Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Installed Motordyne 1/2" Plenum Spacer with OEM strut bar retained (pics included)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 09:43 AM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Installed Motordyne 1/2" Plenum Spacer with OEM strut bar retained (pics included)

Installed Motordyne 1/2" Plenum Spacer with OEM strut bar retained

Tony from Motordyne Engineering & I installed a 1/2" Plenum spacer and hood spacer in order for me to retain the oem strutbar. I have been looking for a plenum for sometime but did not want to negate all the money spent on my suspension just to add a plenum. So Tony & I colaborated and came up with a hood spacer as the solution. All I can say is WOW.

MOTORDYNE ENGINEERING HOOD SPACER:

Initially the goal was to help divert hot engine air out of the bay by lifting the hood. Tony started prelimanary temp measurments of engine bay & ambient air taken. Test show that engine bay temps were 145-150 degrees farenheit and ambient temprature was at 80 degrees farenheit.

After the instalation of the hood spacer we noticed engine bay temps aveerage at 90-95 degrees farenheit. WOW that was an average drop of 45-50 degrees fareheit. This has got to be the best bang for the buck mod for any track feens . At a stop temps went back to 145-150 degrees farenheit but once the car was moving it rapidly went down. IMO the hood spacer gives the car a mean menacing look.

MOTORDYNE ENGINEERING 1/2" PLENUM SPACER

it's been a while since i got excited with the car, after spending hundreds of dollars on performance mods (intake, exhaust, & test pipes) and not really feeling the difference. Tony fromMotordyne Engineering really got something on the plenum spacer. All I can say is WOW. You feel quicker engine response from 4500 rpms to redline. Car is idling fine and top end is so much better. Once you hit 5500 rpm, you can really feel the car pull.

The install was very easy and any DIY can do this in very little time. Tony from Motordyne Engineering CNC cut spacers to conform very tightly to the stock plenums complex shape for a professionally engineered look. And they have a grit blast finish that makes it blend in with the OEM sand cast plenum. The spacers are cut from 6061 T-6 aluminum and can resist any amount of thermal soakback or turbo boost. He also supplies all new high grade hardware and oem plenum gasket with the kit. After the install the engine bay looks very stealthy, with the oem engine cover and oem sturt bar retained. You have to look really close right below the upper plenum you can see a bright silver line seperating the lower plenum, that's the spacer. As time goes by it should blend well with the upper and lower plenum.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:45 AM
kinjal

is that what the hood spacer makes the car look like with the hood closed?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:51 AM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

Originally Posted by kinjal
is that what the hood spacer makes the car look like with the hood closed?
Yes that's what it is. Now keep in mind of the benefits this has on cooling the engine bay temps for track/race events.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:24 PM
kinjal

The Motordyne Plenum Spacer GB prices will:

>25
The Motordyne 350Z 1/4" spacer price is $160.
The Motordyne G35 3/8" spacer price is $170.
The Motordyne XL 1/2" spacer price is $180.
The Motordyne XL STB and Hood spacer kit is $40

25+
The Motordyne 350Z 1/4" spacer price is $150.
The Motordyne G35 3/8" spacer price is $160.
The Motordyne XL 1/2" spacer price is $170.
The Motordyne XL STB and Hood spacer kit is $40

Limit 100 plenum spacer units.

Each kit comes with everything you need for a complete install. You won't be running to the hardware store for parts or second guessing if there is enough room for everything to fit properly. The design is refined.

Shipping is $13.95 and orders are sent out Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Please allow 24hr for order processing. XL STB and Hood spacer kits will start shipping april 22.

For more information visit MotordyneEngineering.com

Tony Colette
Motordyne Engineering
2004.5 G35S 6MT Black on Black, leather, sport suspension, Z-tube, XLarge plenum spacer, Top Speed Headers, Stillen CAI, Stillen Catback (modified), Stillen Swaybars, Stillen Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS pads.

Road Racing - more fun than snow skiing!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:53 PM
NourZ

Originally Posted by nismo33
Installed Motordyne 1/2" Plenum Spacer with OEM strut bar retained
The website says that I can't keep the strut bar with 1/2" spacer??
I'd like to get in the GB but I want the 1/2"+keep my strut bar.

[From motordyneengineering.com]
"The 350Z will accept any spacer size but the stock strut bar will only fit with the 350Z ss 1/4" spacer. If the strut bar is not needed, maximum performance can be made with the MD XL ½” spacer."
Old 04-18-2005, 09:33 PM
kinjal

Originally Posted by nourarnaout

"The 350Z will accept any spacer size but the stock strut bar will only fit with the 350Z ss 1/4" spacer. If the strut bar is not needed, maximum performance can be made with the MD XL ½” spacer."
the hood spacer (see pics above) allows it to fit with the strut bar
Old 04-19-2005, 07:17 AM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

The hood spacer was a new development from Tony @ Motordyne Engineering. The hood spacer will allow you to run the Motordyne 1/2" spacer with the OEM strut bar. Another benefit with the Motordyne hood spacer is that engine bay temp are reduced 45-50 degrees farenheit at speed. If anybody in so cal that is near the SFV can check out the install at the next meet this thursday at camp1320 in canoga park. thread started in the so cal forum.

Virg
Old 04-19-2005, 09:15 AM
BoostTed

The hood spacer was a new development from Tony @ Motordyne Engineering. The hood spacer will allow you to run the Motordyne 1/2" spacer with the OEM strut bar. Another benefit with the Motordyne hood spacer is that engine bay temp are reduced 45-50 degrees farenheit at speed. If anybody in so cal that is near the SFV can check out the install at the next meet this thursday at camp1320 in canoga park. thread started in the so cal forum.

Virg
hey you took your CF hood off? Let me slap it on for a while to see how it looks
Old 04-19-2005, 09:17 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Compton Cowl!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:00 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so can we use 1/2 spacer without the hood spacer? i don't track. Just daily drive.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:40 AM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

Originally Posted by Bubble
so can we use 1/2 spacer without the hood spacer? i don't track. Just daily drive.
you can use the 1/2" spacer but will require you to either:

remove the oem strut bar (handling will suffer)
buy after market strut bar (expensive)
use hood spacers (recommended)

virg
Old 04-19-2005, 11:25 AM
uplz4588

thats hella ghetto IMO
Old 04-19-2005, 11:50 AM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

Originally Posted by uplz4588
thats hella ghetto IMO
no worries. i did it specifically for two things, first to retain the oem STB and not pay for an after market STB for $150+. Second for the cooling the engine bay. The later was a great success as engine bay temps went down 45-50 degrees farenheit at speed.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:50 AM
NourZ

The hood spacer would ruin the smooth lines of the car. Maybe not as bad for you because you have a SB. How about strut bar spacers.. is it possible? I really want the 1/2".

Also could you point out the differences between your 1/4" spacer and the AAM spacer
Old 04-19-2005, 11:58 AM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

The hood spacer would ruin the smooth lines of the car. Maybe not as bad for you because you have a SB. How about strut bar spacers.. is it possible? I really want the 1/2".

Also could you point out the differences between your 1/4" spacer and the AAM spacer
The only way to keep the stock body lines and use the Motordyne 1/2" spacer is to remove the oem STB or buy an aftermarket STB to work with it. I honestly think it would look mean and not that noticeable on brighter color cars. As far as comparison between Motordyne and AAM plenum spacer i can't give you an answer as i never had the AAM installed on my car. All I can say is my personal experience with the Motordyne products rock. Tony @ Motordyne puts alot of thought into the product and is engineered well. I love how responsive my engine is witf this mod and top end is just great. Good luck on your choice of Plenum, but you can't go wrong with Motordyne.

Virg
Old 04-19-2005, 12:37 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

uhhh
Old 04-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The answer to your question. The AAM angled spacer is a 1/4" at back and a 1/2" at front. I retained my strut bar, engine cover and the hood closes flush with no vibration problems. Yes, I had to buy extra hardware (ie bolts), but that was of my own doing and because I got in on the GB for the first release. There is plenty of info now for an easy and perfect install of the AAM spacer. I'm sure with time AAM will release all necessary hardware in future orders.

Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 04-19-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:28 PM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

Default More Pics

Motordyne Engineering 1/2" Plenum spacer kit w/ XL hood & STB spacer kit

Motordyne Engineering 1/2" Plenum Spacer

Motordyne Engineering STB spacer kit

Motordyne Engineering XL hood spacer kit

Feel free to post or PM me with question regarding the Motordyne's Plenum spacer kit
Old 04-19-2005, 03:39 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good... nice complete setup! AAM will learn!

Old 04-19-2005, 03:56 PM
mikedZ33

Virg

The hood spacer might have some cooling advantages, however for those of us that use the Z for a daily driver it definetly would be a bit sketchy driving in the rain with the gap like that exposed IMO.

Quick Reply: Installed Motordyne 1/2" Plenum Spacer with OEM strut bar retained (pics included)