Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

Lethal Injection: 05blakz33's Rb26 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 02:00 PM
05blakz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cc1012
Nice build..... RB is meant for boost. If done right youll prob have a more reliable car then someone with a built VQ and twins.
Since this will be my daily driver that is the plan
Old 09-21-2009, 08:57 PM
drkz33

Loving the write up and pics. Looks like you guys have been making good progress and everything is looking good. Best of luck to getting it running soon and driving it to work or using it as your grocery getter...lol
Old 09-21-2009, 09:11 PM
rogueeg6

this is sick, me and a friend have a spare Z body. might have to look into something like this
Old 09-22-2009, 02:03 AM
05blakz33

Originally Posted by drkz33
Loving the write up and pics. Looks like you guys have been making good progress and everything is looking good. Best of luck to getting it running soon and driving it to work or using it as your grocery getter...lol
haha ya, Drive Shaft came in today , fit perfectly , now im just waiting on my slim fans that come in today and a new shifter next door at the machine shop
Old 09-22-2009, 02:13 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

should be an interesting build. Nice to see some other stuff coming out of Atlanta area also.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:58 PM
sanders711

very nice!
Old 09-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Coffeemaster
Banned

Why would you put a 800lb engine in place of the VQ when you could of just done a LSx swap?

JDM tyte right? Have fun with your weight distribution.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:44 PM
05blakz33

Originally Posted by Snowy350z
Why would you put a 800lb engine in place of the VQ when you could of just done a LSx swap?

JDM tyte right? Have fun with your weight distribution.
Because it wasnt what i wanted and we weighed the motor side by side it was like 130lb difference after all the unneeded material was machined off. JDM tyte..? Why would i care if it was JDM lol, Isnt a Japanese car JDM as is? If i cared what people though about id listen to people like you and get an LSx swap
Old 09-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Coffeemaster
Banned

130lb difference? Really? The Crate VQ weighs 313lbs, a crate RB26 weighs 540~lbs or so. Granted its not the 800lbs I stated (I was including transmission) its still quite a bit heavier then a regular VQ, and much longer.

I'm wondering why you went with a RB instead of something else, and what your reasoning was, and most of the replies I get is because its "JDM".

In all honesty, it seems like its just an old cast iron engine that people think is legendary because it was used in an old skyline. Yeah, you can make power with them, but the cost of entry, cost of parts, and the cost to maintain, its not a very good engine in comparison to a LSx.

Last edited by Coffeemaster; 09-28-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 PM
S12 driver

The RB is a motor designed for boost from the factory, and it's pretty overbuilt. The VQ is more efficient but definitely not as overbuilt. You see a lot of stock internal boosted VQ blowing up with only low 400whp, the RB26 should be able to take a lot more.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Zexy

Originally Posted by S12 driver
The RB is a motor designed for boost from the factory, and it's pretty overbuilt. The VQ is more efficient but definitely not as overbuilt. You see a lot of stock internal boosted VQ blowing up with only low 400whp, the RB26 should be able to take a lot more.
LOL completely ignorant statement. Ask a real knowledgeable skyline person about this. They will tell you otherwise. Been there, done that to an extent and spent $ for it.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:40 PM
05blakz33

130lb difference? Really? The Crate VQ weighs 313lbs, a crate RB26 weighs 540~lbs or so. Granted its not the 800lbs I stated (I was including transmission) its still quite a bit heavier then a regular VQ, and much longer.

I'm wondering why you went with a RB instead of something else, and what your reasoning was, and most of the replies I get is because its "JDM".

In all honesty, it seems like its just an old cast iron engine that people think is legendary because it was used in an old skyline. Yeah, you can make power with them, but the cost of entry, cost of parts, and the cost to maintain, its not a very good engine in comparison to a LSx.
Yes really. Cutting off the front diff for the RB26 + stronger / lighter custom sub-frame, all other mounts /supports and shaving off material here and there adds up. Not to mentioned the intercooler makes up part of my core support so it helps with the weight difference up front. As for it being much longer thats BS the motor sits in the engine bay perfectly with out having to mod the fire wall and still leaves 2" clearance before fitting the fan shroud.. it also sits a lot lower then the VQ. The reason i went with the RB is because in my personal opinion the power band on the VQ was too short i wasn't fond of the gearing and in all honesty i like the way an RB drives over the VQ not to mention i got an amazing deal on the swap... I could care less if something is JDM.

As for the old cast iron engine that's an opinion and you are more then entitled to it But as for me i rather use an engine that was meant for boost with out having to drop the same amount of cash i payed for my swap to build a motor that i wasnt very fond of. The motor is expensive for a reason and its more then just an opinion

Last edited by 05blakz33; 09-29-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:33 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05blakz33
Yes really. Cutting off the front diff for the RB26 + stronger / lighter custom sub-frame, all other mounts /supports and shaving off material here and there adds up. Not to mentioned the intercooler makes up part of my core support so it helps with the weight difference up front. As for it being much longer thats BS the motor sits in the engine bay perfectly with out having to mod the fire wall and still leaves 2" clearance before fitting the fan shroud.. it also sits a lot lower then the VQ. The reason i went with the RB is because in my personal opinion the power band on the VQ was too short i wasn't fond of the gearing and in all honesty i like the way an RB drives over the VQ not to mention i got an amazing deal on the swap... I could care less if something is JDM.

As for the old cast iron engine that's an opinion and you are more then entitled to it But as for me i rather use an engine that was meant for boost with out having to drop the same amount of cash i payed for my swap to build a motor that i wasnt very fond of. The motor is expensive for a reason and its more then just an opinion
+1 I agree.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Coffeemaster
Banned

Originally Posted by 05blakz33

Thank you for having an actual reason rather then being some jackass that went with it because someone told them to. I wholeheartedly agree that the VQ band is garbage and in general is a waste of time/money/effort to mod. Forgive me for jumping to conclusions when I saw someone else doing yet another RB swap.

I agree that the RB is a better engine then the VQ, but I don't think its any better then a LS engine,

Pics of the engine bay, tell me what you did to the bay too. From the swaps I had seen they mount it fairly high up and it sits quite a bit over the front support.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:32 PM
05blakz33

Thank you for having an actual reason rather then being some jackass that went with it because someone told them to. I wholeheartedly agree that the VQ band is garbage and in general is a waste of time/money/effort to mod. Forgive me for jumping to conclusions when I saw someone else doing yet another RB swap.

I agree that the RB is a better engine then the VQ, but I don't think its any better then a LS engine,

Pics of the engine bay, tell me what you did to the bay too. From the swaps I had seen they mount it fairly high up and it sits quite a bit over the front support.
Its no problem and dont get me wrong, the LS is an awesome motor! I have a friend that has it in a civic catch and a few in a 240 (s13 & s14 ) for instant power the motor is great but i like boost better and for a daily driver the RB is more then enough. I also know what u mean about the JDM thing. It seems like every forum i the subject of an rb26 in a 350z is always brought up then dies down after no one ever goes through with it. I did manage to talk to a few of the shops in the US that have done it in a G35 and 1 in a 350z ( actually completed and running of cores ) and some did pointless things like cut off the whole front end even tho the stock one bolts off and didn't sit the engine low enough because they decided to keep the sub frame and just make mounts. When you look at the motor head on it looks like the hood will hit it but once you place the strut bar on you can clearly see it sits lower then the VQ.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Andrei

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Lawrenceville GA. Let me come by and get some pics and vids some time this week??? PM sent.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:58 AM
05blakz33

Originally Posted by Andrei
I'm in Lawrenceville GA. Let me come by and get some pics and vids some time this week??? PM sent.
replied
Old 09-30-2009, 06:17 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok now, get this done. I am tired of waiting

Any clue when she will finished up?
Old 09-30-2009, 12:35 PM
05blakz33

Originally Posted by CRIDDA
Ok now, get this done. I am tired of waiting

Any clue when she will finished up?
Before the 14th
Old 10-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Chomorro

Wow nice stuff, i wonder how this would compare with a 2jz swap in price and driveability.

Good job

Quick Reply: Lethal Injection: 05blakz33's Rb26 Swap