Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 04:57 PM
9kFever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

This post has been revised by ZeeForce with permission from 9kFever.

Original post: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....32332&page=105

Nissan releases TSB NTB07-088c: 2005- 2006 350Z: Engine Oil Level Is Low

Released: 11/27/07 (discontinued)
Revised: 02/27/2008 (discontinued)
Revised: 04/28/08

Applied Vehicles: 2006 350Z (Z33) with M/T: 2005 350Z (Z33) Track and 35th Anniversary Edition with M/T

Good news for oil consuming engines, after 2 years of fighting with the dealer and Nissan North America (NNA). NNA finally released a Technical Service Bulletin that will now take only a visit to the dealer to record an oil fill (top off) plus one more visit maybe two, for a look up on the Oil Consumption Chart to determine if the engine is to be replaced at the dealer level. In the past there was this long agonizing painful process of arguing with the dealer and NNA to accept responsibility of a mechanical defect in the engine, that 1 qt per 1k mi was unacceptable. Today the dealers have a guidelines set forth for all dealers to comply with, not to mention we now have the same chart.

Basically the TSB is if the engine is consuming at or more than 8mm below the top of the “H” crosshatch mark within 1001-1500 miles from a dealer recorded” check and refill oil level”, or an “oil and filter change”, the engine will be replaced (may need two recordings) with the V2 part # 10102-AC7MZ. No more hassles, no more ignorant dealers saying “It’s normal to consume 1 qt per every 3k mi oil intervals”.

Ok, now in layman terms:
Oil level is >1/3 qt (8mm) low, car has 2k mi on current oil change.
Have dealer confirm the reading and document on your file, dealer tops off oil and tells you to come back in 1k mi.
1001 miles later you check it and its 8 mm 1/3 qt low or >, take it to dealer to confirm reading and your engine will be replaced. It’s that simple.

Congrats to everyone waiting in the wings hoping their OC will reach what used to be the standard 1qt per 1ki miles for an engine replacement, can now line up Monday morning at their dealer with this TSB in hand and get an engine replaced.

Print it, share it, keep this post handy, and pass it on to the next enthusiast.

Cheers

ZeeForce – Curtis

New TSB as of 04/28/08:
NTB07-088c.pdf

Attached is an alternate Oil Consumption Chart created by gothchick. The chart incorporates the TSB table chart on page 7 of the TSB to dip stick measurements.
RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-oil-consumption-graph.jpg

If you need a quick ruler in mm, print out this paper ruler provided by dbasal.
rules_mm.pdf

In the event you need to contact Nissan North America Consumer Affairs Department (NNA) the telephone number is: 1-800-647-7261 opt 7,1

The Better Business Bureau Auto Line (BBB): http://www.us.bbb.org/WWWRoot/SitePa...d-7a3e16e8da33
Lemon Law (or Buy Back) information for your state can also be found on the above link.
Nissan’s Program Summary under the BBB Auto Line: http://www.us.bbb.org/Storage/16/Doc...an-ProgSum.pdf

Additional links for filing complaints provided by 06CPV35:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/
This website is responsible for recalls.

Class Action Suit: http://nissan350zoilconsumption.com/...isclaimer.html

Reasons for Motor Oil Consumption: provided by a reputable oil manufacture – AMSOIL: (2/7/08 edit - coming soon)

Engine Break-In:
Attached is from the owner’s manual.
RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-engine-break_in_0001.jpg

Here is a link to another method for engine break in. This method maybe controversial, I am only posting it for your own decision on which method to break in a new engine. Note: Most dealers will run the first 20 miles on the new engine before they hand it over to you. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

V2 Install Stats List.
Updated 2/8/08
RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-v2-and-v1-stats_0032.jpg

This list is all of our contributing members that have posted up their oil consumption on their new V2 engine. The tracking is on oil consumption, current miles on engine, oil type used. Please feel free to contribute when you receive your new replacement engine, this list will determine if the V2 is succeeding or failing with oil consumption. It will provide us with the indicators as to whether we have finally accomplished our goal or need to band together again and voice displeasure to Nissan and demand another engine revision. With the recent TSB I am hoping that the current list will triple in a month or two.

The measurements for oil consumption will be “mm” not quarts; this will keep all on the same page as Nissan’ TSB.

The V2 Install Stats List will be updated on this page. I will notify with a post when it’s updated.

The template below should be used to post your stats.

Template:

(1) So Far So Good – Still Pending
(2) Some OC – Still Pending
(3) Still Pending
(4) Still Consuming
(5) Success

Oil Consumption:
Engine Install Date:
Engine part number:
Mileage on Engine:
Mileage on current oil change interval:
Oil Type/Brand/Weight:

The original TSB post at the top of this page would be a good place to start, or you can jump to the last page and post a comment or question.

Last edited by 9kFever; 05-24-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Frosty1

It won't work.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:54 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ran a filter on my porsche 928 for pcv system instead of routing it into the intake. At 7500 rpms it would blow oil through and shoot a nice cloud of smoke out from the 2-3 shift around 110 or so mph heh.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:49 AM
350Z_LMS

Any news on this? Anyone tried? I have an 05 35th anniv with high oil consumption after approx 25k kms...
Old 11-23-2006, 09:40 AM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More people would be willing to try it if they told us what it is. Are these things check valves, filters, or what?
Old 11-23-2006, 10:50 AM
9kFever

yes they are a check valve
Old 11-23-2006, 06:37 PM
bofa

I'd like to try it but don't want to do anything to comprimise Nissan's liability for this issue and my warranty. Dunno.. on the fence with this one.

I'm gonna flip through the service manual and see how involved it is.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:09 AM
350Z_LMS

for $110 I think it worth a try (mini kit is ok for NA cars). I'm having my engine checked by Nissan here in Italy and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. I have a feeling it's gonna be a long wait
Old 11-26-2006, 07:10 AM
alrific

Smile pcv my ***

Hey guys I don't know whos feeding you this bs about the pcv burnin oil.
Not that the pcv can't cause it but Nissan thinks its excessive
valve overlap at high engine speeds causin the prob. They've got a tsb and ecm reprogram for it.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:21 AM
350Z_LMS

Default Terms

Originally Posted by alrific
Hey guys I don't know whos feeding you this bs about the pcv burnin oil.
Not that the pcv can't cause it but Nissan thinks its excessive
valve overlap at high engine speeds causin the prob. They've got a tsb and ecm reprogram for it.
I know it's dumb but what do you mean by "tsb and ecm"? thanks, Marco
Old 11-26-2006, 09:03 AM
ZPHILE

TSB - technical servce bulletin
ECM - electronic control module

BTW - have 2006 ZR 6MT with oil consumption - will mull this over and maybe do it (will check the TSB first).
Old 11-26-2006, 09:07 AM
350Z_LMS

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
TSB - technical servce bulletin
ECM - electronic control module

BTW - have 2006 ZR 6MT with oil consumption - will mull this over and maybe do it (will check the TSB first).
Hey thanks for that. How do I get hold of the TSB? Is it official in the US? thanks, this would really help
Old 11-26-2006, 09:10 AM
ZPHILE

Scratch that - ECM - ENGINE control module
Old 11-26-2006, 09:25 AM
350Z_LMS

ok, but what about the tsb?
Old 11-26-2006, 06:18 PM
alrific

Sorry guys, should have been more specific. The dealership should hopefully be able to find the reprogram info in their electronic service manual if you tell them your burnin oil.
Guess I should explain the overlap thing too. They think oil is being pulled down the valve guides by high vacuum b/c the variable valve timing is leaving the intake open too long.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:35 PM
bofa

Yup sounds like what they told me...

I just flipped through the Nissan site and couldn't find the TSB. Any link?
Old 11-26-2006, 06:35 PM
doctorshumes

Where are you getting this information from? The local dealership? Have you seen the TSB?
Old 11-26-2006, 06:49 PM
alrific

I'm a tech for a local dealer (plz don't hate me). I have not had to use the tsb yet so I hav'nt looked at it, but its been a source of much debate around the watercooler.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:59 PM
bofa

Would you be willing to scan a copy of the TSB or fax it to me and I can scan it? I'm interested to see what they released to the dealers as a fix.

I was speaking with my uncle over the weekend (engineer and long time car enthusiast) and he calls BS on the PCV issue, at least in my case with such high consumption...

Hopefully adjusting the VVT programming will fix the issue.. my new toys are stacking up in the garage and itching to be installed...
Old 11-26-2006, 07:00 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

Originally Posted by alrific
I'm a tech for a local dealer (plz don't hate me). I have not had to use the tsb yet so I hav'nt looked at it, but its been a source of much debate around the watercooler.
so is the oil consumption for all 06 or just the unlucky few?

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion