Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

2010 370Z Nismo Twin Turbo build courtesy of GTM

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 05:42 AM
stormcrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 370Z Nismo Twin Turbo build courtesy of GTM

This being the fifth ‘project’ car that I have modified in the past 3.5 years, I wanted to balance cost with performance; a task that has, so far, been very elusive and has taken me a while to figure out. I admit that over the past few years I have bought into a lot of the hype and spent a lot of unnecessary money in the process. Some monies spent were good ‘insurance’ while others were an utter waste. But, this time, I vowed to have the safest build possible while being the most fiscally conservative. Luckily, advances in technology of the VQ platform and some well thought out planning will allow me to reach my goal.

In the past I have turned to tuner shops and the forums to give me the answers that I seek. While these resources have been good, I have found that there is a lot of misinformation floating around and that the almighty dollar is what the modification game is mostly about. These days I tend to build off of my own past experiences as well as (and most importantly) the experiences of others.

So where to start? How does one come to decide on what type of Forced Induction to purchase? Should I go turbo? Supercharger? Which kit? What support mods do I need? Who should do the install/tune? (if not myself as a DIY project) As usual, these are the top tier questions that I struggled with. For me, due to my past experiences, some of the questions were easily answered. Twin turbo is the only way for me. I have purchased two supercharger kits in the past and have been disappointed with both. The linear torque of the supercharger is just too mild for my tastes. I have tried both centrifugal and roots types. Neither produced the torque or power I desired.

Ok, so twin turbo it is. Now, which kit? There are currently three competing kits. One has been out on the market for a short period of time and is only sold in-house (AAM), one has been out for a bit longer and has a bit more press (GTM) and one has just recently been released (GReddy). All of these kits look very promising and are from reputable manufacturers. All seem to be scalable and perform the same when simply bolted on. Comparing apples to apples, I chose the GTM kit over the AAM and GReddy. Why? Here are my reasons:

1. GOALS - I set my power goals at a maximum of 450-475 to the wheel. Though the GTM kit is scalable from 400 to over 1000whp with the Stage 2 through Stage 6 kits, I have found that anything over 450-500whp is a pure waste on the street. Traction issues keep the car slower out of the hole and cause drivability issues that I no longer want. As the street is where I do 100% of my driving, I have no need for anything more than a Stage 2 setup and 475whp. The GTM kit easily met my power goals.

2. QUALITY – There is no doubt that all three kits are of great quality. Some more so than others, of course, but nonetheless, they will all get the job done. The GTM and GReddy kits are both spectacularly designed with what surely looks to be a lot of thought and engineering behind them. The only concern I had with the GTM kit was the spacing of the power train that has to happen. But, I have researched and put my concerns to rest over this issue as it is a moot point and does not affect drivability or functionality of the car in any form or fashion. The down-side to the GReddy kit is the known issue of manifolds cracking which can be a great headache to repair. That and the lesser quality turbos. (IHI vs. Garrett)

3. OPTIONS – As trivial as this might be, for me, I prefer having options for detail items when purchasing a kit. Over the past few years I have learned that unless a manufacturer can cater to my ****-retentiveness and provide a “one stop shop” for all that I need, I will look elsewhere. The fact that I have options with the GTM kit such as black couplers, choice of polished or powder coated piping, choice of polished or thermo-coated intercooler, and optional ceramicoated manifolds and turbo exhaust housings, all at a reasonable cost, was just one more small detail that led me to choose the GTM kit.

4. ENGINEERING – One key factor for me is longevity of the kit that I purchase. A lot of parts are static and do not wear, so with every kit I have researched, these items are seemingly equal when it comes to predicted life-span. But, the major components – the turbos – are what interested me the most and certainly, in this regard, not all are created equal. The GTM kit uses Garrett ball-bearing, water-cooled turbos while the GReddy kit uses journal bearing, oil-cooled turbos. Given that the 370Z is plagued by oil temperature issues, one would think that the oil-cooled turbos would not be a considerable option. GReddy seemingly addresses this with a larger capacity oil pan and optional oil cooler, but I was (am) not convinced this would alleviate the faster degradation of the turbos that will certainly happen without these items.

So now that I had decided what type and which kit, I needed to decide what support mods to purchase. In the past I went all out and bought the best of everything because A) I was told it was what I needed and B) I fell for the hype over particular brands and parts. This time, I decided to approach things a bit differently. I wanted to see what I could actually achieve safely while being cost conscious. So, I spoke with quite a number of tuners/shop owners/vendors/manufacturers and came to the general consensus that for my goals I didn’t need to get fancy. An oil-cooler for the hot GA days, a nice open exhaust including test pipes, larger injectors, an upgraded fuel pump and some colder plugs were all that I needed. I opted to add an AFR gauge, boost gauge, powder-coated piping, thermo-coated intercooler and ceramicoated exhaust manifolds and hot side turbine housings/flanges.

This leads me to the ‘who’ and ‘where’ portion of my decision. In the past I have relied on one company to do all of my work. Over the years I have trusted the shop owner’s advice implicitly. But after a few conversations with him and feeling that I was being steered towards an option that I didn’t feel comfortable with (GReddy kit), I decided to venture out and directly to the source of the kit I had chosen.

After speaking with Sam I came away with the impression that he really knows his stuff and that my car would be in excellent hands. All of my questions, concerns and thoughts were addressed in a thorough and detailed manner. I could tell that he is a busy guy as we were constantly interrupted by his workers asking him questions or clients walking in the door, but never once did he lose train of thought or overlook any of my inquiries. This made me very comfortable as I am an extreme stickler for detail and I could see the same in Sam, even while under duress. He was also very open and took no offense to my probing questions. His level of transparency satisfied my need to know exactly what I was getting myself into and who I would be spending my hard-earned money with.

So this will be my official “build thread”. Any and all questions are welcome. Here are a few pictures to start as well as a video of the first tuning session. For those of you who want to see more of GTM and the shop, click on the second video link. Enjoy!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  104.2 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 4823
Size:  103.6 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  125.5 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  134.9 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  131.4 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  105.0 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  100.6 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  62.2 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 1945
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  61.4 KB

Notice 479whp on 7psi springs! 8.6psi yielded 518whp which is well over my goal of 450-475whp!

[youtube]YaRsSJc_9ZE&feature=channel[/youtube]

Last edited by stormcrow; 05-04-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:53 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:55 AM
Shizzmaster2k

Terrific numbers and an even more beautiful 370z. Congrats!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 AM
adamciya350

That's Bada$s!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:20 AM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Shizzmaster2k
Terrific numbers and an even more beautiful 370z. Congrats!
+1

Nice!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:23 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice, congrats on the new toy
Old 05-04-2010, 07:25 AM
DemitriHKS

wow that is an amazing car from every aspect. Must be a total blast to drive around.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:35 AM
BornSlippyZ

Nice write up Op, and of course nice Nismo!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:45 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice Jeremy, I had no idea you had a Nismo Z34.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:55 AM
aarantes

That car is sick I love the stock look with everything being black!

So since your down the street from me any chance of a ride in it
Old 05-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

beautiful car, beautiful build
Old 05-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Is the stage 2 the reason for the low torque and high hp? I personally feel that the low torque will add in the longevity of the stock motor for sure..
Old 05-04-2010, 08:49 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats a function of that motor. none of those 3.7s make the torque the DEs did
Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 AM
temoku

I would rather have that Z than a GT-R, so sexy!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:44 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Steathly done...beautiful Z.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
thats a function of that motor. none of those 3.7s make the torque the DEs did
Gotcha i know that early Z's like 04 DE's make the most torque but usually you don't see that huge of a difference between the 2 on boosted Stock motors. I personally like it. Has to be a combo of specific turbo and the intake and newer head design on the 3.7's. Either way looks like it would be a blast on the Highway..
Old 05-04-2010, 09:57 AM
jtabraham

Awesome build.

Do you still have your red Z? I think I see you periodically in Roswell (I live off of Houze Rd).
Old 05-04-2010, 10:18 AM
stormcrow

Thanks for all of the compliments, guys! I am glad that you can appreciate my tastes. I know modification is so subjective and based on personal tastes, but it seems I have the same taste as most of you.

Originally Posted by aarantes
That car is sick I love the stock look with everything being black!

So since your down the street from me any chance of a ride in it
Alex, you are more than welcome to have a ride. I'm sure we'll see one another at a meet soon.

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
Is the stage 2 the reason for the low torque and high hp? I personally feel that the low torque will add in the longevity of the stock motor for sure..
There are two reasons for the low torque. 1) As str8dum1 said, the stroked 3.7l delivers less torque due to it being a stroked 3.5l motor. 2) I went with internal wastegates on this setup. Couple that with my larger exhaust, and I'm getting quick enough spool, but lesser torque than I would with the external setup.

Originally Posted by jtabraham
Awesome build.

Do you still have your red Z? I think I see you periodically in Roswell (I live off of Houze Rd).
I sold the red Z a few years back. A really good guy by the name of Adam purchased it. She's got a great new home now.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 AM
TheOtherRob

If I could have done it all over again this is the route I would have taken. Congrats on the awesome build!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

You have inspired me to PC my piping when the new kit gets here

Quick Reply: 2010 370Z Nismo Twin Turbo build courtesy of GTM