Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Just bought my first Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 06:55 PM
zeroecko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first Z

Hey everyone, I just bought a 2003 350z Performance with 80k miles. It has a Kinetix intake manifold, a CAI with a Nismo tag, a high flow cat and exhaust system. It also is lowered and has some after market wheels.

I had one question to start, anyone in the Syracuse NY area or north of there, know a good place that knows Nissan performance that can look it over? I just want to see if it really has the cat, and if the exhaust is anything decent. I plan on adding some more things to it, like the AEM ECU and additional exhaust components if needed.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2017, 09:46 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

If the exhaust sounds/looks OK to you, what's the difference? Manufacturers' claims of HP/TQ gains on aftermarket exhausts are 99% bullsh!t, so don't expect any exhaust to make any noticeable difference in performance. Same goes for intakes. If you do some searching/reading on this site you see no one has made any huge gains with bolt-on parts on either a DE or HR. These cars are now 14+ years old, and there are no secrets left undiscovered, and it's all been done before.

Anyway, welcome aboard, and drive safely. If you post some pics, surely someone here will be able to tell you what you've got.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:27 AM
zeroecko

Thanks for the reply. You make a good point about the exhaust. I was just curious I guess, but if gains are minimal, who cares. It does sound good. Not too loud, a nice growl when you hit it.

I mostly want to make sure the intake manifold was done correctly.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:40 AM
dcains

If the engine is not throwing any codes, such as for a vacuum leak, you're very likely in good shape with the intake.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:46 AM
zeroecko

Ok cool. I'm overly concerned as its my first z, and it's 14 years old, so I would like the piece of mind knowing there's no issues I don't know about. I'm just going to let my concerns go, as I drove it 300 miles home with 0 issues.

thanks
Old 01-22-2017, 07:04 AM
dcains

Glad to hear it. As mentioned, drive safely and enjoy the "new" car.