel.

Quick Reply: New ProEFI Flex Fuel Video MUST SEE