Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

Mofab llc 03' 350z build

Old 10-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Mofab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mofab llc 03' 350z build w pics and dyno sheet!!!!

OK guys first off i would like to say hello, My Name is Scott Molitor owner of Mofab llc in Centennial CO. I'm new to the board.MY typical builds consist of highly tuned subaru's one of which was just featured in the october issue of modified magazine, some cool 2jz builds cages ect(mostly custom Forced induction setups). My customer wanted more power and response from his car and i told him we could get there just not with the current setup. The current setup had little to no heat management under the hood so IAT were a huge issue as with any pedestal mounted turbo where a cold charge pipe runs over a hot turbo manifold setup. I wanted to wrap anything that i could but still maintain a clean look. As far as the turbo chosen, I talked to him about the benefits of the newer Garrett GTX turbo's and how much more efficiently they move air as apposed to the old 60-1 turbonetics ****, he wanted to pull the trigger.
My build consisted of a GTX 35R Tial ss housing 102A/R, Tial 38mm MVS wastegate, 321ss 2.5" up pipe,3" 304 ss down pipe Koyo Radiator Mishimoto fans, DEI heat protection K&N filter 2.5" hot side i/c pipe 3" cold side i/c pipe and an HKS BOV. All the connections on the kit are V banded
Here goes
03 350z currently has a built motor done by another shop. TC performance in denver. I dont know whats inside but i do know the compression has been dropped to the 8.5:1 range :-( rods nismo cams arp head studs ect.
Car came to me w a turbonetics turbo kit, full fuel system RC 750cc injectors walbro pump, aeromotive FPR.
on e85 the car laid down roughly 450whp on low boost of which i cant recall but i will find out. The car came from mac autosport in Parker CO

Heres how she looked when she came in.

The turbonetics kit is ok for a stock car but i wanted to offer something with updated technology and better design.

I started where the turbonetics kit brings the two banks together and worked from there with 321 ss and bumped the size from 2.0" to 2.5" I back purged the whole up pipe.

Clearly 2.5" is a little more than i bargained for. What a challenge it was to fit through the engine compartment. These pics are before the waste gate provision.

Here is where the Turbo now resides

I heat wrapped the drivers manifold and any other components close to heat including the the cross over pipe, up pipe and down pipe.

The down pipe is 304ss 3". I made the part in two sections for obvious installation reasons.The halves split right were the steering shaft comes through the compartment.

Here are the pipes all welded up. Cleaned and ready to heat wrap.

The DEI titanium wrap looks real clean And keeps underhood temps on these cars down,

Last edited by Mofab; 10-27-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:17 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good so far. the rear piping was the major downfall of the tn kit, it was too restrictive! in for final numbers, and a graph, etc
Old 10-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Mofab

After getting the exhaust side completed it was time to lay out the new intercooler and plumbing. I took off the old spearco core which was roughly 8X24X3.5 and swapped it for a taller thinner one measuring 11X24X3. The core has end tanks with 2.75" outlets

Here is the hot side pipe for the core, i didnt need to modify this pipe at all it fit right up.

The cold side was another story, i wanted to bump up the pipe diameter from the TN kit of 2.5/3.0 to basically all 3" pipe

here is the small section of 2.75" right off the cold side, i bumped it up after the first bend to 3.0"

Old 10-25-2011, 06:09 PM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welding skills sick... interesting work.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Mofab

Thanks For the props

Here is the waste gate provision.

Heres the mock up on the I/C pipes

I wanted to keep the pipe as far away from the turbine side as possible without hitting the hood, but still maintain a good fit and finish

Last edited by Mofab; 10-26-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Mofab

In house powder coating wrinkle black

Off to the dyno to tune tomorrow ill post up more pics and dyno sheets!!!!!!!

Last edited by Mofab; 10-26-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Mofab

Almost forgot about the coolant bottle i had to make.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Mofab

16psi E85 w 750cc RC injectors maxed out.......Not bad for first timer...Ill be back with more fuel and see what she'll do.
We pulled timing out because of the lack of fuel around 18deg
Old 10-27-2011, 04:17 PM
steven350

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

wow!!!! nice!!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Mofab

http://youtu.be/AmdRKTTiU_A
Old 10-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Mofab

http://youtu.be/r9od_I_DU3k
Old 10-27-2011, 05:45 PM
iamgus_gus

awesome numbers
Old 10-27-2011, 09:30 PM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Are you going to be producing and selling these kits or are they just one offs?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:07 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFMike
+1. Very nice work...

Chris
Old 10-30-2011, 05:02 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW... Almost 600whp on E85 with one 255lph Walbro and 750cc injectors!?!? I didn't think it was possible to get that much power with E85 on a single Walbro OR with 750cc injectors.

Does this setup have the stock exhaust manifolds or aftermarket headers?
Old 10-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn.

I was going to have Mac Auto do my tuning.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Mofab

Originally Posted by WTFMike
Not planning on it unless there is significant interest,because with so many other kits being manufactured already. I didnt do any tool making while building this one off kit but i could easily re produce it again. I suppose I would but it would be build on the car in the shop.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Mofab

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
WOW... Almost 600whp on E85 with one 255lph Walbro and 750cc injectors!?!? I didn't think it was possible to get that much power with E85 on a single Walbro OR with 750cc injectors.

Does this setup have the stock exhaust manifolds or aftermarket headers?
I did the math using garrett turbo's formulas and figured out a little over 600whp on pump gas @ 19psi boost @ sea level on a stock compression, At our altitude plus lowed compression plus E85 that math came pretty close. Like i said they were maxed 100% duty cycle, i dont like seeing that, usually 80% is as high as i like to see so My tuner pulled out a bunch of timing to be safe, We are going to throw in one of the new aeromotive 340 stealth pumps and play with fuel pressures, I Would like to see the customer switch to the ID 880s and do a Pump as well as hard wire direct batt voltage to be safe get the duty cycles lower put the timming back in and hit 600 at same boost.

The car has stock manifolds 3" magnaflow exhaust & 7 heat range plugs gaped at .025 with no spark blow out. I almost forgot the car does have an aftermarket cast plenum of larger size, not too nissan parts savy to tell who made it but yea. Thanks for the compliments everyone,
Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Mofab

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
Damn.

I was going to have Mac Auto do my tuning.
I Used to work for them........7 years i was the head fabricator there, i left this past november/december to start my own business.

Nick there tuner and one of my close friends is the best in colorado in my opinion, Even tho I parted ways, I still take my own customers there to have him tune my/their projects. I
Old 10-30-2011, 10:55 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mofab
I did the math using garrett turbo's formulas and figured out a little over 600whp on pump gas @ 19psi boost @ sea level on a stock compression, At our altitude plus lowed compression plus E85 that math came pretty close. Like i said they were maxed 100% duty cycle, i dont like seeing that, usually 80% is as high as i like to see so My tuner pulled out a bunch of timing to be safe, We are going to throw in one of the new aeromotive 340 stealth pumps and play with fuel pressures, I Would like to see the customer switch to the ID 880s and do a Pump as well as hard wire direct batt voltage to be safe get the duty cycles lower put the timming back in and hit 600 at same boost.

The car has stock manifolds 3" magnaflow exhaust & 7 heat range plugs gaped at .025 with no spark blow out. I almost forgot the car does have an aftermarket cast plenum of larger size, not too nissan parts savy to tell who made it but yea. Thanks for the compliments everyone,
Very interesting. What were the raw numbers without altitude correction? I ask because we've seen some pretty crazy altitude corrections out of Colorado in the past on this forum that seemed pretty far fetched.

If your altitude adjustments are within reason... Albeit with different fuels (E85 instead of C16) and smaller capacity fuel system, your results power wise are similar to what PowerLab & Intense achieved with their GT35R kit and stock exhaust manifolds. A rival manufacturer, Boosted Performance, couldn't achieve similar results with his kit on stock manifolds and subsequently resorted to a smear campaign in which he insinuated that PowerLab lied about their results with stock manifolds. Boosted Performance insists that a T4 turbine housing and aftermarket headers are necessary to make anything close to 600whp.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 11-01-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mofab llc 03' 350z build