Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Nav Disclaimer Gone Forever.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 05:59 PM
generator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Disclaimer Gone Forever.....

Hi folks:

I am new to this forum. I frequent the Nissanmurano.org website as I am a proud Murano owner. I do like to see how the rest of my Nissan family is doing though.

Anyway, I am probably most well known for radical modifications to my MO'. I have developed two circuits in particular that may interest users of this forum.

The first is a circuit to eliminate the annoying NAG screen that shows up on the nav every time you turn on the car. It is called the NO-NAG circuit. I have installed it in Murano's and FX's so far. You can see info about it here:

NO NAG THREAD

The second is a device to connect your XBox directly to your NAV screen. With my modified x-box I can see movies, store tons of games on my hard drive, store all my mp3's and play them on a media player. The possibilities are limitless. This circuit is called the NAVBox. You can see details here:

NAVBox Thread & Video Links

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by generator; 08-18-2004 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:09 PM
Buub

Here's something to work on: a circuit that automagically turns off the traction control when the car is started. I need one of those! :-)
Old 08-18-2004, 06:13 PM
generator

Originally posted by Buub
Here's something to work on: a circuit that automagically turns off the traction control when the car is started. I need one of those! :-)
I can do that!
Old 08-18-2004, 06:16 PM
zmansoon

Some guys already have that actually....if only I could remember where I saw that. Try searching the modifications forum for traction control...

On another note, man I wish I had NAV!
Old 08-18-2004, 06:50 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Been done...

http://www.kptechnologies.net/
Old 08-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Hazade

nice job generator! so how much for one of those circuits?
Old 08-19-2004, 03:32 PM
generator

Before I answer that....DUDE! Who are the girls in those icons...Hot.

OK, back to reality. Than NO-Nag is currently $65.00. I will coming out with a lower priced one in a few weeks that uses a less expensive processor. Some folks really wanted it now so this is what I can do for the time being.

The Xbox to Nav device is going to be $175.00

I hope we can do business some day!

Thanks
Old 08-19-2004, 05:19 PM
rbaggett1

Generator I saw a picture of the NAVBox on your other thread. I labeled the picture. Are my assumptions correct?

Also you mentioned a switch. Is the switch a part of the NAVBox? If so, do you have a picture of it and can it be replaced with any switch (wanted to pickup an extra seat warmer button).
Attached Thumbnails Nav Disclaimer Gone Forever.....-cable-custom-.jpg  
Old 08-19-2004, 09:06 PM
KPierson
Banned

KPtechnologies VDC mod can be modified (by adding 1 diode) to act as a NAV screen bypass bypass, and it sells for $39.99. We never advertise it because we can't find anyone with a Z or a G who is willing to disasemble the entire dash and navi unit just to get rid of the bypass button (my car included - the labor involved far outweighs the benefit). Once again, anyone interested in trying it out let me know, I've checked with the ESM and it will be a fairly involved job, and not something I would recomend for the average DIY. Remember, you mess up with that soldering iron and your out $1200 for a replacement NAV board! Generator, are you selling these yourself or through an LLC or with some other sort of business backing/protection?

KPtech toyed around with setting up a mail in service for us to do the soldering, but in our research found that in no way would it be profitable, or a highly sought after item.

Originally posted by generator
Before I answer that....DUDE! Who are the girls in those icons...Hot.

OK, back to reality. Than NO-Nag is currently $65.00. I will coming out with a lower priced one in a few weeks that uses a less expensive processor. Some folks really wanted it now so this is what I can do for the time being.

The Xbox to Nav device is going to be $175.00

I hope we can do business some day!

Thanks
Old 08-20-2004, 12:18 AM
jreiter

Fantastic! Now someone figure out how to get rid of the nag on my Alpine nav unit and I'll be so, so grateful.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:11 AM
generator

Originally posted by rbaggett1
Generator I saw a picture of the NAVBox on your other thread. I labeled the picture. Are my assumptions correct?

Also you mentioned a switch. Is the switch a part of the NAVBox? If so, do you have a picture of it and can it be replaced with any switch (wanted to pickup an extra seat warmer button).
The picture for the mostpart is correct except the RCA conections are actually outputs. This is where the audio comes out to go to the head unit and the extra compostive video comes out for feeding additional headrest monitors.

That photo is a prototype photo. The unit is in a different form now, but functionally still the same.

The switch is any toggle swich. A small toggle switch is included. If you see the MPG video I have posted on the Murano website it shows where I put a small switch to toggle back and forth. However in my setup I use a tiny pushbutton switch. I can do that because I also have the NONAG installed as well. The no nag inteface is not necassary but if you do have it it does the following:

1. It commands the NAVBox to blank the screen before the nag screen shows up and then bypasses it.

2. Performs "soft" switching of the NAV screen. You could use a small push button switch to change modes instead of a toggle switch. Everytime you turn the car on the screen will default back to NAV mode. That cant happen when you are using a regular toggle switch.

Last edited by generator; 08-20-2004 at 03:39 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:23 AM
generator

Originally posted by KPierson
KPtechnologies VDC mod can be modified (by adding 1 diode) to act as a NAV screen bypass bypass, and it sells for $39.99. We never advertise it because we can't find anyone with a Z or a G who is willing to disasemble the entire dash and navi unit just to get rid of the bypass button (my car included - the labor involved far outweighs the benefit). Once again, anyone interested in trying it out let me know, I've checked with the ESM and it will be a fairly involved job, and not something I would recomend for the average DIY. Remember, you mess up with that soldering iron and your out $1200 for a replacement NAV board! Generator, are you selling these yourself or through an LLC or with some other sort of business backing/protection?
This is strictly a hobby for me right now. I do not sell these in mass quantity or sell them thru a LLC. The end-user takes full responsibilty for any direct or indirect damages that may occur. I tried to make the install as safe and simple as possible. Hence only on solder point. My device in its current form has additional lines on it for expansion and it is pre-coded to interface with the NavBOX circuit to perform screen blanking and software toggling of the nav screen. The price will come down as I move the project over to the PIC platform.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:47 AM
KPierson
Banned

First off, I think it is awesome what you are doing, I don't mean to bring any negativity to it at all.

Just a word of caution, I tried to start marketing KPtechnologies Window Up module as an individual, as a hobby. After speaking to a business oriented lawyer I found that there is no way to remove liability from an indiviual, no matter how big or thorough your disclaimer is. Forming an LLC helps out quite a bit, but still isn't full proof (and will cancel out almost all your initial profits as it's not exactly cheap.) The final key is holding insurance so if someone ever does try to hold you responsible for any vehicle damage or any wreck that might occure to them using thier NAV without agreeing to the warning! If someone can sue McDonalds for serving HOT coffee anything is possible!

Kevin Pierson
www.KPtechnologies.net

This is strictly a hobby for me right now. I do not sell these in mass quantity or sell them thru a LLC. The end-user takes full responsibilty for any direct or indirect damages that may occur. I tried to make the install as safe and simple as possible. Hence only on solder point. My device in its current form has additional lines on it for expansion and it is pre-coded to interface with the NavBOX circuit to perform screen blanking and software toggling of the nav screen. The price will come down as I move the project over to the PIC platform.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Poison123
Google Bot

Yup KPierson is right, in the world today disclaimers hold no power. 9/10 times your liable for anything that might happen.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:50 PM
rbaggett1

The picture for the mostpart is correct except the RCA conections are actually outputs. This is where the audio comes out to go to the head unit and the extra compostive video comes out for feeding additional headrest monitors.

That photo is a prototype photo. The unit is in a different form now, but functionally still the same.

The switch is any toggle swich. A small toggle switch is included. If you see the MPG video I have posted on the Murano website it shows where I put a small switch to toggle back and forth. However in my setup I use a tiny pushbutton switch. I can do that because I also have the NONAG installed as well. The no nag inteface is not necassary but if you do have it it does the following:

1. It commands the NAVBox to blank the screen before the nag screen shows up and then bypasses it.

2. Performs "soft" switching of the NAV screen. You could use a small push button switch to change modes instead of a toggle switch. Everytime you turn the car on the screen will default back to NAV mode. That cant happen when you are using a regular toggle switch.
I modified the picture and tried PM'ing you but it doesn't allow me to send attachments. Let me know if anything else I did is not correct.
Attached Thumbnails Nav Disclaimer Gone Forever.....-cable-custom-2-.jpg  
Old 08-20-2004, 07:59 PM
rbaggett1

The link to the video is here.
http://www.radiostationcentral.com/G.../MOV000742.mpg

Looks very cool. Has any Z owners installed this in their car yet? If so did you have it professionally done or did you do it yourself?

Last edited by rbaggett1; 08-20-2004 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:09 PM
KPierson
Banned

Where does the Audio Out attach to on the Z/G head unit? Neither cars have AUX inputs. Does it have a built in FM modulator or SAT interface? Will it work with video signals from other video sources?

Kevin
Old 08-21-2004, 06:42 AM
generator

Rbagget:

Thank you for updating the photo.
There are no "Z" owners I know of yet that have done it, but I am getting a lot of e-mail regarding it. I think there is just a lot of folks scared to take the plunge. Thats OK. I expected that. Nobody was more scared than me when I first took snips to my NAV harness. Once one "Z" owner does it I am sure others will follow. If there are any "Z" owners in the NYC area I will even help with the install at no cost.

KPierson:

How the audio gets into the head unit is strictly up to the end user. Most folks would prefer to use the PAC inteface (www.pac-audio.com) to use the SAT inputs. You could use any RF unit or in the case of the FX you could use existing aux inputs. This kit can basically be used on any RGBS nav system. The audio possibillities change with each vehicle.

I have no immediate plans to offer additional inputs for other video signals. I am trying to keep this simple and cost effective. The way I see it, the Xbox does everything so how often would you use another input and is it worth the extra cost?

Last edited by generator; 08-21-2004 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:10 AM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Lot's of gunshy peoplez. I'll do it. The nag screen positively drives me nuts.

PM me if you haven't found anyone else and lets get this started!
Old 08-21-2004, 08:25 AM
rbaggett1

Rbagget:

Thank you for updating the photo.
There are no "Z" owners I know of yet that have done it, but I am getting a lot of e-mail regarding it. I think there is just a lot of folks scared to take the plunge. Thats OK. I expected that. Nobody was more scared than me when I first took snips to my NAV harness. Once one "Z" owner does it I am sure others will follow. If there are any "Z" owners in the NYC area I will even help with the install at no cost.
No problem Generator. Anything to help out. I'm interested, but as you said I'm kind of hesitant of making the cut. When I first got my car, every shop I went to had no experience connecting anything to the stock NAV system. That was about a year ago. I'm sure they have some experience by now but I don't want to be their guinea pig. One place I originally went to was trying to get me to sign a waiver just in case they mess up my NAV system. As you probably figured out, I didn't stay there too long after that. Car Toys even turned me down at the time because he didn't want to be liable.

Generator I'd definitely take you up on your offer but I'm in Texas and I won't be able to make it up to NY anytime soon.

By the way, do you have a picture of what the new system looks like?

Thanks,
Robert

Quick Reply: Nav Disclaimer Gone Forever.....