Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

Forged Performance: Nismo 350Z TT Completed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:24 PM
nismo53E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually at New River Marine Corps Air Station, near the coast, right next to Camp Lejeune.
Thanks for the comments, I drove it quite a bit more this weekend. It's amazing when I think about the car before. There just isn't any pause getting up to freeway speeds, and beyond if I chose. I can't stress enough how with this kit and flash the car behaves very docile at low rpm and part throttle. I can quite easily cruise around. It just completely changes personality in boost and with more throttle. The BOV's aren't too loud at all, but they do sound great. The power level is indeed awesome on the street. Enough that it can be fun at any moment, but honestly, I don't feel the need to display it really...Just a few short 2nd and 3rd gear pulls and I'm grinning from ear to ear!

The only thing about the car from the outside that is clearly not stock are the brakes. They've gotten some attention already! They really look awesome with the car in person, and the fronts just barely fit inside the OEM 18 inch wheels. I'm not sure that I'll really find out the true potential of the brakes anywhere other than the track. I'm looking forward to some high speed threshold braking, and then I'll be able to post more intelligently about the Stoptechs

I was a little concerned at first with the 3" downpipes, and the loss of certain systems that those entail. I honestly barely notice any of the downsides. There is only a little smell, I haven't noticed much staining on the rear bodywork, no drone, and no CEL's. Overall, very happy I went the route Sharif recommended in that department. I am kind of curious what a true 3" exhaust would do, though! (currently running HKS true dual).

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the overall results. As soon as I have some more free time, I'll get some more pics up, and try to do some vids!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:09 PM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

After having 3" DP's on my last build, the new car will definitely have these. The sounds always brought a smile to my face.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jumpin800agl
After having 3" DP's on my last build, the new car will definitely have these. The sounds always brought a smile to my face.
Yeah, but now you are married with a baby on the way...so it's recirculated DP's for you.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:04 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Yeah, but now you are married with a baby on the way...so it's recirculated DP's for you.
Actually the wife wants them too. She said they make ear plugs to fit babies. I married a winner.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:09 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice build Sharif. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:35 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Sharif, can you PM me some pricing info on what it would take to do a similar setup for my car and how you go about doing it for someone out of state like myself? Thank you!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ best bet
770-792-0202
Old 07-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Sharif, can you PM me some pricing info on what it would take to do a similar setup for my car and how you go about doing it for someone out of state like myself? Thank you!
Taking it to PM..thanks!
Old 07-27-2009, 03:42 PM
nismo53E

Update....

Took the car to the NASA event at VIR this past weekend. Since I haven't yet invested in a trailer and a diesel truck to haul, my only option was to drive the car to the track. I had full faith that this car would do well, and get me back home at the end of the weekend.

It was very, very hot all weekend long and the car held up very well. The morning sessions I was able to push as hard as I wanted without seeing water temps get out of my comfort range. During the middle of the day I did ratchet it down a notch or two as temps did get a little high. Overall, I was very impressed considering the cooling system has only very basic mods and the car is pushing nearly double the stock power! The defi gauges and AEM wideband were very nice to have to monitor things.

This was the first chance to really unleash the potential of the GTM twins. Coming out of both Oak Tree and Hogpen onto the long straights at VIR, the car just lurched forward, climbing well beyong 100mph without even trying. Second and third gears just pull without any hesitation from 3500rpm. Above 5000rpm, things get even more fun all the way to redline! Previously on the street, I had not done any full on WOT runs to redline. Even with my relatively slow exit speeds from the corners, I was able to hit impressive speeds on the straights....more than making up any time I had lost in the corners. Of course, the corner speeds will be dealt with as the handling mods continue!

Overall, I sent a stock Nismo Z to Forged, got back a really fun, fast street car, that I can drive 3.5 hours one way to a track, beat on for 2 days at the track, and then drive home....worry free. You can have supercar performance and reliability!
Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by nismo53E
Update....

Took the car to the NASA event at VIR this past weekend. Since I haven't yet invested in a trailer and a diesel truck to haul, my only option was to drive the car to the track. I had full faith that this car would do well, and get me back home at the end of the weekend.

It was very, very hot all weekend long and the car held up very well. The morning sessions I was able to push as hard as I wanted without seeing water temps get out of my comfort range. During the middle of the day I did ratchet it down a notch or two as temps did get a little high. Overall, I was very impressed considering the cooling system has only very basic mods and the car is pushing nearly double the stock power! The defi gauges and AEM wideband were very nice to have to monitor things.

This was the first chance to really unleash the potential of the GTM twins. Coming out of both Oak Tree and Hogpen onto the long straights at VIR, the car just lurched forward, climbing well beyong 100mph without even trying. Second and third gears just pull without any hesitation from 3500rpm. Above 5000rpm, things get even more fun all the way to redline! Previously on the street, I had not done any full on WOT runs to redline. Even with my relatively slow exit speeds from the corners, I was able to hit impressive speeds on the straights....more than making up any time I had lost in the corners. Of course, the corner speeds will be dealt with as the handling mods continue!

Overall, I sent a stock Nismo Z to Forged, got back a really fun, fast street car, that I can drive 3.5 hours one way to a track, beat on for 2 days at the track, and then drive home....worry free. You can have supercar performance and reliability!
Very good to hear! VIR is a blast of a track, and I am sure you had a great time. There are 3 sections that are super fast, which keeps the fun factor way up.

Did you happen to catch your speed at the end of the back straight?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Goku350z2007

stupid question, is the engine stock?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:20 PM
nismo53E

stock internals. very conservative boost.

Sharif, the first session was very mellow, just learning the line, second session a little more free....the third session i hit it hard, on the back straight i did note the speed, a touch over 140, but i let off at that point well before the braking zone going in to 14/14a. i actually let off as i began up the hill just prior to the braking zone (hottest part of the day and water temp was getting high). had i stayed WOT up the hill and all the way to the 4 board...hmm. maybe low/mid 150 range?

i never noted the front straight speed. i was taking it a little easier there anyways...the kink can be intimidating on stock tires over 120mph lol.

maybe i am imagining things, but people hanging out on the grid seemed to turn their heads as i exited hogpen and the dumps opened up....lol the other cars in my group were pretty tame, and here mine came, screaming....loved that part!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

stock internals. very conservative boost.

Sharif, the first session was very mellow, just learning the line, second session a little more free....the third session i hit it hard, on the back straight i did note the speed, a touch over 140, but i let off at that point well before the braking zone going in to 14/14a. i actually let off as i began up the hill just prior to the braking zone (hottest part of the day and water temp was getting high). had i stayed WOT up the hill and all the way to the 4 board...hmm. maybe low/mid 150 range?

i never noted the front straight speed. i was taking it a little easier there anyways...the kink can be intimidating on stock tires over 120mph lol.

maybe i am imagining things, but people hanging out on the grid seemed to turn their heads as i exited hogpen and the dumps opened up....lol the other cars in my group were pretty tame, and here mine came, screaming....loved that part!

Very good speeds....I completely forgot about the stock wheels and tires. Must have been a bit of a handfull, I imagine.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:46 PM
nismo53E

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Very good speeds....I completely forgot about the stock wheels and tires. Must have been a bit of a handfull, I imagine.
Hmm...lets just say that I "explored" the temperature limits of the venerable Bridgestone RE050....lol.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:09 PM
ryanschram

Sharif, can you PM me some pricing info on what it would take to do a similar setup for my car and how you go about doing it for someone out of state like myself? I know I copied this, but I too am very interested.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:04 PM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Sounds like you had fun on the track. I drove my stock block TT all over the place. It made several long distance trips without issues. What kind of cooling mods do you have?
Old 07-28-2009, 04:10 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

The RE050s aren't that bad on the track for a street tire. They were a bit better than my KDW2s were.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:24 AM
HKYStormFront

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm...lets just say that I "explored" the temperature limits of the venerable Bridgestone RE050....lol.
lol!! sounds like a fun track day, was anyone out there taking pics?
Old 07-28-2009, 03:50 PM
nismo53E

Originally Posted by jumpin800agl
Sounds like you had fun on the track. I drove my stock block TT all over the place. It made several long distance trips without issues. What kind of cooling mods do you have?
yeah, that's the thing I love about this setup from Forged/GTM. very reliable and liveable on the street, and really fun on the track. The only cooling mods I have are samco hoses, and evans NPG. As I continue to track it, I'll definitely need some additional help in that department. I'm thinking switch the thermostat, if there is a better radiator that will fit, that too. Since I'm new to FI, i'd definitely love to hear your inputs on any other ideas to keep things cool.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:54 PM
nismo53E

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
The RE050s aren't that bad on the track for a street tire. They were a bit better than my KDW2s were.
the grip was pretty decent i will say. the main issue was heat in the tires. they got pretty greasy after 2 laps, and i could really feel them sliding around. Not to mention if i got WOT in second, they just break loose...hehe.

Quick Reply: Forged Performance: Nismo 350Z TT Completed!