Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

GTM: never too late for another SC kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 AM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TWINEMINDER
I hear ya. I just assumed when I saw "Turn Key" kits, especially outfitted with a basic fuel systen...the parts of which usually already exist on any built DE, the intentions were for at least the stage one to be bolted on to a stock DE...with room to grow of course. I do think it is somewhat misleading how they list the HP ratings of the kits but I suppose anyone savvy in the FI game will understand the difference between expected HP and maximum potential HP.
Not trying to justify the decision i made to go with this kit but here is my thoughts on this.

Adding boost with this new kit isn't any different then any other kit on a stock block. The kit is more expensive up front then compared to a vortech (for example) but it is more complete and comes with a few extra things. As for the fueling, anyone with a vortech on stock block that wants it to run well have upgraded their fueling and tune. Here is a small comparison I made a while back for the benefit of the community from what I have learned from research and discussions, https://my350z.com/forum/9645201-post37.html

Last edited by gabe3d; 09-24-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:13 AM
TWINEMINDER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Not trying to justify the decision i made to go with this kit but here is my thoughts on this.

Adding boost with this new kit isn't any different then any other kit on a stock block. The kit is more expensive up front then compared to a vortech (for example) but it is more complete and comes with a few extra things. As for the fueling, anyone with a vortech on stock block that wants it to run well have upgraded their fueling and tune. Here is a small comparison I made a while back for the benefit of the community from what I have learned from research and discussions, https://my350z.com/forum/9645201-post37.html
I'm in complete agreement! Sorry if I came off to the contrary....I was just touching on classy's point for tempering "out of the box" expectations of HP for a stock DE. I would buy this kit in a heartbeat over the Vortech...The blower placement and belt design alone are worth the price of admission. No justification needed.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm in complete agreement! Sorry if I came off to the contrary....I was just touching on classy's point for tempering "out of the box" expectations of HP for a stock DE. I would buy this kit in a heartbeat over the Vortech...The blower placement and belt design alone are worth the price of admission. No justification needed.
Not to mention the blower isn't loud at all... Most people don't know I'm boosting while cursing or at idle.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:51 AM
TWINEMINDER

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Not to mention the blower isn't loud at all... Most people don't know I'm boosting while cursing or at idle.
No sense in swearing up a storm in a fit of road rage and people can't hear you over your blower
Old 11-12-2012, 05:29 PM
350zhp306

Any new updates? Did Gtm install the smaller pulley?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 AM
ColecatZ

Did I miss a product announcement or do the old DE guys not get those anymore. :\

Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 AM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by 350zhp306
Any new updates? Did Gtm install the smaller pulley?
Originally Posted by ColecatZ
Did I miss a product announcement or do the old DE guys not get those anymore. :\

Sorry for the lack of update. Car is still getting worked on still.

No you didn't miss the product announcement. I'm sure it'll come out when the kit is perfected, hopefully in time for the holidays.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Elperuano

Do you have your car in your possession yet?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:27 PM
ogiehooker

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Delivery date

wow gabe..i remeber speaking with you the very first of the year when both our cars were there....GTM still hasn't finished yet? 1 year to install a blower? ...good luck bro....
Old 11-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Elperuano

Originally Posted by ogiehooker
wow gabe..i remeber speaking with you the very first of the year when both our cars were there....GTM still hasn't finished yet? 1 year to install a blower? ...good luck bro....
Has to be some kind of mistake, OP u did get ur car back in between some of that time frame right??? U had to have ur car back in ur possession somewhere in between that and then sent it back to them right?
Old 11-30-2012, 03:49 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by ogiehooker
Thanks for the good wishes, i hope you and your car are doing well.

Originally Posted by Elperuano
Has to be some kind of mistake, OP u did get ur car back in between some of that time frame right??? U had to have ur car back in ur possession somewhere in between that and then sent it back to them right?
No it is not a mistake. The combination of my car being highly modified prior and the kit being new to the platform introduced a lot of variables that were unforeseen. However I'm keeping my chin up and will hopefully be able to post so good stuff for you guys soon. BTW, i've noticed you are on the-370z, do you have a GTM SC on your G37?

Last edited by gabe3d; 11-30-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:04 PM
jomamahama

OP if you don't get on people's asses things don't get done. I wonder how many assertive customers got GTM to do the work faster on their projects while yours sat there untouched. Squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:31 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by jomamahama
OP if you don't get on people's asses things don't get done. I wonder how many assertive customers got GTM to do the work faster on their projects while yours sat there untouched. Squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Trust me I am in contact with them a few times a week about the delays and progress to make sure things are cruising along. Not to say that i am ok with it taking longer than what originally planned and I assure you that GTM knows it. Sure, there are things that could have been handled better from both sides but to expect things to flow close to flawless is dreaming.

From the outside looking in, I can see how some people might think it is ridiculous that it is taking this long but for those who have experience in engaging shops to do extensive custom work can feel and understand e pain. It is not as simple as slapping on an out of the box proven kit. Hopefully I don't sound like I am justifying myself, I am being a realist and have no problem admitting mistakes if I committed one. If it turns out that this project fails then I will update this thread accordingly.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

If I remember right you are back and forth to Asian countries anyway so it taking awhile shouldn't be so bad
Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 AM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by Classy
If I remember right you are back and forth to Asian countries anyway so it taking awhile shouldn't be so bad
Good memory, i'm usually over in Asia a little more than half of the year. It definitely lessens the anxiety but, trust me, it's still very painful knowing that you don't have your baby at home in your garage waiting for you to come home.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

At least you still have your car, lol
Old 12-03-2012, 08:56 AM
herrschaft

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, it looks like they're working on your car since every time I stop by GTM its in a different spot.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 AM
TWINEMINDER

Is there some kind of caveat for others interested in this kit as it is already listed on their website as available? I know your car was heavily modified before this install, but is there something specific being done on your car that makes this less of a "bolt on kIt" than the three stages they have listed?
I know you went for the bigger blower but there has to be more to it.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 AM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by Classy
At least you still have your car, lol
Haha, btw what car did you shift to?

Originally Posted by herrschaft
Well, it looks like they're working on your car since every time I stop by GTM its in a different spot.
Good to hear. Did you get a chance to install your driveshaft yet?

Is there some kind of caveat for others interested in this kit as it is already listed on their website as available? I know your car was heavily modified before this install, but is there something specific being done on your car that makes this less of a "bolt on kIt" than the three stages they have listed?
I know you went for the bigger blower but there has to be more to it.
As far as I'm aware of GTM hasn't tested this on a stock car so if you buy this kit you will undoubtedly gain power but by how much is the caveat. From the way the kit is developed and installed it is a 100% "bolt on kit". So no custom work or special installation will be required to get the kit to fit.

One of the major factor that has impeded the progress rate was that the mockup kit was not fully completed yet when my car went there and my longblock setup was not suited for SCing. So a lot of trial and error has been done to not only obtain a solid kit but also to make sure my engine and the kit works optimally together. Sometimes two independently good things doesn't equate to one great thing.

I don't want to put words in GTM's mouth so I think the best thing to do if you are interested in getting a kit is to contact GTM directly.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:44 AM
TWINEMINDER

Yeah I did realize most of the down time was because they were still doing the original fab work on the kit while your car was apart. I was just curious about it's current state with what appears to be a fully assembled product. It's the price you pay for innovation and being the test mule I suppose. I am anxious to see the results. Your car is sweet. BTW Did you ever install that trophy brake kit? Any Pics?

Quick Reply: GTM: never too late for another SC kit