Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by antennahead
I had an interesting conversation with the head mechanic at my dealership today. My car is consuming and they have registered it with Nissan as a consumption issue. He told me the regional rep was just at the dealership and stated they are aware of the issue and are going to produce a fix. I don't know if all of you are aware the Altima recently had consumption issues as well. My mechanic stated that the engines are all assembled by machine now. Nissan finally figured out on the Altima, that the machine that placed the ring on the piston was slightly warping the ring in the process, not enough to be noticable by the human eye, but it caused the rings to not seat properly. Once they figured that out, they replaced the machine. The regional rep didn't say whether that was the issue with the Z, but stated a fix is coming soon. He also stated that they were aware replacement engines were not fixing the problem, and until the cause is corrected, no new engines were being offered. My mechanic seems to feel the fix will be new short blocks or long blocks, once Nissan has discovered the cause and produced a fix that allows for proper ring seating. Just wanted to pass along what I was told today.

John
So are we going to get new motors someday when they figure the mess out?

What's going to happen if they don't find a cure for the problem until AFTER all of our warranties expire? Guess we will get to pay for our own new motors?

Sweet.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:25 PM
z32 fairlady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started a thread to hopefully track users on the site who has a problem rather than this where general ?'s and comments can be posted regarding the issue.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/268613-possible-link-between-prod-date-and-oil-consumption.html
Old 05-02-2007, 07:01 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by z32 fairlady
I started a thread to hopefully track users on the site who has a problem rather than this where general ?'s and comments can be posted regarding the issue.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268613

there was actually a thread liek this that was started a while back...it failed at keeping track....

this particular thread is for questiosn and updates....but a lot of the recurring questions are being posted by lazy noobs since mos t of the time the questiosn asked have been answered or explained earlier....
Old 05-02-2007, 10:15 PM
ZPHILE

Default Just want to say thanks for your updates - Keep them coming...

I had an interesting conversation with the head mechanic at my dealership today. My car is consuming and they have registered it with Nissan as a consumption issue. He told me the regional rep was just at the dealership and stated they are aware of the issue and are going to produce a fix. I don't know if all of you are aware the Altima recently had consumption issues as well. My mechanic stated that the engines are all assembled by machine now. Nissan finally figured out on the Altima, that the machine that placed the ring on the piston was slightly warping the ring in the process, not enough to be noticable by the human eye, but it caused the rings to not seat properly. Once they figured that out, they replaced the machine. The regional rep didn't say whether that was the issue with the Z, but stated a fix is coming soon. He also stated that they were aware replacement engines were not fixing the problem, and until the cause is corrected, no new engines were being offered. My mechanic seems to feel the fix will be new short blocks or long blocks, once Nissan has discovered the cause and produced a fix that allows for proper ring seating. Just wanted to pass along what I was told today.

John
Everything that you've said was echoed by what I've heard. I'm trusting that your Service Mgr. that you've known for so long confirms things. Again though, as you've said, just hope Nissan Corporate is not lying through their teeth.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:46 AM
turbotoy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just heard!

I just heard from my BBB adviser. He said he has contacted NNA and is giving them 30 days to complete the repairs to my satisfaction. So they will be sending the regional tech in to look at the car. Then replacing the engine. Lets see if they give me crap about waiting until June or July?

Also I can highly recommend the BBB they defiantly can make NNA's wheel squeak.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:50 AM
dbasal

UPDATE:

I just received the call that the new engine designed to resolve this issue has shipped out to the dealer. It should arrive next week and they will be installing it.

I am goling to try to get as much technical information on it as possible, but the Nissan rep said that they may not be releasing that information. I should at minimum be able to get part numbers on anything that was changed.

I'm sure that there is some sort of official write-up somewhere. I'll do my best to get a hold of it.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:54 AM
doublins

Originally Posted by dbasal
UPDATE:

I just received the call that the new engine designed to resolve this issue has shipped out to the dealer. It should arrive next week and they will be installing it.

I am goling to try to get as much technical information on it as possible, but the Nissan rep said that they may not be releasing that information. I should at minimum be able to get part numbers on anything that was changed.

I'm sure that there is some sort of official write-up somewhere. I'll do my best to get a hold of it.
This has the potential to be good news, or just more chain-yanking.

Thank you so much for being so involved on the boards regarding this issue - it is a HUGE service to the rest of us and I assure you that everyone here applauds and appreciates you for it. I have had to add over 12 quarts of oil to my 06 Z over it's 10,000 mile life so far... it is currently undergoing an oil consumption test.

Thanks again,
-Chris
Old 05-03-2007, 10:42 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by doublins
This has the potential to be good news, or just more chain-yanking.

Thank you so much for being so involved on the boards regarding this issue - it is a HUGE service to the rest of us and I assure you that everyone here applauds and appreciates you for it. I have had to add over 12 quarts of oil to my 06 Z over it's 10,000 mile life so far... it is currently undergoing an oil consumption test.

Thanks again,
-Chris
Glad I could help. I can say that if it were not for this board, I would not have known about the issue until much later (maybe when the engine blew up). This community is certainly helpful.

I am very concerned about the chain yanking. I want Nissan to prove to me that this is not just another regular rev-up that is going into the car. Moreover, I want to make sure they are not doing something that kills performance, like reverting back to 287HP.

It is sad when you get to the point that you can not trust the manufacturer, but I just do not when it comes to this issue.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:58 AM
tooskerdo

i have an 05' track. I'm consuming oil like no tomorrow! in the last 1900 mile iv'e drank a full qrt. The funny thing is (3) weeks ago i recieved a call from NNA. They called me to tell me im due for an oil change, and was asking other questions? I did'nt pay to much attention because i thought it was a scam or something. I've recently had several car thefts in the area) So i hung up w/ her. Then i thought about it, NNA does'nt just waist their time to call people for oil changes, the dealer does that, and they have done it for 5 years now since i've owned both z's. I'm telling you that call was to get me in and check out the problem, that they don't even know about yet! I was wiating to see what others come up w/! I called NNA yesterday, and they took all my info down, and told me to take it to a dealer to varify the problem. That means i have to put another couple k on it. I don't drive it that often, a couple k miles will take me into dec. to do. And 2ndly, i don't like the dealers to touch my car, i do it myself since the last time i went there and i got my car back w/ a 2 1/2 foot scratch down the hood. Sorry to ramble, but frustrated w/ problem. Hope you have good luck, i'll be watching so i can make my move @ NNA also.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:46 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Everything that you've said was echoed by what I've heard. I'm trusting that your Service Mgr. that you've known for so long confirms things. Again though, as you've said, just hope Nissan Corporate is not lying through their teeth.
Yes, I trust my service advisor and his head mechanic, have known the advisor as mentioned previously for years. The real key depends on whether Nissan is being honest with them or yanking us. dbasal may be getting one of the new engines designed to fix this. If you read my prior post about the Altima and the machine that places the ring on the piston warping them, it does support (assuming that is the cause of our poor seal) a "hand built" engine as mentioned in previous threads curing the consumption. Remember, the regional rep told the mechanic the reason they stopped putting "existing on the shelf" engines in cars was because those engines had the problem as well. So I think it is safe to assume the new engines will be just that, new. All I know is that I want to get it fixed and begin really enjoying this car.

John
Old 05-03-2007, 03:39 PM
creationv2

Glad I could help. I can say that if it were not for this board, I would not have known about the issue until much later (maybe when the engine blew up). This community is certainly helpful.

I am very concerned about the chain yanking. I want Nissan to prove to me that this is not just another regular rev-up that is going into the car. Moreover, I want to make sure they are not doing something that kills performance, like reverting back to 287HP.

It is sad when you get to the point that you can not trust the manufacturer, but I just do not when it comes to this issue.
is it the whole motor theyre changing out? or is it just the longblock or something?
Old 05-03-2007, 04:15 PM
ZPHILE

Yes, I trust my service advisor and his head mechanic, have known the advisor as mentioned previously for years. The real key depends on whether Nissan is being honest with them or yanking us. dbasal may be getting one of the new engines designed to fix this. If you read my prior post about the Altima and the machine that places the ring on the piston warping them, it does support (assuming that is the cause of our poor seal) a "hand built" engine as mentioned in previous threads curing the consumption. Remember, the regional rep told the mechanic the reason they stopped putting "existing on the shelf" engines in cars was because those engines had the problem as well. So I think it is safe to assume the new engines will be just that, new. All I know is that I want to get it fixed and begin really enjoying this car.

John
Time for me to force the issue. I was hoping the line with the ECU re-program would fix the issue. Again, the Nissan 'Official' line is changes with the weather! I will be calling NNA tomorrow, (already have once and was told to go through the dealer), and get some action. BTW - you're absolutely right about enjoying the car. It more like enjoying it (driving a great road) and then remembering that you got to keep check constantly on the oil
Old 05-03-2007, 04:18 PM
ZPHILE

Default dBasal - dyno that sucker once it in to keep them honest!!!

Not sure what the wheel HP is of the Rev-up 6MT. But make sure that they match!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:43 PM
bofa

UPDATE:

Ughh... well, I guess one of us had to be the first to give them a shot at it. I haven't gotten my arbitration decision yet... hopefully in the next day or two. I sincerely hope that they are not allowed to just throw in this replacement engine. For your sake though, I hope it works.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:16 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by bofa
Ughh... well, I guess one of us had to be the first to give them a shot at it. I haven't gotten my arbitration decision yet... hopefully in the next day or two. I sincerely hope that they are not allowed to just throw in this replacement engine. For your sake though, I hope it works.

not to be negative...but dont you think tha has a high chance of happening for you? since the claims before were that the replacement engins were jsut thesame engine with the same problem and now theyre supposedly differnet and now nissan is claiming they really have a new fixit engine coming out for this problem?

but i personally hope you get an 07 or something

im jw

also maybe it the new engine might not apply to you since your filing was a while ago....or is the final word with no time limit? cuz then it might apply to you...but if there is a limit maybe you do get a new z....(im just thropwing things out there....)
Old 05-03-2007, 06:49 PM
bofa

No prob... I fully agree. I'm susceptible to having to deal with a replacement engine as well. My Z's fate lies in the hands of the arbitrator. Whatever he decides, goes. It's not like NNA can make a last minute call and tell them my engine is in and to hold off.

I can't say for sure that I will keep it if they do that though. Don't get me wrong, I love the car but this has rubbed me the wrong way and I'm at a point now where I don't even really need a car since my new job flies me to Denver every week and we still have the Xterra too. If they replace it, I will happily enjoy the 07 on the weekends and get it ready for track use. If they simply do a buy-back, I will definitely hold off on making a decision any time soon. I may dump it for a beater and wait for the GT-R. Who knows... I'm impatiently awaiting the decision.

Last edited by bofa; 05-03-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:51 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Time for me to force the issue. I was hoping the line with the ECU re-program would fix the issue. Again, the Nissan 'Official' line is changes with the weather! I will be calling NNA tomorrow, (already have once and was told to go through the dealer), and get some action. BTW - you're absolutely right about enjoying the car. It more like enjoying it (driving a great road) and then remembering that you got to keep check constantly on the oil
Yep, I start to enjoy it also and remember, oh, I'm probably low on oil lol
I would like to upgrade the stereo and do a few mods, but I refuse to do so until this issue is resolved!
I seriously doubt that it's an ECU issue. My advisor and mechanic also strongly feel it is a ring seating issue. After the Altima disaster, I don't think they want a sililar cause to our engines. I just hope these "new" engines have the fix.

John
Old 05-03-2007, 07:40 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by creationv2
is it the whole motor theyre changing out? or is it just the longblock or something?
The entire engine.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:44 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by bofa
I'm going to try to get as much info as possible as to what is different. The NNA person on the phone did not have the technical data, but I should be able to get something. If I can't, that would tell us a lot.

I just want to make sure that Nissan just didn't do something to detune the engine.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:49 PM
antennahead

I'm going to try to get as much info as possible as to what is different. The NNA person on the phone did not have the technical data, but I should be able to get something. If I can't, that would tell us a lot.

I just want to make sure that Nissan just didn't do something to detune the engine.
I don't personally think it's an ECU/tuning issue, I believe it's the rings not seating. The mechanic said the catalyst is so hot that unless you are burning an unbelievable amount, and maybe not even then, you will see no smoke as the oil is burned off.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion