Notices

How-To Change Your Oil **WITH PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:16 PM
FairladyZ06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How-To Change Your Oil **WITH PICS**

The oil change is very straight forward, no hidden bolts etc. Lets start with the tools you need, thanks to prior DIY's.

TOOLS: 10mm socket, 14mm socket, Oil filter removal tool($3), Socket wrench, 5 Quarts of oil, Nissan drain plug copper gasket($.66), Ramps are optional($30), Oil catch pan, Funnel, Rag(for cleaning up) and ofcourse Common sense(Priceless). *Refer to Image 1, 2*

* If you are doing this at night, you will need a work light. (Image 1A)

Alright lets begin:

STEP 1: REMOVE UNDERBODY DIFFUSER. Some people do this without removing it, I suggest otherwise unless you like oil spilling onto it and clean up more than you have to. The diffuser is very easy to remove, although somewhat annoying because of the 14 bolts. Basically, you want to follow the 10mm bolts around the diffuser til you get all of them off- they should be on snug. (Refer to image 4, 5)

STEP 2: REMOVE DRAIN PLUG. Alright now that you have the diffuser off, you should be able to see everything underneath. Remove the oil cap on your motor before draining oil. You will see the drain plug pretty much directly underneath the filter. Get the oil catch pan ready. Use a 14mm socket to remove this. Once out, you will see a majestic stream of dirty grimy oil come flying out. This will take a few minutes, thankfully my VQ isnt burning oil so I saw most of my oil come back out haha (Refer to image 3)

STEP 3: REMOVE OIL FILTER. Once you get the drain plug out, you can loosen the oil filter by using the oil filter removal tool. If you are using the adjustable one, just get it tight around the filter and slowly loosen it. There will be some oil coming out, so keep the oil catch pan next to you. Once all this is drained out, you are ready to put the drain plug back in. (refer to image 6)

STEP 4: INSTALL DRAIN PLUG AND NEW FILTER. Get the new copper gasket/washer contraption, use 14mm socket to get the plug back on snug, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the bolt. LUBE the new filter around the gasket with some fresh oil. Put the filter on with your hand and get it snug, and give it a 3/4 rotation with the tool. (refer to image 7)

STEP 5: STAND UP AND STRETCH!:icon14: After being in a crouching tiger hidden dragon position, its always good to stretch.

STEP 6: POUR NEW OIL INTO MOTOR. Get your 5 quarts of oil and funnel. Start pouring the oil in. Once thats done, put your oil cap back on.

STEP 7: CHECK YOUR WORK AND TURN CAR ON. Look around make sure you didnt miss anything. Make sure everything is on tight. Turn the car on and check for leaks.

STEP 8: PUT DIFFUSER BACK ON. Reverse directions from STEP 1. Once you have this back on, you are good to go!

Pretty easy install, I did it by myself during my first oil change on the Z , so you can do it too! Obviously I dont take responsibility if something goes wrong, as this is merely a guide to help you.
Attached Thumbnails How-To Change Your Oil **WITH PICS**-tools-1.jpg   How-To Change Your Oil **WITH PICS**-oil-pan-and-light-1a.jpg   How-To Change Your Oil **WITH PICS**-ramp-2.jpg   How-To Change Your Oil **WITH PICS**-drain-plug-3.jpg   How-To Change Your Oil **WITH PICS**-diffuser-4.jpg  

Last edited by FairladyZ06; 04-20-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:21 PM
FairladyZ06

More Images: P.S. Fram is just another way to spell CRAP!!
Attached Thumbnails How-To Change Your Oil **WITH PICS**-bolt-5.jpg   How-To Change Your Oil **WITH PICS**-oil-filter-location-6a.jpg   How-To Change Your Oil **WITH PICS**-oil-filter-6.jpg   How-To Change Your Oil **WITH PICS**-lube-7.jpg  

Last edited by FairladyZ06; 04-20-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:28 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Is that a fram oil filter?!?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess if I was making this guide, it would just be a picture of me pulling into the dealership
Old 04-20-2007, 09:33 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol I didn't know people used Fram filters on Z.

One thing to add, make sure you check the old oil filter to make sure it still has it's gasket on it. If not you'll double up the gaskets when installing the new oil filter. This makes for a nice oil leak.

The flat fram gaskets do this often!
Old 04-21-2007, 01:05 PM
FairladyZ06

Haha yeah thats my buddy's Z and he didnt know how bad FRAM was . I taught him that PureOne is the way to go as I myself learned because of this forum
Old 04-21-2007, 01:13 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
Is that a fram oil filter?!?
uhm, lose the SCAM, I mean FRAM filter next time, !
Old 04-21-2007, 01:16 PM
flynbrin

subscribed
Old 04-21-2007, 06:23 PM
jondimellow

is bosch a good filter for the Z?
Old 04-21-2007, 06:30 PM
drivenCSZ

just did mine today as a matter of fact.

mobile 1 and a M1-108
Old 04-21-2007, 06:37 PM
n8vz

Originally Posted by jondimellow
is bosch a good filter for the Z?
Bosch recently bought Purolater. I think the top of the line Bosch and the top of the line Purolater (PureOne) are identical. I have a PureOne installed on my Z for the past 5K miles and it has worked great. (I used the larger sized PureOne spec'ed for 2001-2004 Maxima and it works fine).

Although, people (bobistheoilguy.com) have complained that quality of PureOne has suffered a bit since they were bought by Bosch. On my next oil change, I am either going to the extra OEM Nissan "larger" size filter or try out WIX/Napa Gold filter(which has really good reviews).
Old 04-22-2007, 04:07 PM
ipodhustle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n8vz
Bosch recently bought Purolater. I think the top of the line Bosch and the top of the line Purolater (PureOne) are identical. I have a PureOne installed on my Z for the past 5K miles and it has worked great. (I used the larger sized PureOne spec'ed for 2001-2004 Maxima and it works fine).

Although, people (bobistheoilguy.com) have complained that quality of PureOne has suffered a bit since they were bought by Bosch. On my next oil change, I am either going to the extra OEM Nissan "larger" size filter or try out WIX/Napa Gold filter(which has really good reviews).

the regular purolator filter and the proline filter (i get it at pep boys) is the same exact filter. i know the purolator pure one filter has better filtering media, but at the sacrifice of having less oil flow ability.
any of you getting the regular purolator filter should get the proline filter; same exact filter..saves you a little bit.
i think i'm gonna try the wix filter next. wix always makes excellent oil filters.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:42 PM
BallZdeepNYC

I always use OEM i didnt know that they had a larger one. What is part # on filter?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:09 PM
n8vz

Originally Posted by SiCKBLaCKMaX99
I always use OEM i didnt know that they had a larger one. What is part # on filter?
15208-9E000

this is what the OEM nissan filter I use and it fits VQ35DE just fine. It is spec'ed for previous generation Pathfinder and the current Titan. It is not a really big filter (about the same size as the OEM toyota filter for 3.3L Camry engine), but just bigger then the super small OEM Nissan filter for 350Z.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:52 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I've used fram filters for over 10 years now, and never had one single leak. Perhaps those doing the oil changes are forgeting to coat the new filter gasket with some oil before they screw it on.

On a different note, I've been brainstorming ways to modify the deflector shield so I can change the oil, in a clean manner, without removing it. My GF's Corolla had a similar problem. I was able to cut the plastic shield under her car with my dremmel. Oil changes are a breeze now. Of course with the Z it's a bit different, considering the deflector actually serves a purpose. I'd hate to compromise the intergrity of why the panel is there or even cut an open hole in it, allowing dirty street water to splash up and dirty my immaculate engine bay.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-29-2007, 08:19 PM
billp

Where do you get rid of your drained oil?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Bevo

Originally Posted by billp
Where do you get rid of your drained oil?
There you go, type in your zipcode and search:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Recycling.aspx
Old 04-29-2007, 10:17 PM
NissanZfan

saved
Old 04-30-2007, 02:49 AM
billp

Thanks, will do
Old 05-01-2007, 09:26 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you do this without removing the diffuser? That seems so annoying if you have to remove it every time you change the oil lol. Ok ok I guess I'll stop being a lazy bum haha

Quick Reply: How-To Change Your Oil **WITH PICS**