Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Intake & Exhaust setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 04:52 PM
Sebastian777

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Intake & Exhaust setup questions

So I'm thinking of doing upgrading my intake & exhaust and getting the car tuned. (05 RevUp engine) My knowledge is pretty limited but I have done some research. BTW, car is daily driver.

Aside from the little bit of power I'll squeeze out, I'm looking to improve the sound. What I want:
1. Deepest sound possible, love classic V8 muscle car sound.
2. Don't want the weed eater or ricey sound.
3. Don't want anything obnoxiously loud. Do want to be able to hold a conversation or talk on the phone without speaking up at cruising speed. Do want to hear my exhaust when I'm on it even with radio at decent volume.

From what I understand, for sound purposes I'm best off going with HFCs instead of test pipes. From the exhaust videos I've listened to, I'm heavily leaning towards the Borla TD cat back, but videos suck for giving you an idea of they really sound like. Not that Borla tailpipes look bad, but plan on painting anything I get black.

Questions:
I know a lot of people like Berk HFCs. Why? Performance? Sound? Is there good budget alternative? Don't mind spending money, but if I can save some and not notice a difference at the end of the day...

Exhaust, as I mentioned I leaning towards the Borla TD. I know people have their personal choices, but is there cat back that will definitively serve my purposes better? Something much lighter in weight, provides more power, or has better (for what I want) sound? Is there anything (piping, resonator, etc) I need or should get on top of the cat back?

I'm leaning towards the Motordyne MREV2/ Plenum spacer. What's the difference between a 5/16" an 1/2" spacer? Why should I go with one and not the other? Also, is there a tangible difference between basic, ISO, and copper ISO?

I have an 05 35th Anniversary 6MT (RevUp). Do I have the "good" 350Z intake and should just get a drop in K&N panel filter, or will I benefit from an aftermarket intake?
The following users liked this post:
nizmo_0385 (12-18-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 05:57 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

how many different threads are you going to start asking basically the same question?
Old 12-17-2016, 06:25 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Just a heads up if your looking for better sound the oem exhaust sounds better then the borla... Just because most people who fork over the money for it won't admit it doesn't mean its not true...

If your looking for sound TD stands for true disappointment.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:35 PM
Sebastian777

Originally Posted by travlee
how many different threads are you going to start asking basically the same question?
While I may take a question that came about in the comments and make it PART of a new thread hoping to get more answers, every thread I have started has had it's own purpose.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:49 PM
travlee
Master

still a waste of server space... i know it is a hard concept, but be your own person and make your own decisions. the car has been out going on 14 years, and threads like this have been answered many times. its pretty bad when another user sent me a pm saying "i am glad you said what i was thinking"

Last edited by travlee; 12-17-2016 at 06:51 PM.
BluestreamDE (12-18-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 08:13 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Im gonna chime in since trav alreadt scold you.

Anyways difference between the 5/16 and 1/2 spacer is 3/16 of material, kinda obvious.

Secondly as far as the gasket goes, unless youre trying to have the absolute best, just get regular gasket. The coper and armid is heat trasfer and allow the intake to be cooler.​​​​

Nismo s tune is amazing sounding, regret i didnt take it off my other 350z before selling. But since its discontinued, itll be awhile before you find a used one. I went with stillen true duel on mine. Love it. Ive also had a borla and didnt like it too much. All personal opinion.

You love v8 sound, get a v8. A v6 will NEVER sound as good as a v8 regardless what you do to it.
Sebastian777 (12-17-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 05:34 AM
ZMoneyPIT

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

I've heard a v6 sound like a v8. Guy's G35 was struggling to stay alive/running lean after he installed a bunch of bolt-ons including a 4in. intake tube.
What they said btw.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:52 AM
Sebastian777

Originally Posted by travlee
still a waste of server space... i know it is a hard concept, but be your own person and make your own decisions. the car has been out going on 14 years, and threads like this have been answered many times. its pretty bad when another user sent me a pm saying "i am glad you said what i was thinking"
Actually you know what is a waste a server space? People being a dick and not helping out someone asking a question, just taking up server space being a dick. Yes, you sir have taken up just as much space as I did with my initial question. Using the search function on this forum is cumbersome because you find yourself wading through threads of people wanting to know the same answers, only to find people being a dick in the comments, which often times stops other people who want to helpful from chiming in. You end up wading so far back to a thread that was actually answered, by link that is longer valid. Hell, even some of the stickys are just a link that no longer works.

As far as me being my own person, I didn't ask "what's the best sounding exhaust". I explained what I wanted, showed that I have already done research by saying what I think is best for me, and then asked if anyone knew of something better. Most YouTube videos aren't that great for trying to figure out what an exhaust sounds like. Forgive me, but when I'm about to drop over $2000 on upgrades, I try to be as informed as possible.

Furthermore, if seeing similar posts bothers you, a person with over 28,000 posts can work with mods to put up to date stickies on the forum that can easily be linked to. I would suggest a stage 1 upgrade guide that explains all intake and exhaust components. What they do, how they affect the car, and hopefully before and after dyno and sound clips.
nizmo_0385 (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 12:41 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

So you read and done your research yet you are asking what's the difference between this part and that part is still? Looks like a personal problem with reading comprehension to me. There are plenty of dyno info on this site with every Bolton part actually and I am somewhat surprised you asked about the Spacers when if you read in here, there's a thread that has dyno charts from Motordyne themselves explaining each size spacers gains. Leave it stock. You are overcomplicating and overthinking it, you won't make over 260whp and by that time your car will be loud and you said you didn't want that.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:48 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Word to the wise.

If you're trying to find something specific here (or on any particular site), skip the onsite search; instead use the google "site" operand in the format "site:[ site URL ]" (without the brackets or spaces). Using this will search for specific items (not just threads) on the specified site only.

Example: koni yellow versus bilstein shocks 350z site:my350z.com

(Click the link to see the actual results page or just goog it yourself)

Much more precise and concise. Works with ANY site.
Sebastian777 (12-18-2016)
Old 02-26-2017, 05:21 PM
psychodreamz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could use your opinions

So I was thinking of putting a 3" HKS dual exhaust on my car with jwt pop charger and kinetic plenum....but recently was thinking it may be smarter to not do the plenum and add high flow cats instead. Can anyone give some advice or recommending a way to go please?
Old 02-26-2017, 06:16 PM
Sebastian777

Originally Posted by psychodreamz
So I was thinking of putting a 3" HKS dual exhaust on my car with jwt pop charger and kinetic plenum....but recently was thinking it may be smarter to not do the plenum and add high flow cats instead. Can anyone give some advice or recommending a way to go please?
Is budget the reason you don't want to do both?
Old 02-27-2017, 02:21 AM
travlee
Master

That and people never figure in tune costs
Old 02-27-2017, 04:29 AM
psychodreamz

Originally Posted by Sebastian777
Is budget the reason you don't want to do both?
yep exactly. ..when I do the one it's goin to be a bit before I can do the other... tho I eventually I'm going to get the other part.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:10 AM
Sebastian777

yep exactly. ..when I do the one it's goin to be a bit before I can do the other... tho I eventually I'm going to get the other part.
I would do exhaust first then. With my mods my car was running very lean before the tune. I would hold off on intake stuff until ready to tune.
psychodreamz (03-02-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 05:43 AM
psychodreamz

I would do exhaust first then. With my mods my car was running very lean before the tune. I would hold off on intake stuff until ready to tune.
ok thanks for the input..I've bin debating this for some time now.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:00 PM
psychodreamz

Default Thank you for help

So thanks agian for the help...now if maybe you or anyone could help and tell me if this (3" exhaust) is a good one I'm lookin for the HKS Hi powered dual exhaust. ...I'm not sure if its it or if hks had multiple exhaust and this is not the one. I tried there customers service but not to helpfull. Lol
https://www.carid.com/2004-nissan-350z-exhaust-systems/hks-304-ss-full-dual-series-cat-back-exhaust-system-114340184.html
Old 03-02-2017, 01:53 AM
travlee
Master

I would do motordyne tdx2 over hks. Also, look other places than carid
psychodreamz (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 07:18 AM
psychodreamz

That's a nice sounding exhaust from what I can tell from YouTube... Any idea where I can get a good price on it..everywhere I look it's like 1600+ I'm looking to try to stay around 11-12 at most. Thanks for input too by the way.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:20 AM
travlee
Master

That's a nice sounding exhaust from what I can tell from YouTube... Any idea where I can get a good price on it..everywhere I look it's like 1600+ I'm looking to try to stay around 11-12 at most. Thanks for input too by the way.
you just looking for cat back? another route you could do is the ART pipes and the Invidia Gemini... i ran this combo for a year or so and would be in your price range.

check out B2 auto designs, they do free shipping on most things. i got my tdx2 from them and they shipped it for free.

Last edited by travlee; 03-02-2017 at 07:22 AM.