Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Motul Diff oil with Nismo diff review inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 12:45 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motul Diff oil with Nismo diff review inside

First let me say thanks to Sharif for suggesting I use this. To be brief everyone by now should know the Nismo diff can be very knotchy and tempermental as to which oil you run. I tried four different oils to date with varying success. The first oil was during break in. I used the Veruspeed they include. Since it was break in I won't judge it based on that. Next went in some Royal Purple diff oil. The diff was notcy, loud, and very clunky. Next change I went to some Redline 75W-90. The oil was good but broke down very quickly. Where as the Royal Purple stayed consistently bad over 15k miles the Redline did not. It started good but was burnt up by 12,000 miles.The diff went back to being loud and obnoxious. So on recommendation I tried Amsoil 80W-90. This one flat out sucked My diff felt like it was being broken in all over again. From minute one I knew I wasn't going to be able to keep using this stuff. I don't mean to bag on Amsoil as a whole as I know several people love their engine oil but after my experience with their diff oil I'll never buy Amsoil products again. It was just that bad. Now on to the Motul. In talking with Sharif a while back he mentioned he was now carrying Motul gear oil and thought it might help a lot. So I got a bottle of SAE90 Motul gear oil from him. The price was relatively good considering it comes in a 2L bottle. I finally put it in last night and I couldn't be more happy. From the first slow speed part throttle turn this oil has been freaking amazing. The diff is now silent and smooth as butter. I have driven a few different types of diffs and it almost feels like my Nismo diff is the stock VLSD. I know its still working well as evidenced by the pair of stripes I left getting back on to the freeway this morning but its quiet, wokring well and extra smooth. I am not a big fan of friction modifiers so I have never added them and definitely don't need to now. For anyone with a clunky diff like the Nismo or Cusco MZ I would highly recommend this Motul SAE 90. Thanks again Sharif for recommendation and oil.

Link to oil:
http://www.forgedinternals.com/store...cat=278&page=1
Old 12-10-2006, 12:56 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

I am def. using Motul now. Which one do you use? Do you use friction modifier?

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=4596

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=4593

Last edited by zand02max; 12-10-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice to see it made you happy. I run Motul in my diff, brakes, and as of next oil change engine...
Old 12-10-2006, 03:19 PM
cowzrul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My diff makes a noise that I disregard as normal Z rear end whine. Your saying the Motul helps quiet that down?
The following users liked this post:
Eigen (11-12-2016)
Old 12-10-2006, 04:58 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wait a minute, you mean waited 12k miles to change your LSD oil for your nismo LSD?

I thought it said in the manual or something to change it every 4000-5000 miles....maybe that was if you abuse your car or something. I change mine ever 2nd oil change or so

I've only used redline oil in my nismo diff, but by itself it sucks. It's not until you add in some friction modifier that it starts smoothing out
Old 12-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Wow....a Nismo diff was tamed with Motul?? That was well beyond my expectations for the 90PA Motul diff oil. We had great results with the oil, but have never tried it in a Nismo diff. Let us know how it feels after a couple thousand miles too.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:17 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by sentry65
wait a minute, you mean waited 12k miles to change your LSD oil for your nismo LSD?

I thought it said in the manual or something to change it every 4000-5000 miles....maybe that was if you abuse your car or something. I change mine ever 2nd oil change or so

I've only used redline oil in my nismo diff, but by itself it sucks. It's not until you add in some friction modifier that it starts smoothing out
I never read that you have to change it every 4-5k miles. I have as a rule of thumb done it every 15k miles along with my plugs. With other oils it seemed ok. I pulled out the Amsoil on Sat night after 17k miles and it was clean as clean can be. Hardly looked used but didn't slip for ****. If the Motul holds up for this 15k I'll switch again then..
Old 12-11-2006, 07:17 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by PoweredbyZ
My diff makes a noise that I disregard as normal Z rear end whine. Your saying the Motul helps quiet that down?
By noise I mean the Nismo diff racket. if you don't have the Nismo diff or Cusco MZ diff you have no idea what I mean. It snaps and pops and sounds like the diff is broken but its not...
Old 12-11-2006, 07:19 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Wow....a Nismo diff was tamed with Motul?? That was well beyond my expectations for the 90PA Motul diff oil. We had great results with the oil, but have never tried it in a Nismo diff. Let us know how it feels after a couple thousand miles too.
Yeah it was like night and day. I drove into the bay with all the snaps and pops and loudness of a brand new Nismo diff and left the bay with it quiet as a mouse. i could not believe what a difference it made. I would if you would like put my review on the link to Motul oil for your site. if nothing changes on the next 10-15k miles I'm sold for life on using this stuff in the diff. Still using my Turbonetics TS-1 in the engine oil though. I actually need to order some RBF600 pretty soon to flush my brake and clutch system. Its about that time too.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:24 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by zand02max
I am def. using Motul now. Which one do you use? Do you use friction modifier?

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=4596

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=4593
i didn't use either of the ones you linked. Look at the link in my thread for the one I used. I don't and have never used Friction Modifier.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:30 AM
mavtais

The Redline stuff makes the diff buttery quiet too upon changing, but I concur that it breaks down very fast. It only takes me 1000 miles to start hearing the popping sound. Subscribing to see long-term results. I'm about due for another diff oil change soon, thinking about Motul instead of Redline.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Interesting. Carbonetics recommends changing the diff fluid once every 6000-9000 miles, depending on how hard the car is driven. This usually works out to about every 6-8 months for the typical driver. Curious to see how this works after more than 10,000 miles.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:00 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
i didn't use either of the ones you linked. Look at the link in my thread for the one I used. I don't and have never used Friction Modifier.
Mia, is that fluid only for Nismo type LSD's? I have the OEM LSD, just making sure.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:10 PM
SpeedRcr

I have motul in the oem lsd...great stuff
Old 12-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the review! I have redline in mine right now because I heard Motul is not that great when it comes to gear oil. I will have to give it a try since i am due to change the oil in there anyways
Old 12-11-2006, 04:15 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Interesting. Carbonetics recommends changing the diff fluid once every 6000-9000 miles, depending on how hard the car is driven. This usually works out to about every 6-8 months for the typical driver. Curious to see how this works after more than 10,000 miles.
I'll keep everyone posted. Doesn't take me long to rack up 10k miles believe me. The Amsoil that came out of the diff Sat night had 17k miles on it and it was clean as hell. I mean it honestly looked like it just came out of the bottle.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:15 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by zand02max
Mia, is that fluid only for Nismo type LSD's? I have the OEM LSD, just making sure.
No it doesn't matter. I wrote the review against the Nismo diff as thats what I have and its honestly the harshest diff out there IMHO.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:16 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
Thanks for the review! I have redline in mine right now because I heard Motul is not that great when it comes to gear oil. I will have to give it a try since i am due to change the oil in there anyways
Unless something changes in the near future the Motul is the poo of diff oils...
Old 12-11-2006, 05:57 PM
MIAPLAYA

OK so NOW I'm going to be called a nut swinger. Go ahead and post your smilies but I am freaking in love with this diff oil. Let me back track for a second. I changed oil about 170 miles from my house. Long story short a buddies turbo was going on, we had a lift, I did it there. So I haven't had a chance to really hit some of my favorite roads yet. Until tonight. I have posted (and others have as well) in the past about the push pull feeling the Nismo diff has. On turns in which you modulate the throttle (ie: gear changes up or down, long sweepers, or turns in which steering angle and throttle need to be altered) you could sort of feel the Nismo diff lock and unlock. At least I could. I'm not crazy, I had friends drive my car and make the same comment. This has always pissed me off about this diff. While its pretty predictable and easy to compensate for it was kind of unsettling. Well believe it or not its gone. Thats right its gone. I had the opportunity today to take some of my favorite back roads home from work. If you live in SD in the Escondido/Del Mar/Rancho Santa Fe area you should know Del Dios Highway and also the road along Lake Hodges. For those not from here its a long series of turns. Sweepers, hair pins, dog legs, s curves, you name it its there. In the past the only thing that ever pissed me off about this road (aside from traffic cause its a 2 lane road) is that I always felt a bit apprehensive about driving it with my diff doing what it always did. Especially since 95% of the road borders either a canyon or lake. I found myself driving at slower speeds than I wanted to just to make sure I could correct for what I knew was coming (diff lock/unlock crap). So tonight I hit the road pretty hard. Never once, not one single time did the car feel like it used to. I know for a fact the diff had to have locked/unlocked on some of these turns especially during gear changes. But never once did I FEEL the change. I finished the roads faster than I ever have and without one hint of notchiness. This oil is freaking amazing. I followed it up by a trip to Pep Boys to pick up a replacement tail lamp for the wifes Titan. The Pep Boys here has a rather small parking lot that ALWAYS induced the snap, pop, clunk of the Nismo diff. Employees outside used to ask me if I needed help figuring out what was wrong with my car. I had to always tell them it was normal and to shut up and sell some APC intakes. Not tonight. Not once, not one single time did the diff act how it used to. If this oil last for a decent amount of miles I will NEVER buy another diff oil again. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

ok, i'm sold... Sharif send me some ASAP!

Quick Reply: Motul Diff oil with Nismo diff review inside