Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

Vq30det!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my misunderstanding, but yah supposedly the maxima guys have flow tested the intakes and that intake flows alot better then our style but only seems to fit the vq30 heads which i was curious about.

decided to modify a revup intake instead haha.

hawaii isnt as great as everyone thinks, sure its pretty but gets old quick, most of the car scene is show over go, no track, expensive as crap to live, its warm but is counteracted by the fact it rains literally every day. i cant wait to be back stateside, im dreading what its going to cost me today to ship my turbo to precision for the 66 exhuast wheel

edit: for the person mentioning the head swap that could be interesting to have the heads and intake flow benched against a vq35 setup........... see where it lies and what advantages one way or the other would be
Originally Posted by JGYMotorsports
Well said, and......this isn't a "FOR-SALE" thread We just tossed some prices out to help answer the question.

One of the guys just walked out and looked.....both the VQ35 and the VQ30 seem to have the exact block facing at the tranny including the CAS location.

If (not sure because we haven't gotten it apart) the intakes were able to be swapped, a person could use their electronics and their parts and have a turbo'd VQ for about the prices we said. Also, we are not sure if the turbo outlet comes in contact with the steering shaft. All this stuff is easily fixable.

But......to possibly help with this

JGY wouldn't do the job for $2000, not even close. We were implying in your garage with budget in mind, the $2000 might be attainable.

We have one here that's in the engine room, once it's apart, we will post some pics to shread some light on the truth.

Hawaii? cool, we are shipping some stuff out today to there

Last edited by jerryd87; 01-02-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 PM
jasonG35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
personally im perfectly ok with the built vq35
+1 I'm normally not a fan of non Nissan motors in Nissans
Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 PM
bigcloud

This motor is definitely good swap potential for 03 - 04 guys as the last year made for the motor was 04. Reason I say this is in some states you can swap in a new motor as long as the motor is the same year or newer. I wonder how far off of Emissions it would be. Found one on ebay for a good starting price. Since I have an IS-F now I could work on this in the garage and get it running over the winter. Hmmmmm. This sounds like a good way to go. I may just go for it. Not for mind blowing power, but to be different. I wonder how well it would hold up over the long term?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:49 PM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

we have 2 motor sets here and we have been itching to put one in something! i would say if you stayed conservative with power out put on the stock setup it would be pretty reliable for being a factory turbocharged vq, and still putting out 287hp(but you know how under rated the jdm only nissan motors power is) you could prob up the boost a little and up the power a bit more!

plus i believe these motors only came mated to a automatic trans, so bolting up a z's 6spd should be alot of fun!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 PM
bigcloud

we have 2 motor sets here and we have been itching to put one in something! i would say if you stayed conservative with power out put on the stock setup it would be pretty reliable for being a factory turbocharged vq, and still putting out 287hp(but you know how under rated the jdm only nissan motors power is) you could prob up the boost a little and up the power a bit more!

plus i believe these motors only came mated to a automatic trans, so bolting up a z's 6spd should be alot of fun!
I would be very interested in doing this swap. As my Z has 165k on it. It does see 3-4 HPDE's a year though.

Other than getting the 350z 6speed to bolt up to it and a proper flywheel and clutch combo selected the only other thing I'm worried about is what to do about the electronics? Being an engineer I would want to try and use the VQ35 heads so I can run the stock ECU and use UpRev to tune it. This is very interesting. I would most certainly buy a motor from you very soon.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 PM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bigcloud
I would be very interested in doing this swap. As my Z has 165k on it. It does see 3-4 HPDE's a year though.

Other than getting the 350z 6speed to bolt up to it and a proper flywheel and clutch combo selected the only other thing I'm worried about is what to do about the electronics? Being an engineer I would want to try and use the VQ35 heads so I can run the stock ECU and use UpRev to tune it. This is very interesting. I would most certainly buy a motor from you very soon.

using the heads,harness, and ecu is one way we have considered doing this for simplicity's reasons and retaining all the pro's of the 35's heads and z's ecu features,and we love uprev so it seems to be a great option...

and we would love to be part of it!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:36 PM
bigcloud

using the heads,harness, and ecu is one way we have considered doing this for simplicity's reasons and retaining all the pro's of the 35's heads and z's ecu features,and we love uprev so it seems to be a great option...

and we would love to be part of it!
I will sleep on it over the weekend as to weather or not I will send the car to you guys or do the swap myself up here. I would love to be the first 350z to do this swap on this site.

My biggest thing is that I would need an 03 or 04 motor VQ30DET to go in the car. That way Virginia Emissions would be happy....lol.

Here is another link to some measurements and pictures: http://performanceforums.com/forums/...one-interested

Last edited by bigcloud; 01-03-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:50 PM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

It would be something fresh on here... or anywhere!

We dont have emissions in our part of Virginia! I guess we got lucky! ha

Andrew@JGY

Last edited by JGYMotorsports; 01-04-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:01 PM
bigcloud

It would be something fresh on here... or anywhere!

We dont have emissions in our part of Virginia! I guess we got lucky! ha
HA! I wish we didn't have emissions up here in Northern Virginia. How far are you guys away from Northern Virginia?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 AM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

HA! I wish we didn't have emissions up here in Northern Virginia. How far are you guys away from Northern Virginia?
We are at exit 50 on I81. If you are in the Manassas area, you are talking about 4 hours or so.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 AM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

i am curious about this car, some one chime in!
-andrew@jgy
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 AM
bigcloud

Looks nice. I would love to hear more about this car. Plus I'm pretty sure I would want you guys to install the motor and get everything running.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 AM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Looks nice. I would love to hear more about this car. Plus I'm pretty sure I would want you guys to install the motor and get everything running.
Jason ran a CarFox on that tag.............the tag belongs to a Maxima so.....apparently some tag sharing occurred........

still neat

Andrew@JGY
Old 01-10-2013, 12:36 PM
bigcloud

Jason ran a CarFox on that tag.............the tag belongs to a Maxima so.....apparently some tag sharing occurred........

still neat

Andrew@JGY
Yeah still neat. I was doing some searching on it as well. All I came up with was maxima's well.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 PM
boostedmaxima

I guess this would be interesting as a shop build for something to do to say you can do it, also to say it would be reliable as a dd boost motor. Keep in mind the technology to make this all work is going a step backwards, almost like reverse engineering. Funny thing is alot of 4th gen maxima guys and some 3rd gen maxima guys are looking for 3.5s to put in their cars which would consider a step up, not to mention boosted, or slightly built and boosted. But z guys are putting 3.0's and 4 cylinders(vr6 swap thread) in their cars?? Also us maxima guys are searching for standalone options, most of us run piggybacks, the 3.5 has more toys and aftermarket support than the 3.0. Don't quote me, but I believe on the maxima site years ago someone did a hybrid which was 3.5 heads, 3.0 block with a DET crank. There was also a DET swapped maxima but no dyno numbers ever came out in the thread.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedmaxima
I guess this would be interesting as a shop build for something to do to say you can do it, also to say it would be reliable as a dd boost motor. Keep in mind the technology to make this all work is going a step backwards, almost like reverse engineering. Funny thing is alot of 4th gen maxima guys and some 3rd gen maxima guys are looking for 3.5s to put in their cars which would consider a step up, not to mention boosted, or slightly built and boosted. But z guys are putting 3.0's and 4 cylinders(vr6 swap thread) in their cars?? Also us maxima guys are searching for standalone options, most of us run piggybacks, the 3.5 has more toys and aftermarket support than the 3.0. Don't quote me, but I believe on the maxima site years ago someone did a hybrid which was 3.5 heads, 3.0 block with a DET crank. There was also a DET swapped maxima but no dyno numbers ever came out in the thread.
I agree with your points. But are you referring to the VR6 motor as a 4 cylinder? It is indeed a 6 cylinder motor.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VR6_engine

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 01-11-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 PM
bigcloud

I used to own a 1998 Infiniti I30 and was also on maxima.org. The projects I saw from that site was phenominal. I guess for us Z guys for some reason our motors blow really easy. Where as I didn't see too many failures in the 3.0 and 3.5 FI maximas. It's really weird to say the least. I would love to get a VQ30DET up and running on my Z. Would make for a great car. Without all the fuss.....hopefully.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:24 AM
jasonG35

I think* they started this thread just to share info about the VQ30 and not so much as to push that it SHOULD be installed into all 350's.

I think saying that it would be good for a shop car implies it wouldn't be good for a non shop car, to thus I disagree.

It does seem that VQ owners are very proud of their motors as I am.
With that said, think about 240sx owners......they go from a 2.4L to most of the time an older production 2L turbo motor...........
Nissan is a global production company and just because a motor is newer in one part of the world, doesn't mean that the technology used in an older motor in another part of the world implies that it's out of date.
To give you a weird example, the B13 ( the US 91 to 94 sentra) was still made new in Mexico up to a couple years ago........and some of them in the middle 2000's were carb'd! So, you could put a '92 US SR motor in that car........and technically be putting a 10 year old motor in the car......but it would still be more advanced.

I do think one point that you somewhat hit on and others have is this........how readily available is the VQ30 and parts for it?

But as for power, the VQ30 is rated at more power than the VQ35.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 PM
boostedmaxima

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
I agree with your points. But are you referring to the VR6 motor as a 4 cylinder? It is indeed a 6 cylinder motor.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VR6_engine
I stand corrected.. For some reason in the pics it looked small so I thought it was a 4. No excuse tho I was just flat out wrong.

I used to own a 1998 Infiniti I30 and was also on maxima.org. The projects I saw from that site was phenominal. I guess for us Z guys for some reason our motors blow really easy. Where as I didn't see too many failures in the 3.0 and 3.5 FI maximas. It's really weird to say the least. I would love to get a VQ30DET up and running on my Z. Would make for a great car. Without all the fuss.....hopefully.
The failures of the 3.5 have been discussed on other forums as well and some have theories that seem to make sense, one thing is though the maxima guys use different timing and some would switch to beefier rods if they get paranoid enough. If you can overcome the flywheel, ecu, throttle body, possible fuel system changes then I say go for it. I personally would do rods and pistons or a DET crank in a VQ35. There have been some guys that timing has skipped though on 3.5 motors in the 4th gen.

I would like to see this vq30det with large injectors and a large turbo and see what numbers it produces in a Z.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:06 PM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

I stand corrected.. For some reason in the pics it looked small so I thought it was a 4. No excuse tho I was just flat out wrong.

The failures of the 3.5 have been discussed on other forums as well and some have theories that seem to make sense, one thing is though the maxima guys use different timing and some would switch to beefier rods if they get paranoid enough. If you can overcome the flywheel, ecu, throttle body, possible fuel system changes then I say go for it. I personally would do rods and pistons or a DET crank in a VQ35. There have been some guys that timing has skipped though on 3.5 motors in the 4th gen.

I would like to see this vq30det with large injectors and a large turbo and see what numbers it produces in a Z.
If the crankshaft is beefier (hint hint Jason) and the rods/pistons are as well, the bigger turbo suggestion you suggest would be neat. If they are the same, there would be little need/desire to do it.

As to what you talk about with the 3.5 between the Maxima and the Z/G.......not a clue.

Again, we think the interesting part of the VQ30 is the attraction of a low mileage motor with more power than the motor you exchange it for all being done without great cost.

For example, if you could get a used Greddy turbo kit for your 350z for $1000, run about 5psi of boost and make 320HP.....that's a good buy.

We have years and years of experience with Nissan motors. A turbo'd Nissan motor can easily see about 4psi of more boost and normally make about 25% more power.

In our opinion (flame suits on), the VQ is overrated by Nissan at 280ps especially when compared to a VG30DETT being rated at 300ps. Oddly, the VQ30DET (not offered in the US) is rated at 280ps.
So, Nissan deletes just .5L, adds a T3 turbo......and claims the same power? doubtful At the time of the reveal of the 350z, Nissan was moving away from turbo and small motors and delivering larger displacement motors and no turbos because it felt the general public liked that more..........and they were right. Times change.......over the years, the US has grown to accept turbos more and diesel power more.

We guess that if on average, we see 225HP at the wheels with a 350z stock, we bet with the same flowing exhaust and intake, that a VQ30DET in the same car would probably put down 260HP or so..........
Then...........turn up the boost a little and hit 300HP at the wheels and still not stress the motor any.

We shall see soon enough on what the insides of this motor contains.

We are glad people are as interested as we are in this motor.

Quick Reply: Vq30det!